Masters Running

Fa La: It's Friday, 4.17.15 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Holly, I'm glad you'll have company for the Carmel Marathon, even if she isn't running. That is a good friend!

Leslie, if I were your massage therapist, I'd be worried about a spasm kick from the frictionating. Sometimes sleep is more important for your overall fitness than a workout. Glad you listened to your body yesterday and made the right choice.

Jlynne, sometimes I'm jealous of those who have no yard clean-ups to deal with every Spring. The rewards from doing the clean-up can be great, but the work can be exhausting and seemingly never-ending too. Is the grass always greener on the other side?

Nice trial retirement on your birthday, BC. - I hope you enjoyed your day off.

I hope the trial by fire (on the new stove) went well, Roch.

Yesterday, I was tired and slept in. Today, I woke at 3 and didn't get back to sleep. So I was out the door at just past 4 for 6.8 RW miles. I started easy, but kept picking up the pace as I moved along. By the end, I was moving pretty well, and got my pace down to 10:45 for the last .8. I hope I didn't fry my legs for Sunday's race. I got back about 30 minutes before the rain started, so I was happy with that.

Today, I have to make a stop at the local historical society to see what they've got on the dam we are trying to replace. A dam on the site dates back to the late 1800s, so there is a question about whether what is there now belongs on the National Historic Register. Next, I'll try to meet with the Army Corps and the state Div. of Historical Resources to try to get a definitive answer. This evening, I'll be working at an art show/fundraiser. This is opening night, so there will be a wine and appie reception, and (hopefully) lots of people buying artworks. My job is to process those orders.

There is a new half marathon nearby in late June. it is being organized by one of the past beneficiaries of our Seacoast Half Marathon. I'm tempted to enter, but late June can get warm, and I don't race well in warm weather. Oh, the decisions!

I'm very much looking forward to seeing folks at the race in Somerville on Sunday. I'll try to make it to Lir too, but I still have to see how the weekend schedule shapes up. Deeze and I are working different jobs at the start in Hopkinton on Monday, but I hope we can at least say 'hello' there too.

Have a greta Friday and weekend!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

This morning I ran 3 miles at close to half marathon pace. Probably hit the pace pretty good after I was warmed up a little.

I have been chipping away at spring time yard work, but without enthusiasm. Posts from Jlynne and Jay have reminded me that this is my last year of doing this.  That kind of gives me a motivational boost to get out there and keep cleaning. I am hoping to make a major dent in the mess this weekend.

Early morning run with Ultra-Amy in rain showers, but pretty mild. Good chatter and nice to have the run done before the day gets rolling. Ran for an hour---so 7-7.5 miles.

Holly, QOD or QOtD is Quote of Day or Quote of the Day

Hudson will be four years old next week! Wow does time fly! He was just curled up on my lap (all 75 slightly damp pounds of him) and got up, stretched, looked over at his shoulder at me just now as if to say: yeah, need to stretch a bit and find my next nap spot, but don't relax too much lady, we're playing outside later. He is such a sweet and awesome dog. Our fuzzier son.

Nice speedy morning Jay and good running Dave. Here's hoping we all have no headache Fridays

Slo

Jay -- I admire your work. Dealing with bureacracies is a painful process for me. I just accpeted a position on another board of volunteers for a walking path on unused school district property. The board is filled with excited "can do" individuals...except for two who happen to be bureacrat types. How on earth anything gets done by people like that is beyond me.

Anyway - my other interest of the Human Powered League is back at work in the woods working on primitive shared use trails. Getting excellent feedback from the community. Now if i could get a few more volunteers and few more to open their wallets I could get more done!

Excellent weather here...made it really hard to come to work today after having yesterday off.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy Friday, all.

the way my running is going, I may ask you to pace me on Sunday, Jay.   Nice RW miles!

I'm glad Holly asked--now I have a new acronym to use and sound like I know what I'm talking about.

Dave, I know what HM pace is, but I sure am a long way from seeing it, even at short distances.

I got started about a minute and a half BEFORE the rain started, but just a light drizzle and 51°F made it relatively pleasant.  4 miles at 9:50 pace.

Slo--you're a glutton for punishment, but good on you for fighting for improvements.  Glad you're getting positive feedback on your trail work.  Around us, a rail trail conversion is getting all sorts of opposition from people that think it will lower property values.  Which is them not letting facts get in the way of a good NIMBY--just about every study I've seen shows that access to recreational trials INCREASES property values.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Slo

Slo--you're a glutton for punishment, but good on you for fighting for improvements.  Glad you're getting positive feedback on your trail work.  Around us, a rail trail conversion is getting all sorts of opposition from people that think it will lower property values.  Which is them not letting facts get in the way of a good NIMBY--just about every study I've seen shows that access to recreational trials INCREASES property values.

This is so true and the data is overwhelming.

C-R

Happy belated birthday Amy and BC.

That is a nice friend Holly. And welcome to our home town. I think you'll enjoy the marathon. Well managed by a local guy. I would recommend going to the Arts and Design district for food. Several good places to choose and a nice walkable area after. I would recommend Bubs for some good local fare. I would also say the Pint Room is a great place for a brew or Brockway Pub which is closer to where you are staying. Good luck and the weather should be wonderful.

I'm on a 6am flight to Boston tomorrow. Yikes. Can't believe its time. DS1 is now in track season and was put on the 4x800 as well as running the 2400 (and sometimes the 1600). They 4x800 has won twice by over 40 seconds (he runs leg two) and he finished 2dn in the 2400 yesterday. Fun to watch.

Slo and Jay - I do business with the Federal government and I am always amazed at things actually getting done with all of the bureaucrats involved. It teaches patience.

Well back to work.

Good racing everyone and safe travels.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Slo and Jay - I do business with the Federal government and I am always amazed at things actually getting done with all of the bureaucrats involved. It teaches patience.

I worked for the Postal Service for 17 years, and the stories I could tell you about some of my experiences there. And they're not even "officially" the Federal government.

Slo - we had a similar situation when advocates were trying to put in the Fox River Trail here in town. Home owners were worried about their property value, noise, littering, etc. Now the Cellcom marathon incorporates a big chunk of that trail in their race and a lot of these people have changed their tunes. It's an awesome trail. Truly, if you exercise at all, why would you not love the ability to step out your back door to run, walk or bike?

Steve - Tag is the best dog

Embrace that yard work Dave!

30 minutes of weights and core and 15 minutes on the rowing machine for me this morning. Planning a bike ride later after I hang with the grandboys while their mother gets a run in.

On a sad note, my goldfish John Doe passed away during the night. Longest I've kept one alive in quite a while - 4 years. Gave him a "royal flush" sendoff and told him to be good in pet heaven.

Good luck to all who are racing this weekend, and those running on Monday!

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Morning!

I say take a chance it won't be too hot in June, Jay.  Enjoy the race; you're really fast these days.  Good luck on getting anything definitive from two government agencies (sez she who works in one.)

What jlynne said about Tag, with apologies to Hudson......any chance he might be at the finish line Monday?  Probably your DH doesn't go there, right Karin?  Mine doesn't; he'll be at the game.  Another reason to do DeMar or another, right?

Jlynne, any thoughts on the latest Florida crazy 9the Tampa "mailguy" who flew his gyrocopter to the White House to deliver letters?  See, when some people do not have the weather to deal with, their energy gets all bolluxed up and they go beserk.  Explains why Florida and California seem to lead the league in this category.

Had some trouble sleeping last night...I think last year there was so much anxiety about getting the marathon to happen without incident, that this year I'm more relaxed and focused on having fun.  Not saying security isn't important this year, just that I'm less tense.  Minus 24 hours; like C-R, we have a 6-something am flight Saturday.

ran the bridge last night after work and then did 8 this am....still in rehab mode.  Definitely feel stronger than last week, and my legs aren't ouching me this am, so I'm as good as I can get for the Newton hills....REALLY delighted to know we have support at 19.9 and 22.5!  It is So GOOD x 3 to have something to look forward to at that point in the run.    [BTW, this is for true: at the last marathon I ran, in Reston March 29th, I was toiling up a hill at mile 19 when some kind soul cranked up the music at the aid station......doom, doom-de-doom de doom, doom doom doom...."where it began............   Sweet Caroline!"   Boy, did need that!]

Robin!  Have fun tonight!  Take pictures!   Please to remember that  at the game today (I will be available at all times via phone, text or email),  you stand between the top and bottom of the 7th inning for Take Me Out To the Ball Game (or God Bless America).   This is done at all baseball games.  At Fenway, and Fenway* only,  "Sweet Caroline" will be played between the top and bottom of the 8th.  As Neil sings: "Good times never seemed so good....." you, as a crowd member, are expected to be ready to yell out at the conclusion of that line:  "So Good! So Good! So Good!"

Recall that at our first home game back after 4/15/13, Neil took a red-eye from CA, showed up at Fenway unannounced and asked if they could use a singer in the game.   They could, and did.   (No asked if he meant "Solitary Man.")

* After 4/15/13, when the Sox went back on the road, many opposing teams played Sweet Caroline for us in the 8th.  Yup, even the Yankees.  It is good and proper that we remember this. 

I have a New Yorker cartoon from the first edition post bombing on my wall at work.  y'all have prolly seen it.  Guy and little girl, both in yankee hats but shirts with big Bs on them.  Caption: "Yes, we like the Yankees, but today we're all rooting for Boston."

OK, so the taper is ON for Somerville Sunday!

And apologies to the Lir crew: I may not look 100% party presentable, but I'll do my best.  Robin can stick me in a corner with a task if need be.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Okay - I think Amy wins post of the day, and it's only 8:25 here on the West Coast.

Tag is a wonderful pup.  How come we've never seen pics of the I'm sure equally awesome Hunter??

Is it just me, or does Jay seem to always be busier than a one armed paper hanger?

Thanks for the explanation on the acronym.  I had no idea what it meant.

How is it possible for someone to NOT like ice cream???  (eh hem - Tet)

Good job, Starr!

40 min on the stat bike this a.m., followed by about 10 min of core.

Safe travels to all everyone.  Have fun at the race, Holly ~~

Now I'm for another round of "That frigging hurts! Did you wear your cup today??"

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

King of PhotoShop

I too have the Boston excitement bug even though I'm not going this year.  I'm wearing a Boston shirt today from the '06 race and plan to wear Boston shirts right through Monday.  Aamos, how many Bostons will this be for you?  I have ten.

But each year my heroes at Boston have always been the volunteers. I know Deez and Jay are working.  CNY, how about you?  Hat's off to all volunteers.

Re that pic I put up the other day, I know all except the three at the far left.

Got 5 in this morning with the Saint so need only 4 tomorrow for my weekly 35.

Work time.  Spareribs

evanflein

I just checked and my calendar has too many meetings on it for Monday morning! Will need to do something about that. I'll be otherwise distracted! Might even wear one of my Boston shirts. Maybe the bright yellow one. Yeah, that'll be good at the office! Happy travels and enjoy the par-tay at the Lir. One of these years I'll just happen to be in town for that.

Our yard is a dreadful mess. It was a mess last fall and we just sort of gave up on it. Between all the rain (record breaking rainfall last summer) and the garage rebuild that never ended (and is still not finished), and the garden that just never did much but grow weeds, I think we just totally gave up. But now it's coming out of hiding and we really need to do something. We have voles in the flower beds in front and apparently in the siding where we found some access points. We've trapped 5 so far but there are many, many more. It looks like they've burrowed in and eaten the lily bulbs.   Dratted critters. I wish they weren't so cute. They sure are destructive.

Tetsujin, you'd better be sure to be running those stairs... I'm a little concerned about you putting on the pounds with all the new found delicacies! And I love ice cream but it does not love me. Had to give it up a few years ago and my gut is much happier without it.

Amy, you just crack me up.

I would love a nice trail system that was actually constructed and maintained. Ours are just ski trails turned to hiking trails in the summer for the most part. Lots of roots, hills and (currently) mud. Some have wood chips put down to try to deal with the bogginess in the lower sections, but for the most part they're just dirt and roots. Holly has run on them. Right now, everything is just too wet and muddy so I'm spending too much time on bike paths (paved) and road shoulders. Lots of little gravel all over that may or may not get cleaned up eventually. *sigh* But, it's mostly nice these days and we'll see mid-50's this weekend, so I'll be out there running anyway. And yard work. Bleh.

Speaking of trails, I found out last night that within the next three years, our long ago defunct railroad is supposed to become a rails to trails system and will go around the entire bay.  That will be so cool!

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

C-R - I think my friend said she wants to eat at a place called Muldoons, but I will offer up your suggestions.  Looks like the weather will be lovely.  I'm packing my sunscreen.

No time to post but I did read....

No run for me today, just 25 minutes of upper body weights and some stretching.

Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein while you are clearing away things from calendars see if you can cancel my Monday classes.

stumpy77 I suspect many of those opposing the trail just do not want the traffic going by their house.  We really need a way to bribe people into allowing public goods in their neighborhoods so that they support rather than oppose local projects. Until that never to come day arrives, good luck with your work on getting the trail in.

tetsujin209 to half of your food post all I can say is oooh yuck!  

Today was an elliptical day for me.  My bigger news has been restaurant negotiations. My DW is running the More Half Marathon on Sunday.  It is basically two loops around Central Park and this will be the third time she has done it.  Months ago arranged to meet up for dinner with a couple we have known for a long time but have not seen in a long time either.   I got the usual where do you want to go, we will go anywhere email from them.  Translation:  We are really picky about where we go but will not tell you where is acceptable.   To get the ball rolling I said it has to be Italian since I know my DW will want to eat something with carbs the night before the race.  They then booked a place with pretty mediocre reviews on TripAdvisor.    You cannot win them all.  Maybe we will be surprised on the up side.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/