Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run w/e 04/22 (Read 325 times)

jfa

“You are never given a dream without also being given the power to make it true. You may have to work for it, however.”
    Richard Bach

Hey Carol's a Marathoner!! Way to go Carol!

Hoping things don't get too bad for Arla today. Looking like 84* at her projected finish time but at least the humidity should be low.

Nice 20er for me yesterday. Not very fast at 9:55's but it's in the books. 3 weeks until my marathon.

Good week all!!

WOO HOO, CAROL!!  WAY TO GO!!!

[Deleted brain fart post]

Rest day for me, which is just as well as it was one of those nights where you wake up about every hour to hour and a half. 

Enjoy the week ~

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Confused  I'm confused as to what you're looking at, Leslie??  I THINK I'm watching the live boards...& has Arla's splits:

time of day time diff min/mile miles/h
        5K 11:10:03AM 00:28:24 28:24 09:09 6.57
        10K 11:39:46AM 00:58:07 29:43 09:34 6.27
        15K 12:11:02AM 01:29:23 31:16 10:04 5.96
        Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Top 'O the World!

So, she was in the 10:40 start group :P  I think I got that it is currently 81*F!!

projected finish at this time is 4:21:33

20K 12:45:38AM 02:03:59 34:36 11:08 5.39
          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Confused  I'm confused as to what you're looking at, Leslie?? 

Never mind.  I saw "Prj Finish" as "Finish." Blush

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

4:47:34!  What a brutal day by the looks of the times/stats!!!!

Congratulations Arla!! Cool  Please indulge irresponsibly!

YEA, ARLA!!!!!!!!!

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

What a cooker.

Congrats Arla! You can now brag about how you finished Boston on the hottest race day ever!!

Well, until next year at least.

Way to go Arla!!!!  What an race!  Smart pacing no doubt got you through.  I hear it was brutal, and sent many fine runners to the medical tent.  Now go do what Cindy said and tell all about it!

Progress Trumps Pefection

. . .  tell all about it!

. . . eh hem . . . we expect something from you, too, FIRST TIME MARATHONER!!

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

. . . eh hem . . . we expect something from you, too, FIRST TIME MARATHONER!!

No doubt!   Big happenings in the 40s +. 

Congrats to Carol and Arla!  Let's celebrate!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

flatland mountaineer

Congrats to Carol and Arla!!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

8 miles this a.m. in drippy, sticky - but great - conditions.  It was nice to not be freezing or soaked.  Dropped in 6 x 100m strides down a gentle slope at about Mile 6, then eased it home.  It was really nice to be able to just run without having the entire distance be a speed workout.  Blessedly, I made it the 4 miles to Safeway before the lower intestinal tract woke up.  Plan on some core/strength training after work.

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - poor Luna! Time for retirement from long trail runs for her.

Carol - wow, what a time in those conditions! Fantastic! You can expect to improve on that by leaps and bounds. Next time, pick an event with comfortable conditions, ha.

As you guys can see, I crashed and burned. It was good and hot, there were signs coming into the hills advising runners to walk them! I didn't have to do that, and they weren't that bad. The main thing I think was that no one was acclimated, I know at home I'm always slow the first few warm weeks of the year, but to go from IRCs to hot with no acclimation right into a marathon was brutal. I have never seen so many people walking a marathon. At one point, every single person in eyeshot was walking. People were down on the pavement early and often. I stopped a guy who looked like he was about to collapse and walked him over to a cop - this guy was literally staggering backwards, it was scary. In the later miles, it was hard to run because you had to zig and zag around people walking (and walking slowly), which was very tough in the later miles. To add to my stress, I had a 6 pm flight to catch and there was a glitch in my reservation! AARRRGHHH! When I got back to my hotel, I quickly showered and broke down in tears in the shower as all the stress came out. People on the plane out of there were looking baked, the guy next to me was physically ill until I encouraged him to have something salty.

That being said, what an amazing crowd. Prior to the race, everywhere you went, people would wish you luck. Entire towns were out to cheer, people had brought out all their lawn furniture, BBQs and hoses to party, cheer us on, and hose us down. Bars and restaurants had moved their businesses to the sidewalk. The colleges (not only Wellesley but also BC) had students out in force screaming their heads off. Once in town, the crowds seemed to only get thicker and louder. It was darn near 26.2 miles of constant noise and support, incredible.

Ex runner

Doggone, Arla!  So glad you got through all 26.2 miles and in one piece.  What an accomplishment for you, as well as all who endured.

Thanks for checking in.  I've been wondering how you are.  Heck, you survived the Boston heat wave, you can survive anything!!

Bet not many folks gave the airline attendants much trouble on the flights.  Too frigging spent and exhausted. Wink

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance