Masters Running

Saturday's Daily, 3.28.15 (Read 40 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Aamos, good luck this weekend, and have fun too! We have a sump, pump, and with the recent rains and snow melt, it is starting to earn it's keep.

Nothing wrong with sleeping in sometimes, Stumpy. Seems like a good call yesterday.

I hope the job interview went well yesterday, Jlynne. I hear you, both about not wanting to work so much, and about having things to pay for. Dang...

Congrats to Hudson on choosing UT, Ribs. Good luck to you and the Saint in today's race.

Leslie, yes, our muscles groups are all interconnected, and injuring one or overcompensating with another can reach further than we expect. I'm glad you are working on figuring it all out, and hope it leads you to a good solution. Regarding work files: It is good for me, and for everyone else that I am the only one who works with my files. Let's just say I have my own system...

Dave, if you are not all that anxious about what is going on at work, I'd just leave it that way, and don't feel guilty because you might be too calm. What you said tells me that you know that you can get this work done.

Enke, do you need an excuse to talk to the guy at work?? If so, you are a very smart woman, and I'm sure you can find one.

TW, get a good password manager (ask TC), and you won't have to worry so much about relogging into sites. I'm sorry about the cranky leg, and hope the AA workout works today. Interesting story about sleeping on the cheerleader...

You have tough decisions for and with DS ahead of you Holly, but I'm sure you'll all make a good choice. Someday, we'll have to have a racewalking mini-clinic. I have no doubt that you can walk a lot faster than you think you can if you just make a few adjustments.

MS, good luck to DD at UO, and to you with getting rid of that cold. It's hard to envision a "low-grade, indifferent, pudgy swim." And it is ever harder to envision you doing one of them!

I hope you find your way out of headachedom, TC.

You ARE busy, aren't you, Tammy! I can't relate to anything garden-related just yet this year.

Ah, the simpler days of cheap shoes and easy running - where'd they go??

Have any of you heard Sara Bareilles? She's got a good way with a piano and a terrific voice.

3.6 easy RW miles this morning. I took it easy because I realized (holy carp!) that I have a half tomorrow! It'll be interesting because it is (wait for it...) snowing again! Maybe 1-3 inches by late tonight. There is also a 20-miler that I think Milk Truck is doing, so maybe we'll have a mini meetup somewhere along the way.

DW comes home tonight - good deal.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - I love Sara Bareilles!  Several years ago I won free tickets to see her at a small, private, local engagement, and afterward got to meet her and have my picture taken with her.  If I could figure out how to post pics here straight from my computer I would post it.

I decided to walk outside today, but while I know what I would wear for a run in 21 degrees, I was not sure how to dress for a brisk walk.  I ended up a little colder than I like, and my toes were freezing, but I got in 6 miles at an average pace of 16.24, which is pretty brisk for me, walking-wise.

Happy Saturday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

..hi guys//.........

..........jay//.............I was watching a RealSports with Bryan Gumbell on abuse of NCAA Athletes,

and the narrator said ''Athletes and Cheerleaders'' are the Big Men and Women On Campus

this fired a Neuron and I said '' hey...................''

in my defense,

the last thing I remember was Rod McCuen Singing ''Listen to The Warm''..............which STILL would put me to sleep.......

============

but I digress........

30-min poolrun with belt, deep end only

........Claire Visit Today..........she is skipping TWO Birthday Parties to see her Mimi and Grandaddy....

does it get any better??

I think not

.......................good running guys............don't sleep around

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Good morning everyone. Hope everyone's Saturday is going well so far.

I'll bet you're happy to get your DW back tonight, right Jay? I'm sure you'll meet her at the airport with a bouquet of flowers

Mimi and granddaddy must be pretty important for Claire to miss two birthday parties. Have a fun-filled Claire day Tom.

Your DH will go to the ballet with you and miss the second set of games tonight Erika? Wow - that's impressive!

Has anyone ever run in the Saucony Triumphs? They had a close-out on them at a local running store yesterday. Still pricey at $75/pair but they were originally $125. All this talk about not spending a lot of money on running shoes is getting me thinking. I always stick with the same model - Saucony Rides but never order them on-line.  I'm always worried they won't fit right.

Holly - it was cold here this morning too. Only 16° when I took off at 5:30 but there wasn't any wind and I was dressed right. Still, it shouldn't be this cold on March 28. 10 miles at a 9:54 pace, and that was with a couple of walk breaks. Maybe there's hope for me yet.  My interview went well, though there were around 24 other applicants so I'm not getting my hopes up. Should know something by Monday.

Slo

A quick stop in.

Hi Y'all !

Still kickin...

Have a great weekend and I'll try to stick around a little longer next time.

...hi slo//..........what are you up to these days????

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps

Tall's around and now Slo drops by; nice.

I confess: TW's post went over my head today.

Go Aamos!

32F with a good stiff wind this morning; decidedly un-springlike for us.  Nice sunny day though.

EZ 6 on the trail.

Be safe. Be kind.

I decided to walk outside today, but while I know what I would wear for a run in 21 degrees, I was not sure how to dress for a brisk walk.  I ended up a little colder than I like, and my toes were freezing, but I got in 6 miles at an average pace of 16.24, which is pretty brisk for me, walking-wise.

You don't get nearly as warmed up walking as when running (unless you're at Jay's pace). So I also usually under-dress. DW and I might take a walk this afternoon, when it might actually be above freezing. At least the sun is out, which also affects how I'll dress for it.

Congrats to all with college-bound offspring: Ribs, MS, Holly, et al. I think my DS was barely in H.S. when I joined CoolRunning, and today his college days are long past and he's getting close to hitting 30.

Have a good weekend, all!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

It involves TW's sordid past.  I think Rod mcCuen was a little before my time.  I remember more like Boston during my college parties.

Nice company along the 19 miles, Robin.

A little over 4.5 miles with the running store group this morning.  About a dozen folks today and a Mizuno rep brought in test shoes.  Didn't try any on, but did tell her that Jay was very disappointed that they had retired his favorite shoe.  35F and snowing--it was a very nice run.  Felt harder than the 9:26 that I ended up with, but also a LOT more chatting than I usually get at 5:30 in the morning.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

If you are running in just one type of shoe you might consider branching out.  There is some (weak) evidence at this point that running in a variety of shoe types reduces injury risks. Beyond using different sneakers from one brand I started varying brands too.

My headache issues will, at best, be gone in another 3 to 8 days according to my doctor.  So far, no indication that I can see that he is right.  But hope springs eternal!  Since moving or lying down keep my head from aching I ran yesterday and did an hour on the elliptical today.  Tomorrow there is a HM I signed up for some time ago.  I figure I may as well do it.  I ran it last year and it is one hilly course!  Unfortunately, this year it will be a LOT colder out during the race than it was last year.    Will this winter never end?  It was snowing out this morning!!!!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Twocat, still sending positive thoughts about your headaches.  Nice long runs for Mike and jlynne.

This morning, I slept a little later than usual and didn't feel like doing anything.  I moped around for a few hours, debating whether to go out in the 15° temp or do the TM.  I eventually dragged myself to the TM and did 6 miles at a 10:35 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

evanflein

I love the way Tselbs describes himself as moping around and then dragging himself to the treadmill. Sounds like some of my runs in the past few months!

Sorry some of you are having cold and snow... today here is bright sunny clear skies and we'll see at least 45° this afternoon!

Jlynne, remember, we're 4 hours from Eastern time zone (is WI on Eastern or Central? can't remember....) so the AZ/WI game is on at 2 p.m. I figure I'll run home while that game is on. Not sure if he'll watch more after that (certainly might depend on the outcome) but I will probably hit the grocery store after that. Ballet is at 8 p.m. and it's actually his idea! He won tickets from a local radio station with some trivia thing.

I didn't really get tomwhite's post either, until he got to the Claire part. Have fun!

Dave59

8.2 miles for me today.  Before the run I started doing some yard clean-up but my rake broke and I gave all my other rakes away since I don't need one at the future condo.  So coming back from the run I stopped at a hardware store and got a new rake.  I love going to that place on Saturday because they have free popcorn.  I can be easy to please.

I love popcorn!  It's a very rare treat for me.

Sara Bareilles grew up here in Eureka.  She comes back every year and does a concert.  I've had the opportunity to go to 2 of them.

2Kitty - I've heard that, about wearing different shoes instead of sticking to one brand.  My problem is I don't know which way to try and branch out.  We have a small running store here, but he never carries my size, and, even though he's a really nice guy and was a great runner in his day, he doesn't seem to have the ability to help you - okay, me - figure out which shoe to try.

Worked with The Hub this morning for a couple of hours.  Mowing didn't bother my back, but being on my hands and knees pulling weeds did.  Dang it!

Tomorrow, The Hub is the main speaker at an AA speaker meeting, where he tells his story.  I've been waiting for him to be asked to do this because I think he will do a really great job, and I think he has a very powerful story to tell . . . . but he doesn't want me to go.   I understand - this isn't going to be easy for him, but I sure would like to be there.  I've asked, but he's been insistent that I not be, so I won't push it.  Hopefully next time.

Okay - Off to get some transcription done.

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Leslie...you're cool...

I did not understand tomwhite's post either...but I still enjoyed reading it...I love it when he digresses...

I had never heard of Sarah Bareilles before, Jay.  Thanks for the link...she is really good.

Nice to hear you're still kickin' Slo.

I give you a lot of credit for pushing through your headache, Twocat.  I know how tough that is.  8 days?  Good luck.

I went for 10, today.  It was nice and sunny, which made the wind a little more tolerable.

Okay--I gotta go.  Grandkid's soccer game.  See ya!