Masters Running

Tue May 12 Runs and Workouts (Read 521 times)

Tramps

It's just that some - through personal Emails - kinda let me have it about my 23 miler with 18 at MP
    Holly, I wish you'd quit picking on the poor guy. Let Tim be Tim.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Hey, I swear, it wasn't me.... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

Barely time to run. Little time to read. Almost no time to post. 5 miles, 50:25, 10:05/mile. But I would like to say that I quite enjoyed the recent mother's day photos.
        hey Harriet... are you involved with the Atlantis/Hubble project??
          Glorious day here, 72, trees in bloom--I even have hope for our poor lilacs! 4 miles in 35:50--first time I've dipped below 9 minute miles in quite a while. Last 2 were in the 8:40 range. grins, A
          Masters 2000 miles

King of PhotoShop

I have several comments. Tim, no question that writer was paying you a compliment, but if you are getting flak about your training from others, why not post what they said, names excluded of course, and let us pick at that. As for your pace of about 7:50, Holly summed it up as I had for you some time ago. I believe you are a bit faster, but we were working to protect you in your first marathon. Believe me, the biggest challenge you will have in your marathon will be running the first mile between 7:55 and 8:10. I bet you ten bucks you don't nail it. My expectation is also that for your second marathon you focus on getting under 3:17, or about 7:30 pace. I think this is achievable down the road, but I would not advise you to risk it in this first one. Let's get around a 3:30 under your belt first. Now as to you Holly, yes, those 6Tight lippedx paces are a confidence-builder but they are also useful training for form and practicing a quicker leg turnover, so this workout has its pluses at your stage of training. I don't like to see runners doing multiple quarters at such a pace very early in track work however. For you right now, i sense you are having fun with them and it's a great workout for you in May with a June marathon coming up. dg, what fun it is to see you running and fit again. Great job. Reminder, when you have a success, don't put it at the end of the daily. Learn something from me, will you. Craneium makes a good point about the value of healthy debate, which all of you know I prefer here. I want to continue this discussion tomorrow. But before I do, let me share a story with you. I was doing my core work and someone suggested I incorporate pushups. I bet I hadn't done pushups in 20 years! So I tried to do a few and was embarrassed to learn I could only do 4! But every day I kept at it, until I got up to 20 which I can now do pretty easily (except they hurt my back). So let me ask the group to guess how it is that someone can practice doing something and get better or stronger at it. If we can all agree on the common sense logic of the body adapting to the application of stress, which is what training actually is, perhaps we can have a more informed debate. About 4+ this morning slow, as I have my track session tomorrow. As I was doing my flex workout a woman I barely know stood over me and said, "Do you have a lot of bugs at your house?" What would you say to this? I had no idea what she was talking about. While forming a sensible reply it occurred to me that she has a son in Riblet's class and the boys are doing a science project in which they have to catch about 20 insects, mount them and add a legend stating what they are. Good thing I remembered in time to say, "Yes, we now have our full quota of bugs." Spareribs
            Tramps

Healthy debate, without taking cheap shots, challenges us to critically think about what we do or say. After this critical analysis, if we are still happy with ourselves, we are that much better for making the examination and taking that risk to begin with.
              Nicely said. This is one of the reasons I keep coming back to on-line forums like this; to hear and consider different perspective and to learn from them, even if I don't necessarily adopt them myself.
              The way I look at it is this: I would never expect my car to run faster or run at all without any gas in the gast tank...neither would I ask that of my body.
              But cars are mechanical; human bodies are organic. The former doesn't grow, adapt, change (except to wear out). The theory is that by stressing the body moderately (in this case by limiting fuel) the body adapts and becomes stronger. This is, of course, the underlying premise to almost all training: stress, adapt, repeat. But it's just as plausible that by being well-fueled we can push our workout a little harder or further, stressing the body in this way, instead. That's what makes this debate a robust one. On a totally different note....I just got an e-mail from that non-race race and (hold on to your hats) the BAA is accepting any self-recorded, self-reported BQ time from this race. Confused Somebody will have to explain that one to me.

Be safe. Be kind.

nonoruns thank you so much for the references. It is easier to find academic articles if you have one to start with and so I have at least now found something! Alas, not much but here we go. For those with only an interest in the conclusions go read the last part of this post that starts with, "So if you view . . . " I went off and read some of Pedersen's work the author whose work is discussed in the blog post nonoruns linked to. That paper was written in 2002. Her latest article on the topic (2009) is titled, "Glucose ingestion during endurance training does not alter adaptation." The abs tract's first sentence is, "Glucose ingestion during exercise attenuates activation of metabolic enzymes and expression of important transport proteins" and its last "We conclude that glucose ingestion during training does not alter training adaptation related to substrate metabolism, mitochondrial enzyme activity, glycogen content or performance." I have not had time to really read either article in depth but there do seem to be some conclusions here: 1. If this is the latest evidence for training without ingesting glucose (i.e. gels and sports drinks) is a good idea then there is basically little research to suggest it is a good idea. Even the authors of the study concluded the treatment and placebo group did equally well as far as they could determine statistically. 2. The sample sizes she has are tiny 13 in the 2002 paper and 9 in the 2009 one. This naturally makes it difficult to draw out many conclusions with any conviction. In fact, most of the tests result in the conclusion that there is no statistical difference between one treatment or another. The blog poster and (naturally) the author focus on the one or two that show some differences. Bet even these are spotty with multiple conclusions being possible mostly as a result of an experimental design that mixed up pre-exercise treatments of various sorts. One group did one legged exercises the night before, the second two legged ones. Only the two legged ones were then put on either a high or low carb diet the night before. The results for the second group alone show no indication that the pre-exercise carb depletion did much since changes across the two treatments appear to be about the same. 3. The 2002 paper actually has nothing, and I do mean nothing, to say about whether or not it is a good idea to take in fuel during prolonged exercise! In the test the treatment was a low or high carbohydrate diet the night before the exercise was conducted. If you want to know if a low carb diet the night before your long run is a good idea this article may tell you something (which is basically who knows) but if you want to know if taking gels during your run is a good idea the article is not helpful. 4. Subsequent research, with seemingly better designs, do not support the conclusions in the Pedersen 2002 study cited in the blog. For example, the article by Arkinstall, et. al titled "Regulation of fuel metabolism by preexercise muscle glycogen content and exercise intensity," in the Journal of Applied Physiology concludes in the abstract that, "in moderately trained individuals, muscle glycogen availability (low vs. high) does not influence rates of plasma glucose disposal during either low- or moderate-intensity exercise. " 5. An article I am not even going to come close to vouching for, that cites Pederson's 2002 paper is a 2007 survey article by Nimmo and Ekblom, "Fatigue and Illness in Athletes," in the Journal of Sports Sciences. So FWIW here are their conclusions: Summary of guidelines for fatigue and illness Consensus for: . Maintenance of a diet to ensure sufficient calories to meet the energy expenditure demand. . High pre-exercise glycogen stores and glucose feeding during exercise. . Use of vitamin C to offset immunosuppression. . Use of fluid replacement strategies to ensure euhydration. . Holistic monitoring of athlete stress. Consensus against: . Abrupt increases in training load. . Diets that are too high or too low in fat. Issues that are equivocal: . Accurate biomarkers for overtraining. . Accurate diagnostic criteria for overtraining syndrome. . The role of IL-6 and IL-6R in overtraining syndrome and immunosuppression. So if you view their survey as unbiased and authoritative (and I have no reason to believe either way about either) then you would conclude that you should fuel during a long run and maybe even on somewhat shorter runs as well. Finally, I personally do not really care whether the answer is fuel or do not during a long run. My only interest is in knowing which prepares you better for an upcoming race. My reading of what I have looked at so far, including the survey article's text beyond the conclusions I listed, is that the truth of the matter is the evidence one way or the other is very spotty at best. If you want to err on the low risk side then fueling is probably a good idea. Repeated fatigue increases the chances of injury and illness. So, while fueling during your runs may not help with race day performance it will likely help you get to the starting line. If I find out anything new via this research thread I will let the group know. Ok, we now return you to our regular programming.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Tramps

Wow! Nice work, Twocat. Thanks for that.

Be safe. Be kind.

xor

Today's thread has hurt my head, but I can report that I ran 8ish easy miles this morning, and I'm supposed to do another 4.5 easy (aka, 'go to the post office') this afternoon. If it isn't raining.

Marathon Maniac #3309

I don't have time at all right now, but wanted to add quickly to Ribs. I kept track of my first couple miles of my Marathon last Fall with my watch, because my Garmin quit working....tall buildings I didn't think about before hand. My first mile was at 8:30 pace - mile 2 was at 8:05 pace, then I just settled into my planned MP. I finished my 16 mile Marathon at a 7:52 ave pace....I think I did the start very well considering what most thought I would do....remember this from the archives Ribs - Tim, there will be 6,000 runners. Just jog out easy. You will find your pace. The trick is not to jackrabbit start in a marathon, jumping over hedges, running down the highway median, barking at people. Force yourself to run an easy first mile, then drop down to pace. This is one of those things that a first timer just has to learn to do. You will also find it a big surprise to learn that no matter how slow you think you are running, you will probably be running too fast. You will have to experience this yourself....I still get a chuckle of the first part of this. Of all the things I am learning, the start is what I totally get...really I did indeed pay attention to this and started off the right way...can I have my $10.00 now Smile And I whole heartedly agree my first Marathon should be slower, as I actually want it that way. If I BQ great - if not big deal, then I can concentrate on my A race this Fall. 7:30 MP...don't know about that. Good discussion TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Today's thread has hurt my head
                        And it rhymes, too! Big grin Lemme see, since I do a crap job in the fueling depart for the most part (I'm getting better), I guess you could say that, subconsciously, I've been training myself to do without. Yeah, that's the ticket! Wink

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

Happy Anniversary, Nono! DG, congrats on another 1st in AG in your 5K! Tim, I remember that post about jumping hedges and running over slower runners - too funny! I think if you ran a "16 mile marathon" at an avg 7:52 pace on a bum ankle, you should have no trouble holding that pace for a 26.2 mile marathon. If your ankle hurt so badly you had to DNF, it's pretty amazing that you held such a fast pace. Hot and sunny here today but at least there's some wind to dry the sweat! 80° with low humidity (15%) and 15 mph winds. I did a 4 mile trail run to try to find some shade, but it actually felt cooler out of the woods because the wind was stronger. Hard to believe it was snowing two days ago (although that was 4,000 ft higher elevation than here at work).

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

sit by the river bank and enjoy some quiet time. Will RAW today.
                            mari - I did one in the warm waters of the Kuroshio at a seaside villa today too, I mean tomorrow. tammy - sign mari up for midnight madness swim with us.
                            I do a crap job in the fueling depart for the most part
                            hold on fizzy, i'm bring back more of the pocket tissue promotionals they give away at the train stations. timless - you're doing so great on your training even I have to admit you'll probably do just fine on the endless ascent up at mile 16 to the top of Aurora Bridge at the Seattle RnR. Just keep practicing uphill as much as possible and save your quads for Seattle. <>sdraw ret fallihnwodg nih sarht-dauq)>>>t

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

xor

i'm bring back more of the pocket tissue promotionals they give away at the train stations.
                              HA. Many of those folks wouldn't give me my tissues! Sometimes they'd turn their backs to me. I only lived there for a few months, but I missed out on a whole lot of kleenex.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

arigatou for saying that robato-san. Some of 'em are pretty stuck up and i get rejected a lot too (even when I try to trick 'em and return again mixed in with a crowd). Some things can never be figured out over here. eta/ps - did you get to do any marathons over here?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)