Masters Running

Tuesday, Oct. 21 Runs and Rests (Read 556 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Happy Tuesday Sleep Heads!!! I could not resist a 2 mile birthday run this morning. OMG! I felt like I was 80 years old trying to get started for the first time. I just took it slow and averaged 11:15 miles. I thought of bumping it to a 2.3 mile run so my monthly number would be a .5 - but then decided that the .2 is pretty significant. Smile Thanks again for all your support. I'm still pretty geeked! ~Cheers!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning Marathon Mary, and everyone else Smile Well, at least I didn't have to call you a slacker today Mary Roll eyes. I think a lot of folk in the mornings are checking out RR's before posting at the daily..I suppose. 3 easy recovery miles for me last night. Legs were super sore and tired from my weekend runs. I had not looked at my yearly mileage for a while, but I surpassed 2000 miles for the year last Sunday Cool Never dreamed before that I could run that many miles in a year...and still have about 2 and 1/2 months to go. Well, survived day one of taper, on to day two now. I will actually be fine until next week when I won't hardly run many miles at all....still get to run 35 miles with speed work this week. Have a greta day all, Big hugs to Erika and her foot injury...hope you get well soon!!! I know how much this is bothering you, and wish there was something I could do to help!!! Hopefully your podiatrist will shed some light on your problem, with a plan for action to get you pain free and running like you want again. 11 Days to go...Yikes. Won't be long before I will be checking out the extended weather forecast for Nov 1st. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Wow Tim - 2,000 Miles - that is GREAT! You are going to do so well at your FIRST Marathon - I am so excited. Now that mine is done I can concentrate all my attention on your experience! Hang in there - the first couple of weeks of taper are not bad - it is the last one that drives you mad. Erika - I hope your foot is better soon!! {{{{Hugs}}}}

~Mary

~unknown

Top 'O the World!

11 Days to go...b>Yikes. Won't be long before I will be checking out the extended weather forecast for Nov 1st. Tim
          Yay Tim! (feels a bit like Christmas doesn't it!?) You will do VERY well!!! Mary: how's Brinkley taking the "recovery time?" Mairead is hanging on my hip like glue! I got a tech shirt @ the expo from GypsyRunner - "My Running Partner Has Four Legs" w/doggie paw prints all over it Wink Cindy
          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Happy Birthday Marathoner Mary! Tim.. you'll go crazy soon enough Smile. Word of advice.. when you run your marathon, stick to the pace even if it feels like you really have to hold back. Then when you hit 20 you can say... "Finally, I can run fast!" A great night last night at a small live James Taylor concert on the track at UNC (no one allowed on the grass field so the crowed extended about 100m of track and bleaches. (The stage was at the start line area). We had great seats and the music was wonderful..like a time warp! It was politically motivated... I liked the song that goes "...you've got a friend...Obama..." This morning I decided to try a tempo (ish) run. After 4 miles warmup with Tory at 9:40 pace, ran 6 miles in 47:16 (7:53 pace, AHR 163). It felt SO good to get into a confortable stride, sometimes finding the groove. No calf soreness during or after! Overall 10 miles in 1:25:55 (8:36 pace)

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #3309

Wow Tim - 2,000 Miles - that is GREAT! You are going to do so well at your FIRST Marathon - I am so excited. Now that mine is done I can concentrate all my attention on your experience! Hang in there - the first couple of weeks of taper are not bad - it is the last one that drives you mad. Erika - I hope your foot is better soon!! {{{{Hugs}}}}
              Thanks Mary, but I am on a 2 week taper not 3...thank goodness Smile I'm excited too, but also getting nervous as the time grows near Shocked Thanks Steve.... as the time does gets closer, I am understanding more about proper pacing and letting it loose at the right time....of course, coach will have MUCH to say about this issue next week. Also, nice run and pace Steve...and most importantly, pain free Smile Thanks for your kind words and encouragement too Cindy Smile WTG on your Marathon..if I haven't said so yet. Your another RA lady that we all love and respect Wink Oops, the Birthday went right over my head....HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARY Smile Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Mary: how's Brinkley taking the "recovery time?" Mairead is hanging on my hip like glue! I got a tech shirt @ the expo from GypsyRunner - "My Running Partner Has Four Legs" w/doggie paw prints all over it Wink
                He was not happy staying at home this morning that's for sure! He's got about 2 weeks of staying home. Tomorrow morning I have to have a basal cell surgically removed from the side of my nose up by my eye. That means NO activity that will elevate my heart rate for 10 days. It is going to SUCK big time. Undecided But, I figured right after my marathon was the best time to schedule it. Oh, I looked up that shirt too - I just might have to order one for myself!!

~Mary

~unknown

Morning everyone. I did my 7.5 mile route at a 9:41 pace. Pitch black for the whole run - back to headlamps and reflective arm bands. Not to mention the fact that it was 35F when I checked a bank clock at the 1 mile mark. It didn't seem that cold, but I think it's all psychological - we know what's coming! Shocked Happy birthday Marathon Mary! (that has a nice sound to it, doesn't it?) After running your marathon, I think you're entitled to lots of cake and ice cream today. Tim - if tapering drives anyone crazy, it will be you! Hang in there, friend. Congratulations on 2,000 miles this year, and with over 2 months left to add to the total! Perch - glad to hear that calf muscle wasn't a problem this morning. Nice tempo run - with Tory, of course. We saw James Taylor in concert a few years ago. He was awesome. His voice sounds exactly the same as when he was young - hits every note and the sound is so pure. I've got a bunch of his CDs, but "You've Got a Friend" will always be my favorite. Have a great Tuesday, everyone.

Hill Runner

Good morning all, Happy Birthday Mary. It's really been dark out but that will all change after next weekend when we return to normal time. It will be dark however for the start of my marathon this Saturday. We will be supplied with portable flashlights and illuminated wrist bands as we run in the darkness down the mountain. Rain is also forecast....Nice...just the way I like it! 8:01 miles of hills @ 8:47 pace...I cut the run a little short this morning as I don't want to log too many miles this week before the race. Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                    Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                    Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Top 'O the World!

Happy Birthday Mary!! Sorry I missed that earlier! &{{{ Good luck tomorrow am!}}} hope it all goes well. DH took Mairead for a little walk yesterday...didn't really do enough for her after training up to the marathon w/both of us! she's positively nutty right now...but I'm going to lay off running for a few & let this ankle heal a bit...guess I need to take her to the dog park A LOT for the next little bit!
                      Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                      munchkn883

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MARATHON MARY!! No walking for me today....at least not this morning. GD is home from preschool with a fever so I'll be doing alot of hugging and cuddling today!
                        Mariposai

May you have a glorious, silly and fun day MARATHONER MARY. stevep...I am so sorry to hear about your tragedy.
                          On a more tragic note, over the weekend I ordered 4 black ribbed Batman tank tops. The company sent one...Black ribbed Batman tank tops have been discontinued by the manufacturer. Sad Sad How can anyone race Confused Cry Dead
                          35degrees outside this morning. Since I new it will be a sunny day today, I decided to skip my run until the afternoon. Erika, good luck with the podiastrist.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Mary – did you say birthday? HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Bummer about the basil-cell, but I agree this was good scheduling. Tim – I think I will do a 2-week taper next time around, as well. Not so crazy-making.... Perch – nice run! Peter – I’m looking forward to hearing about your marathon. A very windy 48 degrees this morning when I headed out, but a cold front is moving in tonight. I had programmed ½-mile intervals into my Garmin, but decided after the first one that I just didn’t have it in me today. The dull ache in my groin/hip/pelvis from my summer tendon strain has mostly left me, but today it felt tender again, and I’m too afraid of re-injury to push it. So I ran a little over 5 easy-paced miles outside, then did this on the TM: (1 min. 7:41/1 min. 9:40) x 7 Total distance: 7 miles. Somehow the TM is easier on tender spot, because it has a bit of spring in it, not such a hard jolt with each step as the pavement. Happy Tuesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

Mary—I like your cheery avatar. Very appropriate. Is it your birthday too? Happy birthday! Tim—congrats on 2000+; impressive and it’s only October! Steve—did you run a few intervals during the show? I’ve never been a big JT fan, but he always seemed like a class act. Good to hear the leg is behaving this morning, too. Peter—good luck this Saturday! In honor of PBJ’s birthday, I ran a PBJ sandwich. 1 mile warm-up + 8 mile tempo (in 59:56) + 1.3 mile cool-down. These are tough and I’m glad to get them over with.

Be safe. Be kind.

Smart move Holly. Steve, I'm afraid we're going to find out really soon whether those words are true. Nice weather this morning; the best so far. 67F and 81%. It's Repeat Tuesday so I ran 9 miles total at 8:55 pace with 5x1000m with 400m Rest Intervals. 1. 4:42 (7:32 min/mile pace) 2. 4:35 (7:20) 3. 4:32 (7:16) 4. 4:37 (7:24) 5. 4:39 (7:26) I thought I was running faster than that on the last 2 Repeats. But I'll take it. Never walked a step during the entire 9 mile workout. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong