Masters Running

Saturday 6 December Runs, etc. (Read 464 times)

Lots of great Mexican food, followed by Mexican Train Dominoes and margaritas.
    OK...No longer offended. 6 easy miles for me @ 10:30 something pace. 53F no wind. Gorgeous day in OK.
    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
      Sugar free margaritas? Holly - what are you thinking!! I say go for the gusto and have a few less chips and salsa. Make sure you salt the rim of the glass - just for a little extra water retention. Big grin Can you explain the domino game? Hey Tim - sorry you're still under the weather. It sounds like you're past the chicken soup and into the snifter of brandy mode. Oops - is anyone picking up a common thread on my post? Some nice runs today. Spareribs - congratulations on hitting 25 this week. how have you been feeling? We got the Christmas tree, but promised DS 2 we'd wait to decorate it until he gets home on leave next week. It will be so nice to have him home for the holidays - this could be the last year for a while. ETA Holly - WTG on going over 2,000 this year. Can you imagine your numbers if you hadn't been injured?!
        7 quick ones in between stuff at work...7:34 pace
        Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
        pfriese

Today’s run puts me at 2003.9 miles for the year so far. Cool
          Congrats Holly. WOW! Paul

King of PhotoShop

Spareribs - congratulations on hitting 25 this week. how have you been feeling?
            Thank you for asking. The stage of fatigue is over, and the sternum is fully healed. I can now do full stretch and core workouts too. Also, I now feel like I can run without being too winded. I am running slowly, just slower than ten minutes per mile, but I am doing this deliberately because I want to grow mileage now and there is danger in incorporating speed during mileage buildup. This is true for everyone, not just heart patients. I will have lots of time for speed next year once my mileage is over 40/week. I am also running a fiveK every month not to be competitive, but to track my progress. My minute per mile times in these fiveK's have gone: 10:24, 9:02, 8:45, 8:37. I expect to do my next one at the end of December under 8:30's. Spareribs
            Tramps

The stage of fatigue is over, and the sternum is fully healed. I can now do full stretch and core workouts too. Also, I now feel like I can run without being too winded.
              Excellent....and great to see you back on the daily.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Can you explain the domino game?
                Jlynne - Mexican Train is played with a set of double-12 dominoes. You can play up to 8 players, and each player starts their "train" from a center point. Play ends when one player runs out of dominoes, then you add up the scores of what others have left in their hand. Here's a better explanation: http://www.pagat.com/domino/train.html It's great fun, especially when margaritas are involved... Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Yummm...margaritas...mexican food..... Did 6 miles at recovery pace about 11:35 getting ready to go a Christmas party...free snackies, free booze, free cab ride home... Anyway, this might interest the ladies...I found a "little black dress" to wear to this affair...first time I have ever owned such a thing (pathetic, I don't get out much!). Steal at 40 dollars, regular $178, 100% silk Jones New York dress, so I splurged on the accesories. I am even wearing red lipstick...something I have only done about 3 times in my life before (worn lipstick at all, let alone RED), I am not joking. Hey, it looks pretty good! Somehow I think my long run tomorrow is going to be a struggle. Good night all, and enjoy the season.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

evanflein

Enke, sure hope you get a picture of yourself all dolled up! Would be fun to see... GL with the run tomorrow. I got in my longest run in quite some time... over a month actually! 10.3 miles of snowy hills with blowing snow and soft footing in spots. Pretty challenging at times. Kept thinking of the Kanye West song, "Stronger," thinking that which doesn't kill me just makes me stronger. I had to keep reminding myself that all those miles slipping and floundering in the snow would make me that much better on dry pavement. Let's hope it works!

Marathon Maniac #3309

Enke, sure hope you get a picture of yourself all dolled up! Would be fun to see... GL with the run tomorrow. I got in my longest run in quite some time... over a month actually! 10.3 miles of snowy hills with blowing snow and soft footing in spots. Pretty challenging at times. Kept thinking of the Kanye West song, "Stronger," thinking that which doesn't kill me just makes me stronger. I had to keep reminding myself that all those miles slipping and floundering in the snow would make me that much better on dry pavement. Let's hope it works!
                      I agree with ya on Enke...beautful girl!!! Erika, you just made me feel better with your 10 plus mile run...WTG...I hope I am there soon! Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

wildchild

Carolyn

Late post - I could almost start tomorrow's daily (it's after midnight on the east coast). Jlynne, that's great that your DH has started running again! I'm envious of those of you who have running spouses. Tim, get well soon, so you can get back to non-running cross training! PartyAnimalG, what instrument do you play? I'm disappointed that you didn't get pictures of you and Queen Pam all dressed up. I hope Enke comes through with some pictures for us, in her little black dress... Holly, congrats on toughing out 13 miles in the cold wind! Plus another 5 on the dreadmill! You deserve some margaritas and chips after all that. And congrats on breaking 2000 miles! Larry, you ran 3 miles in the halls at work? Shocked I hope you work in a big building - otherwise, that would be lots of back-and-forth! Spareribs, maybe the Morton Salt guys were discussing ways to counter the argument that lower salt diets are better for you... Evryday, sounds like you win the weather prize today! Where's your thread-of-the-day been lately? Erika, glad you got out for a 10-miler! I had the same trouble with running in the snow today, too. Yesterday I was busy, and unmotivated to run due to the wind and cold. Today I procrastinated till about 2 pm - I even vacuumed the house to put off running. Roll eyes But I finally headed out with the dogs and managed 5 miles through the blowing snow. Luckily it wasn't too cold - 38 degrees, but the snow was kind of slick since it was above freezing. It takes a lot of energy to run in yaktrax through drifted snow, especially uphill. I finished my run with another 5 miles on the indoor track at the rec center, so at least I managed to hit a double digit run for the second week in a row. DD is up to week 7 on the C25K program so she's running 2.5 miles straight. I told her if she stuck with it, I'd buy her good running shoes, so yesterday I took her to a Road Runner Sports and she got fitted properly. She got Brooks Adrenalines and is pretty psyched. And I'm a proud mom - she'll be beating me pretty soon, I'm sure! G'night, all.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mariposai

Great to see Erika reaching 10 miles today and Holly toughing out for 13 miles. You girls make me look weak...you two are so tough. 25d around here...2 miles in the quiet of the night.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Been outta touch since Thursday (?). Dad and I drove from Humboldt County down through the Bay Area, and ended up spending the night in Westerly, on I-5. Drug ourselves up the next day, drove 2+ hours to Bakersfield to see an aunt and uncle and drop off some parts for a VW bug we're hauling back with us, had lunch. Back in the truck and drove another 2+ hours to Ridgecrest. Am staying at another aunt and uncle's house, and tomorrow I run my Desert High 30k. Unfortunately, it's suppose to be in the mid 60s and nice and sunny. Undecided I'd much prefer the high 50s and cloud cover. It'll be a chilly start, but definitely shorts weather not too soon after we start, so I'll be baring my lily white legs to the world at large. Poor souls. Hope they're wearing their sunglasses. Early Fashion Report: white ZombieRunner hat, blue Cool Bandana, red short sleeve tech shirt, bright yellow Moeben sleeves, black shorts, hot pink printed gaiters, dirty once green trail shoes, and WHITE legs. If you're going to make a fashion statement, I believe in going all out. Leave nothing to the imagination. Wink Tim - Hope you're feeling better soon. Flu - ick. Enke - Yes, pictures please - sober or drunk off your butt. Holly - Hope the Mexican dinner party went well and you for the full gasoline margaritas. Everyone else sounds like they're doing well. Excellent! Later -

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Ran a little 5k in DW's hometown about 80 from the farm this morn. Stayed with her most of the first mile to keep her from starting too fast then she told me to go so let it rip, finished then ran back to her and ran her in. A fun experiment, I was 2 min slower than I ran that same course in June, just no way for me to overcome a slow start in a short race. Shoulda got in 5 or 6 with warmups and run in.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

free snackies, free booze, free cab ride home... I found a "little black dress" to wear to this affair...first time I have ever owned such a thing (pathetic, I don't get out much!). Steal at 40 dollars, regular $178, 100% silk Jones New York dress, so I splurged on the accesories. I am even wearing red lipstick...something I have only done about 3 times in my life before (worn lipstick at all, let alone RED), I am not joking. Hey, it looks pretty good!
                                You had me at "free snackies." Big grin
                                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM