Masters Running

40's On the Run - Who's Your Valentine, Baby! (Read 544 times)

BTY

Great stuff 40's! I wish I could skip this week every year. Not that Valentine's Day is a bad thing. But last year I damaged the bottoms of my feet by walking miles and miles in my neighborhood behind a snowblower, wearing wool socks. We got our first snowstorm of the year - a 2-footer - and I spent the entire day-off from work snowblowing. My feet were so dried out and bloody that I couldn't run for the rest of the week - actually took the next day off from work as I recall. Now, I'm not running this week because I hit the ball of my foot so hard on the marble threshhold into my bathroom on Sunday night, that it looks broken - all purple and swollen. Doesn't hurt very much when I walk on it, but I'm sure that running on it would delay my recovery by numerous days. Angry bty

Top 'O the World!

Hey everybody....still working on reading everything ~ in btwn everything else around here! Surprised So far, Jayden is a pretty good sleeper! Yay! but then again, I'm sure he's just plain pooped! That's alot of work being born!! Thanks for the info Holly! I'm still working out the logistics of my system.... Hi Erika, Cagery, Evryday - Welcome! My family is solidly represented in the various military branches! Keeps everything in the front of consciousness.... Brian: what's this being injury prone on V-day all about Confused I've scooped lots of snow w/o doing that! Ok Leslie, hit the "reset" button Big grin R2: I think I'm frustrating the dentist this week w/how diligently I'm knocking off one temp crown Roll eyes - he finally used more permanent glue.....which will make it more of a challenge to replace in a month....I did suggest a "liquid diet"?! Pina Colada's, Margaritas, Strawberry Daquiri's.....cepting that I need a driver after 2!! LOL Joe: what Holly said...& I'm listening, cause I think I'm gonna do that later in the summer....haven't signed up yet, but I'm thinking about it....HM in May, full in Oct..... Undecided Hey Jewels! Good to hear ya runnin'! still jonesing over your warm weather.... I got 5.41 hilly, windy miles w/Mairead again today.....11:59 avg pc....
      Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
      btb1490

Jayden Shane was born early Sunday am 9lbs, 20 1/2"
        Congratulations Grandma!!! He's a beauty, and a big one at that! A keeper for sure! Smile
          Did my hill repeats just a little while ago. Ten of those suckers. The last 2 or 3 were a real struggle. Haven't done hill repeats in 3 weeks. This weekend I'll be running trails for the first time in a month and with Karen and our coach. Not looking forward to getting my butt kicked and whipped. Joe - I absolutely cannot stand GU. Refueling is a big problem for me. I mix GU2O with my water and take 2-3 good sips every 15 minutes. I have a bladder that I use for my long runs. I also use Clif Shot Blocks, which have the consistency of gummy bears and no GU-ee mess. I usually buy them by the box through Amazon. There's 6 blocks in a pack and 15 (20?) packs to a box. I start chewing them every 20-30 minutes an hour into my long runs. And if I'm going to be out for 2 hours or more, and especially if it's warm outside, I also take Endurolytes, which is an electrolyte replacement in pill form. One every hour beginning an hour into my run. I also take one or two nutrition bars and/or granola depending on how long I'm going to be out there. This may sound like a lot, but I do virtually all my long runs on trails. Refueling is definitely a personal thing, and I send you lots of good luck vibes for figuring it out. Cindy - Don't feel bad about what I said. When a friend turned 55 a few years ago, I gave him a box of Depends, Preparation H, and a stool softener. Ha! Now I must go work. Ta ta!

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Congrats, Cindy! It's nice that you're close enough to get to see those little ones often. Gu - grr-OSE! Doesn't help that the first time I tried it, I just squirted the whole thing in my mouth at once - bleh it made me gag. I'm with Leslie on the blocks and other little chewy things ...the sport beans are ok. R2 - good news on that hip! I hope things go as well with the teeths. Smile Easy week for me, running-wise, but I'm driving to Tucson for a wedding over the weekend, with an extra day on either end just 'cause I love Tucson. Hoping to get some green corn tamales and some carne seca...and maybe a short run in the desert. Arla

Ex runner

Hey fatozzig, their is also an abc documentry on the men who were at drang valley battle probably 15 years old now. The colonel who mel Gibson played and several of his men go back to visit the palce along with commander of nva regiment, In the movie, We Were Soldiers it was shown as victory for our side but was actually a massacre the next several days on their part. I to am a service brat, father was E7 in Korea, during vietnam, and end of ww II. Run long run well. PS Howard K Smith the ABC anchor for years. son was one of the men who returned to battle field in documentry, Jack Smith he also was a newsman for ABC

jfa

Morning Kids - Back in the saddle this morning after two days off.Slush storm last night kept me in but I was out the door at 5am today to be greeted by high winds and driving rain.Oh well,at 50* it wasn't too bad.7 miles @9:35 pace. Thanks for the advice about the gu and refueling.That stuff is pretty gross but my stomach can handle it. Tongue I usually do my early weekday runs on an empty stomach but like to get something(a little oatmeal,banana)in the gut for the long runs.I suppose I will learn from trial and error. Smile I will check out the other stuff that you guys suggested tho. Good luck with that foot Brian!Was that a part of your planned flooring job?It's dangerous being a Dad. Sounds like a nice trip Arla, how long does that take to drive?Must be a pretty drive and not too hot this time of year? Welcome Evan and Derrick,all are Welcome here. Big grin Have a good one folks

Runs with ALTITUDE!

Cindy - Don't feel bad about what I said. When a friend turned 55 a few years ago, I gave him a box of Depends, Preparation H, and a stool softener. Ha!
                  My daughter keeps telling me that's what she's getting me for my 50th!!! Mtnchk1 Congratulations on the birth of your grandson. Re: Gu Yeah! Mega yuk! The taste, the texture = I prefer Hammer Gelwww.HammerNutrition.com Their gels are lighter in texture, easier to swallow, have better flavor and citric acid-free. Gonna head out for a run here in a few minutes...my second run this week!
                    Happy Hump Day, Everyone! Welcome Derrick! I'll have to keep my eyes open for that documentary. Thanks for the info. Did you watch the recent PBS documentary on WWII? If not, I highly recommend it. Ken Burns has to be the best documentarian out there. He did an amazing job. Did an hour of strength training with the The Firm gals. The right knee is giving me problems again, so I'm limiting the amount and depths of my squats. Once it awhile it gets a little crazy and starts making popping noises when I do squats. That inevitably leads to inflammation under the knee cap. Although an ortho I saw a few years ago told me I was wrong, I absolutely know my knee problems are due to my old ankle injury. Didn't have problems until that happened. It is freakin' windy here today! Luckily, the ground has had some time to dry out since the last rains, so hopefully not too many trees will bite the big one. Have a great day! (do you guys see a weird square box, or do you see the image??)

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

That Jayden is precious!!!! And I love the expression on Luci's face. Grandma looks pretty darned in love too! Nice to see the 40's and the boomers mixing it up a bit more. I must admit to being a bit in awe of some of the boomer miles and paces. But it also gives us 40's hope for the future! Got in 4 runs last week, and so far 2 runs this week. Today's was a nice 3 mile tempo run: 10:33, 10:26, 10:10, follwed by walking the hills back home (and a chat w/ a neighbor). Legs felt good, but heart rate was sky high, and I was sucking a bit of wind. Hubby and I started Weight Watchers this week. He's doing the online version, and I'm doing my own spreadsheet version since I've done it before and still have the materials. My goal is to lose 10 lbs in 10 weeks (or however long it takes). Lots of job stuff going on, so haven't had much time to post. Had a good second interview yesterday for a really cool work-from-home part-time opportunity with a "virtual" CPA firm. It's actually based here, but serves clients nationwide via internet and phone. Fairly new and the owner lives about a mile from me. It would allow me to continue pet sitting and having a somewhat flexible lifestyle Smile. Don't want to jinx it, but I'm hopeful. Later 40's and boomers alike!
                      Progress Trumps Pefection
                        Had a good second interview yesterday for a really cool work-from-home part-time opportunity with a "virtual" CPA firm. It's actually based here, but serves clients nationwide via internet and phone. Fairly new and the owner lives about a mile from me. It would allow me to continue pet sitting and having a somewhat flexible lifestyle Smile. Don't want to jinx it, but I'm hopeful.
                        Keeping my fingers crossed for ya!!

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Leslie-Yep, from my computer it's a little wierd square box!
                          But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                            Hmmmmmmm - sometimes I see the box and sometimes I see the actually figure. Weird . . . very weird indeed. Confused

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Joe - I absolutely cannot stand GU.
                              The Vanilla Bean flavor isn't bad. The Chocolate one isn't too bad, either - tastes like brownie batter. I tried Clif Shot Blocks, but for some reason I can't chew and breathe and run at the same time... Sad BTY - I hope your foot gets better fast...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Top 'O the World!

...... This weekend I'll be running trails for the first time in a month and with Karen and our coach. Not looking forward to getting my butt kicked and whipped. Cindy - Don't feel bad about what I said. When a friend turned 55 a few years ago, I gave him a box of Depends, Preparation H, and a stool softener. Ha!
                                Not about that !?! I've already had several yrs of being a rebellious Grannie! Big grin ....The "reset button" I meant is about getting back on the trails! Wink {{{{{ Fingers crossed Carol! }}}}} Joe: maybe a couple of days off was all you needed! sometimes I carry granola bars & the like in my pack...but then, I'm novice @ this.... Woke up this am feeling like a low energy Grannie....coffee & steel cuts did nothing to boost my sleep deprivation (nothing severe - I just wanted another hour or two Roll eyes ) sooo, Mairead & I mostly walked our 10.7 miles....I could still take a nap! (she is!) However, It is STILL 62*F/16% H which makes all the trails water covered ice + slimey mud! makes for more of a "survival trail meets obstacle course" bet I didn't jog much more than 3 miles all told......Ah, well...weather people say big snow & much colder temps tomorrow.... had to share this: http://www.youtube.com/v/ervaMPt4Ha0&autoplay=1
                                Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group