Masters Running

TGIF - Friday 4/26/24 (Read 36 times)

Dave59

Ohayou Masters.

Tet - I'm sort of sorry about steering you to the Mt. Fuji 100 coverage. I thought you might see a bunch of scenery from your past time in the area.  I didn't know it would just be cameras at the aid stations, although, it was still interesting to tune in once-in-a-while. Usually the coverage has drones and people with cameras running with the leaders. I saw Courtney's post race interview this morning. All smiles and saying how grateful she was to run on such a beautiful course and watch the sunrise. Sounds like a really nice person.

Hope you are feeling better Enke.

Does anyone like the new Garmin layout? I am still struggling to get it setup in a way that I can see at a glance what I used to see at a glance.

Any NFL fans here? The poor Buffalo Bills fans stayed up until 1:00AM only to see the Bills trade out of the first round. I was sound asleep and unaware of the stress the team put its fans under.  I've watched some reaction videos on YouTube this morning.

Rest day for me. I went to the lab this morning to give them a couple vials of blood in preparation for my annual physical next Tuesday. The best thing about the lab work and physical is that it will knock hundreds of dollars off the medical premiums I pay each month. ($200-$400 depending on results that they spread out over all the remaining pay periods.)  I'm still getting used to the incentives at my new employer. They are pretty good but it is a bit confusing at times. There are incentives you can't do until you do others and the annual physical unlocks a lot of options.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Dave - thanks again.

Fortunately, I could benefit

from a lot of the background

undercurrent Japanese

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

Yes, another one...

Thanks for the start, Dave. Enjoy your rest day, and thanks for donating blood this morning. As dnaff said, taking charge of your health (and health care plans) is not easy. Nice 4.18 podcast run yesterday. I used to get the local paper delivered (it only comes out weekly) until I started not getting a paper more often than not. Now I read it online because that is the only way I can reliably read it when it comes out. I watched a little of the Mt. Fuji 100 yesterday - thanks for posting the link - interesting coverage.

I have to play around with the new Garmin Connect layout some more to see if it is an improvement, or just something different for the sake of having something different.

I hope you are wearing those aches and soreness from your 5K with pride, Tet. And I hope they are gone today.

Good 5.5 mile clubhouse run, KSA. Sorry about RE's late night wake-ups, but I'm glad you can quickly get back to sleep.

Nice 5.4 miles in the chill with the SS crew, Deeze. I hope you are starting to recover from your latest marathon work stretch.

I hope your latest round of lab results are wonkless, dnaff. Yes - taking charge of one's health is definitely a full-time job, but still worth the effort.

Sounds like a good pool and tree workout, BTY. Enjoy your mini mystery-location vacation with DW - well earned!

Econo: Because it (the Garmin) can.

Very sorry about the sickness and missed team dinner, Enke. By the fact that you weren't the only one laid low suggests some bad food somewhere along the line. That's a heck of a way to get loose jeans.

Nice work on your 'flat' 2 mile run, Surly Bill, and I'm glad the knee behaved.

Good 3 miles in the mill, Steve, and a DD of PT.

Much to my surprise, I woke up about 40 minutes later than usual today. It was a little too late to head out for an RW workout, so I stayed in for 70 minutes of core work and weights. Someone on another forum mentioned 'goblet squats' so I tried them this morning, and think I'll keep them in my routine. I also did leg lifts (front and side), planks, bridges, sit ups, dead bugs, bird dogs, some balance exercises, and my weights work. I'll try to get out for a walk a little later this morning. I have a racewalking training session tomorrow, and then a 10K race on Sunday.

Have a greta Friday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

Oh—I thought it was just my Garmin acting up… I don’t like it… I don’t like changes…

Jlynne

Does anyone like the new Garmin layout? I am still struggling to get it setup in a way that I can see at a glance what I used to see at a glance.

Probably God's way of telling us we don't need all of this "technology!" I'm still using a Timex Ironman watch that's like a zillion years old. I don't need any fancy watches telling me how slow I'm getting!

Thanks for two starts today guys - Jay and Dave. And sorry about the Bills making you stay up so late. This whole "start the NFL draft at 6:00 at night" is just insane anyway. And is anyone else besides me tired of seeing Roger Goodell yet?  

Feel better Enke.

6.59 walk/run miles this morning. I took some time to stop and take pictures. Things are starting to bloom here, and I passed a pickleball court at 6:30 this morning that was full of people playing in winter coats! It was only41 degrees and really windy. Gotta love Wisconsin folks!

Having lunch with my DS's #1 and 2 today. Looking forward to it! Have a great Friday everyone.

Jay- I DON'T get back to sleep easily.  It's really taking a toll, and I've had to nap- and I never was a napper!

Enke- sounds like norovirus.  I got that once at a big annual sales meeting.  I was SO SICK.  I hope you feel better.

Thanks for the starts, Jay and Dave.   I haven't done anything yet.  I'm planning my strategy....

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dave - hope the blood work looks good

Jay - what race are you doing Sunday? I'm going to Dedham for the James Joyce Ramble 10k - not racing it tho!!!!

Enke - hope you feel better quickly

GARMIN - I AM NOT A FAN OF CHANGE

45 min Power Zone Ride, post-ride stretch, 20 min chest and back, 10 min core then did 2 more 5 min standing core classes so my mother could try them out - they are a little too quick paced I think for her

Have a great Friday friends!! I am supposed to be getting the girls after they are done with gymnastics today - I'm going to watch the end of practice and take them here for an overnight. Will be less than a 24 hour visit, but I will take whatever time I can get with them!!

denise

How-Do, Friends -

Thanks for the start, Jay.  I like goblet squats.  This whole butt thing has seriously derailed my leg strength training program, so I' jealous of your goblet-squatting. 

Hope you feel better soon, Enke!

About half an hour of PT work this a.m.  Upped the game on 3 levels, so we'll see how it goes.  After work, it'll be more PT and strength training.

I think I told 1 of the 2 secretaries we had in this dept was let go last Monday.  We keep finding things that she was screwing up.  So, everyone has a folder that they can send scans to.  Me - I use mine only when I'm using the copier to scan large jobs.  The scan folder is supposed to be a temporary folder.  You scan the documents in, get them named, then move them out and into the client folders.  Nothing is supposed to stay in your respective scan folder.

We discovered that she has well over 1,000 documents in her scan folder that, before the left last Monday, she tried to hide by moving them to another support person's scan folder and asked her to file them.  I got them moved back into her folder because the other support person shouldn't be doing anything with the documents, and now I get to figure what can be deleted, if anything's actually been saved to the respective client folders, etc.  I tell ya, sometimes it feels like this department is cursed . . . 

On that note, welcome to Friday ~~

Friday's Odds and Ends – Maryann Writes

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

oh wow, that many scanned docs in a temp folder and now having to go through it all sounds like a nightmare Leslie. I'm sorry.

went for a quick run yesterday after work - only about 3.5 miles I think . It was crazy windy. the cold and rain front moved in late last night.  I'm only working til noon today so hopefully I'll hit a window of dry weather and get in another run. 

Watched a bit of the draft last night but then at 7:30 as I was channel flipping, I saw the documentary 26.2 to Life on espn - the story of San Quentin inmates who joined the running club and then ran a marathon - in the prison yard!  One guy even got a BQ with his prison yard marathon and was able to run the Boston Marathon upon his release. 3:03. pretty damn good!

I feel like someone mentioned this documentary once upon a time ?   I always like at the end of those shows how they give updates on certain people that were highlighted in the documentary. I was impressed that of the 45 formers members of San Quentin's 1000 mile club that were released from their sentence, that none of them have re-offended upon release.

Tammy

Went over to the path and neighborhoods near it for 4.5 miles that felt pretty awful.  Legs were tired.  Hopefully, tomorrow's longer run will be better.  It's going to be pretty warm tomorrow for the Rock n Roll marathon/half.

I'm not sure I could run without my Garmin.  I love the data and technology and the freedom to veer off my courses and still know my distance.  Back in the day we would measure our coursed with cars or bicycles and if a road was closed or something, it really messed things  up!  Smile  I also like tracking my heart rate.  I really don't think Apple watch is nearly as good for running as Garmin, but I wear that, too, so I don't lose the data and exercise credit to get my rings closed!  The important things in life....

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

I was impressed that of the 45 formers members of San Quentin's 1000 mile club that were released from their sentence, that none of them have re-offended upon release.

Very impressive.

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

coastwalker

Deeze, I'm doing the Great Island (NH) 10K on Sunday - that's Henry's old stomping ground from when he lived in Portsmouth.

I got out for a 4.2 mile walk after proofing documents all morning. I just walked, but at a decent pace for what it was, as opposed to racewalking. And I was surprised at how much more fatigued my legs were at the end than after appreciably longer RW workouts. Different muscles, different motion, I guess. But that walking stuff is hard!

Carry on...

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

bioguy

Well I haven't exercised much since Sunday; Mrs Bio has had multiple visits to a vein clinic to have varicose veins dealt with and the treatments leave her mostly unable to stand in place, so I have done all the cooking and washing up this week. I do a lot of that anyway, but, my graduate course load is really heavy this week.

I downloaded the 12 pages of paperwork I need to officially retire and get a pension. There are six different options for how you would like your  money to be paid out and once you pick, you can never change it so I tried to get several opinions. Kind of like betting who will die first- me or Mrs Bio. This evolved into a conversation about what would happen if one of us dies and the other becomes involved with a new partner and how that would affect inheritances for our children....

I'm going to head to the Y after school though I really should mow the lawn.

3M, 375' of climbing on the flat, cross-hill route. At least I can go running right from the door instead of driving someplace like I do at home.

May be an image of ‎map, road and ‎text that says '‎D mapbox Ellison Onizuka Kona International Airport At Keähole 하소 100m Keohokalole Ane arm 00 KEAHOLE Rider Farms Hwy Makalej OE Mamalahoa D The Vanillerie KALAOA Ka iminani Dr Wawaloli Beach Makako Bay Dr Ahikawa St MelomeloSt13 St13 KolaoaHawailan Kolaoa Hawailan Home Land 물, 8 Ihumoe St 190 11 ร่ 5 Ooma Beach 9 6 10- Kay'sKi Kitch 200m 5 55t St Hamo St Pine Tree Cafe Akamai St Hulikoa Dr Kohanaiki 190 Manu Ănini St Mele ري St Lani Hina 300m PALANI JUNCTION‎'‎‎

At times I regret not going Garmin, since it's a bigger platform. At other times I like that I went Polar, because I don't have any problems.  No one wants to mess with the Polar app.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Tramps

I was impressed that of the 45 formers members of San Quentin's 1000 mile club that were released from their sentence, that none of them have re-offended upon release.

Maybe they can run fast enough now to not get caught anymore.   Kidding!  It is impressive.

Didn't watch it but the NFL draft is big news around these parts since everyone's hoping Jayden Daniel is one step towards putting out the dumpster fire that is the Washington Commanders.

Wrapping up my cross-training yard project this weekend. Lots of muscles I don't use much have been getting serious workouts. So far I've been smart enough to pace myself and not overdo it. So nothing to report for me, just checking in to see what y'all have been up to.

Have a great weekend!

Be safe. Be kind.