Masters Running

Tues 9/16 runs and Cooler weather...we hope (Read 520 times)

King of PhotoShop

PBJ: I've only been posting here for a rather short time...I have, however, heard many folks refer to a run as a "PBJ special"...maybe you...or someone...could fill me in. DickyG
    DickyG: PBJ used to run an eight mile route near his home at an average pace of 7:30, or a one-hour run. He did so many of these that he added the TM superscript after the designation "PBJ Special". Soon after, many people would post "I did a half PBJ Special" four miles at 7:30, or "I did a PBJ Special but 30 seconds per mile slower" so we would know it was 8 minute pace. I assume if you go out for an 8-miler and you said it was a PBJ Special, people would know you didn't do it at 7:30's if they were familiar with your pace but it was very commonly known. Spareribs
      PBJ is going to Hartford! Wait, I'm not going to Hartford. What, is everyone going except for me and PDR? Seriously, good to hear from you, Joe!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

evanflein

Hey, I'm not going to Hartford either. Not that I wouldn't want to. I'm just not. Doin' other stuff.
          100 pushups, 100 situps, 1 mile on the elliptical. Hey, we all do what we can. Dark Horse
          I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
            I didn't take my own advice and snuck off (while my conscience wasn't playing attention) to the gym for a mid-day run. 1 mile w/u @ 5.6mph 2 miles @ 7.0mph (8:34 pace), foot started to make more noise walk bike 10 min foot doesn't seem much worse...i will know the truth tomorrow.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

6.02 miles - easy start, progressively faster, easy finish - 46:50 - (7:46) - Avg HR 139 Max HR 156 cool & humid. 8:31 - 123 / 135 8:11 - 131 / 138 7:35 - 140 / 144 7:17 - 148 / 151 7:06 - 151 / 156 8:00 - 142 / 155 0:08 - 143 / 143
                I'm not going to Hartford, but I did see him in concert a couple times. John, that is. It's knowin' that your door is always open and your path is free to walk... That makes me tend to leave my sleepin' bag rolled up and stashed behind your couch. It's knowin' I'm not shackled by fogotten words or bonds, or some ink stain that has dried upon some line... That keeps you in the backroads, by the rivers of my memory, and keeps you ever gentle on my mind.
                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Renee the dog

Sorry Tramps -- yeah no night time air for me (and hardly ever daytime). I'm one of those nuts that feels like "Hey, I built a place 2 blocks from the ocean -- I'm going to enjoy the ocean breeze blowing through my bedroom every night." And I did. Smile Till last night when the wind came from the West instead of the East. Next summer, we'll have a trial night overnight earlier in August to see if it has any effect! Got my 4.5 mi in a bit ago -- ran without a watch 'cause I know how long 4.5 is and my Garmin was upstairs and well the babysitter was here! Took me exactly 44 min to run, stretch my piriformi (both of 'em) for 30 sec each, stop at the Original Fudge Kitchen* for a freebie (vanilla tonight), and stop to say hi to the kids and the babysitter at the playground. I'll take it. *I will keep giving these guys plugs as long as their two locations I run by have their sample people run out to the runners to see if we want any! It's not as if we're going to run inside and buy a few pounds at that moment. Long term thinking. I love it. Good night, all! After I eat the 1.5 lbs of salmon I have waiting for me for dinner, I'll be out cold!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Teresadfp

One day at a time

A rest day for me, but still an important date - THE LAST CONTRACTOR ON OUR HOUSE ADDITION FINISHED TODAY!!!!!! We started in mid-November. It has been TEN MONTHS. The winter was the worst one in southern Maine in 15 years, according to some people. Our carpenters did a good job, but of course the weather slowed them down a lot. The drywall / interior paint guy started on April 4 and today we're done with him. Seemed like a nice guy at the beginning. Very professional. Good contract. References checked out - huh, what were THEY thinking? He was way in over his head and it turns out he suffers from anxiety and depression. I don't know why we stuck it out with him - I think DH felt a little sorry for him, and the guy was so good at coming up with excuses we kept falling for them. He must have redone portions of the dry wall and paint 5 times. Everything looks OK now - not perfect, but acceptable. The best part is that we had the driveway paved, also - the first time we've ever had an asphalt driveway in 22 years of home ownership. Yahoo! I will try to post a photo soon. I can work in our home office in pajamas again! Big grin
                      Way to go Teresa----must feel great and working in PJs is always great! Run number two completed and all is well. I ran 3 miles from my house to the weekly 5k prediction race----said I would run a 22:20 and came up with a 22:08, 6:50 first mile, 6:55 and then the last mile with monster forest hill smacked me, still happy with the workout. First masters woman and 3rd overall. Tonight was age graded night and that meant a 20:23 for me. Cool. I ran home for another 3 miles and 12.5 miles on the day with this morning's trot. The sunset was gorgeous with pink streaks across the sky. My guys rolled in from hockey practice just as I hit our street. Perfect. Speaking of hockey...PBJ! What's this you say about a hockey related job??? Maybe I'll finally meet you at Hartford (I am doing the 5k and then hanging out to yell encouraging words and maybe run a few more miles with cyber friends). I try to incorporate PBJ specials into training when I can. Evryday---you are grooving. Love it! Speedy, speedy mainerunnah! You will rock it on 10/5. Careful Enke!!!! G'nite all...I am TIRED Karin

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

that outfit is my fave for running. Gordon, Lucky you. I also want to dine with Jura and the taper boy. Hey, which mari is on septbember 28th? Got my first 100 registration for the autumn leaf fun run!!!.
                        Posie - I’d almost recommend you for this year’s Belly Mary too as a long run warm-up for your beloved Portland Marathon except it would be two back-to-backs in consecutive weekends and would make you a maniac! When is this year’s autumn Leaf? I bet there will be a record signup if you wear your cheerleader outfit as RD. Evanika - I remember talking with some skiers who ran the Equinox Marathon anyway when it was cancelled by the great snowstorm of 1995 the year after my running but didn’t know the storm was so widespread or long lasting (or started in Hawaii!). ps - what’s with the foot? Is it just a little pain that’s there for some unrelated reason and doesn’t affect running so much? Otherwise, maybe just let this year’s annual Equinox be a long fun run through the autumn beauty of the golden northland and save yourself for NYC in six weeks. Enkalina - see you at the Issaquah Salmon Day’s 10K and BBQ? We have our work cut out for us, and I don’t even think it will be possible anymore, to match Tammy’s 55 minute PR. ps - what’s with the foot? Is it just a little pain that’s there for some unrelated reason and doesn’t affect running so much? Otherwise, maybe get your feet naked again and have a little fun with me on the newly-paved, smooth textures of the Issaquah Salmon 10K.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Evryday---you are grooving. Love it!
                          What can I say? I'm the Les Steckel of entertainment.
                          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                            Ribs, tough loss for the Red Sox tonight. Rays have now won three games in their last at-bat against the Sox in the last week. I looked at the pitching for this series, and figured the Sox would win at least two out of three. In my opinion, the Sox have better starting pitching, though the Rays seem to have better relief pitchers. Yesterday's Sox starter gave up no runs, and Sox won. Tonight's Sox starter gave up only one run in eight innings. I'll take that performance any time. But Sox lost. Go figure. Dark Horse
                            I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
                            busiman

Running out of mistakes!

just a quick post for me...I'm wiped. Great interval workout tonight. Everything held together and I had more speed than I was expecting. We did a 1mile, 4x800 following by another 1 miler. It was supposed to be between 5 and 10k pace, but I usually go by form. If my form isn't spot on, then I must be going too fast. Hi PBJ! It'll be good to see you in Hartford.
                              -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
                              also on Twitter
                                The thought of Mariposai in a cheerleader outfit was too much to resist,so I mailed my entry to the Autmn Leaf Run in tonight...hoping I can run a quality 5K by then... See you soon Mariposai...
                                Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip