Masters Running

Friday, National Thermal Engineering Day, the 24th (Read 34 times)

Sayhey! MM#130

I'll connect it to running, I promise, don't hurt me!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Sayhey! MM#130

OK, so we run outside, for the most part, and today is generally considered to be the hottest day of the year.   In addition, somehow this field is connected to electronics and again, most of are rather attached to those little watch gizmos we consider integral to our runs.   See article below.

National Thermal Engineer Day is held annually on July 24 as decreed by the Registrar at National Day Calendar in July, 2014.

Electronics thermal management is pivotal for their longevity and reliable operations; yet thermal engineers who make this possible receive little to no recognition.  Irrespective of the market sector, whether consumer electronics, large datacenters, or cutting-edge biomedical and aerospace electronics, without thermal engineer’s contributions, the electronics that are integral part of today’s life and the cornerstone of our nation’s technological advancement would not be possible.

<center>

ADVERTISEMENT

</center>

As a result, with the passion to understand and work with heat management, it seems fitting to have July 24th, which is recognized as one of the hottest day of the year, as Thermal Engineer Day.

CELEBRATE

Post on social media using #ThermalEngineerDay to encourage others to join in paying it forward.

HISTORY

National Thermal Engineer Day was submitted by Advanced Thermal Solutions, Inc., in July, 2014.   The Registrar at National Day Calendar declared National Thermal Engineer Day to be observed annually on July 24.

So instead of 6 tempo miles last night with Speedsters, I ran 3 warm up and 3 cool down miles and just stuck in 3 tempo miles in the middle at marathon pace.  SO 6 real easy this am. 

And Mike, it's the "Blister in the Sun" marathon in Tenn., a cousin to the Flying Monkey Marathon held in November.

We're having a fellow who ran the 1500 in the 2012 Olympics run in our local 5K tomorrow.  Feel the pain of the young men in age group? He's Sam Rodriguez.  He went to HS around here, where he ran a 4:03 mile.

Happy Weekends. 

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

ok - I am not sure I understand all of Aamos's post but Happy National Thermal Engineering Day  (i guess )

To me it is Happy 33rd Wedding Anniversary day!!

I know I've said it before but I will sit down and do a proper catch up real soon!!  Right now I am just super excited to have Enke join our Reach the Beach Team and I really hope we can coerce  convince one more of you to join our team!! 

Strong brick workout for me today since I have to work the next 3 days and won't be able to go long --- 30.3 miles on my bike followed by 7.2 mile run!!  After I stretch more and shower it's off to the chiro, then for a massage followed by dinner and maybe a movie with DH!!

HAPPY FRIDAY my friends!!

denise

King of PhotoShop

Leslie, we are all thinking of you, always.

Now about that foot joke, seriously, the only person in here that I would tell that joke to is TW. He has an outstanding sense of humor, and his witty response to it made my day.

Tet, I lifeguarded for many years and I can tell you with assurance that in the water, it is dangerous to have someone on your shoulders, so there are usually rules against it.  I worked in a deep water lake and we often had double rescues, which means a second lifeguard had to assist. People don't realize that two lifeguards in the water means an area of the beach that is not being watched while the two are in the water.

In your case, with your grandchild on your shoulders in a wading pool there is little danger, but of course once a rule is created, it has to be applied to everyone, but you did nothing wrong.

Now all that being said, there was no excuse for the lifeguard to be rude like that.  I worked in a state park, and we were watched very closely as to the way we spoke to the park patrons, always with respect, courtesy and an explanation.  The LG should not have spoken that way.

I think we'll race tomorrow, and so I did just 2.3 miles on a warm, sunny morning.  I'm home the rest of the day to keep an eye on Hudson, and I think Holly has the right idea with grilled cheese.  Or I could follow Mike's advice and make him that combo!  Spareribs

HermosaBoy

Deez -- that sounds like a solid day!!!

8 soupy miles for me in heat and humidity.  UGH!

Another interview today at 3:00 and the job offer came through yesterday.  A little less money than I was making but there are some intangible benefits.  We will see how the interview goes this afternoon.  I have to respond to the offer by 5:00 Monday.

Have a great weekend all!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Henrun

Deez, you're getting to be a powerhouse- keep it up.

Herm- hope the the job offers keep coming in.

Beautiful morning-low humidity and low 70's. Got in 7 along the Charles and through downtown Boston.

Looking forward to seeing my GD tomorrow am and her wonderful parents.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Deez -- that sounds like a solid day!!!

8 soupy miles for me in heat and humidity.  UGH!

Another interview today at 3:00 and the job offer came through yesterday.  A little less money than I was making but there are some intangible benefits.  We will see how the interview goes this afternoon.  I have to respond to the offer by 5:00 Monday.

Have a great weekend all!

Intangibles count for a lot.  I started my present job (after being laid off after 22 years) at less money, but some good intangibles.  after 11+ years they're still there AND the money has more than caught up.  We've been interviewing for a new EE the past few weeks and I will say, I'm very happy to be on the hiring side of the table.  I don't envy you at all.  Hope it all works out.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mariposai

Denise, I am so excited that you will finally meet our sistahh Enkie. She is so much fun to hang out with. I wish I could be there.

Good job on the 20 miler, Twocat. ohhh, and no underpasses report?

Leslie, thinking and praying for you dear friend.

Erika, how is the garden growing? I have cherries tomatoes, kale,and basil surplus.

Tamster, how are you doing? Miss ya.

Good luck with that interview today, Hermosaboy.

I decided to do some work from home today. The office is just too busy all the time for me to really concentrate on some issues, so staying at home where is quiet is a plus. Five miles up Kermel grade, about 3 miles with my rocking running partner. Smile miles, of course.

Good luck to all the weekend racers!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

HermosaBoy good luck with your decision.  I hope you land a second offer in time to use the two against each other to negotiate as good a deal as you can get.

Mariposai there is, alas, just one underpass on that route and I posted a picture of it last week.  Maybe overpasses next time!  There are several of those I have not shared here.  

AamosY well, happy Thermal Engineering Day then!

tomwhite I am thinking that carrying a sword might also work. 

evanflein maybe I am just the suspicious type but when you say "hills" is that like when wildchild says hills or like when those of us not living in the midst of lots of mountains that would make perfectly fine ski resorts say hills?  Why is that I suspect they are of the wildchild variety? 

Holly S. cute play on words!

Mike E sounds like you had a fascinating lunch yesterday!  How as the game? 

tetsujin209 I know weed is now effectively legal in Washington State, but if maybe you should cut back on it if you are so tired all the time.   I think the rule is crazy and the lifeguard unnecessarily aggressive, impolite, obnoxious, take your pick.

Nor running for me today, just an hour on the elliptical.  Tomorrow is the next crazy distance race in the series.  This one is 4.068 miles.  Yes, that is the official certified distance!

As deez4boyz noted we have one spot left on the relay team!  Come and get it!  Just send me an RA email and I can give you all of the details you want!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

...Wishing twocat Good Swordmanship.............we need pictures

========

..30-min poolrun.nb.deo

it's good exercise

but BOY is it getting Old

.............Pickles is out of town this week, so I may try a bikeride>>>>>>>what could possibly go wrong??

..good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

National Thermal Engineering Day? Really? Why can't it be "eat a big bowl of your favorite kind of ice cream day"? Just kidding - the heat and humidity here these last few days make this a legit day, I guess.

Hope Hudson came out of the dental surgery okay. I was going to suggest mac and cheese. What kid doesn't like that?

Nice workout Deez.

Don't you love Tet's posts?

Hope they can figure out what's causing your father's problems Leslie.

At least they gave you some time to think about the job, HermosaBoy. Good luck with that second interview.

Hi Marj! Hi Henry! When's the next trip?

Lots to comment on but not much time. 6 miles for me early this morning with "several" walk breaks in this heat and humidity. But it sure is nice to head out the door in shorts and a dry-wicking shirt instead of gloves, hat, hand warmers and lots of layers. Winter will be here soon enough. Right Twocat?

As many of you know, I lost my sister last year. Then her son, who was a really bad alcoholic passed away in January. Now her oldest son, who is also an alcoholic has just gone through 6 days of detox and is now in a rehab center for two weeks. I went to spend the morning with him and stayed for an Al-Anon meeting. They had a very powerful speaker - her father was an alcoholic and, continuing the pattern, she married one. Having so much of this in my family, I waited to talk with her after she was done speaking. I lost it. Just started crying and couldn't stop. She was so nice. I worry about my nephew. This is his third stint in rehab and I think if he doesn't sober up, we may lose him too. Thanks for "listening" and sorry to be such a downer today.

[[[ jylnne ]]]

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Henrun

Hi Marj! Hi Henry! When's the next trip?

2 weeks and counting

Sorry about your family- alcoholism is tough to beat-motivation is essential.

Marathon Maniac #957

{{{Jlynne}}}

4.4 miles for me today, followed by 30 minutes or so of weights and core.

Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

My own personal thermodynamic equation

1 Dark & Stormy

2 Blackened Fish Tacos

3 Frozen Mini-Snickers

Followed by a … 4 Mile run

Burp

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx