Masters Running

Friday July 18 Runs and Grins (Read 634 times)

..dickyG//.....it's just running in an Extremely Detached Manner........ unlike 2nd Wind, where you're Aware of Everything..... (naw, I wouldn't set you up on that one)....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59... aka Dilbert Big grin
      Oh yeah; I hadn't noticed that at first glance.

Be safe. Be kind.

5 recovery paced miles this morning with T...partly cloudy,52 degrees
        Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
        Mariposai

What kind of question is that Holly? Of course you keep posting. I am doing leg #5 of the Northwest Passage Ragnar Relay with a team called "Comfortable Old Sweaters". I am really looking forward to this experience. http://www.ragnarrelay.com/northwestpassage/index.php This was a tempo day for me. 7 miles in the coolness of the morning with miles 2,4,6 @ 8:30. the legs felt pretty sproinky this morning.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Dave59

Oh yeah; I hadn't noticed that at first glance.
            Big grin Thanks for the laugh. It's hard to go into the office without thinking about Dilbert. Fortunately I work from my home (500 miles away) most of the time. Speaking of Dilbert, there was a very strange flight attendant on one of my flights home. I couldn't tell if she was tired or drunk or just not too bright. She would say some of the strangest things and she inserted pauses in the wrong places (like the middle of sentences). It's not the same without hearing her, but here is one of the classics that came when we landed: "We are now on......the ground........ You may now turn....... on your cell....... phones............. but...... please do not get up to retrieve them."

Greetings Friends, I missed you all and certainly missed a lot of happenings while I was away. Wow! We were in Lake Placid, NY from 7/7---7/17. My in-laws celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary by renting two houses on Mirror Lake (right in the Village of Lake Placid) for their 3 children and spouses and children (grandkids)---14 of us in all---20 months to 76 years old. It was amazing. Mr. CNYrunner went to camp in the Adirondacks and I know the area quite well too, so we had been excited about this for a while. We hiked a few more of the 46 Adirondack High Peaks (the kiddo wants all 46 before he is 18 like his father). We scaled Whiteface, Esther, Giant, Lower Wolf Jaw, and the Gothics, canoed every day, walked everywhere, (I) ran lots of miles and there was plenty of swimming, eating, laughing, family silliness and squabbling and memories for a lifetime. The Lake Placid Ironman is on July 20, so the village was increasingly crowded with buff athletes. Our house had a waterfront view of the swimming venue (Mirror Lake) and yesterday morning the lake was lousy with wetsuit clad arms stroking by as I cooled down on the dock with my morning coffee. There are 20,000 entrants in this Ironman, so it’s a big deal for a tiny Village that relies on sports and mountain enthusiasts. My runs followed the marathon course (mile markers quite visible as they are spray painted on the route) and out toward the Olympic ski jump and luge areas. It was a pretty phenomenal sight to see the ski jump rising up over the trees as I rounded the corner----needed to synch my iPOD to hear “Call of the Champions” as I ran by. Citius, Altius, Fortius….My husband and I were both at the 1980 Olympics when the US men’s hockey team won gold-----we didn’t know each other then, but we had fun skating with the kiddo on the Herb Brooks arena ice this time. Okay…enough of my “what I did on summer vacation” report. I am deeply grateful to my in-laws for their incredible generosity and for sharing their special celebration with all of us. Today’s run was fine----10.5 miles back at home and less hilly than my Adirondack treks---felt easy almost. Pace run at 8 minute pace…..hit it at 8:02 in 1:24 and change, so I am happy---70F at 7:30 AM and on the way up to 95F today. My legs are feeling the mileage and constant activity of the past weeks, but hanging in there. Time to catch up with race reports and all the news here. Good going on those wall sits Holly! Kathrine Switzer would be proud of you! Don’t stop posting. Sounds like great relay experiences are on the way for Lyndenrunner and Maraposai! Some day I hope to do an overnight relay----good luck to you two! Mainerunnah, you rock….the weather is looking brutal all over NE this weekend, but go for it (safely). Love those shirts DickyG---those are all One More Mile shirts, yes? Ankle healing vibes to Tim and a hug for Spareribs, just cuz....Riblet is a cutie! Laundry time here and then maybe a bike ride with the kiddo over to the reservoir---a reverse triathlon of sorts. CNYrunner/Karin

Top 'O the World!

Is it okay for me to continue to have this stream of non-running posts while I’m on the DL? I understand now how some people choose to disappear while they are injured,..it feels a little awkward being here without running… Sad
                Uhmmm, YAH! Yer onea my heros! Wink btw: rest day (finally!) for me today....household chores followed by beach therapy xt Big grin
                Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                  Holly has to keep posting Dave in a Box - what kind of hair does your boss have? DickyG - that's the slogan on my mousepad at work! Tim - ouch! Hope that gets better soon. Same for you Jewels. I, too, have had great luck with Garmin support -- I think I'm on my 5th unit (between 301 and 305 replacements). 3 mile recovery run early this morning. Sometimes I think the weirdest stuff. This morning I was wondering how one would go about estimating the rabbit population in the neighborhood by counting the rabbits seen during the run. 3.2 miles @ 9:20, AHR 131, overall 29.33 Ok, I gotta get back to work.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Thanks for the kind responses to last weekends race report. You all help me to keep getting out there. DickyG, thanks for asking about stretching. I stretch every morning so that's just before my runs. I also stretch after a run. Lately, I've been trying to walk a thin line between stretching enough to, hopefully, loosen up but not stretch aggressively enough to aggravate my already abused hammie. Also, DickyG, nice run this morning with the Albutrol. enke, way to show the "studs" how it's done. ribs, nice picture of the riblet. He's definitely looking like executive material. Holly, I sure hope you keep posting while you recover. The place wouldn't be the same without you. maine, that sure is a fast AG you've got to compete with. biketm, my fingers are crossed that your ankle will be ok. CNY, welcome back. It sounds like a fantastic vacation. Nice long runs for mtnchk (with kids), WRFB (peppy), biketm, peter, Tramps (hilly), mariposai (and at night with your neat friend Blaine and a picture for proof), and CNY. Good job on the speedwork for breger and dtoce. This morning, it was in the mid 70s, fairly calm, and humid. I did 3 miles in a bit under 30 minutes for a 9:53 pace. When I got home, I went for a 2 mile walk with my wife. A good day and good runs for all. TomS

Marathon Maniac #957

You know, you guys/gals are the greatest. Thanks for the many smiles. Smile Smile
                      Question for Holly......: Is your pain right where the top of the leg meets the torso? Right in the crease/pelvic area? Just curious.......Also, do you remember how you injured it?
                      No, the pain I have is more at the very rear of the groin, at the point where groin becomes butt. I believe that it is either the gracilis and/or adductor magnus, right at the point where it(they) attach(es) to the pelvis. Here’s an image: http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/Adductors.html You can scroll down and click on gracilis to see that one. Here’s another view from the front: http://theinnerdoor.wordpress.com/2008/03/28/yoga-snow-and-more-yoga/ I injured it when I was running fast-paced half-mile intervals. The area had been a little tender for a couple of days before that, I think because I had been doing a LOT of squatting in household projects, balancing on beams in the attic crawlspace running speaker wire and also while I painted the lower part of the kitchen cabinets and walls. I think now that I was over-striding when I accelerated, and that’s probably what made me tear/strain the area, but during the 6th interval, I felt the mild pain suddenly get very acute. Than I had to jog/hobble the 4 miles home. You were smart to take 2 weeks off. Stubborn me, I kept trying to run on it, and it continued to plague me, so now I am finally doing the smart thing and taking time off. Tramps – Big grin And, yes, I thought of Aamos, as well. TomWhite - words of wisdom. Tim! Not you, too! {{{Tim’s kankle}}} DickyG - Big grin Big grin I love it! That shirt was made for me! Please tell me you know where I can get one. Karin! Good to see you back! That sounds like my dream vacation, but with DH's family, not my own. Big grin Mariposai - I think running one of those with you on my team would be about the most fun thing I could think of to do. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Yesterday I did an easy 5 miles with some friends down at the beach. Great day for a run. Alas, I did not have time to hit the daily thread. Today I am not running as part of my reverse taper and in preparation to hobble run in a 4 mile race on Saturday. But, I have time to post so what the heck! Holly You call that "light" x-training? My abs hurt just reading about it! BTW feel free to post while on the DL. Just send a check to . . . mainerunnah going from a Garmin X05 to an X01 is going to be painful until the replacement comes through! My deepest, and yes sincerest, sympathies. Yours truly a totally addicted GPS watch addict. About your race hot and humid still beat thunderstorms and downpours! Just have to look at they hazy side. Smile Dave59 5K or long run . . . hmm . . . what a choice. Seems like a pretty unusual quandary to me given the vast difference in each. But to each his own. breger1 once again it is nice to see that you seem to have recovered your enthusiasm for running! lyndenrunner I listed the Reach the Beach Relay so it seems to me the Ragnar should count as a race for the Intrepid Racers thread too. I know it is not a "goal" race, but these things are so unusual and so much fun I figure they deserve listing anyway. biketm seems like perfectly sensible way to sprain you ankle to me. Confused Recover quick. Tramps Yesterday I did the "bicycle maneuver" from the article you linked to a few days ago. Man what a great workout that is! Nearly killed me! Smile Thanks again for the link. Oh, yes, nice 6 miler today. flajewels good luck on the base building now that you are healthy again. tomwhite what do you mean my joints are not made of plutonium! Angry lol DickyG dude I can really sympathize with the post-injury trauma of seeing how much your time deteriorate. As I said before, who came up with these bodies? It just does not seem fair. Good luck to the both of us on getting our times back down. stumpy77 I have a 22 year old female TP and race "rival." She flies by me every race these days. I have just had to learn to live with it. Sigh . . . Mariposai you will have a great time at the relay! Nice tempo run today. CNYrunner I see you are coming down for the New Haven 20K. I plan to make it a LOT harder for you to fly by me at the five mile mark there than it was at the Iron Horse HM! Big grin As always, your training looks like it is going great. Nice 10.5 mile run today. WRFB Answer: Not easily! Big grin tselbs sounds like it was a nice day for your run and "recovery" walk with your DW. Editor: Where is that race report! Twocat: yea, yea, I know. But I have to get SOME work done, and then I have to wrap a present for a surprise party tonight and then I have to catch the train and . . .

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

DickyG

DickyG - Big grin Big grin I love it! That shirt was made for me! Please tell me you know where I can get one.
                          Thanks to Karin who, unlike me, has not started down the road to senility. One More Mile Running Company: www.onemoremilerunning.com/ DickyG
                            Holly - please, please stay! I "fell off the face of the earth" as Gordon/Lynden mentioned in the weekly run/xt thread a few weeks ago, when all heck broke loose in my professional life and I stopped running for about three weeks to focus all my energy in simply putting one foot in front of the other in a more metaphorical sense. I'm back to running now and posting on the newbies and run/xt threads, but I'm still just lurking here because my access to the computer is fairly limited, but . . . . . I still enjoy reading the daily so, especially stories about your wonderful DD! So, please don't leave! Smile Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

I nearly forgot! wildchild you asked if it is a bad thing that most of your runs "have no specific purpose?" Oh my gosh! How can you even think such a thing! Why think of all the money they are paying us to do this! If you run without a purpose where is the cash going to come from?! Angry Little Voice (LV): Err, nobody actually pays us to do this. Twocat (TC): No? Confused LV: No. In fact we pay to participate in this sport. TC: We do? LV: Yes. You know all those checks you write out for entry fees, shoes and the like? TC: Uh, hu. LV: That money comes from you? You know those bills you pay each month, like the mortgage. TC: Yes. LV: That money does not come from running. TC: No? Cry LV: No. It comes from that job you have. Running does not pay anything. No matter how much you do it. wildchild ah, hmm, it, umm seems I had some of my facts, err, a bit mixed up. Apparently, nobody pays us to run. (Really? LV: Yes, really.) So, I guess the only purpose a run should have is to help you enjoy life. If your runs do that for you, then they do have a purpose and it is the right one in my book! Enjoy your runs, you have some of the best terrain there is for them!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Thanks for your response Holly. Healing vibes sent your way! I've pretty much figured out that mine is the Adductor Longus. That one seems to pinpoint the "area". I had nothing to lose and everything to gain taking 2 weeks off as I am still base building. That sucker hurt so bad I couldn't have run anyway. Would mostly hurt later in the day AFTER I had been sitting. Going up steps was horrible. I felt like I had to lift my right leg up with my hands to go up the steps. Ugh! Much better now though! Twocat....I'm workin' on that base building! I'll get there......eventually! Smile Jewels
                                But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee