Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run - July (Read 18 times)

"The sky is not my limit . . . I am." (T.F. Hodge)

I'm back.  Had a great time at WS!!! of course.  Posted a brief report.

Managed 22 miles this week  - 4 miles of hill repeats on Wed, 6 steady rolling up and down miles at Headwaters on Thurs, and 12 more out at Headwaters (lots of climbing) today.  I'm still having some issues, so am going to go back to PT and see what can be done before I lose my medical insurance.

Sounds like I have the temp job, but no medical insurance unless it becomes permanent, so I applied for a couple of more positions - one with the City of Arcata and one with the City of Ferndale.  So far I've sent in 5 or 6 applications, but they just haven't gotten around to calling applicants yet.

That's about it for now.  Hope you all had a great 4th ~

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - I will look for your WS report! Thanks! Four miles of hill repeats....yowza. What kind of issues, is it your foot again? You might want to ask your MD for as long a prescription as possible for PT, mine was willing to do that for me (less frequent but longer-term prescription). Glad to hear you're getting some bites on employment, the medical insurance issue is about to become a lot more sticky and expensive for all of us, I'm guessing, as "Obamacare" phases in (not making a political statement here, just noting that things seem uncertain).  I hope I'm wrong!

Hi to everyone else and I hope you're all staying as cool as possible. Some scary hot weather out there, including during WS.

Finally succumbed to the lure of the treadmill, following many days of triple-digit highs (110+) and hot (80s) overnight lows. Fortunately, a local gym had a "One Week Free" offer so I've been taking advantage of that. Looks like the high overnight lows are breaking now. Did my long run at the coast yesterday (highs in the low 60s and overcast), but it's almost 5 hours of driving round-trip and I can't do that all the time. Then, my friend Jim called to say that training to BQ was putting a strain on his marriage, so he's out on our August race. Overall, with my back injury, foot abscess, wimping out in the heat, and losing one of the Three Musketeers, it looks like a BQ attempt before September is out. HOWEVER, a NYC marathon qualifier is still a possibility this fall, turns out their qualifying times if you do it with a HM attempt are within reach. Smile

Ex runner

Arla - Sometimes the pieces of the puzzle just don't fall in place like we hope.  You'll get your BQ.  If not in August, then another race.  NYC is another race that you have to qualify for?  So that ended up being a full on abscess?  How'd that happen?  Bug bite gone wrong?  (questions, questions, questions).

45 min of core/strength training with the TRX this a.m., with extra core using the stability ball.  My gut muscles are pleasantly tired. Approve

I've been thinking about selling the Bowflex that never gets used, the saving up my dinero to buy a treadmill for the winter months when it's pouring down rain.  I also want to try and get away from running on the road much, and I recently read an article that said a treadmill is an excellent tool for training to run hills since you can set the incline and just go without having to go up and down, up and down.  Not sure if getting a treadmill will ever be in the cards, depending on how expensive they are, but something to consider.  It wouldn't be a new one, obviously, but would maybe could find a gently (i.e. never) used used one.

We'll see . . . .

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Approximately 4 miles after work this evening.  Approximate because I forgot my Garmin and out at the McKay, I know the .30, .65, .85, 3.0, and 6.0 mile marks.  And since the gate was open and we're not suppose to go through when the gate is open, well that screwed everything up, so it as a guesstimate.  Plus I had to avail myself of the bushes 2x AND I forgot my inhaler, which created all kinds of havoc.  So it was a very slow "4" miles, and I stopped and pilfered blueberries from the grounds of a rival law office. Big grin

I'm so sore from my workout yesterday.  I sneezed a couple of times today and my stomach muscles were like Shocked.  Guess it was a solid strength training workout.

Speaking of rival law office - I got a job!!  It's the temp position, but I'm confident that once they get me in there, they'll realize how wonderful I am and won't want to let me go. Approve

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Great news on the job, Leslie!!! I looked around for a treadmill a little bit when this heat wave hit and they are pricey things.

NYC has several mechanisms for getting in: charity, be a member of their club and do a minimum number of their events, lottery, and qualifying. The qualifying standards if you run a full marathon are actually tougher than Boston (3:49 vs. 4:00 for me), however you can run a half marathon qualifier as well, for me it's 1:48:30 and my half PR is 1:46-something, although that was 3 years ago and I'm not getting any faster.

Oh, and yes, foot abcess. Doc had to numb it up and slice it open, but the relief was almost instant. Now I have another one on my butt (!!), doc thinks it's MRSA so I'm on two types of antibiotics and soaking in epsom baths so it drains. Doc says MRSA because, well, let's just say there's plenty of drainage. Have no idea why this is happening to me, but I think it's just bad luck with the first being a bug bite that went wrong and the other being a little bit of butt acne (something I get every summer) gone wrong. Probably tmi... Dead

Tempo intervals on the treadmill yesterday, the last day of my week-long free pass. So it was up and at 'em for 6 miles at 5 am today. I HATE running at 5 am!

Ex runner

Butt Acne - I can relate. Big grin  But goodness sakes!  You seem to be taking the whole acne thing a little too far. Wink  But a good reason to sit, soak, and relax.

I have to admit, I'm liking running after work. 3x a week, I get up around 5:00 to do my ST/core, but on the days I run, I'm running after work so as to not run on the pavement, so I don't get up 'til 6:30.  After almost 8 years of up at 4:30 a.m.most weekday mornings, I'm liking this new schedule!

1 hour of TRX-ing and core work on the stability ball.  My stomach muscles are sore!!  That band of muscles right under your belly button - every time I sneeze - ouch!  But it's a good ouch.

Going on a 5-mike hike this evening with a group from church.  Hopefully the weather will be nice and I can get some good photos to share.

Later ~

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Hi Guys

Been slacking off big time on my social media responsibilities but getting the runs done.

Sorry  to hear that you two are having issues, but I'm sure you'll both find a way to motor through them.

We have been dealing with mid 90's heat plus the humidity, so I feel for you Arla. Sometimes, the treadmill does makes sense. My most recent treadmill experiences have been when I get home from work and it's thunder storming, to go to the gym. I run the tm until the storm passes then go back outside. I am extremely lucky to be able to douse my head in the showers along the boardwalk. Plus, it's almost always cooler right at the ocean than even a couple of blocks inland. I am trying to become a morning runner, but it's not in my blood either.

Running a 5 mile race this Saturday but keeping my eyes on the prize at the NYC marathon in the fall.

Keep at it!

C ya's

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - you are hardcore. I got up once this week at 4:30 and once at 6:00 and was feeling all kinds of sorry for myself. Roll eyes

Joe - hey there, stranger! You're smart to use the TM when storms roll through. Good luck on your 5-miler, that will be a good workout for your marathon. What's your goal at NY?

Speaking of NY, looks like we'll salvage something out of Santa Rosa after all, Jim and Sue agreed we should all run the half and try to qualify for NY. My HM PR is faster than the NY qualifying standard by a couple minutes, but that was three years ago and I ain't gettin' faster.

Off on my annual motorcycle trip, this time just up to Salem, OR, a nice easy ride. I had to laugh at my packing job, most of it was running stuff!

Ex runner

Have fun, Arla!!!!!!

I was suppose to run 14-15 today, but I realized about halfway into it, it wasn't gonna happen.  I eeked out 12 on very tired legs.  Guess ye ole bod isn't used to running 3 days in a row.  Makes me feel like such a weenie!  Spent another 4 hours at work getting through the bookkeeping and trying to figure out how I'm going to get my cases in a state for me to leave by Friday.  Ugh!  I foresee some extra hours this next week, but that's okay.  I can't leave my co-workers/friends hanging.  The part that's really said for me, both of my co-workers are on vacation this week, so I don't even get to work with them my last week. Cry

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Wow!  It's been very quiet in here . . . .

The 13th was the last time I posted.  Since then, I did some speed work, did a bike/hike/run on Wednesday that nearly killed me (a separate non-essential reading thread was posted), 4 EZ miles on Friday, and 15 tired legged miles on Saturday.

Wednesday's bike/hike/run kicked my rear a bit.  Unfortunately, where I run extended miles at the McKay Tract, Green Diamond has gone back in and busted the logging roads again for over a mile of what was a really pretty section and have been logging for the last three weeks.  I don't have a problem with the logging - it's their property.  But shoot, that sure was a pretty section for awhile.  They were trucking logs in and out on Saturday, so I stopped and asked if I could continue to run.  Yeah, just listen for the trucks.  They're coming through about every 15-20 minutes.  I only had to get out of the way for 3 (2 coming in, 1 going out), so it wasn't bad.  And yes, I stepped WAY off the road.  But I probably should find someplace else for awhile.  Shoot.

Today I started my  new job.  It's a weird feeling not knowing what you're doing.  My first task is to go through the large number of files that have been stuffed on the shelves and see what my predecessor did with them.  LOTS of filing that wasn't kept up for months on end.  This place is a frigging disorganized mess.  Hopefully I can inject some semblance of organization, but it's gonna take awhile. Undecided

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

I think it is about my turn to get a post in, I been keeping up with my smart phone or the IPAD but hard to post from. Anyway I have got 3 or 4 solid 20+ mile weeks and a ten miler yesterday. Probably been early spring since I had been double digit on a run. Finally catching up a bit here on the farm and making time to get out there. Lynda did the local 5 k on the Fourth of July, but my heart hasn't been in it since I lost my dad as he was always there either walking the 1 mile or supporting us. Chase County Fair has a 5k and 10 k in about a month and the RD Jonathan B has been razzing me a bit about my lack of racing this summer so maybe I can get in racing shape and redeem myself.

Joe good to hear you are getting the miles in despite the East Coast heat wave. Saw a piece on TV with gov Christie walking on the rebuilt boardwalk, looked pretty awesome although I know lots of damage yet to be rebuilt not far. Hope your race went well and you can finally get your shot at NYC.

Speaking of NYC hope you get in also Arla. Sounds like a run of bad luck with injuries and such, just keep doing the right things and this too shall pass. If I had your summer heat to deal with I might have to ante up for a summer gym membership. Don't know if you read my friend Ed's report of our Otis summit but I could sure relate to your high altitude race. I got to Estes about 8k feet about 8 pm, took til midnight to get to bed and was at 12,400 feet by noon the next day and I was suffering big-time. I forgot my GU's but downed a Gatorade on the summit and the downhill was a slog and a posthole fest when we got in the softer snow on the way down. It has served as a motivator to get me in better shape. Stay safe on the bike.

Leslie congrats on the new job, Sounds like you will make yourself indispensable getting them all organized etc. Hope it turns out to be to your liking and can go full time with benefits. My mother was a legal secretary for years, after all us kids left she went partime at the county Judges office. She liked that a lot, really good hours and it kept her up with the world. Bummer about the truck traffic on the logging road, kinda like here at harvest. If I go early I can beat the truck traffic but don't know if that is an option there. I'm with Arla to see if you can get an extended scrip on the PT, but understand that might be tough if you don't have insur and have to self pay all.

Neighbor we did some farming for this spring that had the heart valve replaced has made a striking recovery and is able to do most all the things we were doing for him. We are still watching one irrigation system for him but he checks in on it from time to time. With the end of wheat harvest things have slowed some. Every year brings new challenges but this one has been one for the books as far as busy goes. So now we irrigate corn and pinto beans, haul off the last of the 2012 corn  and clean up and fix up.

End of wheat harvest 8pm last fri night. The tall white concrete towers in the background is the local grain elevator (some would call them silos but they hold grain not silage :-) ).

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Good to hear from you, Jim.  Glad you're able to get some running done.

It was 30 min of core/UB strength training this morning.  It'll be 6 miles tonight with 2 speedy miles in the middle.  The term "speedy" is used quite loosely.

I'm still digging away at the mess that is this office.  Every minute I spend digging through the piles and files makes me appreciate all the more what I learned at my previous job.  As I clean files up, I will be incorporating some of what I learned over there.  We'll see how it all flies.

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Tuesday night's speed work went well.  I was very surprised to find that my two fast miles were only a couple of seconds off each other for average pace.  . . . . . my last mile reflect some stopping for berry picking/eating. Big grin

Last night it was 5 EZ miles at the McKay.  A Green Diamond worker, on his way out of that area, stopped and told me they were going to be logging in that section beginning next week.  Sad  Guess I'll be running out at Headwaters for awhile, if that's the case.

Today was about 40 min of TRX-ing.

Was dreaming last night that I smelled a skunk really bad.  Finally woke up and it was reality.  He/She/They like to traverse on the side of the house below our open bathroom window, and the smell wafts right into our bedroom.  Almost made me sick to my stomach, it was so strong.  Still there this morning in my workout shed, and very strong along the far side it.  Guess I've figured out the total trail. Roll eyes

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Hey I'm back!

Travel, medical issues (small but annoying), record heat, and general "I don't feel like doing this" made for a light summer in terms of mileage. Ran a couple half marathons under 2 hrs but was trashed from that. So now it's back to just logging some easy miles. Glad to be back. The mornings are cool enough, although I hate running in the am it's just the only choice now. I don't know about global warming but Fresno warming is real and the ol' bod just isn't coping as well as I'd like with the heat. 111, 112...forget it...

Jim - sounds like you had an amazing and tough high elevation trip. One thing to say: diamox. I know it's cheating but my understanding is that it just regulates your pH, and I can say that climbing Whitney (14,500 or so) I felt physically great. Just know that you can't have carbonate beverages but only because they'll taste flat.

Leslie - hope you're settling into the new job. And the skunk story - heh.

Ex runner