Masters Running

Friday April 11 Boomer/Masters Runs and whatever ... (Read 567 times)

rest day for me but I just wanted to say hooray to PDR!!

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

dg.

thanks Mary! that's much better. dale, I missed a couple of weeks... what's going on with your ankle?? I'm glad it's getting better, but still, Shocked. {{{ Nancy }}} Twocat, what's up with you? ETA Hi HallyBarb! Tall, glad you're having a blast.
        dale, I missed a couple of weeks... what's going on with your ankle?? I'm glad it's getting better, but still, Shocked.
        just a little sprain that's on the way to healing...just messin' with my 'taper' I'll be fine. (Thanks for noticing)
        dg.

just a little sprain that's on the way to healing...just messin' with my 'taper' I'll be fine. (Thanks for noticing)
          good! you're welcome. {{{ dale's taper }}} Smile
          TammyinGP

I haven't poked my tibia once yet today! but the day is still young out here . . . i'm just having my coffee now . . . haven't even started working yet. . . going to the gym during lunch for a 4 mile run, then tomorrow is a 10 mile race. Labduck and his wife will be here for this one, so i'll meet up with them for a bit in the a.m., but he's fast, so I'll only see him on the turnaround as he flies by me. Perfect weather in the forecast tomorrow - clear blue skies, about 55 degrees at the start. Perfect weather for a running skirt I think Cool

Tammy

PDR, I'm glad to hear your hamstring seems ok. Nice long runs for enke, breger (with repeats), Peter, and jjj. Good job on the speedwork for Holly (striders and "Big Hill"), Tall, Maine, and perch. This morning, it was raining and quite windy so I chose the TM in the basement. 8 miles at 1% and 6.5 mph (9:13/mi). A good day and good runs for all. TomS
                My legs are feeling all the laps I have done this week. A mere 6 for the morning. Our students are in 3rd place out of the 5 elementary schools in our district so we are middle of the packers. We are less than 2 miles out of second so silver is our goal. The gold looks out of reach but gives kids something to shoot for. I chuckle when kids come up to me telling me they need to go to the nurse because they are getting really warm or their side hurts. Welcome to running my young friends. It is hard to convince a 7 year old that a side stitch is not a fatal injury, especially one who rarely gets to play outside. That is why I value every day in my job. The even better news is that we have already collected over $3,000 for the local childhood cancer organization and suspect we will top $6,000 by the time we collect all of the donations!
                  Happy running everyone! And to those of you injured, may you heal well soon.
                  I am glad I went out for a sweet, sunny 3 miles run yesterday afternoon since this morning is cloudy, crisp and the asthma thingie is not happy at all. I hope the albuterol helps by 10 this morning since I am giving a workshop on cultural competency to 140+ healhtcare workers. The way I am feeling right now I can not even talk for 15 minutes, let alone for the 2 hours I am schedule to talk.
                  Mariposai, I hope you are ok by now but albuterol is supposed to work for you in 20 minutes because it's a rescue inhaler. Please see your doctor as soon as you can. Spareribs, please tell The Saint I said hi and that I commend her on training hard for her upcoming half marathon! I would like to run with her someday Smile JJJ , glad you shared your food last night with your DW instead of being a Bad Godzilla and scarfing it all Tongue Thanks for telling me where you got the $6 watch since I might need to get a replacement soon. Ran 5 easy miles in Manhattan Beach last night, and saw The Running Dachsund again but I didn't have a camera! He was flying (all four little feet in the air). His running partner is a young lady who ran on her toes (her heels never touched the ground). She let him rest and catch his breath every few minutes and then they took off. XT day for me today. It's sunny and warm out (supposed to reach 75 deg F).
                    Hi Camel. Wiener dogs. Darn wiener dogs. One bit me on my bom-bom a week before the VCM last year. The little schnitzel was wagging her tail and smiling so I bent down to pat her and "CHOMP". The Saint: Is she going to run in Prada? Isn't this the heels and hills half? The RS and DS2 are kayaking. I have to go pull the weeds that are growing between the bricks in my patio. 0527 58 F 100% humidity 3.32 miles running followed by 7.25 miles on the bike that doesn't move. (the rest of the 0530 group swims. I bike)
                    LaVita
                    munchkn883

Finally got back from TX yesterday afternoon. Was flying standby so I feel very blessed to get on a flight. While in TX I got to sleep on the sofa so last night the thoughts of my own bed were wonderful. Problem, DH is so sick he is doing nothing but cough and this has been going on for several weeks. Soooooo guess where I got to sleep last night....ON THE SOFA!! He finally called the doctor and I'll be picking up his medicine this afternoon. Now that I have that out....went for a nice 3.5 mile walk with my dear friend and pushed GD in her stroller. The weather is beautiful! Perch -- What happen to Tory? Whatever it was, I'm glad she is doing better.
                      Dave59

When you've been running on and off for as many years as I have, you learn little tricks to get out of running. I am now using one of my favorites to skip running today. I found a 5k not too far from here that takes place tomorrow morning. So I am taking off today to go run in that. But when I wake up tomorrow, there will probably be a "good" reason for not running the 5k and by then it will be too late to run today. If I do go, I could set a personal worst. Other than the times I am not running at all, I am probably in my worst shape ever. But, I am motivated to start things back up with training and eating healthier and a 5k now would be a good base point for the year that would be easy to improve on. Actually, I probably won't set a personal worst because that came in Houston during my 2 year exile in hades. I ran a 5k on the 4th of July when the heat index was pushing 200°. Tongue

If I do go, I could set a personal worst.
                          Luckily Dave personal worst never makes it into Runner's World and rarely makes the local news, it is a chance to run with x number of your newest running friends.
                          evanflein

Hi Deb! I did make it home last night... well early this morning. Plane landed uneventfully if not a few minutes late at 12:45 a.m. Was sort of a bummer to see all the new SNOW out there! Jeez, it looks like January around here. Oh well. 10 degrees F on the drive in to work... but could be 45F by Sunday. Good news on PDR's hammy, and yeah to Tammy for not poking her tibia... hope she doesn't feel it when the inevitable poking occurs! Dave59, I like your rationale. Go do that 5k. Like you said, at least you'll have a reference point to base improvement on this year. Seems like so many of you "taperers" are doing some pretty high mileage intensive running still... Not sure I'd like plans like those. But then again, today should be a rest day for me, but with all the travel I did this week I do feel a need to run a little bit. Might take the spikey's out for one last run on my hilly road--which was all dirt last week and now it's all white. Hmmmm. Our renters backed out. I guess just as well since we're having major clogged up plumbing problems in the kitchen/laundry drains. We had a plumber out for hours yesterday to snake/pressure-jet the drains and install more vents. He thinks our problem is lack of adequate venting. I say if that's the problem, why did it take 25 years to cause a problem? I think it's a clog he can't reach. The saga continues. I hate my house.

King of PhotoShop

Dromedary and La Vita, the Saint reads the daily so I am sure she will see your good wishes. Yes, this is the "Heels and Hills" half in Las Colinas. Teresa, so glad you are enjoying your TX experience. Perch, I love that result but I hold my breath when I see someone do that hard a workout just before the taper. You, Breger, Mainerunnah, Lou, WiFi and some others here who have been on that Pfitz program for quite some time can handle a tough, fast workout like that one but I believe it's risky for others. Good news today on PDR, a collective sigh of relief on this site I am sure. A couple of more tips on Boston that have been said before: 1) Forget planning for the weather and looking at forecasts; waste of time, 2) Holly and others, you do not want it warm, trust me, and 3) Don't walk the streets of Boston or the Expo on Sunday. Go to the ball game or get off your feet. Aamos and CNY, my Rangers helped you guys out by sweeping the Birds yesterday. Also, I happen to be a celebrity also, since I know Aamos and Aamos is well, Faamous! Saint and I went out a bit late for a run. We went to Mass to support Riblet who was altar boy today. Then 3.5 in 33 minutes, last mile at 8 flat. I laughed that I thought that was a fast mile, which it was for me at this stage. Things are coming along nicely. Liz, then what color is the button you push to blow up the western world if it isn't red? Spareribs
                              btb1490

TGIF! yesterday... eliz- good for you for getting out for your run yesterday! I'm glad it helped! Smile evanflein- it sounds like you had a productive trip. How was first class!? Cool! At least you got some consolation for all the pain in the butt stuff you've had to deal with. How is your son feeling today? Stay clear of him! dromedary- how'd the run go yesterday? Were you nekkid, and could you breathe? runningindc- that's encouraging that your foot rebounded as quickly as it did. It's getting the kinks out perhaps? mainerunnah- dang those were some fast mile splits! halllar- bummer about work. It's like trying to follow the Master's golf online. JJJ- You're gonna need all of those calories you scarfed for the weekend you have planned! nonoruns- I loved the sound of your run, on the deserted streets, and with your babysitter and dog. Very nice! Teresa- glad you're having such a great time, and having good runs! today... breger- the fact that you got another run in and are feeling good is great! CNY- good luck and have fun with grandma! She sounds very cool! Roy- HI! Good to see you post! May 25th is a ways away yet. Please keep us posted with your progress and good luck! perch- can't wait to see how you do in Boston. Your training has been perfect! hopeful4ever- you will love those rest days even more as your training progresses! Enjoy! PJH- was a fort involved with the sleepover? Smile I agree with the MP only for next week, not that my opinion matters, just wanted to give your coaches plan a thumbs up. I haven't seen "Spirit" yet, but from all accounts, it sounds like it was great. Thanks for the review. lyndenrunner- thanks for posting. I see you have been running, but didn't want to bug you. Enjoy your warm weekend in the sun, doing what you love to do. I will admit, I still watch Sesame Street from time to time. Was Count there to help you count the miles? Craneium- why are you tired? Wink Big time congrats on the fundraising and of course on the inspiration you give these kids. Peter- boxers can be stubborn dogs. I'm glad you stood your ground and got away without incident. Of course you were at the top of a hill when this happened. I'm glad the run turned out well. Jeanne- Got your rowboat and lifevest ready? I was gonna bring my copy of RW with me to Boston and if I had an Aamos sighting was gonna have her autograph it. dg- your plan sounded good, sorry it didn't work out. Never heard of the precor stretch trainer... gotta check it out. Keep at it please, I'm rooting for you! Tall- sounds like a great weekend in store for you. Enjoy! Good luck with your column! Holly- while the boss is away, Holly will play. What was so bizarre about that dream? Sounds like a typical race morning to me. Wink PDR- Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile One smile for each mile you will fly through at Boston! I'm happy with you! WRFB- your job is to keep the freaking out in your house to a minimum, ok? Mariposai- I hope you were able to give your workshop without incident. Feel better! dtoce- I didn't know you were hurting! What is your prognosis? halllar- hoping your calf is happy with the rest today! Tammy- best of luck with your race/run tomorrow! I hope it goes well and am looking forward to hearing about it! TomS- No mention of any hip problems, so I'll assume no news is good news. Dromedary- you HAVE to get a picture of that dog running! I'm laughing just thinking about it. I wonder what it's stride rate is? Good luck with your asthma in your warm weather. Hugs to you.... just because. LaVita- nice to see a post here from you today! Make it a habit please! munch- welcome home. It sounds like you are doing well. Smile I wish I could say the same for your husband though. Hope he feels better soon, and I hope things continue to go well for you. Dave- good thing I don't live closer to you... I want your race report posted here first thing Monday! As Craneium said, who cares about the time, get out there and see or make some friends. evanflein- welcome home! Glad you made it! I'll bet all the fresh snow looked beautiful. :P Sorry about the house woes... you and Holly need to have a house bashing talk in Boston. Get it out of your systems. Ribs- good Boston advice. But if the Boston runners can't check the weather every 10 minutes, that means they have to channel their energy somewhere else, and you saw where that lead Aamos. Keep checking the weather guys! Congrats on achieving the 8 min/mile barrier! Continued good run wishes to you and the Saint! Twocat- here kitty kitty. Come out come out wherever you are. THinking of you, hope all is well. Talking about oldie bands, Judy Collins is playing at a local high school next month. Got my ticket yesterday... Smile "Send in the Clowns". Good stuff. Had a very nice long walk early this morning with pooch. Cloudy skies, but no wind and mild temps. It's sooo good to finally have things start to feel springy. The air was filled with tons of bird sounds, but even with all that racket, the screech of a far off hawk pierced right through it all. Lots of deer and rabbits out grazing. I could've stayed out there forever. These walks are so good for the soul. A good friend told me last night that her dad had to go into the hospital yet again, he's been battling cancer for a few years now, but it doesn't look too promising, so thats been weighing heavily on me. She has such an awesome relationship with her parents, they are her best friends. Took a side trip during the hike to my favorite spot on the cliffs and sat there for a long time and prayed. Jake, my dog, knew something was up, normally he'd be all over the place sniffing away, but today he layed down next to me the whole time. I'm sure I'm giving him too much credit, he was probably just tired! Snapped some photos... A pocket of wild daffodils, giving a burst of color to otherwise brown surroundings. A very rare calmness to the water. The dark line on the horizon is Connecticut. I think I see Twocat and SueT waving! A nice mix of muted colors in the water and the sky. Thanks for looking and for reading. I appreciate you guys every day! A good rest of the day to everyone. Smile