Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run - w/e 06/12 (Read 553 times)

Lesli, you win half of the grand prize. 

The second tune may be a bit more obscure.....

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Queen of 3rd Place

Not obscure at all! Jimmy Buffett - Come Monday:

Heading out to San Francisco
      For the Labor Day weekend show
      I got my Hush Puppies on
      I guess I never was meant for glitter rock and roll

Ex runner

Nice get, Arla.

And the Grand Prize is . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

jfa

I'm looking forward to seeing the very diverse crowd that is San Francisco. But no flowers on me please....Blush

Jim- Good luck this weekend with your race. It certainly looks unique. And somewhat scary too.

Leslie- get that single crutch thang down.

Arla- nope, no snow shoes and I normally carry a water bottle in my hand unless I stick to the boardwalk where there's showers and fountains.

Easy 6er tonight, still dealing with high H + H here. Bleck.

Top 'O the World!

** waving from beautiful Valentine, NE**

too much going on just now to do any more than read...

need a nap before the morning's group run.....

caught Jimmy Buffet on the first round but didn't have time to look up which....couldn't dial the other at all...

nice chat w/the R2 folks @ dinner & after....plan to see them again sometime tomorrow Smile

we're running somewhere near here:

...but on a small road Wink

Laters....

MtnPeeps

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Well, those pictures suck.  You won't enjoy that run at all.  Nope, not at all.

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Gee.....did I say something about a grand prize.  No prize.   I must have lied mispoke.  But thanks for playing the game, it was fun!  You all know your tunes.

I had the afternoon off yesterday and sodded/sprigged the front yard.  Then got in a 3spot late in the afternoon.  I was beat by days end and I think the heat got to me a bit.  But I'm back to a million and change this morning. 

Mtn, looks like a perfect place for a run.  Is this the sandhill race that farmer has been talking about?

Enjoy!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                  I'm back to a million and change this morning. 

Enjoy!

Nice!  And will do. Cool

Off to help Karen move this a.m.  The foot is feeling really good this morning after walking on it - albeit slowly - part of the day yesterday.  fingers crossed, fingers crossed.

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Yep, Ev - it was the 5th annual Sandhills Marathon & Half Marathon.  Good times were had by all (at least, I believe so!) Small group on a small cut-off road in the NE sandhills. Heavy early morning fog made for a fun start - well, almost half, of the race. Awards were engraved horseshoes for halfers & spurs for fullers. Pretty kewl!  I shaved a bit more off my best marathon time. Doug was right in there close to his best. I believe Jim & Lynda improved theirs by a bit as well.

more later....pretty tyred from all the "partying!" Wink

C

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

great news about the foot, Lesli.  I bet you'll be seeing marked improvement evry day.

Mtn....nice work on the race and tell Doug I said "Hey" and "Congrats!"   Were the horseshoes and spurs finisher awards or placing awards?  Either way that's pretty cool.

Well, I didn't like the way the sod job looked, so I began to redo it yestrday.  It'll take a couple days (at my pace) to get it done, but I'm sure to be much happier with the results.  It was nice a cool yesterday with a good bit bit of humidity.  A small thundrstorm went through yesterday morning and then another in the middle of the aftrnoon.  Went for a 3 spot and then back home relaxing with the LMD in the backyard when the phone rang.  It was Mom saying there was a tornado bearing down on us. 

LMD and I had been enjoying the thunder/lightning, but did not even consider the possibility of a tornado.  Which is pretty stupid if you stop and think about it.  Anyway I checked radar and sure enough there was a menacing storm about 20 miles away heading our direction.  So we went ovr to Mom's and storm watched from her house.  By the time the storm reached WW it had been downgraded to severe thunderstorm and we just ended up getting a bunch of heavy rain.  Well the rain itself wasn't heavy, there was just a lot of it.  But I guess if you containerized all of it, it would be pretty heavy...nevrmind.

Anyway no tornado evr materialized in this storm although some places had large hail, minor wind damage and strong winds knocked powr out to some of the smaller communities.  Very fortunate for the relatively minor experience.  We needed the rain desperately. 

It's the backside folks....you know what to do.

Enjoy!

Ev - With all the tornadoes the last few weeks, that must've been a bit unnerving.  The thought of being anywhere near one of those things scares the crap out of me.  Have fun with relaying the sod.  Are you able to just lift up what you previously put in?

I desperately need to workout today, but I slept in, am feeling extremely groggy, and am trying to find my brain.  I'd also like to know what the hell happened to my hair overnight.  Good lord!  Shocked

MTA: 1 hr of stationary cycling whilst watching "Run for the Soul," a DVD on the Western States 100-Mile Endurance Run.  Made me work harder . . . and makes a person think . . .   Also did about 5 min of core.

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Just got back home and tired so will keep this short, fun times at Sandhills. I got a new pr by about 9 minutes @ 2:06/9:36MM, Lynda pr'd also by about 10 minutes. Garmin had the course @13.13 so a legit PR :-)!

Incredible experience, lucked out with a cool morning and just a slight head/crosswind on a scenic course with a great group of runners, including a few Marathon Maniacs and fifty staters. Started slow with the first mile right @10 then warmed into it and held steady splits most of the way then last 3.1 @ 9:27,9:25,8:42 and .13 in 8:12 with a little finish sprint. Very Happy with it all!

Had a fun time at the pre race pasta feed and steak fry after party with the Mtn peeps and some new friends, lot'sa laughs, good food and beverage. This morning Mtn Chhk did her majic working out some post race kinks with her massage skills on Lynda and I, then we all took a short recovery hike to Smith Falls on the Niobrara river north of town had a bit of lunch then headed south for home.

http://sandhillsmarathon.com/gallery

Smith Falls

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Congratulations, Jim and Lynda!!!!! Cool

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Congrats to everyone on their HM performances! Sounds like PRs for Jim, Lynda and Cindy!! Very nice! Good to have fellow runners who can do massage Big grin  I had no idea there were such beautiful spots in the Sandhills area.

Ev - that is a terrifying story. I'm with Leslie, the thought of a tornado completely freaks me out. Nice running with cross-training, I assume hefting sod around is a pretty physical job.

Leslie - great news on the foot! Are you toying with the idea, just a little bit, of going for 100 some day? The running all night thing and maybe hallucinating is scary! I think you could do it, though.

Looking at a taperish week, and then after Grandma's, starting a new "serious" training cycle for Chicago. Plan to add some weights in the mix, and got my little weight set ready and workouts planned. The running will be another round of Jack Daniels (hee). We'll see how it goes, there are only 15 weeks between Grandma's and Chicago, and that Chicago weather is iffy, as Joe knows all too well! On the other hand, as I mentioned earlier, I am on a very low dose of testosterone (among other things - oh the joys of getting older), which the doc tells me will have a side effect of my athletic performance, so I figure might as well go for it since this is probably for just a few months. I had to laugh when he said it was an injection rather than a pill, reminded me of all the news reports of athletes on performance-enhancing drugs.  Am I a cheater? Joking

Ex runner

Run for the Soul....I'll have to check that out.  Did you evr figure out what happened to your hair?

Congrats Jim and Lynda on a great time and a great time. 

Arla,  I don't want to downplay tornadic weather....but my tornado storm story and our precautions are nearly routine around these parts.  We do this excercise at least a couple times a year.  I don't know what other states have, but I'd be willing to bet Oklahoma has the best preparedness program in the country.  Our weather guys do a fantastic job with warnings and second by second coverage of these storms.  This type of weather coverage by our news/weather folks is nearly invaluable. 

Good luck Arla with this training cycle.  I need to get on the weights also.  LMD keeps telling me it will help my performance.....in the marathon.....I think she's right. 

Where's Stumpy?

I got in a 5spot yestrday morning.  And by 6 pm I finished up with the sod.  It was not heavy, just up and down and on my knees and up and down.  I'm glad its done....now I really excited to see it take hold and green up.  The things we do for a so called "nice" lawn.  I envy the folks who prefer the natural look.  I guess I could be one of those folks.