Masters Running

Thursday December 8 Daily Show (Read 463 times)

Tramps

25 degrees cooler today than yesterday.  Also wet run today.  It wasn’t raining but I had no other choice than to run through about 3-4 inches of flood waters at four different spots.  Deep enough that I felt the water splashing up hitting my butt as I ran through it.  Soggy shoes, to say the least.  Hot shower felt great.  8 miles (8:09).

Be safe. Be kind.

Slo

A nice 7 miler for me this am. Pushed the pace a bit on the middle miles.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning....

Nice run Tramps....I think you are getting the hang of it  Smile

Went out for a late night run last night, and after 3 miles or so my right calve was feeling a little wonky....no injury, just tight. Walked a little distance back home, but wanted more of a workout. Put my cycling shorts on and jumped on my bike trainer, and rode that boring thing for 1.5 hours watching the Fugitive ....love that show. Pushed a hard gear to get my HR up, then stood up to peddle in my hardest gear during the commercials .....good workout. Talk about sweeting, but that actually felt good. Yikes.....up 7 freaking pounds, so back to healthy eating and running more. Really no biggie, and I'm usually always up around 5 pounds getting ready for a marathon, and the weight comes off really easy for me, being sensible about it. Kind of a lot of beer / wine too lately, so that pretty much stops now too.... except for an occasion. 

I'm trying to talk myself out of my 50K trail race in 10 days, but not having much success  Blush.  When I get something in my head...well, it's just stays there till I complete what I set out to do, or already planned. My stubbornness pushes me through a lot of things...especially long races when I'm hurting, or don't feel so good. It's an amazing thing how much the Tecumseh race hurt my back / sciatica, but I can't wait to race a ultra and do it all over again. But also look forward to getting back to normal, everyday running, for fun.

Honestly....all these races are getting in the way of my running. Non runners don't get that - runners pretty much do.

Soooo Tramps - tough or foolhardy ?..............probably Smile

TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

C-R

Some good runs this morning.

7 and a bit for me. Legs are getting better. Those two consecutive days of doubles may not have been such a brilliant idea.

I get ya Tim. Hard to say no to a good race. I scroll through the race boards and eventually talk myself into a nice long training run somewhere that I enjoy. That seems to keep me from over racing. Plus I'm cheap and hate paying all those entry fees. Big grin

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Hi Ya'll ..... just a quick fly by ..... I meant to update you on Brinkley the other day.   He is doing great and we go for 1/4 mile walks once a day and I can increase that gradually.   On those short walks he actually walks on that leg about 25% of the time which is wonderful!!!   He looks happier in this picture too.

And tonight the first puppy gets picked up, with the rest all going tomorrow and Saturday.   Bittersweet indeed...... Here's Belvedere.

It looks like I will have time for a run tomorrow morning!!   Oh - and yes, I am anemic and have to get it in geer with iron pills.   blah!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Old and young - Brinkster and Belvedere - great pics!

Heavy lifting and an hour of stepperfication this morning.  Still no running.  I guess my mileage will be way down this month.

If I can just avoid all those X-mas goodies...

Take care all.

Cute puppies! It must be so hard to say good bye to them.

Out for 7 miles this morning in the much cooler weather and wind from a different direction.  8:15 pace felt great.  My Adidas Bostons are approaching 700 miles and still going strong. 

Please send up a quick prayer for me today or tomorrow.  Annual mammogram shows a change from last year so I am going back tomorrow morning for more tests. 

Once a runner . . .

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

jdmom, you are in my prayers today. Please know that my sister, my mom, and I have all been through this. And each of us went back and the changes were benign. Be well.

Great doggie photos, Hopeful Mary!  (tomwhite might have a better recommendation but, try taking ferrous sulfate. I got the generic brand when my ferritin level got to 0.5. Started taking the ferrous sulfate (per label instructions) and my next blood test proved that it worked)

Rest day for me according to my excellent training schedule. I will walk a little and go to the rec. center for Cybex and Stretching and planks and what not.

Not running related:

Have you ever noticed that folks are more likely to write to complain about service than to appreciate it?  Not me. Not today. I want to tell you that I was charged twice for the same pair of slacks that I purchased at Macy's. I blame myself for not checking the receipt while in the store. I got all the way home and even wrapped the single pair of slacks I had purchased for my husband for Christmas. And THEN I looked at the receipt.

Instead of panicking and driving all the way back to Newport News. I looked up the Macy's phone number on-line. And I telephoned the store. The operator directed my call to "service" and I was connected with a friendly Indian-accented voice. I explained to "Stephanie" what had happened. She told me that she would not be able to correct the situation until tomorrow unless I wanted to come back to the store today. It was already just past five o'clock. I told her I lived in WIlliamsburg, and before I could say anything else, she said, "Oh, you don't want to drive all the way back here. I will pull up your transaction tomorrow and I will credit your Visa account with the proper amount. I will give you a courtesy call tomorrow to let you know I have done this and the exact amount."

At 0930 this morning my home phone rang. It was Stephanie telling me that my account had been credited. I thanked her and told her that I should have checked the receipt while I was in the store. To which she replied, "This was completely our fault and none of your own."

That is good customer service.   

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

coastwalker

Tim, sometimes you don't know if a decision was a good one or not until after the deed is done. So good luck, whichever way you go.

Nice pooch photos, Mary. I imagine tomorrow and Saturday will be bittersweet days.

Good luck, jdmom - I hope the additional tests all come up negative.

Buehrie, you are absolutely right in that we generally are much quicker to complain than compliment. Good for you for taking the positive approach, and good for Macy's and Stephanie for providing such good customer service.

The wind was howling and the rain was intense at 4 this morning, so I stayed in. I don't mind the rain so much, but branches are known to go flying in the wind around here, and I don't like to be out in the dark when that's happening. Maybe I need a workout helmet...

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Some day when I'm retired, I am going to get to putter around AND get in my run.

Meg - It's just as nice as you are imagining it will be!  Sending hugs and happy vibes for the follow-up tests.

Mary - thanks for the update on the Brinkster!  I don't know if I could let those puppies go...

Tough run Tramps - you da Man!

A "wintery mix" of snow, sleet and rain here in CNY but plan to go test out the foot this afternoon.

Enjoy the gift.

Skip

Mariposai

Doggie pictures! hurray!

((((jdmom)))) I hope that all is well with the mammogram.

RCG, I love you girl! That is the attitude to have!

Timbo, I wish I had your problem about too much racing getting in my way of running. I have no racing in my horizon until Boston. I wish I could, but in order for me to even run a 5k I have to drive 5 hours to Seattle to do it, which is impossible to do during the winter months. Ohh well...c'est la vie! 

Another great running day for me. 7 miles of various hill reps on the TM. I am really, really enjoying having the free gym open in the mornings on Tuesdays and Thursdays so I can run my key workouts there. I know TM runs are not the same as running outside, but it sure is easier for my asthma and a lot safer during the cold winter months. 

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

dg.

'morning everybody!

Tramps you sure earned that hot shower.

Mary thanks for the Brinkley update.   I'm so happy to hear he's doing well.   Hope you feel better soon.      What great pictures. 

(((Meg)))   I hope everything is ok!!   Actually I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow morning for a related issue, and will admit I'm a little nervous about it.

Thanks Nancy for asking about me yesterday (I miss Sue too!) ... and thanks for assorted shout-outs & comments...   at least some of them I've seen!  And then I mean to come back & say something but for some reason I'm having a lot of trouble posting. 

6 somewhat hilly miles this morning, in a New Shirt from Holly!  : ).    Thanks Holly!  It's just perfect.   Really comfortable and warm.    I am still sort of messed up by this toe bone bruise thing, I'm not sure what to do to make it get better,.   It definitely messes up my stride, & I have assorted owies as a result.  Right now it's my upper inner left thigh.  But I can run and I know too well what it's like when I can't.  (so sorry PBJ!)    So yippee.     Don't think I can ski though.   Well, I can't ski, yet.  But I was supposed to go this weekend to an instructional weekend thing,  tried on my boots last night & just getting them on & off really hurt my toe.   Isn't that dumb??   Oh well.  There's another one in January.

Better get back to work.      Hugs wherever they're needed or wanted.

King of PhotoShop

jdmom, good luck to you.

Good news Barb.  That's the attitude.  No Alec Baldwin out of you.

I have a wicked cold.  I ran yesterday despite it, but I think maybe rest is better, since I'm not training for anything and just had a hard race.  No harm in doing nothing.

Spareribs

#artbydmcbride

Good luck jdmom3, I've been through it and it turned out just fine.

Tramps, sorry about your soggy butt!

5 miles with the running club....in costume.

Runners run

Prayers and Hugs for JDMom and DG.

Tramps - At least your butt is clean.

Mary - Cute pics!  Nice kennels.  I don't think I've ever seen anything but the whelping bed/pole barn.

Posie - My friend, Kate, and I are going to try and get into Chuckanut.  Registration opens Jan 7 and it fills FAST.  Race is March 17.  Wanna come?  We can crawl up Chin Scrapper together!

Buehrie - Good job on not getting mad re the mistake.  I think everyone should have to work in some sort of customer service job at a point in their lives.  It makes (hopefully) makes you a better customer.

No workout for me this a.m.  Laziness, pure and simple.  Will do my best to get up tomorrow a.m., but am having a friend over for dinner tonight.  Would it be rude to kick her out by 8:30 so I can go to bed?? Big grin

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance