Masters Running

Wednesday 11/8/23 Post-Election Runs (Read 39 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

So, we have a short break in the political commercials - enjoy it while you can!

Now the pharmaceutical commercials will take point for a while.  That darn Jardiance jingle is an ear worm that is hard to dislodge, and I am really tired of watching that happy happy woman dance.  (sigh)

3 miles for me today in a windy 47 degrees.  Regardless of the time change, it is still dark for my runs before work.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

LOL, it is the Ozempic tune that sticks with me. I find myself singing it occasionally. "oh oh OH Ozempic, you know..."

Busy day with a team building event tonight - ping pong at a bar.

Did some jogs/sprints up and down my hallway yesterday and the knee feels totally fine now. So hopefully tomorrow I'll get out for a 3 miler.

Dave, I have yet to get a sleep score higher than 84.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

LOL, it is the Ozempic tune that sticks with me. I find myself singing it occasionally. "oh oh OH Ozempic, you know..."

Oh great, thanks for THAT one now....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mrrun

Don’t your devices have a mute button for ads?

4 miles walking with friends in cold, windy conditions.  Off to food pantry stint after lunch.

have a Greta day!
          marj

Marathon Maniac #957

Don’t your devices have a mute button for ads?

These are my TVs, and I don't think they are new enough for that.  Or maybe I just don't know how to figure it out.  I'm just trying to watch/listen to the morning news as I get ready for work, and I am inundated with pharmaceutical ads....so many happy happy people, just don't listen to the listing of the dangerous side effects....

dnaff

Oh, the Jardiance ad!  We call her the happy diabetic.  I mute more often than I listen these days.

Nothing going on here.  Just waiting for medical appointments call backs.  But I had to pop in and wish Jay a wonderful recovery.  It was so good to see him posting right away after the surgery.  Happy Healing, Jay!

Dave59

Dave, I have yet to get a sleep score higher than 84.

Browsing through the data for the past year I saw I have hit 92 a couple times. Also some 87s and 88s.

Enke - I was born in Buffalo. When I was 6 my family moved north and I grew up a few miles from Niagara Falls. I still enjoy visiting the Falls. I like walking across the bridge to Canada. I have some cousins and a brother still in the area. I have been trying to figure out when I can go up for a visit and take in a Sabres hockey game while I'm there.

Today was a kettlebell workout.

Since Enke's trip to Buffalo has me reminiscing about my long gone youth, here is a picture from my senior yearbook. I was voted most likely to succeed along with a girl named Karen. The picture is too old and blurry, but we are next to a busted barrel and the river behind us is the rapids leading to the Falls. (I don't know if the vote was real or if everyone got together to prank me. I sure wasn't a standout out student or athlete.)

https://scontent.fric1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.18169-9/16003063_10211008869473223_8303354191417499476_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=7f8c78&_nc_ohc=9OZltv5xRYoAX8MgHJW&_nc_ht=scontent.fric1-1.fna&oh=00_AfCsgnWjAYjw-WS3KzgEk-MD2MkzXLw84vIDYiqbfV0gSw&oe=657302C8

Thanks, Holly.  Ozempic is the one that gets me, too.  Ugh.  And Liberty Mutual.

5.3 miles over on a hillier part of the path starting from a different spot.  My legs are still dead from Half Monkey.  I also overdressed and shed my long sleeved (light) shirt with a mile and a half to go.  62 and sunny.  It will be cooler in SF.

Disastrous Vanderbilt basketball game last night which was supposed to be a blowout in our favor and we lost.  Now Twitter (or X) wants to fire the coach, the season is ruined etc.  It was still good to be back in the gym and see all the new players.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

TammyinGP

We either mute or change the channel when the Jardiance commercial comes on. absolutely loathe that jingle and dancing. I wish pharmaceuticals weren't even allowed to advertise. No wonder Rx's are bankrupting people and people are on more meds now than ever before. Advertising is powerful and with the advertising comes higher prices.

My mom is likely looking at surgery for her broken humerus. She's not a happy camper, but said the recovery time is about the same whether she has surgery or lets the bone heal on its own and honestly at age 74, her bones won't heal as fast, and maybe not as complete, as a younger person anyways, so surgery is probably the smartest route to go. 

Will get in a run this afternoon. Haven't run yet this week but it's a nice fall day and better take advantage of these days before we see nothing but cold and rain for weeks on end. And I signed up for a 9 mile road run this Saturday.

Tammy

anneb

Both the jardiance and ozempic tunes get me  Plus, don't get me started on people that are taking ozempic to lose weight. I have a SIL who has done that...

You know, I never pay much attention to the rare side effects language, although now when I see Cosentyx ads, I hear the one at the end about possibly leading to new/worsening Crohns. Because that was me in spring 2022, although its literally a 2-3% chance. I always used to think that I was in the majority who would never experience things like that... but unfortunately, I am not. BUT it's also hard having the condition (in my case psoriasis) that you are trying to treat. You have to choose between 2 things and decide which is less horrible...

I digress. I got out for a jog/walk lap around the neighborhood and then did a live ride on the bike. I am using my lunch hour (early) to get a haircut!

Anne

Tammy- I'm sorry about the surgery, but hopefully she'll bounce back fast.  My husband is almost 79 and is about to have ankle tendon surgery.  He put together the knee scooter that arrived from Amazon!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

TammyinGP

Tammy- I'm sorry about the surgery, but hopefully she'll bounce back fast.  My husband is almost 79 and is about to have ankle tendon surgery.  He put together the knee scooter that arrived from Amazon!

I told her if she didn't want to make a pie and rolls for Thanksgiving, she could have just told me that   Hopefully your husband's surgery will be a quick recovery too. My mom is pretty active and in good shape, so even though this is her arm, I think that'll all help in her recovery.   She broke her ankle when she mis-stepped on the garage steps a few years ago and I was surprised how quickly she recovered and was back out to walking.

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Jay - hang in there. How did the first night's sleep score go?

I guess I blank out on those pharmy ads but it sure doesn't make sense having Peyton Manning, whose commercials I otherwise like, promoting the Olympics he has nothing to do with. Nothing's as bad as cars--4-kids on the radio, though, that I turn off like a frenetic madman before I have to hear too much, . . . and usually forget to turn it back on to listen to whatever i was listening too that c4k ruined

At last, at last, a bright sunshiny fall day highlighting all the bright yellow oak leaves along the streets, in yards and playgrounds and the parks so much took a 2-mile EB down to the hillside one overlooking the lake for a two mile loop of as many of the twisting trails as possible as the sun appeared over the Cascades across the lake like a protectionist sliding a filter out of the way to a brilliancy that grew and grew almost blinding these poor dim eyes of mine. No wonder Seattle is so beautiful   . . . at least for one day of the year.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

The Hub and I joke about how the advertised meds will heal/help "this", but they may kill you! 

Tammy - Hope your mom flies through surgery with no issues.

50 min of core/ST this a.m.

Had sort of some massage at PT yesterday, lots stretching. It wasn't a long session, but things felt looser on the left by the time we were done.  I sort of tripped in my office the other day and managed to irritate the sits bone area on the right, so now I have to figure out how to manage that while still doing my stretching exercises.    Some days I feel like the universe is conspiring against me.

Our associate attorney talk to me this morning about probates, trust administrations, and estate planning.  He's trying to figure where he wants to land in the legal world.  He's pretty calm, so I think he'd be a good fit, whereas the partner who has been working on taking over this area from the slowly outgoing partner is like a little Tasmanian devil and not exactly the best fit, and honestly, I don't think his heart would be broken if someone else decided they wanted to do it . . . and neither would mine.

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Holly - so, if a find a Delta credit card application on the internet that gives 70,000 miles for spending $2,000, does that mean I could go the 10,000 mile round trip to Japan for seven times for only $2,000...

Whoa, Tet! The "miles" that are in your frequent flyer account indicate how many miles you've "earned" but have no relationship to what they will get you as far as booking a trip. For example, I used enough "miles" (mostly from the credit card bonus) to have flown twice around the earth just to get a one-way ticket to Phoenix! In the olden days, you earned miles based on the actual miles that you flew: fly 2400 miles, get 2400 miles in your account (plus a bonus if you flew business class, etc.). Now I think that Delta awards you based on the price you pay for your tickets, and in fact they now just call them "points" since they're no longer tied to distances and there are so many other ways to earn them. For example, I think I earn a point for every dollar that I spend using their Amex card. Cashing them in has also gotten harder since they limit the number of awards seats on a plane and the points cost varies depending on the popularity of the flight: the best deals are going to be at the worst times (early mornings, red-eyes, etc.). Our DS takes those deals, but we're too old for it now.

Fun fact: The U.S. GDP for this year will be around 26 trillion dollars, and it's estimated that 1% of that is charged on Delta Skymiles Amex cards! In case you're wondering, that's 260 billion dollars!

Everything we watch on most network and cable channels we record on DVR and then fast-forward through ads. Works for us. Otherwise the annoying ads on the nightly news alone would drive me nuts!

I turned this morning's indoor ride into a strenuous workout and got my HR up near its max a few times. Around 12.7 miles with about 900ft of elevation gain along the way. Also nice to get a scenic tour on some gravel roads in Lapland while I was at it.  Note the hilly elevation profile at the top.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"