Masters Running

Sunday Runs and Stuff..... (Read 447 times)

30-min track run,,,crutch-assisted

17-degrees

PainFree

========

not

an ROTC or Goose in sight,,,,,,

I've had worse

.............so what's everybody else up to??

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

I wimped today and didd't run even though it was on the schedule. We're really enjoying ourselves here in Scottsdale, AZ. On friday, we went for a hike. I thought I'd posted about it but can't find the post so I guess I messed up. The internet connection has been a little shaky at times. My brother in law told me that our hike was in the area of the Javelina Jundred and that he thought we would be on some of the same trails. I could not belive how tough the hiking was. I had briefly thought it would be nice to run a mile or two on the JJ course but, once we started hiking, I realized that was not going to happen for this guy. The footing was rocky and loose gravel. The path (if you can call it a path) went up and down and back and forth. I never questioned how tough and determined Dove and her fellow participants are but, I now think they're even more so than I previously thought.

OM, congrats on your 5K with PR. marj and henrun, nice racing with henrun doing his best in awhile and marj with an AG win. ribs, kudos to the Saint on her 15K PR. tet, nice 5K. JimL, congrats on your first half. Mike, great Ryan pictures and nice race for him. tomw, good run without ROTC cadets or geese.

Nice long runs for Mike, perch, fatozzig, and evan.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

U.M.W.B

Yesterdays race report ( Long I'm sorry)

My first 1/2 was actually supposed to be this June, but when I heard of a local running store putting on a race for charity near my house on trails I run and Mt Bike on all the time I figured, heck with it! now's a good time! The only entry requirement was $15.00 and donate an old pair of running shoes, easy enough! The course consisted of 6  2.13 mile loops around the reservoir with a 1/2 mile run to the finish at the end.

I lined up with about 200 other runners and at around 9:30 GO! was shouted and off we went. A few years ago I tore my MCL in my right knee, it usually bothers me for the first couple of miles, but then after that it becomes a non issue. In anticipation of the extra time and miles I would be running, I did what I never do and wore my knee brace for the run. I started off slow repeating to myself what I had been saying all morning leading up to the race, Go slow, just do the miles, don't worry about the time, just do the miles.

After about 3 miles or so I heard someone yell.... You Run Too? I looked up and saw a guy on  a MT Bike, who was obviously talking to me... I smiled and waved not having any idea who he was......... The miles went by easy enough but it became obvious that wearing the knee brace was a bad idea.  after mile 7 my right knee was still hurting, and my left leg had abrasions from rubbing on the brace. I stopped took off the brace and stashed it in a tree.

The relief was immediate! My knee soon stopped hurting and my over all pace for the next two laps improved. At mile 11 I was entering uncharted territory, and maybe I psyched myself out a bit, and in all honesty I was getting a bit tired. I slowed my pace down for the last lap, but then tried to pick it up again for the last 1/2 mile to the finish. I was able to cross the finish at a decent pace and most importantly of all a smile on my face!

I realized almost immediately that something was missing, although I was happy, I had no one to share it with, I was surrounded by people but all of them strangers, The one face I am used to seeing at the end of my runs was not there, My D.W is in Mexico visiting relatives, and although I miss her very much, never as much as I did right then.

I was feeling a bit blue when I got home, but you all immediately lifted me up with your kind words, and congratulations! That made all the difference in the world! I really appreciate everything all of you had to say and to all of you a big THANKS! I needed that! Big grin

So here it is the next day, I feel great! No aches or pains to speak of. I'm already scouring the internet looking for my next 1/2!

Here are yesterdays totals...

TypeDistanceTimeTotal TimePaceAvg HRMax HRNotes
        1 Interval 2.13 mi 23:29.62 23:29.62 11:02      
        2 Interval 2.12 mi 23:15.45 46:45.07 10:59      
        3 Interval 2.11 mi 22:41.85 1:09:26.92 10:46      
        4 Interval 2.12 mi 22:44.87 1:32:11.79 10:44      
        5 Interval 2.13 mi 23:21.85 1:55:33.64 10:59      
        6 Interval 2.13 mi 24:21.91 2:19:55.55 11:27      
        7 Interval 0.52 mi 5:31.98 2:25:27.53 10:39  

U.M.W.B

Mariposai

So here it is the next day, I feel great! No aches or pains to speak of. I'm already scouring the internet looking for my next 1/2!

and a new half marathon maniac is borne!!!!! 

Once again a huge congrats. 

No running yet, it is slow morning day for my wings. I just want to spend this morning in " carefree, duty free luxury" Yes, I have so much to do, but the to do list will have to wait until noon. As for now, it is curling up with a book and enjoying Gershwin Rhapsody in blue time.

Erika, good luck with your 15 miler today! Great and speedy run yesterday. As always, your speed amazes me!

Go racers go!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

New skirt in town

Congrats on your HM, Jim!!  Good thinking on ditching the brace. Amazing how sometimes something we think is so helpful can turn out to be a hindrance.  It took some clear mid-race thinking to ditch it!

16.26 miles this morning.  I wimped out and couldn't handle the below 0F wind chill, and took the miles indoors.  3+ episodes of Breaking Bad later, and it was done!  Now I'm doing Valentine's day crafts and making a lovely Valentine's Day dinner: truffled deviled eggs with caviar,  and Momofuku bo ssam (check it out here:  http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/15/magazine/the-bo-ssam-miracle.html)  Homemade vanilla ice cream for dessert!

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Nice report Jim.  Congrats!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
              evanflein

Great run, Jim! I hope you remembered to go back to that tree for your knee brace... 

Mariposai, I'm taking that approach to my morning, too. Well, we do that most weekend mornings it seems. The day looks perfect for a long run though, and I've already told myself my speedy runs were earlier this week and it's ok to slow down for this one. Yes, even walk breaks on the clock (no turning off the Garmin to stop like I sometimes do!!). So... we'll see how it goes.

Nice run, Robin. I like podcasts that last at least 45 minutes or so. Really helps the time pass on the treadmill.

Tom, that's cool that you were hiking where Dove ran that race. That is some pretty tough terrain, for sure. 

Marathon Maniac #957

My first 1/2 ....

... I was able to cross the finish at a decent pace and most importantly of all a smile on my face!

Here are yesterdays totals...

TypeDistanceTimeTotal TimePaceAvg HRMax HRNotes
                  1 Interval 2.13 mi 23:29.62 23:29.62 11:02      
                  2 Interval 2.12 mi 23:15.45 46:45.07 10:59      
                  3 Interval 2.11 mi 22:41.85 1:09:26.92 10:46      
                  4 Interval 2.12 mi 22:44.87 1:32:11.79 10:44      
                  5 Interval 2.13 mi 23:21.85 1:55:33.64 10:59      
                  6 Interval 2.13 mi 24:21.91 2:19:55.55 11:27      
                  7 Interval 0.52 mi 5:31.98 2:25:27.53 10:39  

Jim - well done on all counts!  13.1 miles is nothing to sneeze at, and to finish with a smile on your face, and the next day to find yourself uninjured and without major aches and pains is a very successful race IMO - well done!  Like Mariposai said, you're hooked now!

TomS - enjoy yourself in AZ!

Like Robin, I did my LR on the TM today, wimping out in the bitter temps, and also a bit sluggish from too much junk food yesterday.  When we go on a vacation, even only an overnight, DH brings two bags of junk food to eat in the hotel room, and this time my restraint wasn't as good as it usually is.

We had a great time snow tubing yesterday, in spite of very cold temps, but we had on layers and layers of clothes.  I looked longingly at the skiiers on the next hills, though.  I so would love to ski.  I've only done it twice, but loved it both times.  Unfortunately, there's not much skiing in Ohio, and even what there is, the cost for a family of four to pick up that habit is prohibitive.

13 miles on the TM.

Time to go see what you folks were up to yesterday.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Jim: I ran a half mary today. 

Today was local running club's half marathon at 9:30 AM.  It was in the low 20F's with wind chill between 7-9F.  Needless to say all but a few brave souls ran in short - most in tights and pants w/layers.  Park where race is held is all hills but it seemed today that they were longer and colder.  The wind was never at your back through the entire race.  Two loops on road at front of park  [2.7 miles each or 5.4 ]followed by 2 loops in the back [3.8 miles each or 7.6 miles] with the connecting causeway across creek making it 13.1 miles. 

Weird thing is I ran the same exact route in June for another club event  w/same GPS and it  read 13.06 or 13.1. Today exact same route and 12.78 or 12.8.  I don't think GPS work to well in cold either or I am better at tangents.Wink.  Anyway I let mileage from GPS stand in my log even though I know it is off by almost quarter mile. With the headwinds which seemed to occur mostly when climbing hills it seemed more like 14 miles.  I was glad I hadn't dumped my windbreaker after the 2nd loop, since just as cold on 3rd and 4th loops.

Overally time was 1:46:45.05 or about 8:21 min mile pace.  Though last lap as I approached the chute GPS indicates 7:12 min mile [I won't even tell you the uphill times].  Finished 69th overall again but at least I wasn't lapped by the lead runners which on the uphills I was expecting at anytime.

Turnout not as large as previous races in the clubs winter series due to length and temps.  Also not everyone finished full race since club allows people to drop out after at Laps 2, 3.  They get points for participating but not counted as finnishing race,i.e., not 5 pts for those who did entire race..

Now drinking some re-heated coffee and enjoy the heat in the house.  My shower already drained the hot water heater.Big grin

Enjoy the weekend.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

C-R

Good races Jim and Joe.

Using the TM on cold days isn't wimping out but rather building up body and mind.

We had our annual club race today. 7 miles and entry fee is canned goods for the local food pantry serving Indianapolis needy. 28 degrees and gusts up to 30 mph. Yikes. Managed to finish in a respectable time. Beats missing yesterdays race because I slept through my alarm. Doh.

Now for some laundry and ironing to get ready for next week.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Marathon Maniac #957

Shadowrunner - nice finishing time in spite of the cold and hills!   As for the GPS, I would put the 13.1 in the log, not the shorter Garmin-measured distance.  If the race is certified, you can believe them better than the GPS, which we all know is more of an estimate anyway.

C-R - nice racing for you as well, in the bitter winds out there!

I am such a wimp, I never race in the winter.  My first race this year won't be until March 25.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

ok - glad to see others claiming to be wimps as well today but really folks -- I AM A WIMP!!  I just couldnt bear the thought of below 20 degrees and winds and getting up early today to join my friends at the MVS hosted run!!   After 2 long days at work which including getting splashed by umbilical cord blood as it went flying across the room yesterday, I really needed to sleep in, go to church and then get my run in AT THE GYM where the temp. was nice and the winds were absent!!Smile

1.5 mile warmup - 4 miles of intervals - .25 miles picking up the pace each set, alternated with .25 miles recovery pace ... .5 miles cooldown then reset the treadmill (could only time in for 60 minutes) and did 4 miles playing around with lowering the pace and raising the incline.

10 minutes on the elliptical, stretched, core and abs!!    So despite being a weather wimp today, I feel like I put in a good workout!!Big grin

Hope you are all having a wonderful Sunday!!  Big hugs to those who need healing and to those who dont - just because I LIKE YOU!!Wink

now to catch up on the dailies!!Roll eyes

denise

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Nice running, everyone! Whether outside or on the treadmill, it all counts and it's all good. I ran outside today with the girls, 7.6 miles at a nice and comfortable pace. Was cold but we warmed up just fine. Then I came home and baked oatmeal craisin cookies from scratch, substituting some of the butter with applesauce. So far no one in my family has died from them.... Big grin

Enjoy the day, all!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Didn't wimp out today, just waited a while until it got above 20°.  Quite a contrast from yesterday.  Shorts and a long sleeve shirt gave way to tights , TWO long sleeve shirts, ski glove and balaclava.  And when I nearly got blown off the porch, I went back in and got my wind shirt on top of everything.

3.9 miles at just over 10M/M pace.  15-20 MPH wind for most of the route, but had a couple of pieces with a tailwind. 

I'm continually in awe of some of the distances that you folks put in on the TM.  I think the longest I ever made was about 4 miles and it's always slower than I seem to manage outdoors.

Jim--I told you it was addicting.  Great race.  Although 6 laps might start to feel like a TM to me Wink.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

wildchild

Carolyn

I am such a wimp, I never race in the winter.  My first race this year won't be until March 25.

Holly, March 25 is still winter here. Joking  And you're a tough runner - not a wimp at all!  Glad you had fun tubing.  Skiing is an expensive sport,  but is manageable if you look for discount lift tickets.    Yesterday I skied at a local area called Eldora, and I got 4 lift tickets for $32 each through an on-line deal. A full price ticket at the ticket window is $72.   And a full day adult lift ticket at Vail is $105 this year!  Shocked

Jim, what a great race report!   Nice that you feel good today, with no aches and pains - that means you should run the next one faster! Wink

Nice racing for Joe and Norm, too, in cold temps!

I really hate running on a treadmill - you folks who do long runs on them are certainly not wimpy in my book!  That takes an amazing amount of fortitude.

I ran 10 miles today, the first 5 with Tazzie and Ladybug.  It was 45 and sunny when I started, so I wore shorts, but it was down to 35 and snowing when I got home!  Shorts were a poor choice...   so I put on long pants, a jacket, hat, and warmer gloves, and went back out in the snow for another 5 miles.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.