Masters Running

Black Friday - Shopping, Runs and Such Daily (Read 536 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

WTG Steve Cool Steve, you know sooo much about running, you should write a book...I would buy the first copy Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Quick trip to the library to connect with cyber-civilization. 5K yesterday was fun. Didn't run particularly well in terms of time, but felt good the whole way and have a new sense of myself as more and more of a "real" runner. I'm actually looking forward to the 5K on New Years; I'm determined to run the whole way, without walk breaks, regardless of my time. Best part of the race is that I had NO FOOT PAIN either during the race or afterward, so I think I finally figured out the gait/shoe thing. Rest day today. Slept late and have been shopping in our little shore town most of the late morning/early afternoon. Nobody pushing to get in stores, horse and carriage rides on the main drag and pictures with Santa in a life guard boat. Beats door-busters in my book. Off to a 6 hour rehearsal (with dinner break) shortly. Ah, the joys of being a musician at the holidays. Will be a fun time with singer-buddies, though. Smile Happy rest of the weekend, everyone. Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

dg.

hi! quick post. no time to read right now. how efficient, it takes so little time to become so behind. why don't other things work that way? 5 mile run this morning with 4 or 5 200 meter... intervals, if you can call them that if they're that short. just trying to pick up speed a little. over all pace 9:39, I think. max 6:57. best interval type thing was 7:47. then 2 sets on the weight machines, pushups & pull ups, back lifts, rows & deadlifts w/free weights. stretched. whirlpool. Yes hope you are all having a wonderful day.
          Off to do an internet search on clever ways to fix leftover turkey....
          Post a link to what you find! Ran the local 5 mile Turkey Trot with my DW yesterday. She beat her time from last year by 37 seconds! I was very proud of her. As for me . . . well I kept up! Big grin Hay one thing at a time. I saw all those AG award winning performances posted. No, I am not shooting for one of those, not now or ever. I know a hopeless task when I see it! Wink I just want to get back to my times from a year ago. Sigh. . . Today was another run with DW. This time a 7 mile route she likes. Very tranquille compared with yesterday when there were over 2000 runners along parts of it! We saw a hawk fly by about 15' above ground. It was amazingly quiet. Neither of us had any idea it was nearby until it literally flew by our line of sight. A very majestic animal. As to non-running I am off to do my bit for the economy. First stop is a local tableware shop my DW likes. Then the excitement of a plumbing store to replace a leaky kitchen faucet. Oh joy! Good runs all. P.S. After skimming yesterday's daily, and then going back to Tuesday's I just wanted to add: Jlynne I too am glad you are still here! P.P.S. biketm dreams about running? Let me suggest trying another topic . . . Big grin

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Hey tet, I'm closing in fast on my magical 30 day taper Tongue
            Timmy - maybe not about running but you’ve apparently read the taper book as tomorrow you will tie my most recent 28 day taper that ended last Sunday. I knew twocat and erika couldn’t do it and I confess the same about you. In all these years tapering so much on the boomer board, you’re the first time I’ve ever felt threa, . . . I mean enjoyed a challenge so muich. In fact, it makes me so enviou, . . I mean, overjoyed for you that I may go out for a run tomorrow. I may even do it two days in a row if your taper gets by me to 29 days on Sunday. However, if you actually make it on Monday to the magical 30 days needed for membership in nonrunners anonymous, it will be an honor on Tuesday to welcome you to full-fledged taper status with the most impressive recent past tapers of divechief (6 mo), twocat (3mo) and me (3mo). Good luck! <>you’ll need it)>>> ===== ilene he kept up for two mile!? Now I'm really envious.
            But yesterday afternoon I got an unepected extra two miles in running (jogging). I was asked to take my my little nephew running. Go teach him how to run, he loves running! It was clearly a ploy to get him out from under foot, but I obliged. Two miles later he was at last panting "no more running, I'm tooo tired!". Big grin

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

jules2

I will be going out shopping any minute now! But yesterday afternoon I got an unepected extra two miles in running (jogging). I was asked to take my my little nephew running. Go teach him how to run, he loves running! It was clearly a ploy to get him out from under foot, but I obliged. Two miles later he was at last panting "no more running, I'm tooo tired!". Big grin
              Should have taken the wheelbarrow with you.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Timmy - maybe not about running but you’ve apparently read the taper book as tomorrow you will tie my most recent 28 day taper that ended last Sunday. I knew twocat and erika couldn’t do it and I confess the same about you. In all these years tapering so much on the boomer board, you’re the first time I’ve ever felt threa, . . . I mean enjoyed a challenge so muich. In fact, it makes me so enviou, . . I mean, overjoyed for you that I may go out for a run tomorrow. I may even do it two days in a row if your taper gets by me to 29 days on Sunday. However, if you actually make it on Monday to the magical 30 days needed for membership in nonrunners anonymous, it will be an honor on Tuesday to welcome you to full-fledged taper status with the most impressive recent past tapers of divechief (6 mo), twocat (3mo) and me (3mo). Good luck! <>you’ll need it)>>>
                Hey tet, then I will be working towards another 30 days off...what door prize does that get me. Still not planning on running again till Jan 1st, but may not be ready then either. Still so very easy, even a Caveman could to it..... Twocat....your prolly right Big grin Dreamrunner Timmi

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

evanflein

No shopping for me today. I worked retail for years and have had enough of that. Besides, the parking lots are the real disaster-in-waiting around here. I like my car a little too much for that nonsense. We had a nice dinner last night at my parents' house. As a last minute change of plans, my sister told me to bring a salad as well as the potatoes, and she told my brother to just bring the pies (4 of them!). So, does my brother tell his wife? No... so we had two variations on green salad and since mine wasn't pre-dressed, I have leftover salad all ready for the next couple of days! Sis made a really good brussels sprouts dish with sauteed sliced sprouts, pine nuts and pomegranate seeds. Very interesting... Today it's much warmer than yesterday! It was -16 at this time yesterday, and it's +14 now. Cool stuff... I'll get my first outdoor run in weeks done today! MTA: Ok, just read Tammy's weird Christmas gift thread and now I get Jules' wheelbarrow comment... Big grin
                    Mornin', Peeps! No working for me today, and the Hub didn't have to be at work 'til 10:00. So we actually slept in 'til 9:00. Boy howdy, but it felt good. Well, I'll have to finish up my transcription at some point this weekend, but no pressure. No kiddos in this household, so no Black Friday shopping. Actually, no Christmas shopping at all. Haven't in years. Once the nieces and nephews reached 18, they joined us merry band of adults and get a Christmas card and a phone call. However, since the whole fam damily will be here this years, we're each going to buy a present and do a round robin sort of exchange. I need to come up with a really good gag gift for something else I have in mind. I will, however, join the hordes looking for a tree today. Blush And then the decorating begins. So to get myself in the whole git 'er done mind set, I went out for a 3-mile run that was going to turn into a 4-mile run, then went on to be a 5-mile run since things were going so well. So 5.03 miles in 47:25 for a 9:26 av pace. Big grin My pace these days is making me pretty darn happy. Timothy - You had me going, too, for a second. I was starting to get irritated thinking - What the he!! is he doing?? Just because you feel better one day don't make you healthy! And then I read on . . . . DickyG - I have to admit one of the things I look forward to most in this thread is your new press releases and your added comments at the end. Thanks! Well - I'm done with my bagel and coffee, so off the get a tree. Later!

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

No time to post yesterday, what with non-stop cooking, dishes and socializing with friends and families. Oh yeah - and our local Turkey Trot in the morning. There were 1300+ finishers, and it was chip-timed for the first time. They need to work a few kinks out of the starting line, but overall it was a fun race on a cold, clear morning. It was cool to see so many people out for a good workout before the eating extravaganza kicked in. I have been chasing an elusive sub 25 minute 5k for some time, and managed to get a bit closer yesterday. Results: 25:11 3/44 in the 50-54 female age group which was good for a 3rd place medal. 5k PR for me by 10 seconds Age Grade PR of 69.8% I was pretty close to losing my ill-advised peanut butter toast breakfast by the time I crossed the finish line, so I know I gave it my all. We made a big turkey yesterday, so that we'd have plenty of leftovers. We hosted our old pal Tramps and his lovely wife for lunch today as they passed through our area on the way to Tramps' do-over at the Northern Central Trail Marathon tomorrow. Photos are being processed as we speak. Good luck Tramps! Hope you all had a nice holiday with friends and family. Oops - I also ran 4 miles this morning. Just enough to keep the metabolism going as we continue to work our way through a too-full refrigerator.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Nice PR, PDR! Only did 3 ez miles, in the breeze and rain...was feeling a bit yuck from too much wine something yesterday. DH got up at 5:30 to chase a doorcrasher but he was too late. That is the one day of the year he gets up before 8am and it was quite shocking to me to actually see him do it. I want to do another marathon, this spring. Trying to just focus on lots of easy miles as my calves and hammie are still tight. Thanks for the suggestion of the wall stretch Leslie, I think it is helping, but I also think I overdid it yesterday (the stretch). When I tried to speed up today it let me know it is not ready.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Jlynne

Evanflein - would you be kind enough to post your sister's recipe for brussel sprouts? I'm always looking for new ways to fix them. Siced with pine nuts sounds delicious. Eliz - what a relaxing way to shop! I'll bet your gifts are really unique, too. Leslie - our family is doing a while elephant gift this year since none of my kids have any money. Everyone has to buy a gift for $20.00 and wrap it. I thought of a great idea! Everyone loves the movie "The Christmas Story," so I thought I'd buy the dvd, get a bottle of Ovaltine and a box of Red Ryder bb's. What'ya think? "You'll shoot your eye out kid!"

Marathon Maniac #3309

Timothy - You had me going, too, for a second. I was starting to get irritated thinking - What the he!! is he doing?? Just because you feel better one day don't make you healthy! And then I read on
                            Big grin - didn't mean to irritate you in my dream. But like Twocat said....I should probably find some different to dream about... Tim

Jlynne, My DD21 went to the Christmas Story House in Cleveland today. Toured the house then rode on the firetruck that responded to Flick's flagpole incident. She purchased a leg lamp ornament, but there are full size leg lamps and yard ornaments also for sale. It was the 25th anniversary of the movie's release so many of the cast members were there too. They also have on-line sales.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

I bought a piece of exhaust pipe for my noisey car today and rented a movie, WallE. DH had to explain this is not about Wally, the Red Sox official team mascot. Sad 2 ez miles. grins, A
                                Masters 2000 miles