Masters Running

What do I need to expect from Physical Therapy?? (Read 308 times)

dg.

tw I agree with Ribs (I have to, just look at his results!  : )  )  ... unless what you're doing is hurting, then I'd check with the PT.  It can take them a while to really get to know what works for you.   Mine have always been available by e-mail for questions.    I've had 2 or 3 instances where my PT has recommended things that made either the part that was being treated, or a different part, worse.    Most often it was because they didn't realize how easily my SI joint went out.. things that were supposed to strengthen it or something else made it wonky again.     Once  I had Nurse Ratched & she told me to do things for my hamstrings (treading delicately here) that I registered at a pain level of 9.   She asked, I told her, then she said to do them in 3 different positions.     Another PT place knew her well, said it was good I'd escaped ; ).                 Otherwise it is really excellent and needed advice, because even when the exercises are good I find I have a hard time making myself do them.   That's really counterproductive.    Being faithful about them is the best way to get the benefits from this.   (note to self.   dig out my old pt exercises!) 

Arla...  I've had a nagging SI issue for 15 years, and finally figured out part of the problem is that the ligaments are loose.  The joint goes 'out' gets locked, and everything remains inflamed and irritated.   I've been having prolotherapy treatments, 3 so far, and I think this is really going to help,  fwiw.   Good luck!

...thanks dg//.........I think I got Nurse Rachet's Son this morning....

he had

me lie prone  and brought my leg up behind me til it hurt like hell,

and I TOLD him it hurt like hell

luckily

my Usual PT is back next week

.........good info, will ask her about the email idea

GoodLuck with the prolo

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Hey there dg, my wonky-SI sister! Sorry to hear you're still having issues with it all, and hope the prolotherapy works for you. I finally got my SI back in place and I've learned how to keep it there. How, you ask? By avoiding doing yoga, of all things. Or only doing things one-sided, how I feel I need it, to keep things symmetrical. And oh yeah, by only running. Smile Hope you find your symmetry soon!

#artbydmcbride

........//............

Nurse Ratchett's illegitimate son again?

Runners run

Nurse Ratchett's illegitimate son again?

.....just trying not to be Bitter about it.......Evil

( For the Record

he also

didn't try to Tickle Me)

Queen of 3rd Place

dg - fortunately, after being thoroughly examined by the PT, he thinks the joint isn't "out", but rather that it's more of a muscle tightness and weakness problem, and I end up holding my pelvis at a slightly wonky angle. The bad news is, yeah, I definitely have my homework to do in the stretching and hanging out with the foam roller department. 

OM - some of the things he's having me do are yoga poses: cobra interspersed with child, and sort of a modified pigeon pose. What yoga moves made your SI problem worse? 

Ex runner

OrangeMat

MM #6177

My specific issue is that I'm hypermobile. Recent visit to the orthopedist for my wrist reconfirmed it: upon looking at my xray, the doc said "you have a lot of space in your wrist". I'm also strong, so my muscles pull the joints apart because the ligaments can only hold things together so much. Picture Tinkertoy rods plugged into the connectors only partially; the whole construction is kinda rickety, right? So any pose that is asymmetric (like lunge, pigeon, warrior, even sidebending and twisting) will be potentially dangerous for me. The harder I try to engage my muscles to hold things together, the more havoc I could potentially wreak. Sure, the style of yoga that I finally found that suits me (Anusara) teaches to plug the bones into their sockets (exactly that Tinkertoy analogy), like pulling your thigh bone into your hip, but then going further up the kinetic chain (i.e. the sacrum) is where weakness happens. Meaning, you have physical control of how you engage your arm and leg bones and joints, but not at your sacrum. Hope that all made sense.

So I've finally learned I can't risk going to a traditional class too often. Actually, I've found I'm better off keeping my muscles a bit more deconditioned, that it's healthier for me that way to avoid the constant shoulder and hip sprains. If I practice on my own, I mostly stick to symmetric poses: downward dog, plank, standing forward bend. Or I only do one side of an asymmetric pose to make me feel balanced. And of course the ultimate in symmetric activity suits me best: running. Smile