Masters Running

Mardi aka Tuesday (Read 44 times)

mrrun

By the time most of you read this, we will be walking the Pope's palace in Avignon (not sure about Jay and Steve P).  We're on a river cruise in southern France with glorious weather, food, drink, and towns.  Last night we danced to 'so good', so good etc. altho they were not!  Not much running, but walking lots!

I marched in many Memorial & Veteran Day parades as either a scout or band member.  Awesome racing over the w/e. Pictures don't do justice and wifi is slow

marj

Marathon Maniac #957

Thanks for starting us out, Marj, and enjoy your cruise!  Maybe you can post some pics when you get back.

No run for me today, just 30 minutes or so of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

Marj, you are up and at 'em before me....this time...As those in your neck of the woods are saying, "Ooh la la ". I believe that translates into, "French toast is the best".

SteveP

coastwalker

Mornin' Marj, Henry, Holly, Steve, and the rest of the crew.

The cruise sounds great, Marj! Glad you are enjoying yourselves, even if the band wasn't the best.

Good early core work, Holly.

Our trade conference last week and over the weekend was good, but exhausting. I was disappointed to not have made plans to get together with some of the PNW crew, but it was the right thing to do: The only free time we had was in the evening, and we had dinner each night with our team, which was good for decompressing, and assessing each day's activity and discussing changes for the next day. I worked out each morning on the hotel's dreadmill, averaging 3-4 miles per day. DW and I caught the red-eye back Sunday night, and I think I slept for about an hour on the plane. We got home at about 8am, and after unpacking and making nice-nice with the cat, I slept for another couple of hours before getting back to the 'normal' routine by mowing the lawn, pulling weeds, grocery shopping, etc.

I woke at the usual time this morning, and went 5.2 RW miles around the neighborhood. My legs were pretty tired, but I guess I shouldn't have been surprised after having spent a few days on my feet at our display booth. Still, it was wonderful to be outside and back in familiar territory.

Have a greta Tuesday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mariposai

A cruise sounds awesome.

It seems like Jay will need a whole week to recover from this weekend.

Just a little over 5 miles with my rocking running buddy. A day from running yesterday really helped to wake up the legs today.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Dave59

I decided to try and do something other than running so twice a week I will go back to the gym.  Today was the first time and I did a warm-up on the ARC trainer followed by weight stuff.

I was so sore from the weekend of yard and house work that I could barely move when I got up.  It took a while to get my back working right.

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

I told marg and henrun they're my favorite version of "Where's Waldo?"  You never know where they'll turn up, do you?  (I think they should visit Michigan next month.)

Thanks for the post  yesterday, Mike.  I wore my South Dakota shirt we (a group of runners from my Black Hills Runners Club)  had made for the Marine Corps marathon in 09, with names of fallen South Dakotans on the back, in the marathon Sunday.  We'd contacted friends/families and got the ok to use their names.  One of the judges I used to appear in front of knew two of them (he was a full bird prior to becoming a judge) and sent me note after he saw the pic.  Of one of the two he wrote: "And Mike Michels was a fraternity brother.  We got rip-roaring drunk at Ft. Knox when we were both heading back to Viet Nam.  Mike did not come back.  Newly married and a baby.  Where have all the soldiers gone?"

Read a good quote in a Trail magazine (it was in my race packet; trust me, I know I don't belong on trails!) about how 10 minutes of strength work is worth about 8 times the value of running one more mile.  I know I need to work on certain areas that shall remain nameless (i.e., the part you sit on ).  Legs are fine today, but o the butt!   And so, good decision Dave!  (Not to mention Holly, who is always so good about keeping up with the weights and exercises.)

Welcome home, Jay!

Yeah Rangers---and glad to read they're giving Hamilton a warm welcome.  Sunday's Sox were on top of things, and I had to travel yesterday and that's alls I'm sayin'

Love the color run photos, Steve.

This weekend was a super experience as we got to hang around folks who were so enjoying warmer weather.  It was fun to see so many smiles (and white legs) and hear people exclaiming about how great the sun felt.   Spring is just grin-enducing, isn't it?

Nine for me under a beautiful sunrise.  And no Speedsters tonight, being prudent.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

King of PhotoShop

And the rain continues.  People are starting to get mad.  But the Saint and I have been fortunate the last two weeks to sneak our runs in somehow between the downpours and get our plans done.  Today was a slow ten in a light drizzle.  It will come down heavy this afternoon I suppose.  Forecast is all week of rain.  Spareribs

Mike, great post by your son.  jlynne, good racing.  steve, I liked the color run pictures of you, Noah, and Tag.  I'm anxious to hear about marj and henrun's river cruise.  I've seen a few ads and it looks interesting.

This morning, it was in the mid to high 60s with a little wind.  I had no energy and my legs were tired from the start.  I slogged through 5 miles at a 12:02 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Ribs - Texas is getting pounded and we're dying out here.  We have a slight drip in our bathtub faucet, so until we can get it fixed, I have a 5-gal bucket catching the water.  It's amazing how much actually drips out.

Amy - I swear by core/ST training for trail running.  I am certain it's the only thing that keeps me from killing myself out there, with all the twisting and turning.  Too many times I've almost face-planted and know it was because of my work in that dept that I stayed upright.

Speaking of core/ST, per an article in Trailrunner Magazine, I'm going to be tacking on forward and backward walking lunges and side lunges after my runs.  I do lunges during my 2x/week C/ST, but it sheds a whole new light on things when your legs are tired.  I look goofy lunging down the road, especially backwards, but at 5:30 a.m., and considering how goofy I look in my running attire, who cares??  (And I thought of yo this morning, Ribs, when I put on my bright orange shirt, electric blue removable sleeves, and purple gloves - a combination that I know just makes you swoon . . . . or maybe not . . .)

I had a good run on Saturday in the Community Forest.  13 miles of up and down (there's nothing flat about The Forest) in 3:20.  I did better than I anticipated, considering I'm just getting back into things.  Hopefully this weekend's 15 will give me the confidence I need to know I can sweep for 18 hilly miles the following weekend.  I get a finisher's medal and a shirt out of it, so I figured what the heck!  Chances are I would've been the last, or at least one of the last, runners across the line anyway, and now I don't have to pay the registration fee.

Have a good, short week, folks ~

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Ribs - Texas is getting pounded and we're dying out here. 

Exactly what I was thinking when I was watching the news coverage this morning.  If only Texas could re-route that water over to California.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

I do a quick lurk when I can and think about you all.  Always interesting.

Speaking of interesting.  Not sure what I think of this: a site devoted to uncovering marathon cheaters.  Thoughts?

Be safe. Be kind.

Spareribs and OrangeMat (the latter via Facebook) I am just not sure I have much interest in doing Boston again.  I am coming to the conclusion I am just not into mega sized marathons.  I will still do some "just because" but I doubt I will repeat any.  Another issue is that these races sell out.  If I sign up for Boston that means someone else who really wants to do it gets pushed out.  Unless I am psyched to run it again, the world is probably better off if I do not occupy one of the coveted spots.

Spareribs part II:  I saw pictures of the floods.   Hope all is well around your place.  It looks awful.

Today I did, err, hmm, NOTHING!  Well nothing like run or workout.  Tomorrow?  Likely the same!  The good news is I can once again get in and out of my car using mostly my legs.  Plus, I can walk down stairs (albeit with some discomfort) and up is a snap!    My plan involves zero running until everything feels fully healed up.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

wildchild

Carolyn

Twocat, I think if you're not psyched about running Boston, it's good to give the spot to someone who really wants it!  And I agree about mega sized marathons.   But I do think if you get out for some easy running or walking, the stiffness in your legs will heal up faster than doing nothing!

I went for a 10 mile trail run in the local state park yesterday with a friend, and partway through I discovered I'd dropped one of my gloves.  So today I went back to look for it --  I found it at mile 6.98 of a 7.02 mile run - within sight of being back at my car!  If I'd run the loop the other way I would have found it as soon as I left the parking lot...      Oh well, it was a good run today anyway.

Hi Tramps!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

. . . these races sell out.  If I sign up for Boston that means someone else who really wants to do it gets pushed out.  Unless I am psyched to run it again, the world is probably better off if I do not occupy one of the coveted spots.

second post-of-the-century in as many days.

In addition to a few other sell-out races, for almost 20 years, I've been eschewing an otherwise enticing 50K I'd love to run a little north of here (Seattle) but have never registered for because it fills up in minutes now every year by good runners who not only really want to do it but who have trained extensively for it which I would never do so they deserve it way more than I do and I'd just feel guilty about running it if I ever got in but I'm too slow now so never will.  I've made a couple of exceptions over the years, e.g. Light-at-the-end-of-the-Tunnel Marathon and some IM's in those days, but only because of the camaraderie of friends entering too.

ps - same as ziggy with no rain here since I came back almost as if someone snuck in in my absence and took it all back somewhere.

ps jay - I hope you had some time for wild chinook/king salmon at all-you-can-eat Ivars on Sunday afternoon/evening or local dungeness crab and oysters at The Crab Pot but I don't think business meetings are very conducive to fine dining.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)