Masters Running

Tuesday April 19 Daily Thread (Read 571 times)

Tramps

Looking forward to hear more details from our Boston runners.  A big congrats to all of you!  Be sure you get to see the broadcast of the race.  Lots of great running, but those late surges by Davila are awesome.  What heart!  Her form is pretty amazing, too.

No surges for me today.  Just 5.3 EZ miles in some warm and humid weather.

ETA.  RIP Grete Waitz

Be safe. Be kind.

Slo

Heya Tramps

Lots of fun yesterday...lots of great running. I've got so many boomarks to go back and read, watch etc. Vista and Mike...Fantastic job keeping us updated !

3rd morning in a row that I woke up to temps just above freezing and rain, oh and wind. We have had 5 days with sustained winds of 18 - 25 mph. I don't mind this coming to work but heading home...Oy...

Man, so close for an American Woman. I wish I could watch the last ten miles.

Thunder Showers forcasted for this afternoon. Could be a treadmill day <<<shivers>>>

K, lots to do, take care all.

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Hey Tramps,

Just a little lifting and  stepper this morning.

Had a great time in Boston this weekend - only problem was I didn't get to meet many imaginary friends.  Only saw the Pro and Hally during the race.

Sorry I couldn't make the Saturday festivities - work got in the way and forced a delayed departure.  By the time we got to the hotel, we just had enough time to unpack and head out to our dinner reservations.

Oh well, wait 'til next year (maybe).

Quick race stats - 1:22 first half, 1:24 second half.  "sick costume" - 2, "hey mardi gras man" 4, "hey um, er" (speechless - couldn't come up with the name for my costume) - 2,  "nice costume" - many, my response "what costume?"  "hey jester" or "hey joker" too many to count - but it was all good. 

Mike E

MM #5615

posted: 4/18/2011 at 8:26 PM

From lostinthenet3:

"Big fail for me. No offical finish 6:43 according to garmie. Weird how I'm embarrased by my Pr of 5:17 but proud that I actually did finish. Apeartly the pt and ortho surgen were right and you need an mcl and mencis to run who knew. It will be a while before I run again as it seems they were right and time to have it fixed properly. When things went bad at the 10k I said just let me get to were my Mom and dad were going to be and I would quit but after hearing them yell for me I said one more mile until 17 I actually belived I could to quote baddawg use dougernation to finish with an offical time that was until I watched them shut down the mats as I approached. Almost quit and then decided I had suffered to much to walk away now. By 22 I had decied if I was on the course until 10 pm it would not matter as long as I finished what I started. Weird as it was at 22 last yr I blew up in a shower of sparks. Actually I quit pushing through the pain last yr. It got real hard and I went into survive mode told myself it was ok and I have been regreting for a yr. Redemption today not by the clock but personally Inside I learned I can will myself to go on. It's true the body will achieve what the mind tells it to."

This is what I'll remember most from yesterday.  To go through everything he went through physically--and then seeing the mats being taken up in front of him--but he kept on going--that does not look like a "failier" to me!

lamerunner

Good morning. Ambulatory but feet are sore and I got quite sunburned.  It was warm in  the middle sections !  Probably no run today; but I will try to swim if the schedule permits. 

Pretty happy with yesterday all things considered. Faded a little  in the middle but revived and  felt strong in the hills and through mile 25 or so, when I felt like I had had enough. First half 1:45:26; second half 1:51 and change.  I will write a report at some point.

Sorry about Grete; I did not know she was so ill.

nice running everyone and Boston peeps, rest up!

ETA: it takes a lot of courage to do what lostin the net did yesterday. Congrats and heal up!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Wow, I slept like a log after yesterday!     Amazing running by everyone!   Just being there had got to be such a joy, no matter the finish time.    Lostinthenet is proof of that.  

I love your Jester picture PBJ!     Too bad you didn't get to meet up with all the imaginary friends that were there.  Sad

Out for 5 hard miles this morning.   My legs are feeling pretty dead, plus is was pretty windy out.   I was going to cut it short at 4.5 miles, but once I have a number in my head it is hard to give it up, so I took a few more little turns.    I saw a few little glowing eyes, but they were smart enough to move before the Brinkster got too close.   I figure a week from today or tomorrow I'll be home delivering puppies!!  Smile   As you can see, she's about ready to pop. 

Happy Tuesday!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy post Marathon Tuesday to all the runners.  My condolence to lostinthenet on an official DNF, but applause for a very official "I finished anyway".

I need to find a new hotel for the next time down to NJ.  I really didn't want to get up and face the elliptical this morning, but I did and when I got down at 6 when the fitness room was supposed to open, the card wouldn't work.  when I found the manager he said that it was now open at 8am becasue people had complained about the noise, but he could open it at 7:45.  I said I'll be at work for alomsot an hour at that point Roll eyes.  Hate getting up, but hate even more being told that I can't work out.  Blah

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

.....mixed

morning......

''WannaRun/UseSomeSense/WannaRun/UseSomeSense''>>>>>>>repeat 10-times then go PoolRunning.....

======

......26min poolrun

but I WannaRun>>>>>>>UsingSomeSense, Thursday is 2nd RunDay

this UseSomeSenseStuff

is annoying.

..............................good running guys.................UseSomeSense....

...unless you can GetAwayWithIt......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mariposai

Are we all feeling the blues today after yesterday's exciting day? Wow, this was a busy place, with 11 pages! Since I was in classroom all day long I had no time at all to even read the results until I got back home last night and it was fun readying the progression of the race.

Boston runners, we are so proud of you!!! Take it easy and please BASK in your victory.

Today will be a forced rest day for me since my asthma is totally misbehaving (they painted the building at work over the weekend and the fume really affected me badly). Needless to say, I am staying home today. DG, if you have the chance call me anytime!

I hope Tracy Burdy with this magnificent rendition of "Adapt" helps us get over the Post Boston blues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fef-aG-a06I

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

posted: 4/18/2011 at 8:26 PM

From lostinthenet3:

"Big fail for me. No offical finish 6:43 according to garmie.

no clock can make running 26.2 miles a failure.

I dare anyone to say TeamHoyt failed 'cause it took

them more than seven hours this year.
                      I used to think so too but I now know I never do even when I do.

Besides, for many of the now-3,733 Marathon Maniacs 

for whom having great exercise and a good time

are more important than what the clock says,

it's official too:

If you finish after the official closure time of the event,

you can still count the event in your stats.

http://marathonmaniacs.com/faq_criteria.html

ps - I think you are ready to join anytime you want

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dave59

Life goes on, post Boston.  4.5 medium effort miles this morning. 

No post-Boston blues at all and always moving forward I say...too many new experiences await.

I am sad to hear of Grete Waitz's passing---far too young. Amby Burfoot's posting in Runner's World on-line just now is well done and honors her memory eloquently. She is one of my heroes like Joan Benoit Samuelson and Kathrine Switzer. Big loss.

Look at that Hailey! She is almost ready or what?! 

Tet says it well----no failures at all with this group.

I was all set to head to the park for a walk while the kiddo runs laps, but will wait until we get another non-rain interlude. It's a gentle rain, but I don't feel like heading out in it just yet. I'll walk a few days this week and then plunge back into my next running fun. Local half-marathon on Mother's Day and a fun run 5k at my 25th college reunion a week later. Yee haw!

The second American male finisher yesterday, Zach Hine, is from a town one over from mine so all the local papers are buzzing. He trains with the same group that Desiree Davila does. 23 years-old and ran a 2:16 in his very first marathon. 

Lostinthenet - Congratulations on gutting it out, with or without an "official" time.  Most people would've quit.  You are decidedly NOT a quitter or a loser or a failure.  We're all extremely proud of you, just as I'm sure your parents are.

TomW - +++1  *snicker*

Mary - Oh!  She looks like she's tired of being pregnant. Sweet baby.

20 min of core this a.m., and am hoping for a pool run tonight. Drove our truck today for the first time since I've been on crutches.  I stood there for a moment blinking and trying to figure out how I was going to lift myself up and into the cab when I can't push off with my left foot.  All I can say is thank goodness I have been diligently working on my upper body strength.  It's not anything to write home about, but it was enough to do the job. Roll eyes

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

No post-Boston blues at all and always moving forward I say...too many new experiences await.

Smile

Dg – so sorry for the loss of your cat.  This sure has been a tough time for you lately. 

TomWhite – tell me about Gulf Shores.  Always looking for new ideas for family vacation spots, and we’ve never been to that part of the country.

Thunderstorms last night and into the early morning, and I wasn’t feeling that motivated anyway.  4 easy-paced miles on the TM (10:20).

It’s supposed to rain all day, and DS has a track meet tonight.  I wasn’t sure if they cancel track meets when it rains, so I made him pack extra clothes and an umbrella, while he rolled his eyes at me (aww, Mom).  I kind of hope they do cancel it, because I'm not particularly looking forward to sitting out in the rain to watch.  Oh well, at least it's supposed to be fairly mild.

DH went with me to the running store recently and found a sleeveless tech shirt on the rack there.  “Try this on,” he said, “This would be perfect for the summer.”  I tried it on, and it was nice enough, but it’s a Tri shirt, with pockets in the back, and, well, ridiculously expensive, to my mind ($70).  “Buy it,” he said, “it looks great on you.”  But I really don’t need another running shirt, and I don’t do Tris and there are about 15 things I’d rather do with that amount of money, given my druthers.   Well, he showed up last night with that shirt in a bag, having stopped after work to buy it for me.  What to do, what to do...  I really don’t want the shirt, and we don’t need that expense right now, but I hate to hurt his feelings by returning it.  And, while I suppose I should be flattered, it’s sort of irritating the way he likes to “dress me up.”  Roll eyes  What should I do?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...holly//......will send you link after work...

.........one of My Favorite Places,,,,,,,very Family Friendly,,,,,,

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....