Masters Running

Thursday, January 5 Daily runs and such (Read 460 times)

Aging parents, I am in the middle of that drama now.  It is questionable how much longer my Mum has, she should really be in a home with more care than what my Dad can give her.  And for him, still sharp as a tack at his age (87) but going deaf quickly.  The one thing all the seniors I drive have in common is a deterioration in hearing.  I always thought that was a stereotype.

1.5 miles on the TM, too windy for this wimp.  I am still babying myself with this cold/cough, but don't want to break my new streak - 6 days.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

BeeRunB

Aging parents, I am in the middle of that drama now.  It is questionable how much longer my Mum has, she should really be in a home with more care than what my Dad can give her.  And for him, still sharp as a tack at his age (87) but going deaf quickly.  The one thing all the seniors I drive have in common is a deterioration in hearing.  I always thought that was a stereotype.

1.5 miles on the TM, too windy for this wimp.  I am still babying myself with this cold/cough, but don't want to break my new streak - 6 days.

Went through that in quite intense way last fall. It can be very hard---get help if it gets to be too much. One day at a time if you can. 

Today's run:  

recovery after an LT run yesterday

30:00 at MAF pace. Long run tomorrow. Cool

Mike E

MM #5615

Hey guys!  I went for an easy 6.2 mile run in 46:16--40o!  Man, I like running in shorts in January.  I won't run, tomorrow, so I can rest up for my 5k on Saturday.  It's just a small local race put on by the student council of my kids' old high school.  I have no idea how I'll do.  I'm almost scared to see how slow I'm going to run it.  I know, it's a terrible attitude to have, but I just can't get over how much speed I've lost.  Okay--sorry--I'll stop.

Okay--that's really I have.  See ya!

wildchild

Carolyn

Man, I like running in shorts in January.  I won't run, tomorrow, so I can rest up for my 5k on Saturday.  It's just a small local race put on by the student council of my kids' old high school.  I have no idea how I'll do.  I'm almost scared to see how slow I'm going to run it. 

Yeah, Mike, you're really slow.  Roll eyes  Wish I was that slow.

Happy birthday to SloHand's DD!

I like running in shorts in January, too!  Not sure of the temperature here - warm and humid but not too uncomfortable.  I ran 5.2 miles in Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui, Costa Rica.  DH wanted me to get beer, so I picked up a six pack on the way back and ran with it the last quarter mile.  Got several honks from truck drivers.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mike E

MM #5615

Now that is my kind of guy! 

Wild: "I'm going out for my run."

Mr. Wild: "Oh, since you'll be out anyway, pick me up some beer."

SteveP

Very nice family picture Hopeful.

Slo Hand, I ask that every time one of the kids or grandson shows more maturity. Practice handing her the keys.

Thanks for the article Ribs. I said "Oh $h!t" a few times.

It's not boring to me Tom White. I look forward to your insight and .. um...um...wisdom! That's it!

JDMom3, I don't mind a treadmill on occasion. It really helps me with speed work, which I've been lacking in. I've never been attacked by a bear while on a treadmill. Nor on the trail, but that's not the point.

OH man Opie. Good luck on all fronts.

Very sweet Wildchild!

The dog and I hit the trails again! I had hoped to do a point to point and back in two hours. The big goal was 2 hours. I went out quick and after an hour, turned around. The back was slow and arduous. However, it was 55:30. Four and a half min quicker than the out. 

A number of times, I saw small animal tracks in the snow, that came to an abrupt end. An owl or hawk I imagine. There were a few tracks in the snow where either otters or minks slid down hill. I need to check a guide for paw prints. 

There is a porcupine in this picture. near the end of the run.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

This is Belvidere from the last litter and his half-brother Kugel.   Born a year a part.

Cheers!

Adorable!  Our dogs are also from the same parents, but different litters, a year and a half apart.

4 easy miles on the TM this morning.  Loss of mojo again, and then no time left when the mojo starts to come.  Hopefully better tomorrow.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

want to read the daily and shout out to all but I am so dog-tired i can barely keep my eyes open ...... casey's ashes were delivered to me today - she's home with us now but brought on another flood of tears....also dealing with some sad issues at work making for a very emotional day.

running - joined my friend Kevin today as he did repeats on what he calls Evil Hill!!  Evil is putting it mildly - it was a beast!!  5 miles of hill repeats then did a mile cool-down -- really should have done at least a mile warm-up before I met him - he actually did 2.5 mile warmup and cool-down - next week i'll know better!

Erika - you know him from kickrunners -- he is planning on tackling Equinox again!!

Mary - thanks for the doggie pics - they make me smile!Smile

denise

evanflein

Oh Yes! He's one of the lifetime Equinox runners, so can enter whenever he wants without paying any additional fees. That was a sweet deal when he did it... I missed him when he was here before, I think in 2007? He almost froze to death up there...

No run for me today. Didn't make it to the gym either so I guess it's a rest day. My damn car broke down again today too. It's always something.

Love the doggie pictures, and I think I made out the porcupine in the tree!

Swamped at work... I feel like I'll never catch up.

Maniac 505

Enke, Maybe we should introduce your Dad to my Mom Evil  My 85 year old mom is a saint,  I don't know how she does it.  My father is physically in OK shape. but.....    He also spent WW2 shooting 50 cal machine guns in a B24 bomber without ear protection.  

His hearing is a little worse than mine (I spent many years around steam turbines and large diesels without hearing protection)  I'm glad we are smarter about that today.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Hey all. Trying to stay caught up here but the wireless in the villa isn't working right so I can't use my laptop. Reading on my phone is manageable, posting from it, not so much. So yeah, forget about trying to do Twocat's workaround for the paragraph breaks, sorry... no HTML option pops up while editing on my DROID anyway, oh well... Got up early yesterday and ran a brisk 3.9 miles through the complex. Was cold, brr! 29F but no wind, had on a thin short sleeve over a thin long sleeve, running skirt, gloves and a Buff around my neck and I was fine. Race day will be warmer for sure, so I'm not that concerned. What does concern me is that my Achilles pain is back, primarily set off by the shoes I wore walking around in the park the rest of the day. Gotta hope for the best! Won't be running today nor tomorrow then, to save and rest my legs for Sunday. Started the day in Animal Kingdom on the safari ride which was absolutely amazing. Avenger Doggie, we saw so many HUGH critters, you would've loved it! The bird show was quite good too. I don't do roller coasters, but there was only one I waited through, so that was fine. As my family likes to say, stopping at the bathroom is "mom's favorite ride". Expo was fun and overwhelming (as it should be) and MrOM and I got some good stuff. The kids spent time in Epcot as we shopped, then met them there for the big pasta dinner event. Amazing fireworks show followed. Again, I'm so amazed and impressed with the outpouring of love and support here, in that "share-a-mile with OM" thread, thanks so much! You guys are all so great!! Now all I have to do is figure out how to carry that list with me, since I won't be wearing a hat and I'm blind as a bat without my reading glasses!
                          Now all I have to do is figure out how to carry that list with me, since I won't be wearing a hat and I'm blind as a bat without my reading glasses!

Your heart, OM.  Carry it in your heart.

ps.  knock 'em dead!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM