Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 5.7.14 (Read 43 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

4.2 RW miles in 41F temps at J o'clock this morning. I met another walker (not a racewalker), Steve, along the way this morning. Rather than wave and continue my workout, I decided to turn around and walk with Steve and enjoy a little pre-dawn conversation. It was a very enjoyable way to spend a few minutes. I'm sure I'll survive for having slowed and shortened my workout for one morning to spend a little time with a man on the street. Even though I started in the dark this morning, it was nice to have some daylight creep in, and to actually be able to see the world around me by the time I got back home. All things considered, life is good.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Hi Jay, good job slowing to talk with the walker.  That's something I need to do a better job of.  I tend to train by myself and often have blinders on while doing so.

Speaking of which, 5.2 blinder miles at an EZ 9:40 minute/mile pace.  My hamstring seems to allow/tolerate me to run EZ pace.  It's getting stronger, but not there yet.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - nice choice!

Byll - better is good.

4.3 easy-paced miles for me this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Jay, kudos for turning around to keep the other walker company. Pre-dawn company is always very nice to have.

Byll, kudos to you too for being so patient with the hamstring recovery. Your patience will pay off soon.

No running here, but I did an hour of yoga and stretching today. A warm hello to the new folks here. It was good to see rhoon phast, start, perchcreek, La Tortuga, and jimmyb post over the weekend.

I finally had the chance to see my Ave of the Giants mile pace. I am very please with the effort, of course the giant trees are the culprit for inspiring me to run strong the whole way.

9:26; 9:02; 8:44; 8:52; 8:48; 8:42; 9:03; 8:42; 8:47; 8:44; 8:35; 8:28; 8:23; 8:39; 8:38; 8:55; 8:49; 9:08; 9:07; 9:09; 8:47; 9:19; 9:06; 9:12; 9:30, 9:33 and the last .63 at 8:36.

Give me a "i"

Give me a "o"

Give me a "u"

Give me a healthy Spareribs!!!

I hope you all had a great start of your day as I did. 

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

TammyinGP

what great splits Nancy!  Those are the splits I aspire to in a marathon and then I could BQ also!!

Another sunny day on tap so I'll head to the track after work and run around in circles for awhile. Maybe some intervals even.  Then we have rain for the next few days. David has prelims tomorrow but he's already qualified and has a good seeding for Districts on Saturday so he's just going to take this as a practice run.

Tammy

...hey,

it turns out I actually AM An Idiot.......

after

getting

yet another StoneBruise in my ''good'' foot,

I ran out of ideas and tried wearing my Running Orthotics

which Worked!!!!!!!!!!

============

YOUR JOB-

in future

if I say I have a StoneBruise in my good foot,

YOU

say ''Wear the Orthotics Idiot''

this could be Fun for the Whole Group.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

mrrun

Posai - awesome splits and such a smile on your face when you finished!

Ran 4 leisurely aka slow miles this morning along the Charles (not near downtown) in the middle of restocking food and trying to figure out what time it is!  My only conversation was a couple of runners stopped to tell me to look out for a missing brindle lab - I didn't see it, so I'm hoping the owner found it because i didn't see the notice they told me about.

Enjoy the day!

marj

AamosY your race report to Tag was certainly one of the more entertaining I have seen!  But I am very, very glad I was not there with you!

fatozzig whenever resting advice includes potentially laying down in a fetal position I would say the planned workout is pretty tough!  Pretty funny TammyinGP story!

TammyinGP about that Garmin measurement . . . a GPS device will nearly always measure long.  It has to do with the way the errors add up.  When calculating distances some add rather than cancel.  You may have run the tangents just fine.  As to the race, it sounds like you had a great time at the race and with the RA meetup!  That, of course, is the more important result!

henrun I have spent about 11 years in the Berkeley area.  Tilden park is really wonderful.  As an undergraduate I used to go up there during the summer and pick black berries with a friend of mine.  After that they would magically turn into pies!  Ah to be young and able to eat like that again . . .

C-R congratulations to both your DS on the new PR and DD on the job.

wildchild you have been a busy host these last few days!  Given where you live, I suspect you will be seeing more of the RA crew on their vacations in the years ahead.  

evanflein gotta make a living!  Alas, running pays rather poorly.  

coastwalker good call!  Who knows it may lead to a future race walker for you to walk around in the dark with!

breger1 be nice to that hamstring! Glad to hear it is feeling better.

Holly S. boy you sure are tougher than I am!  No way I plan a run as yet!

Mariposai brilliant pacing!

tomwhite the "I am an idiot" sentiment is one I too often hear myself sharing.    But, all's well that ends well.

mrrun not sure what time it is?  See these round things with arms or sometimes square with numbers . . . 

As noted above no running for me today.  Or tomorrow or the next day either.  Maybe this weekend.  But for the first time since I got back I managed a bit of time in the gym doing core and upper body work.  Later on, I had lunch with an MBA student who happens to already have a Ph.D. in statistics (no this makes no sense to me either).  I am working on getting him to switch into academic finance.  It was a very nice lunch and I think I am making progress!    My DW would kill me!  She tells all young women that if your boyfriend is thinking of getting a Ph.D. or worse becoming an academic RUN AWAY!  

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

TomW -

2Kitty - My coach knows how much I can't stand speed work, so he gives me options as to how to deal with it.

Jay - Speedwalking was a point of discussion between Wildchild and me.  We both do our best to incorporate your instruction into the walking periods of our trail runs.

Speaking of speed work - Last night did my 6 miles with hill speed work.  Coach wanted me to do 3x1/2 mile slightly faster than tempo.  If I'd done the run yesterday morning, it would have been a combination of up and down since I don't have an easily available hill that's 1/2 mile in length.  So I ended up at the McKay after work doing 3x1/3 mile at stay-alive-keep-breathing-and-don't-die pace.    There was no up and down, just up, up, up for .30.  They were tough, but I did them, which proved to myself that I CAN do them.  And despite Coach giving me the OK to lay down in the fetal position after each one for recovery purposes, I just did the bend-over-at-the-waist-hands-on-hips-breathing-like-I'm-dying thing instead.

This a.m. there was no getting back to sleep at 4:15 (I needed to get up anyway) with Goofy trying to have his way with his favorite blanket that's on the foot of our bed (he literally got kicked off), so I was up and out for 7 EZ miles.  My legs are pleasantly pooped.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

C-R

Very nice Jay. I bet he appreciated that very much.

Solid splits Nancy.

I need more core work twocat. Thanks for reminding me.

I always keep a spare set of blankets under my side of the bed just in case.

Got a heavy legged 10k today. At least got it done.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Sayhey! MM#130

Sounds as if most of us are having a decent Wednesday, even if missing our weekends....here's to ORTHOTICS, glad they are working for you, tw!

Love reading about everyone's runs.....I think maybe we think about other RAers on some part of our runs, perhaps noting a bird or play of light that we then include in our account.

So I've had court days yesterday and today and only enough time to read, not write much.  Thanks, Tag, and all the rest of you who said kind things about my note to Tag.  But Steve! Please to reassure us Tag is ok for true?    <<werried girl here>>

Since I ran yesterday morning and then with the running group last night (I didn't fully participate in the speed work, just ran with various folks at an easier pace--being prudent--), this morning was an easy 5 for me in more daylignt than not.  Soon, I'll be able to run over to Lakes Park in the morning (still a little too dark right now) and watch the sun rise over the lake.  Lots of birds there; saw a bald eagle at that spot earlier this year.

Any races this weekend?  We have one (just a 5K) at Lover's Key, isn't that a greta name?

And I have to echo what twocat to Erika about running paying rather poorly.  Then why do we always say "good job!" when we pass another runner?  (quibble quibble, you say?  discuss!)  I usually ask "how ya doing?" or try to say something that fits the situation.   That is, if I ever find anyone not connected to earphones anymore.....

Have super evenings!

grins

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Henrun

Like mrrun I'm also having "time" problems. Our left coast trip tired me out and I'm on the verge of a cold. Despite that I got in a 3.2 run after a morning class.

Proud of all our Ave of the Giant runners- what a great group-as are all RA'ers.

wildchild

Carolyn

Henry, I hope you kick that cold!  I'm tired too after the left coast trip - mostly because of altitude, I think!  I did a very slow 2.5 miles with the dogs this afternoon and that's about all I could muster up the energy for.  I was only at sea level for 4 days, but I'm blaming it for my slow pace anyway!

Nice splits, Nancy!  And congrats again on that BQ!

Twocat, I think you're confusing me with Leslie - she's been the busy host this past weekend!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Awesome split times, Mariposal!!  CONGRATS on the BQ, way to go!!

Rest day yesterday, good timing because it was miserably cloudy, rainy and chilly despite the 50 degrees temp, it's that clammy cold that gets to your bones, I can't get warm from that.

Today was less windy, about 13 mph, overcast, about 60 degrees!?!  Drove to paved bike trail (state park) which turns into dirt trail after 2 miles, "freeway!!"  Rainclouds in the distance, and you know it's going to pour, right?  It didn't .... instead I ran for about 10 minutes in a nice gentle rain shower!!  Ran back and forth on the dirt (flat) trail till I reached 8 miles, then headed back, finishing last 2 miles on paved trail (ouch!).  Finished a nice 10 miles, YIPPEE!!

What a wonderful time for all at Avenue of the Giants! Not surprised of course.

Fabulous splits Maraposai! See you in Boston next April?

I'll leave off the word Idiot, TW! Just wear the orthotics :-)

Ran 9.6 miles today mostly on bike path and then back up the hills to home. Ran a  5k last night ---Tuesday nights from April  to October $5 XC style and always fun. Series has been running for 28 years and goes along the course I competed on in college---still haven't mastered it though!

Hope Tag is okay? Hudson waves a paw

Hope Ribs is home tomorrow. What an ordeal!