Masters Running

Sunday August 31 Runs and Assorted Bad Behavior... (Read 499 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Tetsujin wrote:
    Holly - we'll be watchin' to see if you can get the daily goin' before the beers. Smile
    I didn’t think it would happen, but they’re probably running way more miles today than I did. Smile 15 easy-paced miles for me today in a lovely 60 degrees (ave pace 10:25). I had wanted to run 16, but this seemed like the right time to stop, and it was still 3 miles farther than last week’s LR, so it felt like progress. Off to church, then rhubarb crumble baking, then a gathering of friends and food tonight. Erika, you know my "no wine unless I've run 12 miles" rule.... Wink Good runs and holiday fun to everyone!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Off to church, then rhubarb crumble baking, then a gathering of friends and food tonight.
      ??? Where'd you get rhubarb in southern Ohio in August? Off for a long bike ride at workout pace in a few minutes. Good running to everyone today!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

DickyG

There's a story in today's paper concerning an 18th century witch named Anna Goeldi. Ms. Goeldi, Europe's last executed witch, was beheaded after she was accused of causing a girl to spit pins and convulse. In a startling turn of events, Goeldi was exonerated in Switzerland. A reporter tracked down members of her family, who are now residing in Ainer, South Carolina. Her great-grandson Leroy "Cooter" Goeldi, stated that "she was always a good girl until she started runnin' with the wrong crowd and got mixed up with that used broom salesman Vladimir Duke." Larry: Actually, Sarge dropped off the $5 for me but GrandaddyG always told me if it ain't bigger than and tenspot, just let it lay...so I left it for you. TomS: 7 miles @9:23? That's faster than usual, right? WTG... Bruce: Not only a top run, but H.S. reunion sounded great...I love those things..we're looking forward to our 50th in about 3 years. Still glued to the weather reports...#1 daughter called about 99 times yesterday...she is a nervous wreck about all her cronies down in New Orleans...2 refugees arrived yesterday and will be bunking in with her for a while. Tennis later this morning...then I'll probably just lay around and watch the tennis on TV...cup race tonight. Good running to all, especially those doing their long runs today. DickyG

Renee the dog

Well, my planned little chisler got all changed up when I opened my log last night and saw that there was one more day in August, and I had run 81 mi for the month. I don't think I've ever had a 90 mi month, so I decided it was time to have one. Got it done this morning. 1:29:28 and was home just as the coffee was finished brewing. Ahhh! Good timing on Mr Nono's part! Now we're packing up and heading to the airport hotel later today. Early morning flight to Disney World. Very neutral about going, but am looking forward to a week of just play and distraction. The few miles running I've planned for next week will all be treadmill as we're staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge which is like runniing hell from what I understand. Basically, nowhere to go outside. Sad Good running, rhubarb-eating, wine-drinking days to all!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Happy labor day weekend, everyone. 7.3 miles at a 9:43 pace this morning. IRC here - sunny, 60F and no wind, just a tad humid. The farmers are desperate for rain as we've only had half an inch all month. It's been great for running, though. Nonoruns - WTG on the 90 mile month! Disneyworld is not a runner friendly place. At least the two times we've stayed on the property, I couldn't find any decent routes without tons of traffic. After the stressful month you've had, maybe a week of kicking back wouldn't be such a bad thing??? Good luck. Holly - great 15 miler today! How's the injury? BTW, where DO you find rhubarb in August? Did you have some fozen from last spring? Roch - enjoy your long bike ride today. Hope it's a good, smooth one. Dicky G - you are a man of many sports! Running, golf, tennis...Do you play doubles, or are these all singles matches? DH and I are playing golf with 3 other couples this afternoon. The men always insist on teeing off first, then the wimmin wait while they look for their balls in the woods, ponder club selection, and just play slow. Women may not hit the ball as far, but we also don't lose as many either! Have a great Sunday, everyone. Jeanne
              Hurricane Gustav is nowhere near here - really it's miles off the west coast of Florida headed up the Gulf. But these things are BIG. Check out a satellite view sometime of the massive size. The real damage is done at the eye wall of course, but the weather for hundreds of miles around it are affected. So my run this morning was Gustav affected. 13 tough miles altogether in 2 hours. The first half I ran into the headwinds - probably 25 mph consitently and 35 mph gusts I'd guess. I averaged 9:35ish on this stretch and was working hard. Coming back was easier. I gained nearly a minute per mile but I was still wore out from pushing the headwinds earlier. But it's done. The "Assorted Bad Behavior" title is appropriate this morning. My 20 year old DS got a written order to appear for underage drinking. He was tailgating with friends after the UF foot ball game yesterday. I think since UF was recently voted #1 Party school the administration decided to crack down for the 1st game. He said they were going car-to-car checking everyone. I don't think this will be a big deal, probably mostly like a traffic ticket. But I'll be checking with some attorney friends to get their take on things (i.e. will it affect his scholarship, permanent record, etc.). I'll not give DS a lecture because he beats himself up for things like this more than I ever would lay it on. But it is a little worrisome. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Happy Labor Day weekend indeed. 8.5 easy paced miles for me this morning under deep blue skies and a warming sun. I threw in a few mailbox to mailbox striders to wake up the legs. All good. Earth, Wind and Fire playing in my ears all the way. DickyG---I am so glad I am not drinkng my coffee while reading the thread. I would be off to the Apple store for a keyboard replacement for sure. I wonder if that place in Switzerland is near where I was born (Stafa---outside Zurich...hmmm?) Scary times for Gulf Coast folks. two of my cousins left New Orleans yesterday and are on the way to my uncle's house in Bethesda, MD. Nonoruns--Disney is tough for running. The only time I have been able to get runs in was when we stayed at the Swan. There is a loop there that takes you near Epcot and by the Dolphin and around the Boardwalk. If you do it a few times you can get 5-6 miles in without traffic. I even used the Disney busses to get over there so I could run. Holly! 15 miles is awesome after all you have been through. I'll see you soon! The kiddo has hockey practice....yup, he's been back on the ice for two weeks now and games start in another two weeks. He was asked to play up this year (Bantam level) but we may not go that way. He is 12 and the Bantams (13-14) on this team are GIANTS. I am proud of him and yet feel no need to push him if he isn't ready. It may be another Pee Wee year and I am fine with that. It will feel good to be in the arena today as the humidity climbs. Twocat, I'll look for you tomorrow amidst the crowd in New Haven. Hi Henrun and Marj---I'll look for you as well! My goal is to beat the time I ran there a few years ago and have fun as always. Over and out Karin MTA: Hi Bill.....typing while you posted. Sorry about the legal stuff and the worrying. Good windy running.
                  Nice run Holly but even better was the way you stopped when you knew it was time, you've earned some wine. Smile Dicky when you asked for a loan you should have asked for something bigger than a 10 spot. I usually stop for quarters & more, today I picked up a utility knife & pliers off the road. One day DW & I were running 4 loops in the neighborhood, on 2nd loop I see a quarter which I didn't see on the 1st loop. I let it lay but plan on getting it next loop, and I do. Then on the 4 th loop there's 2 quarters where the 1st one was, I stop to pick them up when I hear a neighbor laughing. He just wanted to see if I would stop. I don't do rhubarb but I know Apple season is upon us & I love apples. 1st ones ready are Honey Crisp & they are sooo goood Big grin There will be several different varieties ready every week for the next 10 weeks. I have 5 major apple farms within 5 miles. Big grin Karin I'm with you on EW&F, September is one of myfavorite songs & months. Smile Almost forgot did 6.2 miles w/DW in 1:01:40 her best time ever on that course. I then did 2.5 in neighborhood for 8.7 miles in 1:25:40 total.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Hill Runner

Good morning all, Holly, nice run today! I went the whole month of August without a LR so I managed to get one in on the last day of the month... Big grin 18.03 miles of hills @ 9:22 pace on a warm day...not an easy run but I'm happy with it. This is one morning when I REALLY appreciated the pool...perfect water temperature besides. Good runs to everyone today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                    Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                    Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

King of PhotoShop

Boy was I tired this morning after that simple walk yesterday! But the Saint and I went out to the lake and I did 4 slow, while she ran 6 fairly briskly. We are getting breezes, no doubt related to the imminent arrival later this week of Gustav, so although it's humid out there, it's a pleasant day so far. Spareribs
                        I was also more tired than I realized after two days running/biking in a row, but managed to put in 20 miles at the metro park at a 15.2mph average with a 128 AHR, 152 MHR. So, a pretty good workout. I think tomorrow is a definite day off! Tongue

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning all (while I can still say it Smile ) taking a break from Labor day vacation to bring DD back from Maine so that she can work this morning and then head back up. beautiful day up there yesterday so did get back home till almost midnight, then up at 6 to get her to work at 7 and me out for a run. Then back up to Maine after 1 and hope the weather stays nice for a few more days. of course if I figured it out (which I won't), it would be cheaper to give DD the gas money that it cost to bring her back and stay up there. sort of glad she has a sense of dedication. My run was sort of a mixed bag--good at the beginning, sucky in the middle and finally a little satisfying at the end. not bad for only 4 miles, huh? started out by leaving my running watch up in Maine, so decided to do this untimed, as it was the first time back at my favorite hilly spot in several months. Of course, I still tried to start my wrist when I first got going Roll eyes first couple of miles felt good , but slow through the hilliest part of the course, then when i hit the flatter part I noticed that my feet were getting a little loud and then shins tightened up, so I stretched a little and plodded along to the parking lot. stretched again and decided to try a flatter loop out of there. everything cooperated and finished up feeling better. maybe too many hills as i did my route in Maine that involves a big hill that i ran down for the first time in ages (and it felt good) so I'll stay a little flatter for a while again. Bill-- "underage" drinking at 20 gives me ambivalent feelings, as i went through college when it was legal at 18. But it still is against the rules. Confused I'm guessing that he will have a large number of people joining him if they started proofing at a football tailgate. Hope it won't be too expensive a learning experience. I was hoping to do the 10K that Disney offers over Columbus day when we're down there, but i don't think where we're staying is too close to the start and they offer no transportation to get to the starting line. mostly because it starts at 6:30 and the regular buses don't start that early. a little frustrating, but if i had to walk/run 5 miles to get there, I'm done before the race even starts Shocked lots of good runs so far. Holly--your miles have shot right back up. and at a sensible pace, too. I could even keep up with you for almost half of that Wink

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

I didn’t think it would happen, but they’re probably running way more miles today than I did. Smile
                            Well, not so many miles more, but definitely ran later, and not getting around to posting until after the post run nap. Smile 17 miler in not so bad weather -- it was a little warm but the humidity was down to 70% so 77° didn't feel too bad at the end. Still it did wipe me out. 17.2 miles, 2:32, 8:53/mi, AHR 150. My opinion is that they should change the drinking age back to 18 or 19 -- they're gonna drink anyway.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Dave59

Rest day today. A few runs ago, I began with the full intentions of slogging through another carpy run. Part way through I got to thinking about the foot strike discussion on the forum and notice I was slightly back on my heels. I concentrated on a very slight adjustment to land further up on my foot. (Hard to describe in words because it wasn't a major change. It's not like I was banging down on my heels.) The next couple runs were much better than they've been in a long time, especially yesterday's. I also had to speed up because it's hard to land softly on my mid-foot going as slow as I was. (That was another forum discussion about going faster feeling easier.) I'm a lot less sore today than usual after running hard for 8 miles which I attribute to the smoother landing. I've been running for a long time and should know better, but I guess anyone can slide into bad/lazy habits.

Here I am. I didn't have the energy to post before my shower and nap. I started my long run out very slowly this morning, hoping to gain momentum after the initial miles. Never happened. 18.4 miles in 3:34:34. 11:39 pace. I'm very happy that tomorrow is a holiday. Running at Disney World can be tough, especially when you're on your feet all day having fun, and it's so stinking hot. I vote for a an easy week for nono.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason