Masters Running

The daily on Monday, 6.4.12 (Read 605 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' all!

I'm stopping by just to say I got nothing today. DW and I spent most of Sunday painting and wallpapering our bedroom. We're happy with the way it came out, but especially because we both have colds and sore backs, we were pretty well spent by the end of the day. This morning, I woke to a wind-driven rain and decided that it would be better for my health if I just held the couch down for a while instead of venturing out.

Have a great day!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Jlynne

Good morning Jay and all to follow. There must be a lot of crud going around right now. Seems to be a strange time of the year for colds and flu, doesn't it? I'm dealing with a sinus infection right now that makes running very unpleasant. 5 miles this morning, 9:17 pace. Trying to get breathing easily with a head full of yuck was not easy. A beautiful day though Smile   Sunrise was spectacular with a red streaked sky and lots of chirping birds. Everything is so quiet and peaceful - love these early morning runs without an Ipod or other distractions.

Great picture of "the boys" yesterday. A very handsome-looking group.

Nice family picture of your group too, Holly. I can't believe how big your DS is getting. And your DH looks positively svelte!

That History Channel special on the Hatfields and McCoys was fantastic! Did anyone else get a chance to see it? We DVR'd it and finally got a chance to watch it last night. And to think that whole feud started over someone stealing a pig...

Tramps

Great racing this weekend (including Karin Shocked ) and beautiful pics yesterday of both people and scenery. 

Easy 6 this morning, but I did mix in some striders for the first time in a long time and even got a mile in that began with a “7”.  Progess.

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning all.  Not a huge amount of running or even reading about running the past month or so Black eye, but this caught my eye this morning.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2012/06/long_distance_running_and_evolution_why_humans_can_outrun_horses_but_can_t_jump_higher_than_cats_.html

I know I won't be able to fully catch up, but I hope to try over the next few days.  I gather that there have been some great runs (that's too easy but anyway) and not too much pain and suffering.  I hope I haven't missed anyone or thing important.

Miss you guys and the road.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Slo

Great Link Stumpy...Thanks

An easy 6 miles this morning.

I'm sure this little dish already existed but over the weekend, on the grill, I came up with this little concoction.

I toasted slices of lightly buttered french bread. Placed a slice of tomatoe, followed with a grilled pineapple slice and topped with fresh mozzarella. Grilled just long enough to let the cheese start to melt. Finished off with sea salt.  Yummy.

Booked a Wisconsin cabin for mid July last night. Ready for do nothing vacation.

Enjoy the day!

King of PhotoShop

Thank you Stumpy.  I have always known that a man can outrun a dog at the marathon, but whenever I say so I get huge arguments from dog lovers to the effect that if a dog were trained he could beat a man.  Now I have an article I can direct them to!

8 slow yesterday and 4.5 slow today. I should have my legs back tomorrow.  Planning to run the Wounded Warrior Half on Sunday.

At Saturday's 4-mile race I noticed so many people who come to races unprepared to race, and I made one of those "5 tips on racing in the heat" posts.  Curious if any of you have additional ideas, or perhaps contrary ones:

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2012/06/five-tips-on-how-to-race-faste.html

Spareribs

That History Channel special on the Hatfields and McCoys was fantastic! Did anyone else get a chance to see it? We DVR'd it and finally got a chance to watch it last night. And to think that whole feud started over someone stealing a pig...

It's rare for me to like anything that Kevin Costner has been in (since Bull Durham, at least), but we did enjoy that series. I had a few quibbles with it -- mainly that it looked too much like a Western setting and feel -- but it was actually quite close to the historical facts. Of course they had to fictionalize the personalities to make an interesting show out of it, but at least they didn't warp things like HBO would do it.

After a great day with the CoolRunning Boomers in AA yesterday, I met up with another group of friends this bright, beautiful Michigan morning and did about 5.2 trail miles. We took one new section of single-track that was laid out by the mountain bikers a while back and it was a real blast! What looked to be about a quarter mile on the map was so twisty in reality that it was closer to a mile of trail by the time we came out of it. Overall it was very smooth and a nice, soft feel, and even at my running speed I was making use of the banking that had built up in the tight turns.

I hope that everyone's off to a good start to the work week. See you on the roads & trails!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Dave59

Nothing for me today.  I saw the nurse practitioner this morning and she is having me take medicine for gastritis for a month.  Then follow-up with the doctor at the appointment I already have scheduled.  Obviously I can call if symptoms get worse before then. 

I hope that's all it is.  I also hope to get up and run a little tomorrow.

Nice full moon last night.  Didn't see any werewolves though.

At Saturday's 4-mile race I noticed so many people who come to races unprepared to race, and I made one of those "5 tips on racing in the heat" posts.  Curious if any of you have additional ideas, or perhaps contrary ones:

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2012/06/five-tips-on-how-to-race-faste.html

Spareribs

Good stuff.  About the Gatorade, an additional observation is that heavy sweaters may need to take in some sodium.  Perhaps that's why many drink Gatorade without thinking about the effects of the sugar.  I would suggest they try an S-cap or similar supplement during a hard training run before the race, and if that works, then take one maybe a mile into the warmup.  I think this would be particularly useful for 8-10k races.  I've been doing this for years in summer relays, for example.

I'll be doing a little running in the heat after work with a sub-group of the running club.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Mariposai

Happy Monday to all. What a fun weekend of racing! 

dave59, good luck with your treatment. BTW, cool avatar picture! Annabel is adorable1

Great link and cool new avatar, stumpy!

Karin, it seems like your watch-less training is paying off! Great race yesterday. 

Spareribs, I will have to read that link tonight when I have time.

Me running this Morning? nope. I did not have to go to the office until later, so today was staying in PJ until 10 type of morning. Ohh it was so great!!

I will visit the gym for some XT and a few miles after work. I notice on my log today that I ran 56 miles this weekend..so I need to be gentle with this old body for a few day.  

Cheers!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Howdy Do -

Congrats to our racers over the weekend.  As always, thoroughly enjoyed SteveP's write-up of his antics with Tag and Noah.  Glad Tag at least got a pancake.

JLynne - We watched the mini series yesterday, too, and I really enjoyed it.  I'm a Kevin Costner (sorry, Roch) and Mare Winningham fan.  Didn't know the whole feud started with a pig, but interesting re how much of a blood bath it ended up being.  Now I'd like to read a book about the feud.

This morning was 4.55 heavy-legged miles, which included 4 x 100m strides.  Doggone, but my legs are tired!  I'm going to be taking it real easy this week.

Saturday evening we went to a Crabs baseball game.  I've told you before, but Shorty coached this team for about 14 years.  When the poo hit the fan last year, the news coverage talked about his being the former coach and showed footage of the games and photos of him in uniform.  He was devastated and wrote a letter of apology to board of directors.  Fast forward a year and this was his first game.  He was very nervous, but things couldn't have gone better.  A number of BOD members came up and hugged him, shook his hand, told them they were happy to see him.  It was really nice.  Then Sunday we went down to Singing Trees (rehab center) as one of "the gang" celebrated his 1 year sobriety birthday.  All in all, we had a great weekend.

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Saturday evening we went to a Crabs baseball game. 

We've got minor-league baseball around here, too. Trouble is, it's the Detroit Tigers!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

#artbydmcbride

We've got minor-league baseball around here, too. Trouble is, it's the Detroit Tigers!

Big grin

Runners run

Just popped in to mention something I figured out early this morning.  If you are going to commiserate with somebody about something make sure that somebody is actually adversely impacted by that something!  Otherwise you force the poor somebody to feign shared empathy!  Here is the story:

Yesterday when I met up with CNYrunner after the Iron Horse race the discussion turned at one point to the new qualifying times for guaranteed entry to the NYC Marathon.  They have gone way down and are now well out of my reach.  Of course, I said something like you had to be a near pro to make it in with the new times.  Yes, ever polite, CNYrunner in a sympathetic voice agreed.  Now, there is just one little detail here.  You see, CNYrunner is in fact a near pro runner!  One of the country's best in her AG.  This morning that little fact finally penetrated my thick skull and so I checked out my suspicions:  Her last half marathon time easily blew through the qualifying time with room to spare!  Roll eyes  So, I do want to thank CNYrunner for avoiding the condescension she could have easily heaped on me!  I also want to thank the universe for having let me get into and run the NY Marathon years ago under the old qualifying times so that my inability to do so again is but of academic concern to me!  Big grin

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

this caught my eye this morning.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2012/06/long_distance_running_and_evolution_why_humans_can_outrun_horses_but_can_t_jump_higher_than_cats_.html

Thanks Stumps.

Very interesting, informative article, especially about sweating in the animal kingdom. When I ran a full marathon from one high school to another one across town back in those days with my Lab/German Shepard mix, he seemed okay with it but it was a cool day with lots of creeks along the way.  However, even though it seemed like he had a good time, I now know a little better why he refused to get out of the car when we went back to the same parking lot for the first time a year later for the same marathon. Glad it wasn't in the middle of the winter though or he might have gone off for one the hundred milers with the sled dogs!

The cited Daniel Lieberman, Professor of Human Evolutionary Biology at Harvard University, is well-known to us barefoot runners. For the sake of my annual marathons since 1977, I’m lucky to have figured it out on my own since 1990 but, based on his research showing that the lesser impacts generated by running barefoot make for more comfortable running and fewer running-related injuries, Dr. Lieberman has ditched his trainers and started running barefoot too.

http://journals.lww.com/acsm-essr/Fulltext/2012/04000/What_We_Can_Learn_About_Running_from_Barefoot.3.aspx 

http://www.nature.com/news/2010/100126/full/news.2010.36.html '

eta nihiki-neko: in my dictionary, you are a super-pro too, and just as kind and thoughtful to the rest of us as CNY is too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)