Masters Running

Marathon Sunday! 10-04-15 (Read 42 times)

Henrun

Note to LaTor and Robin: I just signed up for the Somerville Jinglebell 5K- hope to see both of you there. Marj is taking her GD to the Nutcracker that day-so I'll be soloing.

evanflein

Rob is incredible, 2:50... Wow! And Subdood, sweet on the PR and an awesome time as well. ^5 to you, too!

Nice impromptu 5k for you, Henry! I love how you guys can just roll out of bed and do a 5k at the drop of a hat. Nice to have that option!

<Warning... long race tale in the daily. So sue me.>

Wow, talk about a perfect positive split! Ha! Tried to stay with the 3:35 pacer, but he went out way too fast. My first ten miles were all in the sub 8:00 m/m range They should've been 8:10 to 8:12 for the 3:35 pace. I let him go shortly after that, just wasn't worth it. Came upon several of his followers walking along the course later. Met DH after 13 and gave him my jacket and gloves. Had three Gu on the course, and 2 x 2 S Caps. Did not have a cramping problem so I really think the S caps helped. I do think I'm developing a sensitivity to Gu though, because I had the same gastric distress at the end like Equinox, and afterwards... oh my. Kept thinking I should stop at a porta potty in the last few miles, but didn't want to risk losing time. So I lost time by stopping and almost doubling over when a gut cramp hit. Oy.

Course was very nice, with stretches of rural fields and farms, went through small communities with the streets packed with cheering spectators, and some neighborhoods where families were out cheering us on, offering high fives and sometimes water (and beer!). After yesterday's dreary gray drizzle all day, it was so nice to see it partly cloudy this morning and then sunny later on. I realized about half way through that I didn't have any sunscreen, and I think I did get a little burned. The only issue with the day was the constant headwind, or sometimes cross wind, strong at times coming off the fields. My eyes were burning afterward and I think it was from the wind. And now the conditions are gorgeous with clear sunny skies and temps close to 70°.

Age group awards... official results show me as second by seconds, but I think the time is wrong. It matches neither the final time texted to Peter, nor what's on my Garmin (time above, the time texted to Peter was :20 for the seconds). The "official" time shows 3:38:37.65, with the first place woman in the 55-59 AG at 3:38:28.95 so as you can see, the seconds matter! I e-mailed the race director, but since they've already announced awards I'm not sure what they'll do about it, if anything.

Took a shower at the Y (free for racers), then DH and I went to find some lunch (early dinner?) and found an Indian restaurant, which we don't have at home so decided to try it. Food was really good, but it's obviously a family business and they must live upstairs. They have kids. Wild, rowdy, noisy kids shrieking and running/stomping all over above us. I'd give them a 9 out of 10 for the food, and a 3 for atmosphere. On another note, hope spicy food from India wasn't a bad choice given my tender tummy. I guess we'll see.

Staying here in Corning tonight, then tomorrow we start our meandering road trip. Should be fun! The only time line we have is to meet Holly in WV on Friday.

...I couldn't Fall Off a Cliff in 2:50................w0w

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

...I couldn't Fall Off a Cliff in 2:50................w0w

While all that fast marathoning was going on I went to a new place today and ran 4.33 on the trails.  The place was Beech Fork State Park.  Only 9 miles from my home but it was a twisting, turning 9 miles.  Nice place to park a camper and hang out but I probably won't go back to run there.  Trail was hilly and fun, but not enough of it to get excited.

evanflien for someone slowed down by cramps you sure are fast!  Also, if I were you I would not let rtravers see your race report!

Mike E there sure are some fast people here!  You among them!

SubDood wow is all I can say!  That is a time I will never ever see!

It looks like I am still going to be sidelined for a few more days.  Last night my abdomen let me know it was unhappy with the day's events and this morning a little reminder too.    I may try again next Saturday or perhaps a day or two earlier.  The abdominal strain seems to be about gone.  Just not all gone.  As a consolation prize, I have one cigar left from the summer and decided it was either going to be tonight or not at all. My DW, quite reasonably, will not let me smoke them in the house.  Another week or so and smoking one outdoors will be a rather chilly experience.  Heck, even tonight was!  Cigar is dead.  Scotch is nearly gone.  Time for me to go back into a nice warm house!  Happy running all!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

moebo

Congratulations to Rob, Subdood and Evanflein on your very impressive marathon results today! Erika, so close to being first--awesome!

And congratulations, too, to Henry and Enkephalin on your 5ks this morning.

Nice races yesterday for LaTortuga and Tselbs (with a nice AG placement, Tom) as well!

Twocat, I hope your ab is ALL better this week...

Does anyone know how things went for Tet?

evanflein

Twocat, have you had that abdomen strain checked out? Any chance it's a hernia? Also, my DH loves a cigar in the sunshine when it's warm out. I also won't let him smoke them in the house. That's part of how he spent the last hour waiting for me to finish: reading his book by the river in the sunshine, smoking a cigar. He won't be doing that after we go home!

New skirt in town

Henry! We will have to meet up at the Jingle Bell run--tho I'm sorry I'll be missing Marj!

I'm off to find out what I'm not s'posed to read in Erika's race report...

--RT

ETA: okay, that wasn't so bad. I thought she got a sunburned!

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Great job to all the racers out there today!!

Somerville Jingle Bell is a definite want to do for me, but it falls on my weekend to work so will have to try and switch off!!

Robin - did you get the Mayflower Porter again? I loved it and was thinking about it this weekend actually!!

Called out sick for tomorrow - definitely time to make a f/u with the dr ... I just do not feel right and it hurts to breathe - not happy!!

Peace out friends!!

denise

HermosaBoy

Thanks for the virtual cheering!!!

Fairly happy with my race except I ran like a dumba$$.  Got out too fast and paid the price the second half.  Oh well, I think I was 5th in my age group and top 25 in the USATF Masters Marathon Championship (I think).

I am also reminded that I am not really a fan of the TCM course.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Fantastic racing this weekend!  Nice job, Erika!  I agree--with all the troubles you had--that was an excellent time.

I am looking forward to hearing how tet did, as well.  He might have gotten done with the marathon and decided to go for a walk...who knows...

Yesterday, was my first day with the cc kids in 4 weeks.  It was great to be running with them again.  We did some 1000 meter repeats on a cross country course.  Coach put me with the top JV boys and wanted me to push them.  These guys would have been the varsity runners back in Ryan's days on the team.  It was a tough workout.

After, practice, I headed over to the assistant coach's house and helped him move all day.  As I walked up and down the stairs with box after box...I kept wondering how I was going to get through my long run the next day...

...which is today.  I think I must have been on a high from all the excitement over all all the great racing, today, and did my 16 miler in 1:53:49.  I set out to do it at a 7:17 pace and ended up with 7:07's.

Okay--I guess I'd better get going.  Have a great week!  See ya!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Busy day for racing today.  Excellent results day to boot.

Maybe a short cliff, TW?

9.3 miles for three lake laps this morning.  I needed a non-challenging route.  A contemplative run to try and come to grips with a death in our extended family.  DW's cousin-in-law passed away on Friday from a recurrence of cancer that we thought had been beaten.  The connection may sound tenuous, but she was about our favorite person on either side of the family.  They live in Richmond, which was why I did that marathon last year.  Didn't see them too often, but always a lovely get-together.  Only 61.  Needless to say, not a lot of answers on my run, but I did relive a lot of good memories.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mike E

MM #5615

That is one of the reasons I run, too, Stumpy...we may not get all the answers, but it's nice to get alone with our thoughts.  I'm very sorry for your loss.

evanflein

Stumpy, so sorry for your loss. Sometimes the favorite members of the family aren't close or direct, but they're family still the same.

Robin, I did get a sunburn... just a bit, mainly on my forehead. That sun was strong!

Ok, so the results seem to be posted and I got 4th in my AG, so it's been a weird ride of ups and downs, but I'm still happy with the result.

Marathon Maniac #957

Wow - awesome day of racing in the Masters Forum!  Well done, all!

11 miles for me on Sunday.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."