Masters Running

Saturday!! 7-16-11 (Read 421 times)

Leslie, glad to hear you sound pretty fit!

Wildchild, nice race!

Tammy, we had similar weather.  It has been raining a bit over the past few days.  So this morning it was IRC, coolish (60F), overcast and damp but not sufficatingly humid.  I did 4.2 easy miles.  I counted snails and slugs, which I guess like those damp sidewalks.  I chased a few to the next concrete slab and always won!  A driver nearly ran me over (I was sure he saw me), then I nearly collided with two rabbits.  I stopped at one point to get my HR down and another runner went by and asked if I was ok.  That NEVER happens.  My faith in mankind was restored.  All in all a very splendid run.

Two days ago it was announced that the young medium sized company my DH works for is being sold for about 1.3 billion  Surprised (part of that money depends on meeting sales targets for the next 5 years).  Unfortunately this doesn't mean much for DH as he has only been there 2 years and doesn't have a lot in the way of stock, unlike the guys that have been there since close to the beginning.  A few are instant millionaires.  Guys that used to do drywalling, guys in their twenties.  They all went out drinking last week and were on the local news at the bar!  Thankfully it was pretty blurry. 

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

evanflein

Nice job on the 10k, Wildchild! Funny... only someone over 40 would refer to someone in their 30's as a young punk. 

I remember taking my dog to puppy class, and then obedience class a couple of times. She flunked each time. You just can't convince a husky/malemute cross to do something she doesn't really want to do. The "long sit" was her downfall. She couldn't see the point and lay down before the 5 minutes was up. Oh well.

I ran an 8k today, in the rain and wind. The course is pancake flat though, and I was hoping to run 7:20's today. First mile was 7:08 (oops) and the rest were between 7:20 and 7:29, good enough for 36:35 and a PR by just a couple of seconds (hey, I'll take it). Last year the course was short (due to construction, and they just couldn't seem to figure out how to change the start/finish to make it up), but the pace last year was 7:13... so, that would've been a PR but this year the distance was correct, so I'm counting it. Big grin

You just can't convince a husky/malemute cross to do something she doesn't really want to do. The "long sit" was her downfall. She couldn't see the point and lay down before the 5 minutes was up.

I don't blame her! Smile

"Young punk" - heh heh.

Some great running today.  Way to go, Masters!

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

I typed this whole very long post, and for some reason it was loading slowly, and DH came along and closed my window before it posted.  Angry

Now I don't remember what I said.   Sad

This is a long-standing issue between us: he doesn’t seem to know how to get on the computer without closing any other windows that are open, in spite of me having asked him 50 times to MINIMIZE, not close out.  I can't tell you how many downloads or uploads he has ruined for me.

Grrrrrr...

Twocat and Leslie – thanks for posting the stuff about the hamstring.  Twocat, to answer your question, I am having pain in two different places.  After a hardish run or speedwork, I have an ache at the back of the right leg/butt/hip.  It feels when I’m sitting like the pain is at the joint where the leg bone meets the hip, more than in the meaty parts (muscle), so maybe it is a tendon issue, like what I dealt with the summer before last, but not so acute, mostly just a mild achiness that comes and goes and is worse some days.  Who knows, could be bursitis.  The pain when I’m driving is behind the knee and just above on the rear side of my leg.  This pain only seems to happen when I’m driving, the effort of pressing the accelerator pedal and brake bringing it to the fore, and at times it is nearly excruciating, causing me to drive with my other foot, but generally I don’t feel this at any other time of the day.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly, if you are the designated administrator on your computer, you can set up different users, that log on separately.  We have 4 different users on our computer and the kids now are careful about "switching" user without touching anything we are each currently working on.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mariposai

RA master's runners keep impressing me to no end!!!

Look at hopeful, she ran 6 miles, and Dave went for a 10 miler while tomwhite went for a splash. Brgarcito just ran 15.4 miles just because he can and with a great pace too. Then we have our star Karin running double with her son and Erika, our Snow Queen Speedster running a PR 8k.

My birthday twin sister decided to placed 4th in her Age Group at a 10k. Oh!! and SpiAZ decided to race a hot chick on a bike for a couple hundred feet while Enkephalin ran a smooth 4.2 while counting snails and slugs while Opie is having fun with his wave runs!

Since the forum is slow today I am assuming that the other folks are out there enjoying the summer!!!

As for me, just like Wildchild, I entered in an impromptu 10k race (but I had to drive 1:30 for it Wink). This race is part of a famous tri race in my area. It was so cool to see the tri athletes do their staff, wow do they look great!!!Big grin. The race course is basically all downhill until the turn around and then, go back up to the finish line Smile. I must admit I did not enjoy the route. It was crowded. There were cars, yes cars passing us, the tri people on their bike passing us and us poor runners trying to be very polite as we elbowed people and try to pass them. My finish time was 53:21 for a 8:33 average pace. I took 3rd place in my age group. Official stats will come later in the week. I am pleased with my effort since this is a PR for a little bit over a minute in a much hillier course than my spring 10k. Most off all I am pleased with my even effort to the end! 

Erika, are we going to see your 4 marathon in 4 weeks report???Cool

Off to sit under my grape arbor, zip some white wine and enjoy the butterflies visit my flowers!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Nice job on the PR 10k there, Mariposai! Sounds like it wasn't a "PR friendly" course either. And yeah... I'm working on that race report. Sort of. Just been very busy today.

Found out I was 8th overall so nice to make the top ten. It seemed like a fast crowd today, especially for the men. Final time was 36:34.8.  After my race today, I ran another 5.1 miles to meet DH at the gym where he was doing his workout. Then we came home and made blueberry pancakes for brunch! 

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika - another who is looking forward to a report,although I am seriously behind in my report-reading as it is.  I have scanned recent reports, but not yet responded.  I will, though.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

This is a long-standing issue between us: he doesn’t seem to know how to get on the computer without closing any other windows that are open, in spite of me having asked him 50 times to MINIMIZE, not close out.  I can't tell you how many downloads or uploads he has ruined for me.

Do you have the other half of this amulet?  

SteveP

breger1 well CNYrunner is right they will eat the bugs around your place!  Alas, if they are living in your place they will also poop all over the place!  Good luck with the eviction proceedings!

CNYrunner odd our mosquito population seems to be about normal this year, maybe even low.  It was a very cold winter and that is not good for them.  At least it meant one good thing came out of this winter!  Funny about the animals waking you up.  My DW was complaining this morning because the local "wild" turkey population was busy squawking and gobbling at about 5am!  Turkeys require quite a bit of noise making before they are ready to fly down out of their overnight perches.

deez4boyz yes it is nice.  Running groups are a great help too!  People who do not run never realize what a social sport it really is.

fatozzig congratulations on having clearance to bike and then biking without any problems!

SkipAZ err, when girls try to pick you up, . . . well, err, you were never all that good at, well, ah, let me see, getting picked up.  Where you?  Big grin

wildchild congratulations on the medal!  Tell them if they are going to call it a "masters" whatever they have to ban anybody under 40!  The nerve of some race directors!  Hmmpf!  Smile

Opie a 12 mile wave run on a TM!?  Surprised  You are a better man than I am!

enkephalin on the bright side maybe the deal will fall through and then all that partying will have been for nothing!  Smile  Well, maybe that is not really a bright side but then it would not matter so much that your DH just started at the place.

evanflein if the distance is right you get to count it!

Holly S. that is very annoying!  There is really no reason anybody cannot figure out how to minimize a window.  About the knee, my problem was in the front.  But like you, when I had to push in the gas the pain was awful!  Ice and time and it eventually went away and thankfully has never returned.  But I drive with cruise control whenever possible to help make sure it stays away.  Maybe try icing the area twice a day and see if that helps.  If you car has cruise control use that as much as possible.  As for your upper leg it could be bursitis.  The type that causes pain in that area is called "tailor's butt."  You get it from sitting on a firm surface for long periods of time.  Part of the cure is to keep off the bursa sack as much as possible which makes that foam pad thing a good idea.  However, and this is a big however, tailor's butt can be misdiagnosed early stage tendonosis.  That is what happened to me.  The early symptoms are identical.  The only way to tell one from the other for sure is with an MRI.  Tailor's butt is not serious, tendonosis (believe me) is a much larger problem.

Mariposai congratulations on the new PR!  Very well done.

Today my DW went off for a 4 mile run of her own.  I bravely went to the local 3.78 mile race.  Yep, another week another nutty distance!  Last week I finished with the 39 popsicle stick.  As  people cross the finish you grab a popsicle stick with your finish number on it and they record the time for that stick.  Then you go to the record sheet, hand in your stick and tell them who you are.  So the 39th popsicle stick means 38 people in total finished ahead of me men and women included.  This week I got popsicle stick 38.  That will likely get me in some trouble with my PT as she wanted me to slow down a bit for this race.  But I did not push it!  Really, I swear I did not push it!  Ok, I knew I was cruising along above my cleared for pace but it was not like I was huffing and puffing.  Truly!  Anybody want to provide backup when I see her on Monday?  Black eye

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/