Masters Running

40's on the Run.....Finding your mojo week! (Read 493 times)

40's.... Hope every is enjoying whats left of the weekend! My daughter and I found a new route to run today. Theres an overpass about a mile from my house so we did a mile to the "hill", ran it up and down a few times and then back home. 3 mile run that really was quite a workout. So I have now dubbed the "overpass" as my new "hill". It's close to home and will be some great change up for me. Later......Jewels
    But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
      Thanks for starting us off Jewels! Yep, where did I put that darned mojo anyway? It's got to be around here somewhere. Hmmmm...seems I have this conversation w/ myself a lot lately about a variety of items. Went to Kohls today to use a 20% off coupon that's good if you use your Kohl's card. Forgot both the coupon AND the Kohl's card. Nice checker took pity on me and gave me the discount anyway. Guess they do that for us old folks sometimes. Wink Hubby got a new pair of running shoes today and is beaming because the guy at the running store asked him how much weight he had lost (hadn't seen said guy in a few months). Cool Cool R2, thanks for sharing your journey to farming story. Didn't realize you had come from a long line of farmers. Sounds like it was tough to give up those rodeo dreams, but that seems like one of those sports where only a very few can make a living at it, and only for a brief time. Hubby, Katy the dog, and I ran together both yesterday and today. Today's run was a combo of shopping and running. Run 1.5 miles to store #1 and purchase envelopes to mail the taxes, run back another 1 mile to store #2 to pick up some lettuce. Run another 0.5 miles home carrying said lettuce and envelopes. Katy and I did some fartlek type intervals before I accumulated my "baggage". A little strange, but I guess that's our contribution to "going green" for the day (enjoyed the video Mtnchk, thx!). Trying to decide whether to do the "Hound Dog Hustle 5K" this coming Saturday. May be one of those last minute decisions. Following week is the Fort Worth Komen 5K w/ hubby and mom. Hope you all have a great week!
      Progress Trumps Pefection
        That's alright Leslie, I'll just keep bumping mine til it gets ahead of yours Big grin Hope you enjoy your dinner with your dad. When the parents are gettin' up there in age, you know we are too! Carol..nice hearing from you! Congrats to you and the hub for the weight loss. I've put on a few pounds these last 3 months and I'm not too happy about it. Will be doing a 5k myself in a couple of weeks. Can't miss this one. It is a HUGE one over the causeway twice. Very tough course. Jewels

flatland mountaineer

Uphill both ways and against the wind...........Thats what my 8 mile long run felt like yesterday as I ran to town again. Still feels more like winter than spring in the mornings as it was in the low 30's when I left the house with north wind that I was running against. The wind and relatively soft road and for whatever other reason I struggled somewhat and am feeling it in the hips today. I don't think I did any damage and am back on the celebrex. I was off it for a bit as we did the paperwork to get my insur to cover part of it. Hanging out in the office for a bit working on the logistics for our planting run. Jewels glad you found a place for some "hill" work!! Carol, my dw was asking if your husband was still running Kudos to him!! sounds like you been doing the "Hound dog Hustle " for some time anyway Smile Leslie we are also getting some prerace butterflies now as its official we both entered Bolder Boulder...... now if I can just convice dw NOT to wear her Husker shorts in Boulder as I want her to come home in one piece. Wink have a Super Week folks

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Carol, my dw was asking if your husband was still running Kudos to him!! sounds like you been doing the "Hound dog Hustle " for some time anyway Smile
            Good one! Keep bumpin' yours, Jewels. It's working! 1.5 hours of PT yesterday afternoon. With the pinion squats - I actually got through 2 sets of 50 without stopping! Big grin The 3rd set - got to 39. Blush This morning - 4.75 miles w/10 hill repeats in 51:47. 10:55 av., 7:43 best pace (on repeats). Later this afternoon, another round of PT. So I'm about 1/2 a mile 'til I'm done. A possum runs in front of me and ducks under a fence. What he's doing out that late, I don't know. Just a few feet down the road, here comes another trying to cross . . . right in front of a car. She couldn't miss him. It was probably one of the most disgusting sounds I've ever heard. Ugh! I thought I was gonna ralph my cookies. Tight lipped I did the whole squeamish -covering-the-head -turning-the-body-thing. It was a young woman, and she pulls up next me, trying not to freak out. "I didn't see him! I'm so sorry, I didn't see him!" I'm like, "Well, not much you could do about it." "Is he dead?" "I think so." Well, when I ran past, he was still moving a tiny bit, but he wasn't long for the world. Bleck! Dead And now that I've given you a wonderful story - - have a GREAT day!! The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible. (Arthur C. Clarke)

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Uh OH that comment to Carol didn't quite come out the way I meant it. Blush I meant the "hound dog hustle " from all those runs with pet sit clients and family dogs. Smile

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Uh OH that comment to Carol didn't quite come out the way I meant it. Blush I didn't mean the "hound dog hustle " from all those runs with pet sit clients and family dogs. Smile
                But that seems to say it so perfectly! Carol - if you needed to, you could even change the name of your service to "Hound Dog Hustle." Farmer Jim probably wouldn't charge you any royalties. Wink

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Hi Folks , busy bunch we are~ Jewels- Good job on the hill work.My biggest "hill" around is the Mantoloking Bridge.It climbs to about 80ft and is .3m long. My problem is that it's 4 miles away so it does give me a pretty good workout with an 8 miler with the round trip over the bridge right in the middle. Leslie- too bad about the possum.Sad to see of course but you're fortunate that the car didn't run you down trying to avoid it. Carol - sounds like you're busy "running around" town.Good job getting DH out there losing weight. Farm- hope the weather improves for you soon. DW should be ok ,those Colorado folks seem pretty friendly? Cross training this weekend was a 9 mile bike ride in the rain on Sat, then 7 hours attached to a paint brush outside yesterday.Finally got 2 coats of stain on the deckrail,now it's time for the deck.We have not had 3 rainless days since I stripped it,but it's supposed to be clear this week.Working a couple days on the night shift this week and hoping to get it done during the day. Who needs a gym when you own a home?!?! Roll eyes As you guys know I had signed up for a marathon for early May.Well I missed 3 out of 4 scheduled 20 mile training runs so that's out.I did however contact the race director and he's allowed me to go from the full to the half that day,same start.The full goes 2 -13.1m loops,so this year,I'll just go one time around and get some good experience. Have a good one folks ~

Well....anyone living outside the state of Florida might laugh at what I call a "hill workout"! But hey, anything more than 15ft. of elevation is gotta count for something! Right? joe-Glad your doing the half. That was a great idea to tone it down. Now you'll know what your really in for next time around. r2-Nice LR you had there. Cold, windy....and thank gawd for Celebrex! Good Luck and have fun at Boulder Boulder. When is it anyway? Leslie-Not quite a nice thing to wake up to. Ewww....hey nothing she could have done. Around here there are so many turtles crossing the roads you see them smashed everywhere. Some people SLAM on their brakes, get out of the car, pick them up and set them off to the sides of the roads. I'm all for saving the turtles but jeez, ya just caused a 4 car pile up to save that turtle. Way to go on all your PT torture your doing. Payoff is gonna be BIG, BIG, BIG! Jewels

flatland mountaineer

I am off until wednesday on scheduled runs. Soreness for the most part is gone, I was pretty active yesterday afternoon with no problems. I think the celebrex works for me. About 6 weeks til BolderBoulder on memorial day.http://www.bolderboulder.com/site3.aspx Joe glad you are going to do the half, you will smoke!! With a whole year to ramp up to the full I bet you will enjoy it alot more. Big grin Lelie do you use these? We got some to keep the rocks out of our shoes after seeing them in some hiking climbing trail running forums. http://www.dirtygirlgaiters.com/

Morning all, Got up early to get a run in. My husband brought home some reflective tape so I could tape a strip to the front and back of my shirt. Well, about a mile into the darkness they both fell off. Headed back towards the house and just did some boring back and forths near the only streetlight around. Hmmmm... Boulder Boulder sounds fun! Have a great day all! Jewels
                          Joe - Glad you're able to do the half. Have fun with it! Jewels - 15ft of elevation?? I don't know if that qualifies . . . . Wink You should come out here and do the Trinity Alps with us. 6,000 feet of elevation! Re reflective gear - I bought a reflector vest. You don't have to worry about anything fall off. Farmer Jim - Yep, I have 3 pairs of DirtyGirl Gaiters: We get lots of comments on them. They're fun! PT is now up to almost 2 hours, so I took this morning off. My butt's sore from 3 of the 4 new exercises I got last night. Bridge work, leg raises, and laying on your back and squeezing a 4.5 lb. ball that's between your knees. Plus, I'm just plain ole tired. However, it didn't keep me from being awak at 4:00 a.m. Roll eyes I just snoozed off and on until 6:30-ish. I took my BOSU with me yesterday so I could compare fullness with the PT one. Left the sucker in my car all day, it got warm, and now it has a permanent bulge off to one side and one of the seams is trying to come loose. I still have my receipt, so I think I'm gonna take it back and exchange it for a new one . . . and never leave it in a warm car again. Blush For any of you who are hard southern rock/alternative country lovers, check out this write of the lateste album by the Drive-By Truckers: http://media.www.themountainecho.com/media/storage/paper565/news/2008/01/30/Life/Drive.By.Truckers.In.A.Genre.All.Of.Their.Own-3177888.shtml If you've never heard of them or listened to their music, I highly recommend checking them out. They're almost in a genre all their own. We were lucky enough to see them about 3 years ago in San Fran, and man, what a show! Have a good day!

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

6,000 ft. elevation! I feel sick already! The climb itself would kill me, let alone the altitude! I'll have to check out that band. I'm not a big country fan but I can definately handle some Southern Rock! Jewels

Top 'O the World!

Wow! Gabby Witty bunch this week! Big grin Can't find my Mojo this am! Confused whom do I call for such an inconsiderate theft!? hmm...felt positively awesome/energetic yesterday...but, had like zero time in my wonky schedule for even a coupla miles...looking fwd to my long overdue long run today only to drag my droopy butt through 12.16 miles in a pretty non- impressive 2 1/2 hrs! Hey! at least it's up to 76* F now...& freaking windy!! R2: So far I'm on track to do the Bolder Boulder too! Yay! Prolly not as fast as you...& I'm disappointed that I can't take Mairead but it looks like there will be a busload from the Irish Snug runners going.... Maybe we should schedule a meet-up?...There's also quite alot of folks who run the Cherry Creek Sneak on the 27th..S'posed to be 'quite the party' Wink....& of course, my finger is still hovering over the "send button" on the Colorado Marathon(Half) for May 4 - not getting all of my training runs in makes me a bit uncertain if it's a good idea to push that much distance. Confused I have not yet run 13.1 miles - even slowly! .....I've got a coupla prs of the DirtyGirl Gaiters too - mine are neon blue camo type & hot pink Hawaiian somethingorother...what'd you get? Jewels: I say a "hill" is a "hill" Wink... but anytime ya wanna come run mine w/me....Garmin says I did a 1765' el change.. Big grin ...I have some tech shirts (I think from Sports Authority) that have reflective stripes on front & back...they were clearance rack so I probably couldn't help you find exactly these.... Joe: Good luck w/your half! I know you'll do great!! Carol: Does the "Hound Dog Hustle" mean that you get to take Katy? should be a good time! & umm, it must be "Kohl's training"...they've done much the same for me. I thought it was because I was being "blonde in public!" Big grin Miss Buffy urm, Leslie: is your sadisticeffective PT allowing you rest/recovery time before your 50K's?? or do you work right through them?..... Evil grin that's one way to get outta the bosu exercises! since you don't have a dog to eat your equipment!!.... we have a health fair going on right now that has a "Body in Balance" section where you do several "test" stances to see how good your balance is..(apparently we deteriorate in this area as well,..& by decades)....one is standing w/one foot directly in front of the other - heel to toe w/them touching slightly, knees slightly bent...now close your eyes & try to stand there for 30 seconds or so...yep! you guessed it! I'm pretty unstable! But the good news is that I can improve w/practice! Doing this & other childhood games of walking the sidewalk lines/curbs & such! Roll eyes
                              Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - sounds like the PT is going great! You're gonna be buff! Sorry about the possum incident, no one likes to see that. Jewels - We're pretty lacking in hills around here, too. I run along the river bluff and follow the trail down the local "big" hill, which is only about 100' high. Still, I was proud when I could include it in my runs, since highway overpasses used to terrify me! Carol - good on your hubby! That's lots of running and plenty of not eating, I'd guess. r2 - now you've gone and done it Wink Have fun getting ready for your race, I hear it's a fun one with lots of folks in costume and general silliness. Joe - bet you'll have a blast doing the half - should be a breeze for you! Speaking of mojo - I'm another one who's lost it today. Maybe it's because I'm dreading a big job coming my way - two of the classes I teach have term papers due this week - that's more than 60 of em - lemme tell ya a pile of term papers can really ruin a person's schedule for a week. Ugh. OK, gotta run - really! Arla

Ex runner