Masters Running

Fabulous Friday, April 8 Daily (Read 485 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning!

First and foremost, my thoughts and prayers have been with Leslie.   {{{{hugs}}}}

Happy belated anniversary Mr. & Mrs. Henrun!

I know there were a lot of other things from yesterday's thread to comment on, but I can't think after reading Leslie's short post.       Today is a rest day for me.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Morning all,

I have a busy day planned ,drain cleaner coming to rental property between 8:00 am and 12, hopefully closer to 8:00, bank, Sams,Meijer, and then home for cat nap. I am supposed to go to trainer this afternoon, but if drain cleaner takes to long I don't know.  My back is really sore and my quads are sore as well.  Maybe my cholesterol meds. Hope everything is ok Leslie!!!!!

C-R

Another busy week and little post time.

Hope everything is/will be ok Leslie.

Just got some motivation to run this week. I guess Spring helps but looks like my next race is just for fun. That's good too. As the say in golf, play it as it lies.

With fish fry, DSx2 soccer tournament, and getting the house ready for sale who knows what miles are out there.

Enjoy the warmer weather and perhaps watch some of the Masters as it will bring out the blooms in one's soul. It really is one of the most beautiful places I've ever walked (even if you're not a golf fan). I would love to run there (too). Now that would be a great story.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Thoughts and prayers headed your way Leslie.

This is the last week of biggest loser at my office.  I'm currently in 2nd, at 10% loss thus far.  Final weigh in is Monday.

Liftin', steppin', and spinnin' this mornin'. 

I will be giving blood tomorrow morning.  I know I'm pushing it since there's only 9 days 'til Boston, but I want to keep the donation streak going.  OCD as I am, this will be donation #128 - 16 gallons.  Just need to drink plenty of fluids over the next week.

Enjoy the weekend everyone.

Dave59

My thoughts are with Leslie as well this morning.

I'm hanging out on the fringes of being sick, maybe.  I can work (job), and I can do enough to keep things going around the house, but I'm very tired and most my joints ache.  So I don't have any thoughts of any running or gym trips.  The idea of a slow stroll around the block to get some fresh air sounds good, so maybe a SWAL (slow walk at lunch) today.

Leslie—I hope there’s some better news for you today; we’re all thinking about you.

Belated happy anniversary to Marj & Henry and Byll & Deb.

Slo—I know about age-grading but hadn’t thought of your “new AG, new PRs” approach!

Karin—I liked your food commentary yesterday. It reminded me of Michael Pollan; do you know his work?  Here’s a good one (long): “Eat food.  Not too much.  Mostly plants.”

Erika—I laughed when I read your surprise at the comments from the coach of Holly’s son.  You clearly never met any of my hockey coaches as a kid.  Black eye

Dave--hope you feel better soon.

Left the Garmin on yesterday, so it had a dead battery this morning.  I know it was 5.4 miles and felt kind of sproinky so I’m going with EZ 8:25.

Have a good weekend.

Go racers!

04/09 TammyinGP - Pear Blossom 10 mile, Medford, OR

04/09 OrangeMat - River Edge Run 5k, River Edge, NJ

04/10 CNYrunner - Ron Hebert 8 mile race and co-race director, Florence MA

04/10 Mike E - Hogeye Marathon, Fayetteville AR

Be safe. Be kind.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

leslie - ditto on the best wishes

Mary thanks for the start today! Enjoy the rest
                Derrick - watch that soreness. Maybe rub some Biofreeze or bengay in to ease it
                C-R - we kinda missed spring here in TX. It was 72F and humid at 6am this morning!
                Dave - get well fast. I hate being sick, well physically at least. I sometimes enjoy mental illness! LOL
                Tramps - I hate when I let the garmin run down since I LHR run. Have been known not to head out without the garmin. Good job on overcoming the garmin disease! LOL

Well I got out there this morning! Took Zoe for her walk, she shortened it by sitting down and insisting on going home...Then I took an uphill walk, slow jog the declines loop back to the house, ~1.9 mi. Took shoes and socks off to go BF for 2.3mi. Did over 1mi on the asphalt to get feet more used to it. I may be able to join a BF group with a 5k in May on mostly asphalt so need to get them used to it. No problems with the calf during the BF segment, but some tightness during uphill walks after downhill slow jog. Using a high knee walking form eases the calf but feels so dang awkward. 

As to form. I've been going barefoot around the house and noticing a slapping noise, which I wouldn't think is good form. The only way I can walk quietly is to land on the ball of my foot, almost tip toe style. Feels awkward. Question I guess is walking on ball of foot proper form and useful for running? I've kinda thought landing flat on ball/heel is the desired approach and enough problem with that!

bob e v
                2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Marathon Maniac #957

Derrick – I love cat naps…

Bobev – I have read that walking barefoot like that helps strengthen the muscles in the foot as well as helping running form.  I have such tender feet, I am hoping to get some Vibrum 5Fs this summer to practice that.

Erika – I think it’s sweet that your DH rescues you on runs. 

Rest day, sort of.  45 minutes of P90X Core Synergistics today, followed by 1.4 miles on the TM (10:31).

DS’s track meet was pretty cool last night, and he seemed to do well (his form is looking much better) and placing well in his heats, although they didn’t tell him his times or announce the results.  (?)  I e-mailed to coach this morning to see if they plan to post the results online.

{{{Leslie}}}

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Renee the dog

I will be giving blood tomorrow morning.  I know I'm pushing it since there's only 9 days 'til Boston, but I want to keep the donation streak going.  OCD as I am, this will be donation #128 - 16 gallons.  Just need to drink plenty of fluids over the next week.

How am I supposed to kick your arse with all that fresh blood coursing through your veins??!!  Wink

(Hey a girl can dream, can't she??!!)  Rainin' here at the coast, so we're going to have a hot tub party in a few minutes.  My run is scheduled for "sometime today."  Taper is fun that way!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Mike E

MM #5615

With my phone on my night stand, I kept checking this site all night to see if Leslie ever checked back in.  Geeze--I've only been hanging out with you guys for a month or so and I'm already losing sleep over being worried about one of you!  Leslie--I pray that whatever it is you're dealing with that God will see you through it. 

I took the day off work so I could get ready for my trip to Arkansas.  I hate flying, so I usually get my son-in-law to take these road trips with me.  He should have been a truck driver because he can just drive and drive and never gets tired.  Although his driving scares me to death and he likes to eat corn nuts, which are the stinkiest things ever invented but, other that that--we have a pretty good time.  (How's that for gratitude?  I get him to drive me to my marathons--using his fuel efficiant car--and I complain about his eating habits--hey--I let him marry my daughter--he owes me!)

Oh, hey, Dave--I know it doesn't work for everybody, but when I'm not feeling good, a run almost always makes me feel better. 

Bobev--"I sometimes enjoy mental illness!"  That's classic!  I'll have to use that one. 

Holly--be careful with the Vibrams--I know some people swear by them--just be careful.  Oh--and I can't get the picture of your son, with his "flipper feet" running down the track, out of my head!

Mariposai

Butterfly hugs to ALL who need it today!

Shall RAW and I hope not in the freezing rain again!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

{{{{{{{{Leslie}}}}}}}}}

Home opener for the Tigers today so I will be heading down to Detroit in a few hours. Hope the rain gets through in time. Friday is usually my speed work day (be what it may) but my legs just didn't have it in them today so instead of pushing I laid back with a short easy run instead. 3.5 miles in 34:00ish minutes. Thinking of ballpark smells and sounds the whole way. Big grin

Play Ball!!

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

HermosaBoy

Leslie -- still in my thoughts and prayers.

Safe travels and good racing Mike!

Holly, I have Vibrams and use them as a training tool.  Take it easy with them -- your legs get a bit beat up...

2.5 leisurely miles this morning with Miss Rosie.  41 degrees @ 5:45?  Should've worn shorts!!!

Happy Friday all!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

{{{{{{{Leslie}}}}}}} Continued thoughts and prayers going out to you

Ran 11.4 miles at 7 am---a tempo/interval workout---30 minutes really easy warm-up and then 3x 8 minutes at 5k pace (3 minutes easy), and 3x 40 seconds all out (1), rest of the miles back home at easy, easy cool down pace. Only 30 degrees when I left my house but going into the 50s later and the 60s this weekend.

Thanks Tramps! I do know Michael Pollan's work and read just about everything he puts out there about food. Mr. CNYrunner worked at the Culinary Institute of America years ago (in administration) and I had the great fortune to meet folks like Pollan---foodies and chefs alike. 

Busy weekend ahead but all fun....tonight I am going to a special screening of a PBS documentary about the Freedom Riders. Super Granny is my date and the screening is at Symphony Hall in Springfield and just down the hill from her place. Tomorrow I have to pick up trophies and socks (for all finishers) for the 8 mile race I am co-directing with Dr. J on Sunday. I am running it as a sweep runner and will be DGL on purpose. Also wedged in there is going along with the kiddo and his girl friend who is NOT A GIRLFRIEND MOM! Kiddo is teaching her to ice skate and they need a ride. They've been friends since grade school and now I am seeing that he wants to spend time with just her....AAck!

Thank you for donating PBJ---I wish I could (have a recessive blood issue that isn't good for donation). 

Holly---try some barefoot strides and drills on the grass (or even the infield of your son's track) as a way to get into it and before you move to pavement or as part of the transition.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Thinking about Leslie....

Very consistent GA run. 6 miles in 47:35 (7:55, AHR 156)
                                Splits:
                                7:57 (159)
                                7:54 (154)
                                7:56 (155)
                                7:59 (156)
                                7:54 (154)
                                7:53 (157)

Was planning getting up at 5 am and running 13 mi.... reset alarm and got up at 7am , walked the dogs 2 miles and planned on running 10 mi.  At mile 4, I decided on 6 miles total.   Happy for that choice!  Be flexible!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova