Masters Running

The Sat. 9/3 daily...this run is for Dr. J...CNY's beloved friend (Read 381 times)

CNY, it's great that you're taking DrJ to see her daughter's college XC race and that she's making progress.  DrRobin, what a bunch of bad luck on your vacation.  I sounds like you took it with a better attitude than I would have.  breger, sorry to hear your half was cancelled.  ribs, nice racing by the family.  Mike, nice you were able to see your son run and run with him.

Nice long runs for Mike, CNY, mari, and Tramps.  Good job on the speedwork for lame.

This morning, it was about 70°, calm, and humid.  I got in 8 miles that I don't think DrJ would like as it was so slow, about 1:25:20 for a 10:40 pace.  Just as I finished, there was some serious thunder in the distance and the rain came shortly thereafter. 

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS 

lamerunner

Good afternoon. Very nice idea, Mariposai!  I did my part, nearly 19 miles with a friend. Nice and easy. .  We ran from our neighborhood to the Rockingham rail trail, ran about 7 miles on the dirt trail then ran back. Felt better than expected after adding a swim and some light tennis to last evening, plus of course some wine.  Toward the end of the trail bit we ran into another friend who was warming up for a race; that was fun! Would havae been nice to stay or run out three miles and back to see the race, but then we would have needed a ride home.

Great and very kind that Karin drove Dr. J up to Keene. I hope the race went well and they had a good trip.

Very good run for you Tramps; you are getting speedy!   That kind of puts a new meaning to "fast finish."

Robin, sorry your vacation got so disrupted.

Happy weekend ...

{{{Dr. J}}}}

Tramps - Shocked  And the pace wasn't so bad either. Wink

6.80 power walking miles in 1:40:41 this morning out at Headwaters with a very minimal amount of running thrown in here and there.  My lungs and sinuses were telling me they're still not 100%, but I averaged 14:04 min average for the last mile.  Thems are good numbers for ultra running power walking! Smile  (well, at least for me . . .)

I was flipping through the channels earlier and came across the advertisement for the last two episodes of "Kate Plus 8." Anybody else think she's the devil incarnate? 

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Dave59

Busy day with a 3 year old.  I could have got up and ran when I woke up at 5:00, but instead went back to sleep until 6:30 when she woke up.  I have some relief now and could run, but who wants to run at this time of day, especially when its been raining for hours and now the sun is out and bright!?  I guess I'll watch a little football and then cook some steaks on the grill. 

I had plans to go to a family reunion 9/24, but now I have to do a software install at that time.

I had plans to run a half marathon with bergeer on 10/8 but now as he said that has been canceled.

So maybe I'll consider dropping by my 30th year college reunion on the weekend in-between and running the homecoming 5k that is held on their cross country course.  I was in the area a few years ago and ran it.  It was a lot of fun.  I doubt anyone I know from school will be there so I can skip all the other activities.   Just something to think about for now.

Hard to believe it was so hot down in your area Perch.  We were only about 70° at that time of day.  Maybe you picked the wrong part fo Michigan to move to?

Marathon Maniac #957

Mariposai – very lovely thought, yes.

Robin – French Polynesia – wow!  Maybe you could post a few pictures from some of your trips there.

Slo_hand – sounds like a challenging course.  I like that description – “a course that will punish those that start out too fast and reward those who have the patience to wait…”

Tramps – nice run!

Byll – sorry to hear that.  Is there another race you can find to run? October seems to have a lot of them.  There’s always the Dayton River Corridor Classic HM on that date….Wink......don’t you have a DD in this area?  I'll run it if you will....Smile

This morning I did a 5k time trial embedded in my run, trying to figure out what my current 5k pace is.  The run went like this.

1.48 mile WU

3.1 mile in 26:00 (8:23 pace) ......ouch

5.12 mile easy pace

1.42 miles run/walk with the dogs and DD on a bike

11.12 miles total

26 minutes for a 5k is not quite my PW, but almost.  And that really felt like all I had to give today.  Oh well.  Gives me a target to work toward improving on in the next two weeks.  And, looking at last year's results for the upcoming race, that would have gotten me 3rd AG...maybe the fast wimmin will stay home that day....Joking

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Maraposai! How wonderful of you to start the thread this way and honor Dr. J. Thank YOU! and to all of you with your good vibes and thoughts. It was an emotional, but good day....last Saturday as Irene was brewing, her daughter saw her mom in the hospital and today as she rounded the first curve at her race, there was her mom cheering and crying. Puts a lot in perspective. Her daughter had a mighty kick at the end too and picked off at least six or seven just before the chute. I showed this thread to Dr. J on my phone as we got back into town and she says thank you with all her heart.

Nice running here folks!

Easy six miles for me this morning. I'll run a few more tonight and then the kiddo's first hockey game of the season is at 8 pm. Drinking coffee now!

4 miles for Dr. J.  I had put off running all week, after a previous week of no running due to vacation.  But none of my excuses were really valid.  I kept getting more and more anxious that the run would be hard and sucky the longer I put off starting up again, and it was anything but.  Gorgeous dry and shady horse trails, perfect temperature high 60's and a breeze.  It was all runners there today, didn't see any riders until the end.  No garmin - it really helps to ditch that thing when I just want to run easy.

Dropped my DS off at middle school orientation on Thursday and when I went to pick him up he was crying and talking to a teacher.  I was right on time but I guess he thought I was late and he didn't know if he was supposed to get in line for any of the paperwork, buying gym shirts etc.  He gets really thrown off by new routines.  Not sure what I can do to help hiim.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

SteveP

You're a good friend Karin

Crud Robin, it sounds like you need a break after your vacation.

Impressive work on the course Slo.

OOhh..."Mulching"...I thought you said "Munching"......mmmm...munching.

I was up there last week Breger. It is easy to picture a run in a kaleidoscope of fall colors. Permits may have been revoked, or not even issued. Do it any way. No law against a few people running along a leaf covered road. Most races are before the gawkers get out of bed any way. A couple of miles East of the little red store in Good Hart, there is a section of the North Country Trail. DW are and I have reservations in Mesick and are taking in the section down that way.

Sweet run MikeE!

Karin, see above.

(((((Enke's DS)))))

DW said she was in the mood for something different for breakfast. I made baklava. However, between the layers I also added fresh peaches. That looked good so I made a strawberry one as well.

Tag and I went for an hour and a half on trails for DrJ. No idea how far.  Amazing views. With Avenger Doggie's water bottle it's difficult to carry a camera. Tag has learned how to pick ripe blackberries from the bushes. More incentive to try and out run the mutt I guess. He still expected ice cream after the run.

BIL still has not gotten his coffin out of the pole barn. DW had a garage sale and he asked if she'd sell it. On my watch, a number of people made comments about it. Not too many garage sales have caskets. I told our various guest the kids got it for me on Father's Day. Then added that I would not get a Christmas gift unless I used the coffin.

SteveP

great way to start the day Nancy!!

Karin - so glad Dr J had a wonderful time seeing her daughter -- must be so emotional for all!!

Robin - sorry your vacation had so many twists but sounds like you are back on track with today's run!

((Enke's son))  my oldest was never good with changes either

4.7 mile walk around a pond today with a good friend - i am so proud of her ... she is losing weight thru ww and walking at least 4-5x/week -- today we jogged 1 minute out of every 10 ... she's doing great!!   then i went out and did a 3 mile run on my own -- kind of wish i did the whole 4.7 mile loop again, but was getting crunched for time.

tomorrow morning 8am swim with the triathlon group - have a wonderful day my friends .... cherish those you love!!

denise

30 minute run for DR J. Felt like a lard ass out there because I ate about 4 homemade bagels..they were wonderful...yummy..not perfect shape but taste wise they were perfect..

tired now...more bagels tomorrow to freeze.

Cheers

Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

....tall//........naw you gotta work harder to be a LardA$$....apply yourself....

.........did 2-hours Friggin' MULCHING

and

got rewarded with Beer and Oyster Po'Boys....

YOWZA/////

........predicting

5-7 inches of rain

tomorrow and Monday,,,,,,,,,hey, I'll TrailRun Wet.....

DOUBLE YOWZA///////

.................good running guys..........have A Safe Weekend....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

evanflein

Thanks, Mariposai, that's a nice thought. And yes, always good to let your friends know how special they are to you!

Robin, while there may have been good parts, basically you had the vacation from hell. You'll get back to speed pretty quickly, I'm sure. 

Tramps, wow, that was a great run for you! I love doing the fast finish long runs... just don't always have it in me to pull it off.

Byll, well that sucks. Sorry to hear about your race being canceled. Surely there's something else close by in either date or location? Or, do what SteveP said and just run it anyway. Or part of it. What the heck, why not?

Tselbs, I'm sure Dr. J will appreciate all the miles run for her, regardless of pace. Glad you beat the thunderstorm.

I hope Dr. J enjoyed the rockin' run I ran for her today. It was amazing, legs felt great and I only felt like I was pushing it a bit on the third mile, which has a big hill for the second half. I don't think I've ever run that in 8:21 before, but I did today. I love it when running feels this good! I'm gonna gloat a bit and post my mile splits:

7:51

7:49

8:21 (there's that hill)

7:45

7:52

7:28

7:44

7:50

7:27

7:29

7:51 (last .23 mile)

10.23 miles in 1:19:25, 7:46 overall avg pace. Felt great, didn't wanna quit but that's when I got up to campus where DS1 had parked my car in the dorm lot. So... went shopping and came home.  And, just for Opie....

King of PhotoShop

This morning I did a 5k time trial embedded in my run, trying to figure out what my current 5k pace is.  The run went like this.

1.48 mile WU

3.1 mile in 26:00 (8:23 pace) ......ouch

26 minutes for a 5k is not quite my PW, but almost.  And that really felt like all I had to give today.  Oh well.  Gives me a target to work toward improving on in the next two weeks. 

Do this same workout again next week.  Spareribs

wildchild

Carolyn

Erika, you call that a BIG HILL?  C'mon - you've seen big hills, and that's not even close. Roll eyes  But very speedy run, nevertheless.  Smile

So glad that Dr J was well enough to see her DD run today.  Karin, you're  a sweetheart.

Byll, I love Batman's idea to go do that run anyway.  Wish i could come too. 

5.5 miles around the neighborhood with the D dogs - lovely and cool today!  The high today was maybe 60°, but I didn't head out till 6 pm and it was 51° - just about IRC.  It was down to 43° when I got home, and my hands were even a little cold.  Beautiful sunset tonight over the divide.

DH and I started cutting firewood today.  Took down a bunch of standing dead trees along our driveway and also some live trees to widen the drive.  The new dump truck/ snow plow is so big our driveway needs widening, since it clips the branches now.  It was a really nice cool day to be outside working. I guess fall is coming!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Byll, - Or, do what SteveP said and just run it anyway. Or part of it. What the heck, why not?

In the ultra running world, we call that  a "Fat Ass" - just a bunch of people getting together for a self-supported run.

Tonight's service was on Forgiveness . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Extremely appropriate for where my life is right now.

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance