Masters Running

The weighting is over!!!! (Read 413 times)

evanflein

Holly, everything you would ever want to know is here...

As usual, I'm a little late. This was one of my favorites from last year and they're sold out. Rats.

Up here, we can get early potatoes in August, but I usually wait till after Labor day to dig most of them up. And I try to pull off the flowers as they appear, sort of like detassling corn, I guess.

Prince of Fatness

So how do you start them? 

From Erika's link....

As an average, in 1 pound of seed potatoes, you will receive from 5 to 8 tubers. You can plant all the tubers whole. Or, to get more plants, you can cut a few of the larger ones so that you have at least one eye on each piece. In the picture below, you will see how to make 5 seed potatoes into 10. Use a multiple of 10 to figure out how many pounds you need. Figure 1 lb will plant 10 feet, 2 lbs will plant 20 feet, 3 lbs will plant 30 feet, and so on.

I never did the math but that sure sounds about right.  Because I get them locally I get to pick them out, so I get small ones.  I am lazy and would rather plant them whole.  This year there weren't many small ones so I had to cut many in half. 

I plop them each in a hole a few inches down.  Done.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Up here, we can get early potatoes in August, but I usually wait till after Labor day to dig most of them up.

Here I get early ones in late June, and I am usually done with them all around early August.

Not at it at all. 

Marathon Maniac #957

I think I'll check with our local garden center and get a few.  I don't have much room, just a small plot that I wrap a rabbit fence around so the dogs won't dig them up (and to keep the rabbits out, I guess, although I think Daisy dog is more of a danger).  Usually I just plant some tomatoes there, but it would be nice to do half-and-half of something else.  I'm also thinking of planting some rasberries along my backyard fence (wrapping a careful semicircle of rabbit fence around those, too).

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

Holly, You may be able to grow taters and maters in the same spot. http://www.ehow.com/how_6397187_graft-potato-tomato-plant-together.html .

I have not tried it myself. There are catalogs that sell the two already grafted.

SteveP

...intially thought erika was talking about Being Out of Rats..

...........now THAT'll keep you on a Diet

=======

176........apparently my body likes 176

I must

Bend it To My Will/////

new goal 175.8

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

5 Miller Lites and a half-basket of chicken strips and fries at the comedy club last night probably set me back a week or so.....

(sigh)

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

140.4 - the hard way (crutches and stress)

Will definitely look into growing potatoes and tomatoes.  And maybe garlic and onions.  We can probably put the tomatoes in buckets.  The side of our house gets tons of sun/heat during the spring/summer.  Perfect spot.

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

SteveP

5 Miller Lites and a half-basket of chicken strips and fries at the comedy club last night probably set me back a week or so.....

(sigh)

Nah, don't worry 'bout it. Calories are the little bastards that get into your wardrobe at night and sew your clothes tighter. My wardrobe is infested with the buggers. AIn't got anything to do with the food and booze.

SteveP