Masters Running

Wed Oct 15 Runs and Workouts (Read 681 times)

Tramps

Tramps...if you want any firewood I've got tons sitting here. Come over and get it before I burn it up. Smile
    Thanks, would you mind dropping it off this weekend? Smile Actually, I paid $$ for this seasoned wood but I've also got a couple of big downed trees that I need to cut up and stack, probably for next year. I might try to get to that this weekend. We just had the back couple of acres bush hogged so I can finally get to them easily. Holly--It's hard to tell, isn't it? I run 80% of my miles on a dirt road, for example, so I get very little tread wear even though I might have 400+ miles on them. The shoe looks fine, but I know I'm losing cushioning and protection. (Compare and old pair to a new one and you'll feel the difference right away.) By trial and error, I've decided about 450 miles is the safe limit on my Asics 1130s, so I retire them at that point. I also keep my "older" pair for shorter, easy runs and make sure I use the newer pair for speedwork and long runs. It's not worth courting an injury to get an additional few miles out of a pair.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Cheers to Marathon Mary. Go #6106 Timbo praying for warm weather for you.
      Ummm....could you pray for cool weather...it's still been in the 80's here Wink Hey Bill, I almost forgot....how's the road rash healing up after your your "wanna be" gymnastic maneuver??? Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Hey Tim, thanks for asking. The Road Rash is beginning to heal up nicely. My hand/finger is better, but still aches around the joint between the hand and the pinkie. And I have no strength in it at all. US Gymnastics has decided that I won't be touring with the Gold medal winners this season. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mariposai

Ummm....could you pray for cool weather...it's still been in the 80's here Wink Tim
          Off to erase my prayer request and pray for cooler weather Smile I am sure learning a lot from Holly's interval thread. Great summary by our beloved dtoce. To the veterans here...this is my question. How soon after a marathon do you start running speed w/o again?. I am two week into marathon post-partum.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

8 miles with T this morning...7:59 pace... Mari-Nice avatar pic 310 miles on my shoes now,so unless it rains tomorrow I will break out a new pair... I would give myself 3 weeks before speed after a marathon...but that's me...everybody is different
            Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
            wildchild

Carolyn

Ummm....could you pray for cool weather...it's still been in the 80's here Wink
              Be careful what you wish (or pray) for! The first two ski areas in Colorado opened today: Loveland and Arapahoe Basin. I know at least Twocat and DickyG are happy about ski season starting. I always wonder how many miles to use my shoes - I usually end up with about 500-525 miles before I retire a pair, and I haven't had any injuries (knock on wood!) I think it probably is related to weight and running surface. Like Tramps, I mostly run on dirt. Also, someone with the same size shoes as me could weigh much more (or less) than I do, and that would impact how much the cushioning breaks down. Holly's light, so she probably can wear shoes longer than a bigger person.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

hmmmm...I think wildchild just called me fat...
                Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good morning. Firewood cross-training last night; hauled and stacked three cords. I can feel it in my lower back a bit this morning. A couple Ibuprofen and a rest day for me. Have a good one.
                  Wow - that is a lot of crosstraining. I know because I've watched MrHopeful working on our pile for a few months now. Tongue Doug - such good news to hear that the wall is gone!! Thanks for letting me know. Holly - I can tell when my shoes are worn down when my knees or hips start getting sore. Then I try to squeek out a few more miles on shorter runs. I've gotten close to 300 miles on a pair. Thanks for everyone's support. I am all ears if there is any last minute advise . . . . like what NOT to forget to pack.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                  It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

wildchild

Carolyn

hmmmm...I think wildchild just called me fat...
                    Hey, if the shoe fits... Big grin

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

xor

They aren't fat feet, they are just big boned.

Jlynne

Breger - with that sore pinky, maybe you should take four weeks off like Tony Romo!
                        Tramps

They aren't fat feet, they are just big boned.

Be safe. Be kind.

TammyinGP

awwww, look at Mariposai's new avatar! I love it! I'm also learning alot from the Interval Thread. Thanks for starting that Holly. I'm going to the track tonight after work . . . to do intervals Big grin

Tammy

wildchild

Carolyn

Tammy's another lemming! Big grin

TammyinGP

Tammy's another lemming! Big grin
                                not just Another Lemming . . . President of the NW Chapter of Lemmings Unite! Big grin

Tammy