Masters Running

Saturdaily 11/25 (Read 40 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

Happy birthday, Bio!

Jay, that sounds kinda scary, spending the day in the ER!  Glad you made it home okay.  We went to White Sands last year, and enjoyed it.  Just a side note, my 94-year-old dad is on blood thinners, and apparently the dosage is too high, because he also ended up in the ER last week, needing a transfusion.  Hope they monitor you closely while you're on the blood thinners.

Karen, that's an impressively fast 100k!  And a great photo!

I met my friends out at the local rec center for the first annual Gilpin County Turkey Trot.  It was cold, and fun! It was 3 laps on a one mile dirt trail.  My friends all walked it, but I decided to run because I was cold, then I walked their last lap with them.  I ran the 2 miles there, then ran  the race, then walked another mile with them, then ran 2 miles home. so 8 miles for the day.  I don't know yet how I placed, since people could start whenever they wanted between 10am and 1 pm.   They all wore costumes so I stood in the back for the picture!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Karen, I bought a Forerunner 265 and an outer layer jacket that is reversible but it feels almost like neoprene, the cold water deep diving stuff for wet suits. The guy that hooked me up is a distance runner and told me he had excellent results with it. I am hoping he's right because is seems thin for an outer layer and it could be -4 --6 F tomorrow morning. The only thing I didn't get that I need are running mitts so I can put a hot pack in each to keep my hands warm. This Raynaud disease really sucks...

wildchild, looks like someone was having fun!

Happy Birthday, bio!

Take care, Jay, and follow your doc's orders (for a change!).

Dave, I remember runs like that which I couldn't explain and was unable to duplicate at will, so I just enjoyed them -- as you did!

Tramps, re your TV, I meant to mention that I bought a LG OLED TV in August and really, really like it. OLED really does give you true deep black colors. It's not like regular TVs are bad, but as soon as I saw the OLED I realized what I'd been missing. Both the C3 and C2 models are good. Hint if you get one: set the picture preset mode to "Cinema" for all input formats.

sub7, when the doctor put me on tamsulosin (Flomax) for my BPH (prostate), it had the added benefit of relieving my Reynaud's to a great extent. I'm still on it and it's still helping. It's an alpha blocker, which is often prescribed for Reynaud's.

We had a lot of work today to put everything back in order after the holiday and house guest. I feel sorry for my brother, who lives very isolated most of the time, and it's definitely had an effect on his social skills compared to years ago. It sort of made it difficult to come up with things to do to pass the time, and also made me more concerned about our DS, who has always been socially isolated. In my brother's case, I know that he's had some psychological problems and I'm pretty sure he's on anti-depressants (probably Prozac) most of the time, which also explains his "emotionally flat" demeanor.

After he left this morning I was able to get in a 12.5-mile indoor ride before tackling the cleaning and organizing chores. Tonight we'll have our Thanksgiving leftovers dinner followed by the last slices of the Michigan Four-Berry Pie that we had on Thursday. And we'll probably still have enough left for sandwiches the next day or two.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

moebo

Happy Beatles Birthday, Bio! I am planning to celebrate by joining you in some paper-correcting as soon as I finish this post.

Jay, sorry to hear about your rotten health luck! The emergency room is never a fun place to visit, especially when you're supposed to be on vacation. Hoping you'll be all better very soon.

I don't think I posted my 6.5 miles yesterday. After I got home, my hockey-loving DS and I watched a film about Quebecois hockey hero Maurice Richard (The Rocket) that I am considering using in one of my classes. We liked it! I think my students will probably have some trouble understanding (the accent and many expressions are a lot different from what they're used to), but I was happy to see that I can put on French subtitles that will help a lot. Yay! Always fun to find a non-objectionable French language movie I can show my students.

I got in 5.2 quickish miles this morning, followed by a couple of hours of leaf-blowing. It was a bit chilly, but no wind and golden sunshine made for a beautiful day to be outside.Okay, now I REALLY have to get to that correcting.

mrrun

Happy Birthday Bio!

((Jay))

Wildchild - great pic!

KSA - we. have awesome donuts in our town. the donut store closes at 2 and the unsold quantities go to the food pantry where we bag them and give them to clients.

Walked with Henry a couple of times and with a friend for 4 miles, while we caught up on Turkey day activities and life.  If I wear a silk layer on top, my fingers don't have Raynaud's syndrome.

have a greta evening and Sunday!

marj

lamerunner2

Hello.  Happy post Turkey day weekend. Jay, very sorry to hear about the PE.  But I am glad you got good care.  Please take it easy!

KSA, I love that picture. I am a little younger than you but of similar vintage and i too remember running even marathons in cotton t shirts. No Gu. I don't know now how I ran the times I did, but I am grateful. I do wish trail running had been more of a mainstream thing back in the 70s and 80s. It was all about road running and fast marathons.

I did a short run today, maybe 4 miles or a bitt more. We got some snow then it got milder then colder, so the trail conditions right now are not so great.  So I ran on the road mostly.  Then a shorter family walk of maybe 2 miles on a flat snowy trail by an old granite quarry site.  There are now interpretive signs.  Kind of interesting.

Thanksgiving in general was nice, but a lot of family around.  I did not host T Day, but I did host dinners Wednesday and Friday for subsets of the big group.  I feel pretty beat.

Good running to everyone else. Erika, good luck with your surgery.

rochrunner, I will do some research on Tamusolin as I am hesitant to be on anything. At this age, I take nothing which makes it easy for me to remember, lol

moebo, the accent is awesome, but the expressions are typically Québecois. He was a great hockey player... Nice running by the way, I wish the weather was nice enough to go out daily here.

mrrun, silk? are you putting me on? That would be too easy...

mrrun

mrrun, silk? are you putting me on? That would be too easy...

https://www.llbean.com/llb/search/?freeText=silk+long+underwear+men&init=1

others sell it also, but it's light and warm

rochrunner, I will do some research on Tamusolin as I am hesitant to be on anything.

I wouldn't recommend taking something for a condition that it's not actually prescribed for. I think there are other alpha-blockers that might work better specifically for Reynaud's. It was just a beneficial side effect of Tamsulosin for me.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Sub- that should be a good Forerunner.  Keep us posted on the jacket.  It's not as cold here as where you are, but on days I think are really cold, I actually wear a Lululemon puff jacket (it's slim cut so I don't look like a doughboy).  I laughed at a running friend wearing one at Monkey about 6 years ago and she sold me on it- it's light, unzips if you get too warm, and is easy to pack.   What's with all the Reynaud's?  I have it, too, but hasn't been too bad over the years.  I can even have a finger or two turn white from holding a soda can!  I need thin gloves to walk the dog even in high 40s these days.  I feel like mine is worse this year.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

TammyinGP

Happy Birthday Bio!

Take care of yourself Jay! That's a scary episode you had there!

15 miles today. Gorgeous and sunny out but brrrrrr. My road run route still had frosty patches where it doesn't see the sunshine. 

had fun bowling yesterday even though all 3 of my games were in the 130's, which is low for me. David, on the other hand, bowled pretty well considering these are oiled up wood lanes and he normally bowls on synthetic lanes. 245, 216 and then something pathetically low for him, like 170 

Tammy

dnaff

Add me to the Reynaud’s group.  Mrrun, thanks for the silk glove tip.  I just found some on the Lands End website and I think I’ll give them a try.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Before Jay went on his trip. I started to type saying "Gee Jay, I would think flying after your type of procedure would be contraindicated. Due to potential embolism or DVT.

RCG - don't worry, it wouldn't've worked any more than my halfway concern.

Jay - did you have any indications PE might be a problem instead of exacerbating your knee than the rest of us were thinking about?

Henry - even if no symptoms, should everyone get around a bit on the longer flights to prevent PE.  After a dehydrating early morning marathon in Tokyo, not even the hydrating I did on the way back could make me get up out of the lush, reclining business class seat I'd upgraded to.

Jay-  it's my fault you got the PE.  . . . , I was concerned about that for you when you said you were flying that far.

RCG- Strangely, good donuts are one of the few things lacking here in our wonderful area of middle Tennessee.  Dunkin is OK- just not what I was used to in Dallas with an Asian owned independent donut shop about every half mile.  Also- we lack really good Chinese food.

KSA - Maybe you as much or, more, than most of us, have you ever not flown as planned in spite of something medical?

ps - I should have gotten a hint from the half dozen donut shops on my morning routes around the 'hood but, unless it was old and dried up;, I would have no idea how to tell what a good donut is and, until now, except for one's personal tastes, never knew there was a difference.

BIO -  very happy 64th. Nothing wrong with celebrating your birthday doing what you like, . . . except it's the weekend. Oh, I guess you like that too. I know the feeling and am glad I did too.

Wildchild - never heard of T'giving costumes. Neat. Green grass weirder yet is the green grass exposed when I rolled up most of the snow in thr yard for frosties on green grass after our occasional snowfalls.

KSA - nice memory of your running life and gear.  Looks like the Bobby Gibb and Kathrine Switzer ones.  Did you know or meet them?

Unfortunately for me, my attire from those days

is just like my attire for now, some t-shirts

even the same shoes I've never

used since then. .

Thick, dense fog rolled in over the setting nmoon at 5:00 am and the sun didn't appear until after 8 am when I was e-rent-a-biking down on the lakeside where tomorrow's Seattle Marathon I'm not doing for one of the first times since 1990 used to go.

Penultimate grand sumo day 14 down to two top rikishi's at 12-2 for an exciting tomorrow finale for sure.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Happy Birthday Bio!

Congrats on the good feeling 8 miles Dave.

Wow KSA, that was a fast time for 100K.

I’ve been thinking about my winter running gear. I used to (10-15 years ago) have this all figured out. I had a nice thermal layer, but that was long ago and a few sizes smaller. My current winter running coat leaves me cold when I sweat. I don’t want to wear my expensive hiking Smartwool layers for running, as they may get too stinky. I’ve been thinking about just wearing a big ol cotton or polycotton hoodie as people did from years gone by, but now I am thinking KSA has the answer: a lightweight puffy coat from Costco. Which would cost about ¼ of the price I paid for my hi-tech winter running jacket, which doesn’t really keep me warm at all.

Jay, so sorry to hear about the embolism – but glad you are doing ok.

sub7 – I bought the 265 Garmin maybe 6 weeks ago. I am totally addicted to the phone app. I check my scores on various measures several times a day. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine. I am learning things everyday using it, like how easy it is to create a workout in the app and send it to your watch, or how poorly I sleep and how much that impacts my ability to do a decent workout the next day.

Anyway, I walked/jogged an easy 4 miles today. I waited until noon for it to warm up to 40 f, so I would not slip on the frosty roads, and there was still frost in places and overall it was very cold in shady parts. Saw the drug dealer again on my creek path. I did not feel up to looping back around to the cul-de-sac where his car was parked to get his license plate. Maybe I should just call the police and tell them the general times I see this guy, and where he hangs out. But…I would really like to get his license plate so police can identify him.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Henrun

Tet-even on short flights Iget up a lot- partly because of a hyperactive bladder😀

Happy birthday Bio.