Masters Running

2s'Day - August 30th Runs and such ..... (Read 442 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning!

Good to hear that DrJ. is doing a bit better CNY.

BTY - I hope Leo found his way home.   Our cats will sometimes stay away for a few nights if a big storm goes through, but so far have always come back  - I am betting that Leo will too.

I was out for 4 with Brinkley and 2 with B'Nellie this morning.   Pushed it with Brinkley and the final two were a little slower for cool down.    I have an audit starting after lunch, so if you don't hear from me for a while .... well ......it's been fun!    Sad

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Tramps

Good morning.  Almost out of time to get those August miles in!

Mary--I should have waited another 2 minutes. Smile

Byll—you know we were just kidding ya yesterday, right?  Those peppy workouts will do wonders, I bet.  Now that I’ve got a good base of miles, the next two months for me are going to be introducing just such workouts.  I don’t know if I’ll ever achieve critical velocity, though. Joking  I’d be happy with a little perpetual motion.

We’re hopeful this could be the day power returns.  We’ll see.

Most days, I hook up my Garmin in the cradle and it loads here no problem.  Other days, like today, I try dozens of times and it just won’t cooperate for no apparent reason.  It turns itself on, isn’t recognized by the software here, won’t communicate with the software here, etc, etc.  Grrrrr.  You’ll just have to take my word for it for now.  15 miles @ 8:48.

Be safe. Be kind.

Byll—you know we were just kidding ya yesterday, right?  Those peppy workouts will do wonders, I bet.  Now that I’ve got a good base of miles, the next two months for me are going to be introducing just such workouts.  I don’t know if I’ll ever achieve critical velocity, though. Joking  I’d be happy with a little perpetual motion.

Tramps, you may have been kidding but not everyone was.  Many runners like to just run and not think about it so much.  And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that!  I have a running partner down here that trains that way and I'm doing really well when I can keep up with her.  Tinman has a PhD in Physiology (IIRC) so he really is a scientist at heart.  He analyzes running more than all of us combined.  Different strokes so to speak ...

After 2 days of feeling tired, today was much better!  Recovery runs really work amazingly well.  I only ran 6 miles this morning and kept it pretty well under control.  But the legs wanted to go so I had a couple of near MP miles in there without really intending to.  The Avg HR was only 130 so the tired legs are gone.  Good thing too, because tomorrow I'm going to try to do one of those Tinman CV workouts (speed work for the rest of us).

Pray for me!

Speaking of which, praying for Dr. J and CNY.  I must admit that having a stroke really scares me.  If I ever have a bad one just let me go to my Maker.

Last Sunday I sang a solo "People Need The Lord" by Steve Green at all 3 services.  I don't think there's a better song that suits my style and abilities - such as they are.  It went beautifully.  The bad news is the bar has been set high and my lessons are going to be h--l from now on as a result.  Joking

Bill

ETA: Tramps, my Garmin upload does that from time to time too.  If I reboot my laptop everything generally clears up.  I suspect it is a USB driver glitch - either Garmin or RA - not sure which.

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

...well Burger//........ at least they have a Bar........

===========

.......28min poolrun.........hiking tomorrow, STREETRUN Thurs........

sigh

Life is Good.......

....................good running guys......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Slo

Another 7+ miles added to the logs. Started to add in some light speed work. Just 4 x 800's this week. Next I'll add 2 more sets.

Dave59

3.3 easy miles.  Typical post race "I made my goal and I don't care anymore letdown" happening. 

Speaking of making my goal.  I emailed the people who did the timing at the Crim about my lack of a finish being recorded.  They replied and said my chip didn't record, but they did see me on a video, so they are going to add me to the results.  That's nice of them, except they are assigning me a time that is 50 seconds slower than actual time. Not that it matters, but it sort of does. Roll eyes

Quote from berger on 8/30/2011 at 9:22 AM:

Many runners like to just run and not think about it so much.  And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that!

I go through phases of thinking vs. not thinking, but usually I'm in the not thinking category.  (In more ways than just running.)  Right now it doesn't matter if you beat me by 5, 10, or 15 minutes at the Harbor Springs Half. I tried to convince myself to secretly train really hard and surprise you, but I couldn't pull it off.  Big grin  So my goal is to see if I can pull off one last 2011 PR, which would mean breaking 1:55 and change.  Gonna be real close.

My Garmin quit talking to my computer too - refuses to recognize it is connected - so  I haven't used it in quite a while but pretty much all of my routes have been measured many times.

I ran a little over six this morning at an 8:15 pace.  Not really any soreness but lots of residual fatigue.  I volunteered to pick up and deliver a cord of firewood to a friend's house this afternoon.  Hoping I can lift my arms tomorrow. Smile

Absolutely IRC here in Central NY.  Hope everybody enjoys their day!  

Skip

Right now it doesn't matter if you beat me by 5, 10, or 15 minutes at the Harbor Springs Half. I tried to convince myself to secretly train really hard and surprise you, but I couldn't pull it off.  Big grin  So my goal is to see if I can pull off one last 2011 PR, which would mean breaking 1:55 and change.  Gonna be real close.

Dave59, your race times for shorter events are right in line with mine.  I seem to recall you ran a 10K PR recently that was quite impressive.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if you're right there with me in the HM.  Take a look at any of the race predictors and you'll see what I mean.  It may be true that you don't train as hard as I do, but I'm stoopid like that.  Approve  There is no doubt you have the potential to be right there if you trained for it.  By the way, you can run a 1:55 easily.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

wildchild

Carolyn

I'm in the camp of "just run and don't think about it so much."  I have 5 races coming up in September, and I'm doing no special training.  Four are trail races, and one is a hilly, high altitude road 10k, so none would be particularly suited to running fast anyway. I'm hoping a steady summer of mountainous trail running will prepare me.

4 trail miles after work last night, on the trail I ran on with Erika - 2 miles up to Frazer meadow, then two miles back down. A pleasant 60°. My legs felt a bit tired after my long run on Sunday, but loosened up after a mile or so.

Tomwhite - I loved your comment about the bar at Burger's church! Big grin   Byll, congrats on the solos!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning....

I suppose I am in the camp of not thinking that much on my runs, with so many different speeds / paces / calculations and such...maybe my ADD thing Smile But I think anyone (Byll) who wants to have workouts like the ones mentioned yesterday, can only get faster I am sure.

Good example I guess was last nights run. I have only ran one 1/2 marathon in my life (seems strange) and I ran that one only being a cyclist at the time - ended up with a 1:43, but I think the course was a little short. But we have 1/2M at the end of October, so I'm trying to figure out what my 1/2M pace is and better that time. Last night I ran 11 miles - 1:32 - 8:05 pace, with 6 miles varying around 7:15 to 7:30. I never looked at my Garmin till I got home, and thats where I saw what my paces were...pretty much ran by feel, how I think I could run 13.1 miles if needed (the faster paces that is) Now I can modify that, as time goes on and gets closer to my race.

I don't have to think too much running like that, and I think it was very beneficial - and fun. I have been doing something that is fun on my faster runs, and last night I did this quite a few times. That is pick a runner that is quite a distance away and gradually pick the pace up till I catch them, then once I catch them I have to keep going strong, as to not look silly. I have runners pass me sometimes, but as long as I keep my steady pace, they usually fall off their pace and go hide in the bushes or something so they don't know I caught back up with them - LOL

Hope everyone has a great day

Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Tramps and Skip .....When I was having similar problems with my Garmin, I purchased a new USB cord for it and it has worked like a gem ever since.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

lamerunner

Good morning. I hope Leo is back safe and sound. I am glad to hear of Dr. J's progress and hope it continues.

Beautiful morning here. Sunny and mid-50s when I ran. I did aabout a  9 miler, with 8 of them at near -tempo, maybe light tempo/MP. I am calling it Sproinky Cool After Rain Event pace, SCARE for short.  Felt pretty good.  Intervals won't fit into my schedule today.

Nice runs for Slo and Skip-- you are recovering very well from the 50k.

Happy Tuesday everyone!

King of PhotoShop

My recovery from a hard, or long workout now takes two days instead of one at my age, but I don't mind, because after my Sunday big workout, I run hard again on Wednesday and I expect to be fresh tomorrow.  Today was 5.5 slow.  Tomorrow I'll do 6 or 7 x 800 meters, or 5 x 1200 meters. I want to talk with my RP in the morning and see what she feels like.  I'm also racing on Saturday so it isn't necessary to press.   Spareribs

Hope Leo is home!

I can't get my Garmin to connect to RA or GarminConnect, although I've only tried through Firefox, so need to try another browser.

Had a total meltdown on the phone last nigh with my friend, Karen. Roll eyes Between the legal crap, my foot (which I'm really upset about), this latest illness, my home computer going on the fritz, issues around the house that I desperately need to take care of, uncertainty at work, it just feels like everything is piling up again.  Anyway, she reinforced in me the need to exercise, no matter how little or how much, so got my raggedy butt outta bed for 30 min core/strength, followed by 30 min of stationary biking.  It helped, and things are looking a little brighter this a.m.  I tell ya, I would be lost right now without that lady in my life. 

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Leslie - sounds like your friend got you motivated.  Good for both of you.

Still no power at the PBJ residence.  Day 1 was an adventure.  Day 2 was tolerated.  Day 3 and the kids are freaking out.  They've never gone this long without being "connected."

A little lifting at the gym, followed by a 10 miler while watching Kill the Irishman.  The movie came out last year - but I don't remember hearing about it at all.  They really got the 70's look right.  I even saw a rambler (my first car), and a 78 T-Bird (my fourth car) in it.  Violent, but interesting.