Masters Running

Tue May 12 Runs and Workouts (Read 521 times)

King of PhotoShop

Twocat, I read that blog site stuff and although much of it supports my earlier position, I didn't care much for the construction of the study with the one leg-two leg thing. Also, in my head I have divided up the suggested "user groups" for my preferred approach, separating serious competitors from more recreational, non-racing distance runners. There are some people who simply feel more comfortable taking gels during long runs and those are people whose minds I don't hope or expect to change. Tomorrow I'll try to explain my position more clearly. Tramps, I absolutely agree. Tim, I had forgotten about that, but you are right, and if you can do that exact same two miles next month you will be off to a fabulous start. By the way, that allusion to people jumping over hedges and running down the center median etc actually occurs. Those of you who have been to big crowded races I am sure have seen it yourself. What a madhouse. Spareribs
    xor

arigatou for saying that robato-san. Some of 'em are pretty stuck up and i get rejected a lot too (even when I try to trick 'em and return again mixed in with a crowd). Some things can never be figured out over here. eta/ps - did you get to do any marathons over here?
      No, and I really regret that. I might return and see what I can find. I meet lots of Tokyo folks at the Honolulu Marathon (when I stupidly do that race), and I hear about all kinds of fun races over there.

Renee the dog

I wonder what early conditioning has to add to the equation of fueling. I really feel my body/mind learned some core truths from being an athlete from a young age. Hard to put a study together to prove or disprove that one. Wink And since that young age occurred at a time when fueling during practice or an event wasn't the norm, it learned its truth. A truth for 1. So, for this one body, it is drawn towards the minimal fuel concept because it is what it knows and what is comfortable based on its history. If I had come of age in this time, when fueling is the norm, I wonder if the exact same body would have come to the exact opposite conclusion.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

robato-san, no particular reason but the Imperial Palace Marathon guys already have one of their Saturday ones set for the day before the Sunday Tokyo Marathon (currently set for 2/28/10). ps - there's accommodations at a nearby hot springs (both economical and extravaganto).

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

xor

Today's thread has hurt my head, but I can report that I ran 8ish easy miles this morning, and I'm supposed to do another 4.5 easy (aka, 'go to the post office') this afternoon. If it isn't raining.
            I did indeed go to the post office. 12.5 easy miles total for the day... plus a 2 mi walk to/from a nearby bar here in about 20 minutes. Do I get to count those miles?

Marathon Maniac #957

plus a 2 mi walk to/from a nearby bar here in about 20 minutes. Do I get to count those miles?
              If you can walk 2 miles in 20 minutes, you should indeed count them... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Whew! Is it June yet? I don't remember getting slammed with this many early mornings and late nights at school during a concert season like this one in 14 years of teaching music. Morning concert and evening recruitment event today. Two more day-time recruitment thing-ies and an evening concert yet to go this week. Plus all of the usual stuff. I know, I know, we get the "whole summer" off, blah, blah, blah. Snuck in a 2-mile run and a 2-mile walk near school between the end of the school day and tonight's presentation. (Did shower in between.) Shocked Wow, it's hilly near my school! And my unhappy ankle tendons, as my podiatrist described them, are really downright PO'd from running and walking up those hills. I'm not really liking the amount of traffic near school, either, so tomorrow it's off to Valley Forge park - where the hills are somewhat more rolling - for a few miles between the school day and the concert. Makes for a long day, but better to get outside for a little sunshine than not. Smile Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

xor

If you can walk 2 miles in 20 minutes, you should indeed count them... Smile
                  Nah, I can walk 12, but not 10. I meant that I was leaving in 20 minutes. Which I did and now I'm back, and I shouldn't be posting.

I have been shunned in two cultures... At Japanese train stations, nobody hands me kleenex, either. I am irrelevant! Cry On campus, no students hand me little flyers for upcoming concerts! I am old! Angry
                    Mariposai

7 miles post dinner, after work. Easy miles since the asthma thingie is not happy with me this week. Oh well, spring is not forever...this also shall pass.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

#artbydmcbride

Went to the track and did the group workout; warm up and strides and 800m + full set of bleachers X 4, cool down laps. Lots of smack talk. Smile

Runners run

busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Evening all.... dg - Congrats...amazing success! TimBo - I think, like others, that you are capable of much more than your training shows. I'm really looking forward to your Seattle RR. My intervals went well tonight. I was a little stiff from the weekend even after a warmup, but after the second lap my legs came back to me. It was a 2x (800/1200/800) setup. The 800s were in the 2:45-:255 range and about the same pace for the 1200s. I was very careful to get through it without risking injury. Eleven days to VCM :-)
                          -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
                          also on Twitter
                          TammyinGP

8 mi RAW Smile

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #3309

8 mi RAW Smile
                              Tammy, oh Tammy...Couldn't help it, but when I read this I saw - 8 mi in the RAW Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

TammyinGP

Surprised yikes, Tim, that would NOT be a pretty sight.

Tammy