Masters Running

Friday July 18 Runs and Grins (Read 634 times)

Dave59

Dave59 5K or long run . . . hmm . . . what a choice. Seems like a pretty unusual quandary to me given the vast difference in each. But to each his own.
    Saturday is my day to put in a few extra miles, but I always check the local calendar for possible races which are more fun than slogging out there by myself. There are only a few races here in my town so I always give them consideration. This is one to benefit Habitat for Humanity and is one I have not done yet.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Not that barefoot runners get smug about not having shoes pushing down to break off our toenails or anything like that . . . . In fact, toenails or not, give your feet a block or two or several miles of running on a nice smooth surface this weekend and post your miles in lynden's boomer weekly for our annual running barefoot festival - thnax. ps - for toenail's sake, when biking barefoot, do not stick toe into spokes on sharp turns. Big grin

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

Good Morning. I've been sporadic lately - as has my running Roll eyes . I'll head over to the gym today and then I'm running in a 10K trail run (won't use the word Race - as I won't be racing it - just running it). First time doing trail running. I think it's a relatively easy run as far as trails are concerned though. On that Ragnar link that Mariposai provided, I'm running leg #2. Very very happy to be in the same van as Nancy. Cool It WILL be a fun time with a bit of running in the mix. I leave next Thurs for the trip up to Seattle.

Tammy

But Dave, you have such lovely wall sconces Wink
          That's what I thought. And I also thought, why did they even bother with the nice sconces?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

I Can Go The Distance

What would we do without you Holly? We need you both here and on the 40/40 thread. Smile 4 recovery miles for me today. Again today the temp was fine, 66, but the humidity was 89%. Tomorrow is my LR and I am increasing to 12 miles this week. Like Tim, I have Steve to thank for teaching us about recovery days. It is really helping to keep me fresh and I can run every day. Have a great weekend and good luck to those who will be racing. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Mariposai - I think running one of those with you on my team would be about the most fun thing I could think of to do. Smile
              I agree! Big grin Wink Missed my run today, slept in. Will go out after dinner for an easy 4. Have to do my LR tomorrow as I will be going camping for a few days starting Sunday. Welcome back CNYrunner! I was dripping with envy reading about your vacation!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

is there a list of, or maybe post, distances/times of the boomer runners' three legs each? ps - in case Tammy decides to stay in Seattle,Big grinBig grinBig grin is there anyone who could wouldn't mind having her three legs?
                I am doing leg #5 of the Northwest Passage Ragnar Relay with a team called "Comfortable Old Sweaters". http://www.ragnarrelay.com/northwestpassage/index.php
                On that Ragnar link that Mariposai provided, I'm running leg #2. Very very happy to be in the same van as Nancy. I leave next Thurs for the trip up to Seattle.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

my legs are easy - I'm no dummy - I don't wanna get so exhausted running that I'm a party pooper! I run 6.2, 3.6 and 3.1. That's a LONG way to travel for a HM distance! Tongue Tet - I'm still counting on our Sunday run at either Myrtle Edwards or Greenlake (and I'll be needing some clam chowder/sourdough for lunch before John and I head back to GP) , so don't get so exhausted at your lil race on Saturday that you can't run with me! Cool

Tammy

Renee the dog

Out at 3 pm for a 4 3/4 miler...cause I was 1/4 mi ahead of plan for the week. Why did I run in 91F (only 43% humidity)? 'Cause that's when the babysitter could come. So I went! It was a good run. I put 5 ice cubes in a lightweight cap and did my thing. The last mi was rough cause I was running with the cool wind and had no more cubes. I'm really glad I didn't have to go one more 1/4 mi. Big grin My dentist/friend called today and invited me to a run up in his shore town mostly on the sand in August. It's a 10 miler, so I'm suddenly back in training of sorts. It was ironic that he called as I had just been printing out entry forms for some late summer/early fall races to negotiate with Mr Nono who was going to run which event (assuming no babysitters). I hope everyone has some exciting weekend plans. We have Christmas in July tomorrow night which means a boat parade and fireworks.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Mariposai

Maybe some day we can organize an "all boomers" relay so we can call run with each other and party afterwards Big grin. Come on Enkie,Tamester and Holly... you are putting me on such a high pedestal that I hope when the new people meet me they won't get desappointed with the "real me" Undecided. I am looking forward to a bike ride after work with my friend Blaine. We are going to test out his new bike by riding to the next town for an icecream cone. It should be fun. Go racers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

I am home from my catheterization procedure. They make you "sleep it off" for about 4 hours after the procedure. Because they go in through that big artery in the leg, they wait to see that the insertion point is not going to bleed, because if it does, you could bleed out. It's the big artery. I was groggy after the procedure, but my understanding is that the dr. found, upon seeing where the iodine dye goes, that I have an artery that is almost completely closed, and he wants to unblock it, I am guessing with a stent or angioplasty, very soon, like next week or the week after, and this should relieve the symptoms I have been experiencing and may even delay the valve surgery. We have to call on Monday to discuss all this and next steps. That's all I know right now. Spareribs
                        stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Spareribs--I know there aren't many details at the moment, but anything that could realistically postpone open heart surgery sounds very positive. glad things went well and thanks for letting us know so soon. Enjoy another nap--I think you deserve it. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mariposai

Thanks for the update Spareribs. I was thinking of you and the family all day today. Butterfly hugs to all in theSparRibs family, specially The Saint who has to put up with the grump.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Thanks for the update, Spareribs! It's amazing what they can find without really opening you up... Hope this can get done soon and you'll get the relief you need. Sort of amazing that you'd have that much blockage with your lifestyle and diet. Went out for 4 easy miles, tried to keep it slow and steady and did ok. A few ups and downs but tried to keep the effort easy... 8:45 average pace so that's pretty good (for me). Don't know that I feel energized and rejuvenated... but it was nice to get out in the middle of the day and not get rained on. I had added incentive to not run harder... I forgot my towel so couldn't take a shower afterwards! Blush Going out with DH and a friend tonight to "The Bush Show" at the Palace Saloon. This place is in a recreation of the old gold mining town that Fairbanks was many years ago... old cabins and structures were moved from downtown into this park. They have historical markers on them telling of their history, and business operate there in the summer (tourist type places), including an Old Photo shop where you can dress up in turn of the century garb and have a picture taken, an ice cream shop, various gift and souvenir shops and this "saloon" where a lot of shows are held, all with the old gold mining, early days theme. Can be a lot of fun and we haven't been in years. This weekend kicks off "Golden Days," our town's annual celebration of it's gold mining roots and frontier history, complete with a big parade tomorrow, costumes, rubber ducky race and all sorts of goofy stuff. More than a little corny but definitely a real slice of what makes this place home. Long way of saying Sunday's race is called the "Gold Discovery Run" because it used to start at the Pedro monument, where Felix Pedro first found gold here... Now it starts near the Fort Knox gold mine near the top of a ski hill and ends at a brewery in the valley, 16.5 miles later. For the running crowd, it's a big part of the "Golden Days" celebration!
                                Holly, I tried to stay away and it didn't work. We'd all miss you anyway. And the results of yesterday's short one were kind of masked by my workout today... Rode 42 miles this morning, starting at 6:30AM. It was really heating up by the time I finished, but at least with bicycling you generate a really good breeze. On the other hand, I've never had to change a blown-out shoe by the side of the road like I did my rear tire today. Roll eyes

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"