Masters Running

Saturday 4.9.16 (Read 35 times)

mrrun

Happy Birthday Henrun - and many more!

Fleet feet to racers and may the wind be at your back.  Happy walks, hikes, bike rides, runs to all and (((hurting body parts))))

No runs yet - later for me,

marj

Marathon Maniac #957

{{{Tammy}}} - that sounds miserable.  I hope the meds help quickly.

Rest day for me today, but lots of errands planned.

I woke up this morning to 2" of new snow. Really?  Snow?  I don't even remember the last time we got snow in April.  Bizarre.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HENRUN!!! Have a great day, and top it off with a birthday martini!

With new snow, it sounds like a good day for a rest day, Holly.

It sounds like Twocat, Tammy & Stumpy are doing what needs to be done to get healthy. Tammy, I share your reluctance to take prescription meds, but sometimes that's just the best way to go. I hope they work quick enough for you.

Dave, sometimes just walking away is the best way to deal with an impossible situation.

RCG, I like most pot-stirrers, so don't stop on my account!

Lott'a work, Leslie! I agree that you deserve to get paid additionally for the extra work.

Twocat, there may be some truth in what you say.

At least you don't have to water it, Tet.

5.2 RW miles this morning in 32F temps. I felt sluggish out there, so I just took it easy and didn't try to force it. After work yesterday, I worked 4 hours at a art show-fundraiser, and was on my feet the entire time - I think that is what did me in this morning. But now, DW and I are going to our favorite dive for breakfast, and I'm sure I'll feel better after that.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

I completely missed Tammy's post from yesterday.  Man, that sounds terrible.  I hope you feel better and are able to do your race.

TammyinGP that sounds awful! I so hope the medication helps and fast. Good luck.

Mike E if you do something for a living and someone asks for your help that you have not volunteered to provide, in my view, you are entitled to ask for compensation. I would look into what they want, as in get a few details and then offer them a contract (that includes your fee) to do the work.

Holly S. we are supposed to get some snow later today. This is one cold April! 

My DW went off to run today. I got some salmon on the smoker that I brined last night. Tonight we are going to some friends for their every other year cheese tasting party. That should be fun.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Dave59

A couple inches of snow down here in Huntington WV too. Along with lots of wind.

I procrastinated for an hour or so and then headed over to the park for a run. Like most days, I park at the back entrance and run to the main part of the park. I found myself running to the start of a 5k.  I thought I was going to need to adjust my plans for my run to stay out of the way of the race, but then I heard an announcement that the start would be delayed 30 minutes because of an accident at the entrance to the park.

That gave me time for a couple laps around the little lake, then back to my car and out of the way before the race started.  Garmin = 4.31 miles.

evanflein

TammyinGP that sounds awful! I so hope the medication helps and fast. Good luck.

Mike E if you do something for a living and someone asks for your help that you have not volunteered to provide, in my view, you are entitled to ask for compensation. I would look into what they want, as in get a few details and then offer them a contract (that includes your fee) to do the work.

Holly S. we are supposed to get some snow later today. This is one cold April! 

My DW went off to run today. I got some salmon on the smoker that I brined last night. Tonight we are going to some friends for their every other year cheese tasting party. That should be fun.

Twocat, this April here has been really nice! We've had a couple of cooler days with sloppy new snow, but it's gone by the end of the day. Still some lingering snow hanging around but it'll be gone soon, too. We're sunny and into the 50's today, so I'm loving it!

I quoted Twocat's entire post because I'm seconding the feelings for Tammy and the message to Mike E that he shouldn't give away his talents! She wouldn't dream of asking a doctor or a lawyer to work for free on the side, why should she expect you to do that? My DH hates that. He's a financial advisor and is frequently asked for advice or recommendations in social situations. And he certainly doesn't mind helping people, but sometimes they really push the limits.

And a cheese tasting party sounds like a lot of fun... really!

Happy Birthday to Henry! I'm sure you guys are going to do something fun as you usually do very interesting things!

Perchcreek is doing the Martian Marathon today, but the web site is down with an error message. The weather forecast was awful so I hope everything is going ok. Hey, he's coming up to Traverse City to run Bayshore with me on the 28th. Steve P, are you still coming up? Anyone else? After the party at Green Bay, I think this will be a smaller group.

Had a helaciously (is that a word? It should be) busy week at work last week, and I'm going in to finish up some things today. Will run 5-6 miles easy today, then the first 20 miler is tomorrow and the weather looks awesome. It'll be up to me to eat right and not stay up too late to make it a good run. Let's see if I can do that.

TammyinGP

I didn't go to the race this morning - even just to spectate and cheer. I really need to get this poison oak under control and that means keeping it uncovered and constantly applying calamine. it is so unsightly that I won't go out with my arms uncovered. like this is really ugly - people would think i have leprosy or something. maybe that's vanity. i dunno.  I don't think we've ever had better IRC than today either. upper 40's to start, probably mid 50's now, which actually might feel too warm to some, but 10 milers should be done now , just the walkers still out there so great conditions for them. 

i'll be volunteering at a sprint duathlon in GP next saturday and then running lost creek lake the weekend following, so i'll still get in a couple racing related things this month. 

david just texted me. They took 1st place, state champs, for their American Enterprise FBLA competition. Not sure yet how he did in Impromptu Speaking, but he was just doing that for fun. Am. Enterprise was the main gig.

Tammy

Happy birthday to Henry, enjoy the day.

Tammy – so sorry about the poison oak and all but it sounds like you are on the mend. Too bad to miss your running streak on the Pear Blossom though.  Good going for David and the team.

Holly – at least snow in April doesn’t stick around for long.  Good luck in the marathon tomorrow.

It is unseasonably cold for the NE and Midwest. I wonder how many layers Amy will have on now that she’s a southerner.  Have fun in Reston y’all and Stumpy in Richmond.

MikeE – nice long run last night.  I almost always forget one of the ingredients in a BLT. Sometimes it’s the L.

Dave – Yeah, it would be worth a trip to Portland, you should come!  Sorry about your work issues but at least you got in a couple of runs.  Why didn’t you run the 5K this morning?

Carolyn – How are you doing? Any more trips with the van coming up?

CR – good luck on the surgery on the knee.

This week has been one of the windiest that I can remember. Garbage cans blowing down the streets, etc. I think Thu/Fri were constant 35 mph winds, just relentless, Ugh! My training plan had a 10K for Sun (which I am not doing) so decided to do a long run. I got an early start and thought I’d do the same route as last week, about 8 miles. It was chilly this morning, 20° which felt like 10° and the wind was picking up again. At mile 3 I took a side trip to the Y for a water break and to check in for my fitness discount . Man, did I get cold when I turned into the wind. Up until then I thought I was dressed OK with my fleece jacket and a LS shirt, but it was absolutely the coldest I have been in a long time. I almost called for a ride home but remembered a quote I read yesterday from George Shehan: "It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit." I did want to quit but toughed out a tough 6 mile run and will try again tomorrow.

MrStarr put the dock in today so spring (and summer) weather should be just around the corner.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

henrun, happy birthday.  Tammy, congrats to your son and his FBLA teammates.  Mike, nice long run.

This morning, I walked 4 miles on the TM at a 13:43 pace.  This afternoon, I did 2 miles outside at a 13:23 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Tammy--sorry about the leprosy.  hope the calamine and prednisone clear things up soon.  Great news about Dave and his team!

Happy Birthday, Henry.  Birthday martini sounds like a fine idea.

Mike--sounds a little much to me, too.  Might be one thing to take a look at plans that they already have, but putting together a set?  That's a fair amount of work.  But if someone were to ask me to do something electrical that would be more than a couple of hours that I didn't really want to do, I'd quote the rate that our company charges for my time, which is a LOT more than I make as take-home.

I had my 10K in Richmond today.  Wasn't sure how things were going to go--travel and ear had limited the amount of training the past few weeks.  The weather cooperated nicely.  About 45 and sunny, with a headwind on the out of the outa and back.  I managed to stay pretty steady after a sort of slow first mile.  Ended up with a 59:39 official time and satisfied at least one of my goals, which was to break an hour.  Fortunately it was not to break an hour by a lot.  I'll see tomorrow morning if I hit my second goal, which was to place high enough in AG to get my name in the paper.  I did 116 of 473 and last year they printed the first 150.  with my luck they'll probably go down to the first 100.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Happy Birthday, Henry!!!! 

Tammy - I so know what you're talking about with the poison oak.  I've seen Shorty with it like that too many times (and once way to close for comfort to a not so friendly place, if you men know what I mean . . .)  Hang in there.  You should be seeing a difference at least by Monday.  And congrats to David and team!  Woot woot!!

MikeE - I echo what everyone else has said.  Don't give your time away for free.  Like was said here, it's one thing to look over something and maybe give it a tweek or two, but to prepare plans from the ground up?  Your time and your experience are worth you getting paid.

Starr - Way to gut it out!  Good for you!!  And I love that quote.  I've had to repeat it to myself many-a-time.

As for me getting a raise?  Like I said - doubtful.  They give raises once a year.  But maybe I'll get more than the usual percentage increase.  We'll see.  First we have to see how I do!! 

14 miles this morning in humid conditions with Heidi.  We were soaked by the time we got done.  It looked like we'd been in a downpour!  We stayed on the main logging road at the McKay and worked on our pacing today, and I tell ya, my legs are telling me that we did a good job of consistent pacing/consistent running.  The legs are barking, but in a good way.

Now it's transcription, transcription, transcription, then church tonight.  The Hub is already dressed to go.  Me - I look like I just crawled out of bed.  I went straight from the shower to my PJs.  Hmmm . . . wonder if I could get away with going to church like this???

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, friends ~~

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

,,,just back from knoxville...........HAPPY B'DAY HENRY////////

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Starr. I enjoyed reading the quote about who you are really competing against.

I felt that today.  Yeah, some runs are tough.  But you don't get stronger without pushing yourself.

10.2 miles at Bridle Trails.  I have that awful sore toe, so what I did was pull out a pair of old trail shoes, that had been converted into lawn mowing shoes over a year ago.  They were ripped across the top where the balls of your feet would be, so there was lots of extra room for my toes.  They worked great!!!  No toe pain at all, no rubbing on my toe nail.  I think next week I will visit the running store that is right next door to my office, and try to find a pair of shoes half a size bigger.  It's been vanity on my part, not wanting to go up to a size over 10 (female).  Cripes, when I was young, I wore a size 9, then pregnancy made that a size 9.5, then just getting older made that a 10, now I am looking at 10.5.  I suppose arches fall, feet get stretched out, spines shrink!  But at least I am still doing it!!

Anyway, near the end of that 10 miler today, I did a little walk break, and almost cried from the overall pain in my feet and legs.  It felt better to run actually than to walk.  But a few hours later, I'm fine (mostly).  My old trail shoes (aka grass cutting shoes) just have no bottom cushion left.

Now to tidy up the house....it's still my kid free weekend and MBE will be back soon from his mega-ride.  He does anywhere from 70-100 mile bike rides every Saturday.  Good thing we both like endurance sports!  But I bet there will be no energy left tonight for the pillow fight, Holly!  

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Sayhey! MM#130

Happy birthday henrun!  On the way back from supper with Barb and Ralph and their most lovely DD and SIL.   Trying to be a good guest and not on my phone so feel free to post photo here if you want.   Thinking of you; nice one, Kevin!

Enjoy the weekend!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)