Masters Running

Mondaily, 11.27.23 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

As much as I'd like to comment on a lot of yesterday's posts, I have a meeting starting in about 20 minutes, so there is no time today.

After a decent night's sleep, I was up at 4:30 and did 50 minutes of stretching, knee exercises, and core work. I'm surprised at the difference after not having done anything for most of the last week. Hopefully. it'll just take me another day to ketchup.

Have a greta Monday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks, Jay.  It sounds like you are doing better.

A bit of a tragedy with the Vanderbilt basketball team.  Sophomore player arrested early yesterday for assault/strangulation of an ex-girlfriend in her dorm room.  We don't know more than that - he's suspended from the team, obviously- but it will have to play out in the legal system.  He is from the Dallas area and went to one of the top prep schools.  He's really big.  I'm just sick about it, but I've seen other young men in these situations where it turned out not to be quite what it looked like at first.  We shall see.

5.6 sunny, 33 degree miles for me this morning.  I did pretty well.  Getting a few Christmas decorations out but it seems early....

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dave59

Nice hard kettlebell workout this morning. Got the heart rate up.

Now, I'm watching the snow fall at our Michigan place on a webcam while working here in WV. Wish I was up there in person.

I started perusing the weekend posts, then had to go back and see what the heck happened with Jay.    Suffice to say we are all beyond happy you are okay.

Yesterday I decided to pull myself out of my usually holiday funk (I have a hard time with the holidays) and announced at 1:00 that we were getting the decorations out of the attic.  While I was up there, I crawled to the back of the attic where the heater is conveniently () located to pull the filter so it could be replaced.  I have to crab walk/crawl on the ceiling joists and try not to slip and fall through the ceiling.  I got to do that twice.  So between that and shoving heavy boxes around and lifting them down to The Hub, my back was toast by the time we were done.  Anyway, we put lights on the plants and put other ornaments around the house and it looks halfway festive.

This morning it was 50 min of core/ST/stretching in my very chilly shed.  34 degrees. Thankfully, my little heater does a decent job of heating things up.

Now I need to go cobble together an order because apparently the clerk's office can't fulfill a copy request via their "handy and convenient" link they want you to use. 

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

nice work-out fatozzig//...............sounds like you're feeling better

==============

32-windchill, sunny, windy

..45-min at citypark,,,,,,,,,,,trailboots

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Leslie - your heater is in the attic?

I was a bit stiff today from my weights workout yesterday, so I decided to go back to bed for another hour after DH left for work.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Jay, I'm glad to see that you're somewhat back to normal today.

Yesterday I decided to pull myself out of my usually holiday funk (I have a hard time with the holidays)

Leslie, you and my DW would hit it off with each other quite well... 

Dave, my friend's granddaughter left here yesterday at noon to drive back up to Michigan Tech. Normally leaving at noon would put her arrival in Houghton about 10PM but I'm sure she was quite a bit later than that! It gave me flashbacks to 1975 when I drove back here from Cincinnati on the Sunday after Thanksgiving and ended up stuck on I-75 for the night somewhere between Toledo and Monroe in a blizzard that's still a record. The National Guard got us out early the next morning but it was quite an experience and left me with a real phobia about freeway traffic jams.

I'm trying to get a lot done this week since I'll be out of commission for a while starting next Monday. I still managed to get in a couple indoor ride sessions for a total of 10.8 miles. Now I've gotta go hang up a couple wreaths and get some other decorations up...

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Leslie - your heater is in the attic?

Convenient, right?  But in thinking about how they built the addition, I'm not sure where else they could've put it.  The front half of the house is 60+ years old and has 2 bedrooms, a bathroom, a front room that's basically our library, and a single car garage which acts as our laundry room, water heater storage, pantry, and The Hub's work equipment storage.  The addition/back half of the house is a great room (living room, dining room, kitchen), main bedroom, and bathroom.  The addition was poorly thought out.  There's not a whole lot of storage in this place.

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

dnaff

Finally, physical therapy today.  Mostly good stuff but if he said “for your age” one more time I would’ve had to slap him.  So the usual comments  about being a fit runner packaged together with some hip strengthening exercises.  He feels there is nothing more to be done as far as bulging discs.  Took me so long to get through the insurance red tape to even get PT that most stuff had resolved itself.

Except for his prescribed exercises I am to rest one more week.  At that time add in yoga and if that goes well begin a run/walk routine.  He strongly encouraged me to take up swimming or biking in place of running but didn’t rule it out.  I’m ok with a run/walk.  You know, for a person my age…

TammyinGP

Good Monday Afternoon!

Had a fantastic long weekend with our son. It was so good to have him home for a few days - but gosh dang I'm tired of cooking and making food!  lol.  I'm having a salad tonight. 

I signed up for my first 2024 race. Grasshopper Peak 30K in Leslie-land.  I love this race and am glad it's back for next year. They had to cancel last year due to a landslide on the road you have to take to get to the start of the race. 

No running for me today. Mondays are usually my rest day.  I got about half my Christmas shopping done on CyberMonday   Thankfully we are keeping it small this year.

Tammy

Was not feeling it today, post-holiday blues?  So I only did a walk. 3.1 miles, cool and sunny. Tomorrow I should be ready for some jogging.

Enjoyed having my DD home for a few days. Although we keep almost opposite hours, me going to bed early, her quite late. And I have a freezer full of food to use up.

Rejigged the rat traps in the crawlspace, as I heard a critter down there last night. Oh how I love home ownership!

Work is slow and that bums me out quite a bit. I want something more important to do, to be more involved in the current work (that others are doing). If I were not on a retention plan right now, I'd be looking for another job. I could ask to be laid off earlier than Aug 1, but I'd lose a lot of income that way.

dnaff, sounds promising, for a woman your age. LOL

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

. . . . I have a meeting starting in about 20 minutes, so there is no time today.

After a decent night's sleep, I was up at 4:30 and did 50 minutes of stretching, knee exercises, and core work. I'm surprised at the difference after not having done anything for most of the last week. Hopefully. it'll just take me another day to ketchup.

Jay - sounds like things are back to normal.

Even if I only have half of what you went through,

I'm sure it will take me twice as long, if not ever,

to be stretching, knee exercises and core work. 
                          <<<(ed note: that he doesn't do anyway)>>>

This knee surgery is getting way more complicated than the inguinal arthroscopic where I just went to the hospital, they put me under general anesthesia and, voila!, when I came to, it was over but now for the knee I have to have clearances from PCP, dentist, PT's, cardiacs, etc. etc.  PCP okayed on Tuesday, Dentist last week, one of the two part cario last week (echo imaging) and second tomorrow (chemical stress test in lieu of TM that knee wouldn't do for the incline part), and PT before-and-afterwards appointments so I went to some of the nearby PT's that're even more plentiful than the donut shops:  However, they all looked like high school football players who flunked our of, or didn't go to, college, or, worse yet, some who definitely couldn't even have made the football squad.  Nevertheless, I got the appointments I needed to have the surgery go forward but with a place I don't like so, unless I find one in the others I didn't get to today that I like, I'll cancel them all and do it by YouTube because there's nothing they can do to me after they do it.

Not that i'm worried about it or anything like that but I'll be asking them during a Wednesday pre-op appointment about the spinal anesthesia they're going to do vs. the general that was such a cinch for the inguinal and if I'll be watching and listening to them grind away as I end up paralyzed. No thank you.

ps - DW, . . . and me too, interested in a web cam that we can set on the table to have a 24/7 stream of the view downtown and over to the mountains for the kids to look at any time they want to but all the ones that showed up on my search were connected to desktop or laptop computers and had no indication of battery, electric plug in or whatever power.  In fact, most seemed just to be for taking pictures of yourself to accompany Skype, Line, etc. long distance calls to the grandkids. I'd think there'd be something like the small cameras in cars or on somes' bicycle helmets, etc. that could plug in instead of needing recharging.

in the meantime, got a little over three miles in trying to track down a PT I could stand going to. \

<<<(ed note: or they stand having him)>>>

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

Lelsie - I don't suppose there are any pictures of you crab crawling in an attic?

Rochrunner - I cannot imagine being stuck in a vehicle overnight!

Tetsujin209 - I think I'd like to be completely out for the surgery you're having.

SteveP