Masters Running

Saturday June 4 Hot and Steamy Runs (Read 454 times)

Dave59

Back home from the race.  Now is the time I'm glad I can just sit back and cheer on the marathoners and 50k runners.  It was warm and humid out there today, and the sun was shining bright, but I was going to give it all I had.  I ran a 21:58 back in 2004 and I was determined to break that sometime this year.

Splits:

6:35 - No wonder it seemed like I was working harder than I planned.  I thought it was the sun and humidity. 

6:56 - This was more my target pace

7:07 - Just hanging on for dear life

0:46 - Crossed the finish line standing up.

(21:24)

The awards looked nice, but I was 4th of 20 something runners in my age group and a full minute out of 3rd.

I almost always try as hard as I can at a race, but when I target a race as I did today, I do a few things different:

- Rest the day before so I'm really ready to go.

- Warm-up (normally I sit around and use the first mile as my warm-up)

- Wear lighter shoes (I have a pair of lightweight trainers I bought a month ago thinking ahead to this race.)

- Wear my lucky socks (I have trouble finding socks I like and I have one pair I love more than anything, so I save them just for key events.)

After the race, I called my daughter up and she dropped out my granddaughter for the tot trot.  She was really excited to get her own shirt & number, but the "race" was an obstacle course and she wasn't interested.  We went to the snow cone tent instead. Good choice. 

That's about it.  Time to cheer for the long distance runners, and for a couple people I know doing a half ironman out in Hawaii.

Let me second breger1's good Luck to Holly, Erika, and Mariposai!

Congratulations to Dave59 on the PR.  As to not getting a trophy I hear you man!  Even at my best I was never quite fast enough to pull one in on more than a very, very occasional basis.  BTW, I just noticed your signature line!  Very funny!  However, you better assemble the ingredients before the buttermilk goes bad!  Joking

Hemerocallus hey do not knock walking without pain!  Sometimes that is a lot!

Mike E. at the Beer Olympics do they have a stout or porter?  Can I get an entry to this, er, contest?

I made it about a half mile today before my ankle made clear going any further and it would demand several extra weeks to recover.  So I walked back to the car, drove home, and did an hour on the elliptical.  It is really getting old.  I guess so am I which I guess makes it a fair fight!  Still, I think I am looking at days rather than weeks until I can run again.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

...YAY dave//................... SMOKIN'//////////

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

wildchild

Carolyn

Congrats on the PR, Dave!  Hard to believe that wasn't good enough for an AG placement. 

Beautiful day here, and our aspen trees are turning green!  Most of them have leaves about the size of my thumbnail, and they're this vivid yellow-green color - really lovely, especially after such a long winter.

I only had time for a 3-miler last night after work, so I made it a tempo-ish run.  The miles were 9:52, 9:31, and 8:55.  I ran on a relatively flat trail along Clear Creek in Golden - only about 100 ft gain up to the turn around at 1.5 miles, then downhill returning.  

Heading out for a longer trail run this afternoon.

Good luck racers!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Dave59

Congratulations to Dave59 on the PR.  As to not getting a trophy I hear you man!  Even at my best I was never quite fast enough to pull one in on more than a very, very occasional basis.  BTW, I just noticed your signature line!  Very funny!  However, you better assemble the ingredients before the buttermilk goes bad!  Joking

I've placed in a few things this year with a lot slower times, but they have been generic awards ("age group award winner").  At this race the awards have the correct race name, date, age group, and place.  I don't really care.  I'd much rather PR and come in far down than win an award with a less than best effort.

And I did make the bread.  I liked it a lot, but I used a bigger pan than the recipe suggested.  I just assumed it was the right size.  I took the break out earlier than the time on the recipe but it was still a little over done.  (That's when I thought I should check the pan size.)

Also, I didn't get enough honey in the mix.  I put in 1TB but a lot of it stuck in the measuring spoon, so the second tablespoon was probably less than half of one. 

Since I have all the stuff, I am going to bake it again. 

Everyone liked it though so I guess I did ok following the directions.

Hemerocallus hey do not knock walking without pain!  Sometimes that is a lot!

Still, I think I am looking at days rather than weeks until I can run again.

Amen to the first line

Yea!  to the second line.

Congrats, Dave, on a great PR!!  And I agree with your granddaughter - snow cone tent.  Good choice.

Our racers are already out there, but GOOD LUCK!!!  Can't wait to hear how Holly's 50k went.

No workout for me this a.m.  I chose to sleep in instead.  Chico (the cat we procured from the Hispanic family up the street, hence the name, thanks to The Hub) and I finally dragged ourselves outta bed around 8:45.  I don't have to be anywhere until 1:30, so I thought, what the heck!  I have all day and night to work on transcription and get my workout done.

I did go pool running last night, though.  50 min worth, plus 5 min of core specific.  I got there later in the evening, so I had the deep end almost completely to myself the whole time.  I've worked out a couple of exercises that really get my HR going and work the core at the same time.  One of the exercises involves keeping my arms raised out of the water and churning my legs as fast as I can for 1 minute.  So far, my best "cadence" is 76 churns (L/R = 1 churn) in the minute.  I'm trying to get up to 80.  It's sort of a water version of speed work, I guess.

The junior swim team - The Humboldt Water Dogs - were practicing, so I got to watch them, which helped the time pass.  And right when I was getting, out a birthday party group showed up.  Whew!  Great timing on my part.

Unfortunately, the pool has raised its rates as of June 1.  I was thinking about buying a 3-month pass, but I got sticker shock.  I can't remember the cost of the "10 visits" pass, but that may end up being the better deal since I usually only go 2x a week.  If the rates go up anymore, I'm not going to be able to afford the pass and the gas to drive to Arcata 2-3x a week.  So, we shall see . . . .

Okay - Off to do transcription.  One job is on a murder case.  Should be interesting.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

lamerunner

Good afternoon! Nice race Dave. I have not done a 5k in forever. Thinking of Holly and also  the Newport crew; I hope all is well.

I ran an easy 6.5 this morning, legs feeling a little better.  Coolish but nice

Enke, pretty funny about the plankton...

Marathon Maniac #957

43 degrees here now....where are my gloves?

Gloves?   It's a steamy 93 (feels like 97) here...Joking

Hot day for a race, but I survived it.  The temp was 93 when I got in my car after the race, and is still 93 here at home.

And that's just the way I like it.....Wink

Dace – congrats on your new 5K PR!

Heme – very cool that you’re taking on the RD job.  Good luck in Cape Cod with your return to run/walk.  I know I don’t have to tell you, but go gently.

Twocat – hang in there…

Leslie – you, too…

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59, can you send me your email address?  PM it to me if you like.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

New skirt in town

Good luck to Holly, Erika and Mari!!! Dave-- a few years ago I read an article in Runner's World (I know, collective groan) that gave a "recipe" for your fastest 5k ever. It advocated doing your first mile 10% faster than goal pace, and then a steady pace for the middle mile, and then just hold on for dear life for the final mile. Sounds like that's the tactic you used! I used this for my own 5k PR! I'm taking it easy, still rehabbin my plantar fasciitis 7 weeks out of Boston. I can walk normally now and run slowly, but I cannot manage any speed. I ran 12.5 slow miles 2 weeks ago and felt great..but 7.5 miles on Thursday with a few 8:00-minute miles did me in. The soreness returned insidiously later in the day and I've been resting ever since, hoping to manage my Half Marathon tomorrow. I'm registered for the Covered Bridges Half Marathon tomorrow. Online registration for this race closed out in 12 minutes last December, and I wasn't able to get a spot in the last 2 years that I tried. So I'm bound and determined to run (hobble?) this lovely course if I can. I'm lucky to have secured a spot. I'm here in charming Woodstock, at the Woodstock Inn with DH and DS, and we are loving the gorgeous cool, crisp weather. We visited a terrific nature center and a working farm today. Now I'm drinking too much wine for a pre-race day, poolside, watching DS and DH gambol in the pool. But it's probably just the right amount of wine for the day before a slow jaunt through the Vermont countryside tomorrow. --Robin ETA: the line breaks aren't showing with posting from my iPad...sorry

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika PRed!!!!  Wow that woman is fast!  Mariposai didn't PR, but ran the second fastest marathon time ever, and that even with the unaccumstomed heat they dealt with - excellent racing to both!

Robin - good luck tomorrow!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

lamerunner

Wow, that is great! Any details?

Way to go Dave!

Exciting news from Erika and Maraposai! You too Holly with another 50k under your belt. Way to go and in the heat! Details from all are needed.

The tornadoes blew out the hot air and it was quite cool this morning warming to mid-70s with no humidity. Sorry I couldn't share the weather with all you racers. IRC for a 10 miler up at Mt. Tom reservoir with Iron J.

Rock those covered bridges tomorrow Robin.

King of PhotoShop

3:30 for Ek and 4:11 for Nancy.  She asked me to post the times.  Ek has trained very hard and at some pretty brisk paces too.  Nancy had some difficulty with the heat, but still ran a great race.  Proud of them both.    Spareribs

Dove

The Dovenator

Nice racing down in Newport and elsewhere.

I ran a 50k today. we have only been above 70 degrees once since September and wouldn't you know it... 83 degrees today and this race started at 10:00 so we were running in the heat of the day.

3rd in masters for me, 6th overall woman. I haven't placed that high in quite awhile. It helped that i had a teammate to run with for the 1st 23 miles, until she took off during 5 miles of deep sand. My team mate ended up 3rd overall woman and 1st masters. 

"it's just like having fun, but different"