Masters Running

MONDAY Nov. 17 - Runs and Non-Runs (Read 564 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

hmmmm....I thought you had said three weeks off....... Wink
    Yeah, 3 weeks is what I remember also Tongue Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Renee the dog

Nono - oh dear, I wasn't trying to get on your case about it. I just meant that as a gentle tease. I know you've had a lot on your plate...
      NO! I didn't think you were getting on my case! Please, no worries. Smile

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

So that is my current plan; three weeks off no if ands or buts.
        Yep - it was 3 weeks alright! Evil grin (posed on the November 3 daily thread)
        Sweet picture Mary...and Burrrr, that does look cold. Hey there girl. are you sure your suppose to be in the 40's group....you look more like 30 something lovely one Wink...how's the mojo coming along?
        Thanks Tim- here I thought you were going to say I look so slim- no need to diet!! Wink hehehehe The mojo is coming back. I've got a few goals to work toward now, plus my legs are starting to feel a little more normal too.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

evanflein

Nonoruns, you're doing it exactly the way I'd do it if it were me. But with all that you've been through, I'm amazed at what you're able to do. You really are a great example of grace under pressure. I don't think I'd be able to wait till cocktail hour! Well, since I'm not running (yet), I'm going to start running vicariously through you guys. Today, I want Byll's run! Great job, fren. You too, Tramps. What marathon did you end up re-focusing on? I think I missed that... Holly, the fact that you have some of your presents bought, wrapped and mailed does not surprise me in the least. I'm not one to start much before Thanksgiving, and mid-December is more like it. This year though I actually do have a couple of things put away for the boys that we've found this fall. Now the trick will be to remember were we put it! One of the things I'm enjoying about this layoff from running is the return to the weight room, which I seem to neglect when running a lot. I've been doing it up to 4 times a week, but taking time to focus on "parts" so no same "part" gets consecutive workouts. Yesterday was upper back/shoulders/chest/arms. Today I think I'll do legs and abs. Could break it down even more, but it's nice to have that feeling in your muscles like they "did" something besides push paper around (my usual desk job stuff). Now the trick is to keep it up to some extent when I start running again. Twocat, I sort of remember "2-3 weeks off" from you, which is the same as I said. Yesterday was day #14. Today, other than the weights, I'm not sure. Might just warm up on elliptical, do the weights and come home. We'll see...
            PDR, continued good thoughts going your way for you and your dad. You're a good daughter. dive, congrats on getting back to running. Walt, it's great that you got in a nice run without AT pain. enke, it's good to see you out of the non-running club (no disrespect meant towards the non-runners). lame, congrats to your girls XC team with their New England regional win. hopeful, nice picture of you, Heather, and Lake Michigan. I always like to see the lake but much prefer the way it looks on a nice summer day. nono, you sure have a good outlook and attitude. Nice long runs for lynden, Peter, perch (and 2300 miles for the year), Walt, and holly. Yesterday, while helping the kids move, I had a couple of minor hamstring twinges when I was carrying stuff up the stairs. That made me nervous and wonder if I should skip today's planned run. That would have been a pretty serious thing to do so, when I felt ok during my morning exercises and stretching, I decided I'd head out and see what happened, giving myself permission to run less than the normal 8 miles. The temp was in the high 20's, there was a light breeze, we'd had a light bit of snow, and a little more was coming down. I did feel a very minor couple of twinges but thought it would be nice to get in at least 3 miles, then maybe 4, then 5 looked good, and I ended up with 6 in a bit over 59 minutes for a 9:51 pace. In a few places where there had been traffic on the snow, it looked slippery. With a mile to go, I carefully made a U turn on my road, but not carefully enough and took a spill. It wasn't a big deal but it's been several years since my last fall so I guess I was due. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
              Tramps! I ran that NCT marathon last year! Excellent choice, and the hills are not bad at all. There are sweet little wooden traincars (since it's on a rails to trails path) for AG awards, too. You'll enjoy it, I'm sure. Way rushed today, thinking of you all--enjoyed the photo, Mary. You non-runners have great determination and you've not lost your senses of humour; most impressive! Keep up the good (non) work! grins, A
              Masters 2000 miles

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

nonrunners anonymous - current standings (as of COR Sunday 11/16) erika - 14 twocat - 14 biketim - 15 tetsujin - 22 lamerunner - divechief - DNF hopeful - DNF enke - DNF ps to taper'n tim - much as I hate to say it, you're doing greta so far but today is number 16 (sixteen) so hopin' it treats you better than the running one.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tramps

Aamos--neat! I'll be sure to tune into residual speedy-Amy vibes leftover from last year. (I looked up results and saw your haul of hardware!) Smile Erika--Thanksgiving weekend I'm doing the North Central Trail Marathon in Maryland, a.k.a. my "redemption race"! Big grin It's a rail trail, so not a rugged trail. As Amy says, the hills don't look too bad (although I understand the last 2 miles are uphill Cry ) and the softer surface may be a little slower but healthier for me. I look forward to it. I, too, am impressed by the humor and positive attitude of all you non-runners. I feel a little guilty laughing at the ongoing "competitive non-running" gag. I hope that contest is over soon and you're all losers (e.g. get back healthy and running!). ETA: If you haven't used gmap-pedometer.com lately, check it out. It now has an "automatic route" feature that automatically follows the road (or even marked trail) between two points, making marking out a route incredibly simple. Very cool.

Be safe. Be kind.

wildchild

Carolyn

WOW...Tramps and Byll-You guys sure have low heartrates...I get mine up that high tying my shoes...
                    Me too... my heart rate is higher than that on walking breaks up the hills around here! Mary, nice picture! You look slim and young and cold! You guys (Janet, Nono, Holly...) are starting your Christmas shopping and decorating way too early!!! I'm with Erika -I usually wait till mid-December. Don't put off till tomorrow what you can put off till the day after tomorrow. Clowning around Nono, good luck finishing your moving! Holly, I can't believe your DH said YOU had to finish unpacking or HE would throw stuff away. Angry When we moved into our house (15 years ago) we had intended to move all the stuff we wanted to keep, then have a big yard sale at the old house to get rid of all the junk. But we got an offer on our house the first day it was listed, so we had to move in a hurry, and ended up bringing all the junk along. Probably still have some of it, too... Dead Erika, I've been doing weights more regularly since DD has re-started her C25K program. She likes to go to the rec center for that, because all we have outside are major hills, so I take her there and do weights while she runs. It does feel good to get that slightly sore feeling after a good workout! TomS, glad you weren't hurt in your fall! I've been going slow on the icy spots too - it's that time of year. I brought my running stuff to work and will get out this afternoon - unseasonably warm today, supposed to be in the 60's!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Yep - it was 3 weeks alright! Evil grin (posed on the November 3 daily thread) Thanks Tim- here I thought you were going to say I look so slim- no need to diet!! Wink hehehehe The mojo is coming back. I've got a few goals to work toward now, plus my legs are starting to feel a little more normal too.
                      I did say you looked slim- no need to diet!!...go back and look...ya losing your eye sight in your young old age Big grin Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

TammyinGP

TimBo and Tethoney - I'm more than happy to postpone my birthday this year so you can continue on with your non-run competition. I'd hate for my birthday to be the day that Tet loses by joining me on a virtual birthday run. Monday is typically a rest day for me, so I will do just that. Although I'll do stretching/foamrolling/abs/yoga this evening while watching Monday Night Football.

Tammy

Mariposai

You are one gorgeous girl hopeful. Congrats on your trail race. still in Seattle with meetings all day and into the evening. I am so glad it is a Xt day. Light yoga this morning to clear up the brain a bit. The highlight of my visit to Seattle (besides the partying) has been visiting with Enkephelin for a few hours yesterday afternoon. What a sweet lady. I love that girl.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mary - Nice picture! Looks brrrrr cold - and reminds me of what I have ahead of me soon here on the North Coast. Nono - I can completely sympathize on the cleaning out. When my grandpa died about 5 years ago, I "volunteered" to go down and clean out the house. He and my grandma had lived there since 1964. Undecided It took me a week with the help of a crew of young men and a huge dumpster. They never threw anything away! Broken garden tools, broken down mowers, jars and jars of canned . . . well, canned something. Dead Although, it wasn't a total bust. I came away with some pretty good treasures that nobody else in the family wanted (stupid people), except me and my brother. They were considered "valueless," i.e. - where's the cash? I haven't gone back over the threads from the weekend, but I hope everyone is doing well. The non-runners seems to be doing quite well with their programs. I'm very tired from a fast weekend of conference and flying. I highly recommend that if you ever get to Riverside, CA, you go visit the Mission Inn (which may be the only thing worth seeing in Riverside). An amazing place! I actually got lost in it on Saturday, but came across a worker who led me back to the lobby area. Roll eyes Just strength training today. Something's wrong with my left hip, a very specific spot on the outside. Is there a bursa sac in there? It flared up Saturday afternoon and I think irritated by all the sitting over the weekend (conference, flying). It has to clear up and - and soon - or I'm going to be screwed out of my run in December.

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy Monday, all. I've had life intrude on my running recently, coincidentally involving moving. the past two weekends I've been part of the crew helping my mom move out of the house she's lived in for 56 years (Rochester, NY) and help her unload in her new spot near my sister (Westfield, MA) . She had been packing for a couple of months prior and 4 of us spent a 3 day weekend packing for the movers and then packing the rest in several vehicles. I had to call in DS as reinforcements to get some of the stuff moved to MA. this Sunday, DW and I went to the new house and helped open some of the myriad boxes and do a few repairs. Needless to say, even though I took running stuff with me to Rochester, it never got touched. And yesterday, I made the decision that an extra hour of sleep before a 4 hour round trip and a bunch of trips up and down stairs would be more useful. It was. So, I finally made it out for a run this morning. Actually better weather than yesterday (36 vs Sunday's ridiculous 60), but less time to add any distance. 3.2 in 28:19. The first half felt nice, but the last half dragged. I guess I don't have a huge fitness base, as what I have, seems to go away very quickly. Sad Here's hoping I can get back on schedule a little bit more. I make a lousy non-runner, even though I have a lot less to give up than the pros around here. Just that extra couple of days off made me cranky. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, the fact that you have some of your presents bought, wrapped and mailed does not surprise me in the least.
                                Oh, you can thank my DH for that – he is SUCH a get-it-out-of-the-way-early person, and by Halloween he’s already pushing me to get the Christmas shopping done. He used to pester me about getting the Christmas cards out before Thanksgiving, until I finally told him he was welcome to send them out himself if I’m taking too long (which he does, some years). I like to handle the Christmas shopping, though. But, if left to my own devices, I would probably wait until after Thanksgiving, although I admit it’s always a relief to get the far-flung relatives gifted and mailed early. TomS - ouch! I hope there are no residual effects from your fall. Kevin - stairs and moving count as x-training.... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."