Masters Running

My first Marathon - Detroit! (Read 382 times)

Tramps

My daughter wondered if you needed to show a passport when you crossed into Canada - do they check ID at all? Otherwise seems like a loophole for terrorists to cross the border (OK, they'd have to be very fit, and couldn't carry anything bigger than a water bottle, but still... maybe homeland security should look into it?)
    Good point. I can't be the only person who refers to my Fuel Belt as my "suicide bomber belt." Can I?

Be safe. Be kind.

SteveP

Mary!!!!!!!!!!!! Your RR is sa-Weet!! What a wonderful event. You have a lot to be proud of. Thanks for the RR.

SteveP

Mariposai

Greatest Marathon report ever. It is obvious that you ran your first marathon from the heart. I am so PROUD of you Mary. See, I told ya...it only takes one 26.2 to get hooked at the distance. I LOVE your shirt.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

This was such a joy to read Mary! Fantastic Job and CONGRATULATIONS! I was so looking forward to this and you didn't disappoint. Savor the feeling and treat your body well as you recover. I find that the endorphin surge makes me want to plan out races and read running magaziens and do little else. You know how to celebrate right and enjoy the victory as well. I am sitting in my hotel room grinning. Go Mary the marathoner, Go! Karin
            wooooooooohoooooooooo MARY YOU ARE A MARATHONER!!!! niice job!! you ran a smart race and finished with a great time!! i was grinning and crying at the same time reading your report -- the crying was tears of joy for you!! what an accomplishment!! i hope you are bursting with pride for days to come!! as one of the secretaries i work with says to me: you ran a marathon - you can do anything!! Big grin Big grin

denise

huskydon

Mary, Congratulations! This is such a great achievement and you can be oh so proud of it. Your report was wonderful, full of spirit and emotion. Thanks for sharing with us. huskydon
                Well done, Mary! Great race report, too. Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Mary--GREAT JOB! It's also great to have a ton of supporters cheering you on! Start working on the next PR. Wink Tim C.

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

King of PhotoShop

I'm very proud of you Mary and happy you got this first one behind you. You are a real marathoner now. Spareribs
                    coastwalker

Hi Marathon Mary, Well, that was just wonderful! It was easy to tell the joy and pride you were feeling, just by reading your terrific RR. You've come a long way, and you've done incredibly well. It was very insightful of you stick with your own race plan, and not try to chase after Ashley, as so many would be tempted to do in that situation, especially in their first marathon. How great to have your own cheering squad meet you around the course, and how sweet that sign at the office the next day. Congratulations on a greta first marathon - what a wonderful memory you've created for yourself! Thanks for sharing your inspiring race story. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Top 'O the World!

CONGRATULATIONS MARY!!!!! WOO-HOO!!!! Wow!! Just WOW! (yeah, I'm still all emotional...& then I go n read YOUR rpt - I'm all teary eyed again!!!) ((((((((congratulatory hugs!!! Smile Smile Smile))))))
                        Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                        dg.

Mary, I can't believe you drove around for 1.5 hours looking for a restaurant.... you could have called me! Wink. (insider tip for spectators. give the runner your right cell phone number. amazing how much that could help)(or so I suspect) I'm so happy for you!!!! You did such a great job. All your training really paid off. You are such an encouragement. You must have been in full adrenaline flow.... high 40's? it was 28F! at least at 5:00. I think it warmed up a little..... I was worried about you freezing! Glad it felt like IRQ Smile I wa so happy to catch you at mile 13. You looked great & were running strong. My camera closes by itself & so I missed a picture. I do have one... I hesitated to post it because it is fuzzy, but it shows how well you were holding up, so I will anyway. This was right at mile 26, on John R, I think. I'd had the camera on a target with my zoom all set, but had to yell Go Mary!!! first & missed my chance. And then you wouldn't stand still, what's up with that?? Wink. Anyway, here you are. See how good you look if you overlook the fuzzy part? I saw a lot of people pass at that point... you were doing great. I already said this, but I'm so happy for you & very proud of you. WTG!!! another hug since I didn't get to give you one there.. {{{{{ }}}}} btw. Happy Birthday!!!
                            Nice goin', Mary. Two out of 3 ain't bad, and you were very close to batting 1,000. Congratulations on a big PR!
                            Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                              I am glad you had such a good time running your first marathon. Having a great support team like you did helps make the whole thing all that much better! Congratulations on your first of what will undoubtedly be many marathons to come.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Deb - I'm just running so fast that your camera shutter isn't fast enough!! Wow - I am speechless at all the replies to my report! I wish I could reply to each and every one of you - but instead you will all have to accepect a HUGE THANK YOU!!! (I'm not even sure how to spell huge anymore!) As for the border crossings - we had to show a passport or birth certificate along with a photo ID before we could get our race packets. There were lots of cops when we came out of the tunnel looking to make sure we had bib numbers. It was very kewl! Thanks again everyone! I'm printing this for my memory book!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                                It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com