Masters Running

Saturday 12/20 Runs (Read 560 times)

Some great runs already this a.m. Very nice! I opted out of my 10-mile trail run this a.m. since I was unable to eat much yesterday and definitely don't have the calories in me to expend. The hard part is getting over the stupid guilt I feel for not running, even though this is the first Saturday I haven't run in well over a month. Maybe I'll actually get some things done around the house! The sun's out right now, although there's suppose to be more rain on the way. Have a great Saturday, everyone!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

xor

Merry Christmas! Undecided

The Rudolph Run (5K) in Huntsville was fun. It was the 2nd race for my friend, the gentle giant, who I've recruited. My time was actually under 30 minutes; 29:28! I would call that a PR but sometime many years ago I did a 5K faster than that, so I don't think I get to count. I ran the mile fun race after the 5k and here is a picture of me finishing (illegally, since I didn't register for the fun run No /Users/fussellh/Desktop/CIMG0262.JPG Ok, obviously that didn't work. Can someone out there tell me how to put a picture on this site?

Hill Runner

Ummm Peter, nice run but check your calendar before posting a subject line. It's not Christmas quite yet! Bill
          You can tell Peter has Christmas on his mind Smile
          Oh boy - I hope it is not the 25th yet!! Big grin
          WOW Peter you scared me I thought I'd over slept because I don't have a cat to wake me up Roll eyes Well I did sleep very well last night Cool
          OK ...just saw my error...corrected it Smile BTW...Roy has been know to post erroneous dates also ...I haven't seen him posting lately...hope he's alright.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
          Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
          Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Henrun

Instead of a run we snowshoed this morning around our local resevoir (1.5 mile circuit) -(see photos on KR) and then dug out the car. It's still snowing lightly here to add to the 9 inches we got yesterday-more to come tomorrow. Fortunately we live in a condo and most of the snow removal is done for us. Might throw on the Yak Trax for a short run tomorrow. Fussy, Marj adds the photos via Photobucket.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Nice runs! Holly.. It's hard to push hard in training vs a race so that was a great effort! In 2006 I did intervals every Tuesday and a simulated 10K race every Friday for 2 months and my 10K time dropped like a rock. I've been to scared of injury to try that again.. but it is tempting...hmm Ribs.. nice progress! 6 Magical Healing Miles with Tory in 1:00:14 (10:02 pace, AHR 138). Funny thing today. Tory lunged off the side of the road to the end of his leash. By the time I looked over, I saw him in mid air, about a foot off the ground, where he hit a fire hydrant broadside so he was like wrapped around it (ouch!). About 3 feet away was a large deer just standing there watching it all (probably laughing like crazy Big grin). Tory was fine. A guy driving by saw the whole thing and was laughing too.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

spacityrunner

12/20: 8.07 miles in 1:38:15 for a 12:10 m/m. 38F feels like 28F. Splits: 13:01, 12:00, 12:15, 12:09, 11:21, 11:14, 12:02, 13:19 Overcast, grey and windy. Followed the Potomac River from Haines point to the Georgetown waterfront. Dressed perfectly for conditions (that rarely happens). Stopped at mile 4 and took water, gu and stretched. Everything feels pretty good. We shall see what tomorrow brings. Note: This is the first time I have been able to run this distance since 4/07 when I did a 10 mile race. It has been a long hard road back….and I am still not 100% certain I am back…but my p.t. says I can do the Miami half at the end of January and that is my goal. I have learned many lessons during this recovery and I am already a stronger runner because of them. Everything is a gift and I am grateful that I have been given this one.

Trails Rock!

Renee the dog

Perch, LOL at Tory! Just snuck in a 2.5 miler (yeah, that was worth making clothes stinky...not). My Mom is now NOT getting released from the hospital. They don't know what's up with her, but want to put in a pacemaker. How do you put a pacemaker in a person with a very adamant DNR? Confused My husband just left for a 2 hr drive to go pick up his Mom and her boyfriend. Yeah. Can't fly to Atlantic City's airport. Can't use car service to get here. So, I can't go see my Mom as the hospital doesn't let a woman in to visit with a 4 and 2 yr old in tow... Frustrated doesn't cover how I feel right now! I wish I had time for a 10 miler. Would help ease some tension in my head. So would tequila, but not time to drink either! Off to do the next thing on my list. Good runs to all!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

dg.

hi everyone I don't have time to read but wanted to post.. if I wait too long I get log jammed. Meg... Ribs, thanks for the 5K encouragement. have been looking for one. you think, train for it? or just run it? Bill thanks for starting that discussion the other day. not quite better but getting there! 2 sort of runs.. 3 on theTM yesterday. 7 today by the river, 12 with the wind chill (sorry Mary) IRQ! except for the into the winds part. slow ...10:32 overall (8:37 max) but the first mile was 14:24! half of it I just walked, in a foot of unplowed snow. The rest wasn't bad, but a little slippery. I give you all so much credit for long runs in this.. it takes a lot of focus not to fall. most miles were around 9:40. i think there should be a law against bridges that are overloaded with snow creaking in an illegal manner as you cross them, over ice infested waters. I'm just saying. hr not bad (for me) 163 ahr, 178 max.
                      dc- it would be nice to hear about your long recovery back to healthy running. I was wondering what happened to you! You people with the dog stories, it is making me want to get a dog! I have to find a new home for our cat as I think my son is allergic to her, mildy, but still. {{nono}} I did get outside. Only 3.35 miles but I did it (felt like 6 miles!). Balaclava and all, and I saw another guy with the same headgear out there running! I was wishing I had worn my trail shoes to handle all the lumpy snow. Feeling kind of cabin-feverish now without being able to really go anywhere. Both our cars suck in the snow. DH piled into a snowbank on the highway yesterday but no damage. No more whining. Enjoy the gift.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

I have learned many lessons during this recovery and I am already a stronger runner because of them.
                        I'd love to hear your lessons learned - I'm sure we could all learn from them. Great to see you back.. Dg - just do it! You are in more than good enough condition to run a 5K. Fussy - I upload pics to Flikr,com, then I right click on the photo, copy the "properties" and then past the properties into the post with an [img] in front of it and a [/img] at the end, but you have to use these kind of brackets <> instead of the [ ] ... hope that helps. {{{Nono}}}

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

Liz, great to see you! So happy about your progress too. dg, just go run one. What you need is a benchmark, or starting point. You will find it very exciting. Spareribs
                            nono, that's awful, I'm sorry. And now you have to be nice to your guests, or not so much? That'd be hard, having had to have disappointed your mom and dealing w/ your own frustration. Go kick some sand, at least! Holly, you are the most disciplined person. Good job! And to you to, Bil, nice going. dg., just run it and have fun, talk with the other runners, see what you think. And write a nice long RR, of course! Frank says "hang in there, Tory. I've done something similar." [Today, Frank appropriated the little stuffed & fluffy Santa hat ornament with the Red Sox "B" on it that is supposed to hang on the tree. He Evil grin thinks all stuffed animals and anything related is his.] When we went out today, the accuweather box that pops up by our training logs here said it was 5 and felt like -14; at our return, it read 3 and feels like -17. Still, DH got in his 8 miler at around a 12:15 pace. He's on a 4:1 run walk routine. I was too cold to run that pace, so I'd run ahead and then back and did 10 at about a 10:40 pace. [Before anyone cracks wise, I asked if that was ok and he said it was quite entertaining, actually.] He's right on track to complete his half-marathon at the end of January. I was an eejit Clowning around and wrote my last column about running in winter. It appeared today, so I would have been ashamed to show up at the gym. I should just shut up, when will I learn that? grins, A
                            Masters 2000 miles
                              Some really good runs out there today. I'll add my really good run to the mix. 6 easy miles @ 10:15 pace. A little cool and a little breezy, but it made for a great run. Enjoy it folks.
                              Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                                21K in 1:45 on the sloppy canal with my friend Liz today. It was tough footing but a great workout. Sure my calves will feel it tomorrow. Have to take girls to a party tonight and a bit of shopping for me then hopefully a relaxing night. Tomorrow the girls and I are making chocolate truffles..put in your orders. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently