Masters Running

Fryday July 6 Daily Thread (Read 375 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks Tryymps.

Happy Fryday Byll and everyyone.

the longest I've run by myself is 6 miles so far.

OM - I guess I had a dream you are my hero for running 26.2 miles all by yourself.

Come on out here for my IM mentor's weekly one-hour-out / one-hour-back runs so everyone is a winner finishing at the same time.

Taperboy, did you know that my son was going to visit my family in Paraguay and did not tell me? 

Posie - I guess that's a good enough reason to have missed him in Wednesday's Firecracker 5000.

Now, all we have to do is find divechief. 

I hope he's in town and can get to the Tunnel again this year with us..

Are you and dove aiming for PR's.

I can hardly wait to introduce you to my nemesis goddess Judy

who's aiming for a sub-four like you did last year.

ps - did the family down there know DS-1 was heading that direction?

I already miss him.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Tet, I DID run 26.2 by myself... but I was listening to music, so does that invalidate it??

And to clarify about those 6 miles, it was a 12 mile run in total: 1 mile by myself, 2 with a couple GFs, then 6 solo, then 2 with another friend, then the final mile alone.

I'm joining the group run tomorrow. And I'm going to email K specifically and ask that my name be added to his distribution list. I'm entitled to at least that.

TammyinGP

Tet, I DID run 26.2 by myself... but I was listening to music, so does that invalidate it??

why would that invalidate it? you still ran 26.2.

26.2 miles is 26.2 miles whether you run it w/someone, as part of a race, as a training run, with music, on a treadmill. . . doesn't make it any less of an accomplishment.

Tammy

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Tammy, I mentioned that since I've stopped listening to music while running, the longest I've gone solo (no tunes, no company) was 6 miles in a row. I said that because the prospect of running 13 miles this weekend with no tunes and no company was a bit daunting. Sorry if I was unclear. It's been a hell of a morning.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

OM - tammy's right,

Nothing invalidates running 26.2 miles.

It's yours forever.

congratulations.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

OM - I am glad you decided to be direct and email the guy.  I didn't think there were any, but maybe he is a running snob, or just very much wants to get out of the whole FB thing, and is disorganized too.

Tammy - that was so mature and touching what your son said.  You should be mighty proud of him.

Went out for some pints and a burger last night - was redlining the scale this morning.  4 drippy slow miles, 55F, but 85% humidity, it felt like 65F.  I know, kill me.  It was nice.  We have a sunny warm weekend coming up.  Today is only the third time this year I've worn shorts or a skirt.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

OM: I hope you find a group to run with, but if not, why not try downloading some podcasts? I find them to be enjoyable when running alone since it engages my mind more thoroughly than music does. There are a lot of free podcasts downloadable from iTunes and other sources.

No running, but it was already 90 when I went out to cut the grass at 9:30, so I wore some running shorts and top since that was the coolest thing I could think of. My DW commented that it was an appropriate shirt: my "Run Thru Hell" 5K. Sort of "Mowed Thru Hell" to get the job done.

Higgs Boson walks into a church. The priest says "We don't permit Higgs bosons here." Boson says, "But without me you can't have Mass."

Have a good weekend, everyone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Enke, I totally get the whole needing to leaving FB scene. K still has 71 friends in common with me on FB, including my crowd of slower running GFs. So the only conclusion that comes to mind is that it's personal. So be it. Just if you're organizing long runs for people in marathon training for the club, don't alienate anyone, 'nuf said.
                  Dave59

Higgs Boson walks into a church. The priest says "We don't permit Higgs bosons here." Boson says, "But without me you can't have Mass."

Have a good weekend, everyone!

Big grin  I'm going to steal that and post it in a few more places. Big grin

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Wow, a Boson joke less than a week after it's announced.  Very impressive.

oh yeah, running--3.1 very slow, very grudging miles this morning.  Not sure exactly why, but excess humidity and lack of sleep may have something to do with it.  Bleh.

OM--good thing you run to relieve stress, right?? Roll eyes  I've never run with a group and very rarely with anyone at all.  I'm too worried about screwing up someone's pace.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

. If I run with the group, it could appear I'm muscling my way in where I'm not wanted, even though several others have noted my running improvement as of late, and say I definitely belong and deserve to be with the group.

Okay, sorry Esther, but this is ridiculous.  There's no "deserve" about it. 

1.  You are a member of the running club.

2.  You paid your dues like everyone else. 

3.  This is a group run for those training for NYC - that includes YOU! 

What, does your running club have a rule that if you don't run "x" pace, you're not allowed to train with them? I guess if that were the case, they wouldn't let ME into their group.  I would think that, no matter what the pace, in a group there would be SOMEONE, probably LOTS of someones, running your pace, whatever it may be, slow, medium, and fast.  And, btw, you're running your LRs WAY faster than I am right now, so I probably could not keep up with you at the moment.  Does that mean I would not "deserve" to run with your club?

So, you show up at that Saturday run, and if that guy gives you and crap, I'll personally drive up there and slap him silly.

Glad we cleared that up.  (dusting my hands off)

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I am impressed too....Boson jokes! Thanks rochrunner.

I ran 5.8 miles with the kiddo this morning. He is timing and mapping all his routes according to his summer training plan for x-c so it was fun to know how far and at what pace. 8:01 pace and steady---even a few times when I told him to wait (our first mile was a 7:24)!  It was a recovery run for him and a nice steady pace run for me. More importantly, time with my baby.

OM, I am glad you'll join them on Saturday and will ask to be on the list. I like group runs a whole lot and also go solo and like that too. If you lived near me, I'd say come along with me and the Js, we'd love to have you!  Hang tough. 

P.S. and he best not mess with Holly....come pick me up too!

Marathon Maniac #957

Okay OM, this is also ridiculous.  Out of 20 marathons/ultra marathons, I have listened to music to 19.  Does that invalidate them?  What on earth difference does it make?  My legs are doing the same thing no matter what my ears are doing.  What about the races where I talked the entire time? (still with music on very softly).  Do I get extra credit for motor mouth?  Wink

Granted, I have the music turned down very softly at races, and barely hear it at all if there is crowd noise or if I am talking, but on those long lonely stretches when the road gets quiet, I can hear the music, gently in the background.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

So, you show up at that Saturday run, and if that guy gives you and crap, I'll personally drive up there and slap him silly.

Glad we cleared that up.  (dusting my hands off)

It would appear that we need to resurrect the old "trout slap" from the CR days.  I believe usually administered by Econo or MS.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Hard for me to relate to this as I like to do my LR's by myself, but I take your point.

Same here.  My LRs are a chance for me to listen to audio books and enjoy the beauty of the river trail.  I prefer to do them alone and have this time to myself.  Probably the most peaceful time in my busy life, really.

Ribs - what a coincidence, and very nice to make a new friend.

7 miles for me this morning in 78 degrees, mostly easy with some striders here and there.

DH and I are going to an outdoor concert this evening.  He is trying to talk me out of it, given the fact that the tempurature outside is 101 degrees right now, but I really enjoy this band (Rubix Cube) and want to go.  It will cool down a bit by the time we go.