Masters Running

Monday January 5 back-to-work runs and stuff... (Read 481 times)

Slo

dg Thanks for asking. The race is Feb 7th so I am just starting to get into the "race specific" stage of my training program. My Goal is a 27:00 min finish time......6:45 pace.....which, if i can accomplish, should make the race very close. As PRE would say.....it'll be a pure guts race. Last year the three of us...co-workers....all finished within 15 secs of each other with a bet that was made just moments before the starting gun. This year we threw down the challenge back in Oct. I'm the oldest in the bunch. 43....30 and 27. I do not plan on losing. Well, maybe losing my cookies in the finishing chute Big grin
      Three recovery TM miles for me this morning (25:45), followed by an hour of pilates. It's been quite some time since I did pilates so I am sure my abs will be complaining tomorrow. I have a hard time forcing myself to do core work so I figure this will be a good way to make myself do it. dg, I hope the piriformis problems clear up soon. Taking it easy is probably a good idea. Erika, have fun in Florida. You are going to be in for quite a temperature change there, but it will be nice to run outside on dry ground. JLynne, great news about signing up for a half. I have been thinking about signing up for a 10 miler in April. I need to just do it - as they say. Perch, you mentioned that you are marathon training now and so you are getting your long runs up there. I am not even starting any sort of marathon plan until April or May so I guess my question is more whether these 20 plus mile runs are useful outside of marathon plans. Maybe you never even have a period where you aren't either in marathon training or recovery from? This seems likely to me because you run at least a couple marathons a year. Anyway, thanks to twocat and Perch for chiming in on it. I am sold on the idea of several 20 plus milers in the marathon buildup. Holly, that cake sounds divine. Thanks for the recipe. Hope your toe is feeling better.

Once a runner . . .

TammyinGP

Holly, glad you enjoyed that recipe . . . . however serving it with vanilla ice cream is one of the things that makes it not 'low cal' Tongue But I agree, it's not exactly a low cal recipe - although using fat free cream cheese can help a bit. It is soo good though, isn't it?!! Today is a rest day for me. Back to work, back to school. Enjoyed the play off games this weekend, even if my Vikings and Colts lost Sad Some unexpected wins, which makes it all the more exciting. Have a good day everyone!

Tammy

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Hi jdmom! I'm not worried about sore abs anymore...I'm worried about flab abs. Too many Christmas goodies. Cut it out, Holly. No running today - just lifting and an hour spin cycle. Over the weekend, I went 7 miles Sunday, and 14 miles Saturday. I also had an hour session with Louie the barber. I've been seeing him for 33 years, but he has customers that have been with him for 50 years. His hands are as steady as ever. Amazing.

Marathon Maniac #957

But I agree, it's not exactly a low cal recipe - although using fat free cream cheese can help a bit.
            Perhaps, but I think the stick of margarine kind of offsets the fat free cream cheese....Big grin Worth it, though...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Morning, Folks - I didn't have a chance to look at yesterday's thread, but will as soon as I can. No workout for me today. Have a CT scan at 11:30 and haven't been able to eat or drink anything since midnight. I'm thirsty! Also talked to my coach about my ankle and he thinks I strained or stressed the calcaneo-fibular ligament and the anterior talo-fibular ligament. Whew! Much better than the stress fracture I was worried about. Will be sticking to the bike and upper body and core exercises for the balance of the week, then gauge how things are doing. Mariposa - I'm with you on the work thing. How I'm going to work an entire week this week after only working 4 days in the last two weeks is beyond me. Wink Holly - I, too, would love to keep the weight loss thread going. It helps to keep me accountable. Later!

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

King of PhotoShop

Let me share a couple of stories with you this morning, since it's a non-running day for me. Last year I was running with a friend of mine here in Coppell, who is a member of my club at the lake. He is a pretty strong ultramarathoner named Scott Eppelman. You can Google him to see some of his accomplishments but take my word for it, he is good. It seems to me the guy never has an injury despite all these events he runs in. I asked him about it during our run and he told me that the instant he feels anything that even might be an injury he immediately backs off from running and "goes after it." In December, Billy Rodgers spoke at the White Rock Marathon expo and he too spoke about injuries. He made an interesting comment about runners' attitudes regarding injury. He said that serious runners tend to attack their runs and races, putting a lot of effort and focus into them, which we all know is true, but he also commented that when runners get injured, they have to put that same energy and focus into "attacking" the injury. He then cited all the poor habits many injured runners get into: the Stick, the chiropractor, running through it in hopes it will go away, advice from other runners ("did you ever have this? I have this.") and then the experimentation with various stretches, instead of just fully focusing on the injury itself. I saw myself in all the examples he gave, and also realized I don't do the things that Scott does. I thought over the weekend that I have had a wonderfully successful mileage buildup, 3 weeks in a row of 30 miles each, and 25 miles last week. I think this week I am just going to take it easy, work at the Y on core stuff all week and see if by attacking this right butt discomfort I can recover from it. So far it is working well and during today's exercise set I had several instances where I felt no discomfort in the area where I was feeling a twinge or two. I'll let you know how it goes. One of the instructors worked with me over the weekend to change the way I do lunges, so that after the lunge, (let's say my right foot is forward and my left is the trailing leg), I now lift my left trailing leg off the floor and hold an "airplane" position, arms extended outward, for a few seconds. If you do this you can really feel the left glute working harder. So I'm learning as I go. I had a great core session this morning. No running today. dg, that approach sounds reasonable. You should be able to do that machine work following a recovery run, and that distance was just about right. jdmom, I am also a believer in the 20+ mile LR all through a training cycle. I am working with someone now whose marathon is not until spring and this athlete is doing 20 milers every other week right now. Spareribs
                  In December, Billy Rodgers spoke at the White Rock Marathon expo and he too spoke about injuries. He made an interesting comment about runners' attitudes regarding injury. He said that serious runners tend to attack their runs and races, putting a lot of effort and focus into them, which we all know is true, but he also commented that when runners get injured, they have to put that same energy and focus into "attacking" the injury. He then cited all the poor habits many injured runners get into: the Stick, the chiropractor, running through it in hopes it will go away, advice from other runners ("did you ever have this? I have this.") and then the experimentation with various stretches, instead of just fully focusing on the injury itself. Spareribs
                  Thanks, Ribs. I needed to hear this this morning.

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

dg.

SR, thanks for the feedback.Smile What are their suggested methods for focusing fully on the injury?
                    Teresadfp

One day at a time

6.6 miles for me this morning. Good weather - 28 degrees and no wind at all. Mixed precip overnight, though, so I was glad I decided to wear the YakTrax. Still ahead of the 1500-mile bunny! Wow, that little bugger is hard to keep up with. Ribs, thanks for your post about injuries. Good for me to remember! I hope everyone is doing OK getting back to the real world this week. It was hard getting the kids up at 5:45 am this morning!
                        I'm trying to see if I get the quote right finally Blush I posted on the challenge thread but felt I deserved to post on this as well as I ran 8.8 this morning of lots of hills. Trying to ramp up the mileage to get ready for a 1/2 in March. Temps here in TN are in the low 40's w/ misty overcast - perfect! Got weights and a mile swim in as well. Ready to get back on track!!
                          dg My Goal is a 27:00 min finish time......6:45 pace.....which, if i can accomplish, should make the race very close. As PRE would say.....it'll be a pure guts race. Last year the three of us...co-workers....all finished within 15 secs of each other with a bet that was made just moments before the starting gun. This year we threw down the challenge back in Oct. I'm the oldest in the bunch. 43....30 and 27. I do not plan on losing. Well, maybe losing my cookies in the finishing chute Big grin
                          Steve - Good luck in your 4 miler, show those youngsters how it's done! I may actually do a 4 miler myself on January 18th, this is a new race in our area and our group wants to support the cause. However, it coincides with a scheduled pre-run of our mid-winter 10 mile road race course that I mix in with a scheduled long run, so I'm not really sure I'll run it yet. If I do I'll be looking to go as close to 26:00 as I can, but I haven't done any real prep work for this type of race this year. On the positive side I've never run a 4 mile race so it would be a PR! Wink

Marathon Maniac #957

He then cited all the poor habits many injured runners get into: the Stick, the chiropractor, running through it in hopes it will go away, advice from other runners ("did you ever have this? I have this.") and then the experimentation with various stretches, instead of just fully focusing on the injury itself.
                            Do you have some specific advice on how to fully focus on the injury?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Fuzzy, to get the quotes to work do as follows: {quote}This Text will be quoted{/quote} Replace the {} shown above with less than and greater than symbols. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

King of PhotoShop

dg Thanks for asking. The race is Feb 7th so I am just starting to get into the "race specific" stage of my training program. My Goal is a 27:00 min finish time......6:45 pace.....which, if i can accomplish, should make the race very close. As PRE would say.....it'll be a pure guts race. Last year the three of us...co-workers....all finished within 15 secs of each other with a bet that was made just moments before the starting gun. This year we threw down the challenge back in Oct. I'm the oldest in the bunch. 43....30 and 27. I do not plan on losing. Well, maybe losing my cookies in the finishing chute Big grin
                                You are running well now and may surprise yourself with an even faster pace than planned, but it sounds to me that this is not a goal pace race but rather a tactical race to beat these two juniors. If that is the primary objective, I hope you don't mind some advice. They are younger than you are and will almost certainly go off in the first mile at faster than 6:45 pace. I would predict their first mile will be about 6:15 or thereabouts. You should certainly let them go. Hang back about 30-40 meters so that at one mile you are that far behind them. You will be running at about ten feet per second so this is about right. Keep contact but leave them alone. If the course is an out and back and they can see you after the turn, put the most agonized look on your race that you can muster, shake your head from side to side as if to say "I just don't have it today." Then in miles three and four, reel them in. I think you will beat them by outsmarting them, in addition to your speed and fitness right now. FWIW. Spareribs