Masters Running

1/23 TGIF runs.... (Read 572 times)

Holly - You and I are right there together. I think I'm one year younger (DOB 1966). And until about 3 years ago, "running" wasn't even in my vocabulary. Sad, but true. I recognized Angus, though. The Hub's a big AC/DC fan. Cranium - I forgo the pre-run caffeine, as well. I have enough problems getting back home safely without adding caffeine to the ole intestinal tract (and I'm not talking peeing, either). Big grin However, I do need to find something (besides a very vocal Wilson the Cat) to poke me in the butt and make me move as soon as the alarm goes off. Unfortunately (or fortunately?), I can grab Wilson, shove him under the covers, and he goes right back to sleep. No workout this a.m. as I am still recovering from a test yesterday. If I feel better, will try and at least get some mileage in after work. We took the plunge last night and bought some inexpensive tickets to . . . . . Australia!! Going toward the end of March for 2 weeks and will be staying part of the time with a couple we met in San Francisco a couple of years ago and with whom we've stayed in touch. I'm trying to find out if there's a run I can participate in while over there. Now THAT would be fun! Good luck to the racers this weekend!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #3309

In a hurry, so just want to say I got my Blunder posted...and Carolyn was the winner Cool Last night at the Y, again - 1 mile brisk walk - 1 mile easy paced run - 1 mile brisk walk on the treadmill...and I didn't fall off this time Smile TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

No clue 13 moh in 1:58:07 (9:05 pace, AHR 148). I ran this slower than usual because I'm doing my speed and MP runs separately. But I found running with a low HR in 25F, my feet got cold and my right foot started hurting. Once warmed up it seems fine. It's been a rough last 7 days. I got layed off in a RIF (first time in like 23 years- last time I got laid off in a RIF because I was the least senior, this time because I was the most senior...go figure) so now I feel like I'm in a life raft in the middle of the ocean with a small leak. I guess next week I start paddling. TGFR (Thank God For Running). Good news is I've already paid DD2's final semester tuition so... "mission accomplished" Big grin

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #957

Oh Perch! Bummer!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Good call on the day off, Tramps. You and Peter are smart to listen to the cues and take action (or inaction) right away. Wish I were so smart. Perch, tough times indeed. Sorry to hear it, but yes... very good job on the "mission accomplished." That's hugh. Good luck, Breger! I'm sure you'll do well... extra pounds notwithstanding. Also interested in your time goal... what would be a PR time for you? Yeah... not sure about the coffee on an early a.m. run. Although I do like to have a cup before a race... given enough time to "get things moving," so to speak. I tend to have the same issues Leslie has there... 1979 and AC/DC... my sophomore year at college in Wisconsin. Back in Black was a most awesome party album... Oh boy. I don't know that seeing Angus still in shorts is any more disturbing than seeing what Mick Jagger still does on stage... Oy. I have no idea who the running dude is. Hope Spareribs runs circles around him. Big grin Probably no running for me today... We'll see how I feel later on but I got a lot of stuff cleaned up and organized at home last night and will probably want to keep that project going. How's that for a hot Friday night?
              {{{Perch!}}} Keeping fingers crossed you don't have to paddle for long.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

SR, is it that guy Burfoot ?
                dg.

Perch, I'm really sorry. Hope this all works out well for you. Erika, sounds like a good Friday night to me. Might possibly want a glass of wine. . glad you're resting your hip. wanted to pop in & wish Divechief a safe flight to Maui. Good luck Sunday!
                  wildchild

Carolyn

Perch, sorry about the RIF! So now that your kids are finishing college, are you gonna retire? Wink Or are you looking for another job? Good luck if you're job hunting. I don't know that runner dude either. I graduated from college in 1979, but didn't start running till 3 years ago. Well, the shorts weather is gone. Sad It's 33° with intermittent snow showers. I'm still planning a lunchtime run.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Erika, my HM PR was set a couple of months ago - 1:44:59. I'd be happy with anything around there - maybe a 1:43 something (though that's highly unlikely). Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Back in Black, I was a sophomore in highschool, although we don't have those weird names in Canada. It took me years to figure out what sophomore means... There were the Stoners, the Jocks and the Student Council cliques. Although I played lots of different sports, I hung out with the Stoners, so AC/DC brings back some hazy memories (the fad of owning giant stereo speakers for one) - ugh. perch...that stinks. Byll - good luck! Dive...at least it's maui! 33ºF, 4 miles, same slow conservative pace as yesterday, 11:35. Did do a small bit at 9:40. No news yet from my doctor. No news is good news I guess.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Slo

SR, is it that guy Burfoot ?
                          1979 was my last year of Jr High. I was in cross country. The Boston Marathon was really being hyped up that year. Most people didn't even know what a marathon was exactly. Largest field ever if I remember. Bill Rodgers was the "Shit". Jean Benoit, was like 19 or 20 something. Worst winter everr recorded for snowfall in Iowa.......an April Blizzard that shut us down for over a week. My dog got shot.....he lived.....by a friend when were were hunting. Dad bought his 1st new car. A black 4 door Galaxy 500. That car was fast ! And Huge ! Lake Placid was getting ready for the winter olympics. And guess who takes Gold in Hockey !!!!! If you were in Jr High you went and watched Superman......Mom andDad watched Moonracker. And Daisy Dukes (shorts) were everywhere. But I don't know who the runner is.
                            So Sorry Perch. News like this is going to continue for awhile longer it seems. Thank goodness on the mission accomplished piece. Take care of you and TGFR indeed. LOVE the picture Ribs! I knew it right away based on the running stance ----even the way the arms are held. Like fine wine and cheese....I think I like the contemporary version better. I had the same sneakers in 1979 (I was 14 Tongue) and I swear the background looks familiar! Enke---I am so happy that you are running again and doing okay. Mach Schnell Bill! Get into that pace groove and if you are feeling fine at 11 miles, go for it! Just home from meetings in Worcester and I'll head out for a 3 mile walk soon to capture as much daylight as possible. Lots of hockey tomorrow for the kiddo and then a no play day on Sunday so we can watch the AHL skills challenge. CNYrunner
                              been sick the last 2 weeks as well as our furnace went out on Monday. No heat for 2 days, had to buy new one, I guess I won't be retiring this year. Temp was below zero tuesday night. Ran 3 miles this afternoon, real easy pace, after lifting weights this am. Bench press 7 sets 65-225, squats to 235, alt db curls,3 sets,10,20,30, same with db front raises, and db presses, knee ups 55 total, press dns 50-70 3 sets, same with lat pulls. I did 2 miles yesterday evening but no time to post.
                              lamerunner

TGIF! Long week for a short week... warm today here, high 30s. Big cooldown this weekend again though. No running today. 80 minutes on the elliptical though , plus some arm weights. Sure hope I am maintaining some fitness... in 1979 I was a freshman in college. I ran the Shamrock Marathon and another one too. I either won Shamrock or placed second, 3:06. We camped out on the living room of a friend of my high school coach in Va Beach. I was 18. i don't know who that guy is in Spareribs' photo but I sure recognize the look. Long hair, cotton shirt, Tiger racing flats... no iPod or Garmin. Great weekend to all!