Masters Running

Wed Oct 15 Runs and Workouts (Read 681 times)

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

No run today - just 75 minutes on the (non-precor) stepper, and a matrix lifting session. Like Will Farrell in Anchorman, I'm working on the guns. Hah! Next week I'll be in Renfrew. Call it a tape delay.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

How soon after a marathon do you start running speed w/o again?
      dear marathon maniac #1109 - please check the marathon maniac oath about what to do after a marathon. 10/25 - Columbia River Power Marathon, WA 10/26 - Tri-Cities Marathon, WA 11/28 - Wishbone Marathon, WA 11/29 - Seattle Ghost Marathon 11/30 - Seattle Marathon.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

DickyG

With a big aloha to Hawaii, a new generation of coin collectors will soon shut their books on the U.S. Mint's popular 10-year state quarter program full of fond family memories and a fun dose of history. While not terribly rare, considering about 34 billion were produced, the commemorative quarters have captured the frenzied fancy of kids and their parents as they've drawn extended family, tip-collecting waitresses and bank tellers into the hunt. Get this: The U.S. Mint made a profit of over $3.5 billion by the end of last year, excluding special-issue sets. Sort of gives new meaning to the old saying: "It takes money to make money." Lou:
        "Well ya see, Norm, it's like this... -- Cliff Clavin
        Absolutely cracked me up...one of our cable channels shows Cheers re-runs from time to time...and that episode was on the other day. NoNo: You're OK, right? Carolyn: Terrific interval effort yesterday.
        The first two ski areas in Colorado opened today: Loveland and Arapahoe Basin. I know at least Twocat and DickyG are happy about ski season starting.
        Yep...saw it on CNN...although A-Basin only has an 18" base...probably opened a few of the lower slopes to get some of the locals out. Jeanne:
        Heard from DS#2 last night. Halfway through boot camp and he sounds good. That's the first time I talked to him since he left in September. He'll graduate on November 14, and I think a celebration is in order.
        Great news! Celebration indeed...I see chili dogs in your future.... Holly:
        Well, how do you really know when they are done?
        Yeah...good question...I have over 650 miles on my current pair...they feel fine...lots of tread..why retire them? Got up at 4 this morning to drive Queen Pam to the airport...she and all her Ya-Ya Sisterhood pals are meeting in Toronto...from there, they will meander their way down to Florida...she'll be home in about 10 days...don't ask me what they all do and why they do it. Sooo...I ended up sneaking out of work at about noon for a run...big mistake...it was already 83 out there. 4 absolutely suffering miles in 39:41 (9:55)...not sure I could have done much better. Only thing I can think of is that it's advance training for next year's Peachtree. MeltedG
          hmmmm...I think wildchild just called me fat...
          Nope, but she did say your running shoes make your butt look big. Shocked gotta go, Tweek
          Masters 2000 miles
          xor

While we're definitely out of states (WOOHOO HAWAI'I...), don't close those books quite yet:
            And collectors looking for a fresh fix should keep eyes peeled next year. That's when quarters will be issued for the left-out District of Columbia, commonwealths of Puerto Rico and the Northern Mariana Islands, and the U.S. territories of Guam, American Samoa and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

I got 700 miles out of my first pair, and less and less with each new one. I thought 450 miles was a good retirement age, but I can feel them starting to go around 300 now. And, I am not getting heavier! I volunteered at my DS/DD school today for their annual walkathon. Unlike Tammy's school, no running allowed. It was pretty fun seeing those kids walking non-stop for an hour and a half (the ambitious kids were jogging on the sly). Someone said the loop around the soccer field was 0.17 mile, although it looked like more than that to me. I am curious enough to go there someday and measure it with Mr. Garmin. Some kids got close to 40 laps. I can't wait to tell my DS, the relatively unathletic one, just how many miles he walked today. No workout to report. 6106 does sound lucky!!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #3309

I got 700 miles out of my first pair, and less and less with each new one. I thought 450 miles was a good retirement age, but I can feel them starting to go around 300 now. And, I am not getting heavier!
                I use to wear mine around 500 miles, but now it seems at about 300 to 350 I feel I need new one's...With Marathon training, that's a lot of shoes to buy. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

wildchild

Carolyn

4 easy recovery miles at lunchtime in IRC, 55 degrees, blue skies and sunshine. They would have been Magical Healing Miles if I'd had Tory with me! Big grin Jeanne, I'm so glad to hear your son is doing OK at boot camp. Gordon, Aamos is putting words in my mouth - I did NOT say your butt looks big...

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Renee the dog

NoNo: You're OK, right?
                    MeltedG, I hope you've recovered! I do think I'm OK. Had nasty symptoms on what ended up being a short run yesterday with the result of the symptoms being either: a) I was pregnant or b) I had fish poisoning. The ankle thing's been on/off. I found a box of books that never moved from the old house today Black eye , and in it was my Trigger Point Massage Therapy workbook....Here's a quote from the page I found pretty quickly: "Peroneus tertius trigger points will make your ankle pain and weakness persist after everything else has been fixed." It also notes that the pain is similar to that of the peroneus longus, which was what I thought it was. And, that ankle weakness is usually present though when it is the tertius. I did "lose my ankle" a couple weeks back while running. So, maybe I've found the key to fixing myself up. Already did Round 1 with that trigger point. Interestingly, the book mentions that 8% of the population is missing this muscle, and 1 in 7 has a fourth peroneus muscle called the peroneus quartus. I had no idea there were different design structures on humans like that!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

enke, I love your story. One of my clients has experienced a real tragedy and it's feeling bleak here, so it was most wonderful to envision you and the kiddos at the track. Hope there was no icky dad like the one Tammy encountered! And how far did DS go today? My run was most un-sproinky. It is cloudy and 47 and chilly here and I just slogged along. 6.08 in 52:52, an 8:42 pace, ave HR 145 and high 158. 9:00/8:47/8:45/8:44/8:25/8:32 and the Rays are a very, very good team Sad Glad y'all are here grins, A ps: 06106 is the zip for Hartford, CT, isn't it? --and several RAers just had a grand time racing and meeting there.
                      Masters 2000 miles

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

The ankle thing's been on/off. I found a box of books that never moved from the old house today Black eye , and in it was my Trigger Point Massage Therapy workbook....Here's a quote from the page I found pretty quickly: "Peroneus tertius trigger points will make your ankle pain and weakness persist after everything else has been fixed." It also notes that the pain is similar to that of the peroneus longus, which was what I thought it was. And, that ankle weakness is usually present though when it is the tertius. I did "lose my ankle" a couple weeks back while running. So, maybe I've found the key to fixing myself up. Already did Round 1 with that trigger point.
                        Confused

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Gordon, Aamos is putting words in my mouth - I did NOT say your butt looks big...
                          Now Dark Horse is callin' people fat in that interval thread Holly started Evil grin
                          Masters 2000 miles
                            ps: 06106 is the zip for Hartford, CT, isn't it? --and several RAers just had a grand time racing and meeting there.
                            Yes, it is one of the zip codes for Hartford, CT... Amy-our Sox are gettin' whupped by the young and hungry Rays. We need to come out strong Thursday and get some runs. Our bats have stopped hitting the ball...sigh. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 3 recovery miles for me early this am

Renee the dog

I was 06117 for 4 years....(U. of Hartford) Let me know if you see him/her. If it's a "him", let me know if he was cute.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Okay - now I know I'm gonnna do good .... err .... at least finish with a smile on my face!! Big grin

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                                It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com