Masters Running

Saturday's Daily, 3.28.15 (Read 40 times)

King of PhotoShop

No one kicks off the daily like Jay.  Thank you for all the warm and insightful comments.

Twocat, I know you're a data guy, but I wrote a column about running in different shoe brands because they all have different lasts, and the idea was supported by a local podiatrist who is also an Ironman finisher. same logic as carpal tunnel syndrome. While we don't have the research, what makes intuitive sense?  I never run in one shoe brand two days in a row. Mix up the experience you give your feet. Does that make sense?

The Saint and I ran a tenK today and while I am just coming back, she hasn't lost anything.  This is a small race, maybe 300. I ran 1:01, of course way out of the money, but she ran 58 minutes and easily won her AG. I was so proud of her.  She wore a bright orange shirt and I could see her ahead of me by over a quarter mile or so after the turn and she looked strong. What a day for us.  I had not one twinge from my injury, but I have to say I worked very hard in this race, a 9:52 effort.

Now a story from our visit to UT.  They always take you to a visit to a dorm. Of course the moms always ask about safety and co-ed bathrooms and all the dorm amenities. We've been through this on a jillion tours and it was all about reasonable stuff.  But in the foyer leading to the dorm rooms there was a beautiful grand piano.  Hudson sat down and played about a minute of the opening to "Rhapsody in Blue".  I gave him ten bucks.  Spareribs

Hudson sat down and played about a minute of the opening to "Rhapsody in Blue".  I gave him ten bucks.  Spareribs

You realize that with that little episode, he has officially become a college chick magnet.

Mike - The grandkids soccer game is probably over by now, but hope you had fun!

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mariposai

But in the foyer leading to the dorm rooms there was a beautiful grand piano.  Hudson sat down and played about a minute of the opening to "Rhapsody in Blue".  I gave him ten bucks.  Spareribs

I love this kid!

Rhapsody is Blue is one of my favorites, in fact, I use it for smile miles.

Gorgeous day around here, but a very hard day for a runner to keep a pace, due to the gusty winds coming from the south. The plan was to do a ghost half marathon on the orchards in bloom route since I have not raced since last May, not counting the Rosie Ruiz relay, and I needed to remind my brain what is ahead of us at Boston. Well, the plan did not go well. I had one of those terrible runs that I will not bore you to tell you about. I finished the run, but I was trashed. On my way home I stopped to take a picture of our first orchard in bloom. Omak in the background.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

New skirt in town

I love Sara Bareilles!  My son goes to summer camp on Lake Sebago in Maine, and last summer we visited on a Sunday.  We arrived during their "chapel" session, which is non-denominational, inspirational, and held out of doors on log seating in the middle of the woods. We arrived a bit late, and so we tiptoed in through the back of the session, so that our son (and everyone else!) wouldn't be distracted by seeing us come in to the clearing from the front.  The boys (it is a boys' camp) we singing the song "Brave" so clearly and sweetly as part of their chapel talk, I took a video.  You can't hear it well, but it captures some of the magic of hearing their sweet voices singing her beautiful words in the middle of the woods.  (turn up the volume) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMcJBTGwU8w

Today I ran my last long run before Boston.  19.2 miserably slushy, snowy miles along the marathon course left me shivery and cold for hours later.  Meeting Tedy Bruschi and a gorilla helped a bit...

I am very excited to have passed the $20,000 mark for my Melanoma Foundation of NE fundraising. This is a terrific organization...I'm on the Medical Advisory Board and so happy to be running for them and supporting their education, patient support and prevention mission. I'm so proud to have been able to support them to this level...and many of you have been part of that, so THANK YOU!

Mmmm....sweet, sweet taper!

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

New skirt in town

Posy, I always, always, always remind myself that after a lousy run, I always have a great one.  Not only is that a pattern that repeats itself, it honestly makes me a little joyful when I have a lousy run, because I look forward to the next wonderful one!!

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

mustang sally

Bad faerie

I had a three-hour ride slated for today, but it was in the low 20s when it was time to go out.  Going fast in that kind of cold is just too awful.

So I jumped on my mountain bike instead and trundled around a huge trail system nearby.  It all went well until around noon (only crashed once!)  when the sun hit the frozen trail and turned it into mush.  It's just not cool to ride in mud here, as the clay will happily set into tire-track terra cotta for the rest of the year.  (This is a marked contrast to my BC upbringing, where being coated in filth is part of the experience to be embraced).

I wanted to be a good citizen (and alsotoo hate cleaning terracotta off my bike) so departed the trail at the next road crossing and started trundling my 30# dual-suspension monster along the blacktop back toward the trailhead.  I didn't really know where I was but headed generally south and east and suddenly found myself in the hamlet of (I am not making this up) Hell, Michigan.  I took the requisite selfie in front of their general store and ambled onward, but want you all to know:

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

<ducks and runs>

New skirt in town

Link us up with the selfie!

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Well, okaythen.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I was just browsing my summary and noticed my total logged mileage is now 5000.1 miles.  So I had to go back and see when I started logging.  it appears that I've been doing this since 6/06--longer than I thought.  A long ways to go to get a worldy (or whatever it was that ribs called it).  it may not be a lot compared to 2000 mile a year folks, but I guess i'll keep plugging along.

Sally--you certainly have a way with words.  And selfies.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

evanflein

Yes, she definitely has a way with words. I love the way Sal writes! Love the selfie from Hell, too. I wish more riders around here had your sense of community, or preservation, or whatever it is. We have some bikers that ride the trail behind campus, which is fine, it's a multi-use trail. But when it's muddy, they leave deep ankle-twisting ruts that last the rest of the summer unless someone goes with something mechanical to scrape them down. Which doesn't usually happen, so I'm always worried about tripping on the ruts or twisting an ankle. Grrrr.

Nice 10k for the Saint, and Ribs too! She really is doing so well, it's been fun to watch her coming along.

Mariposai, they can't all be good runs. Think about what went wrong... fueling? Pacing? Just not your day? Whatever it is, I agree with Robin that there rarely seem to be two bad runs in a row, so your next run should be good.

Ok... am I the only one who doesn't know who Tedy Bruschi is? I had to Google him... pretty cool, a linebacker saxophonist, not something you see every day. Ditto for a gorilla, although I understand he's out there on the course a lot.

All in all, I guess it was a much better day to be in Fairbanks, Alaska than it was in most of the eastern part of the country. Beautiful sunny day today, no wind and temps in the upper-40's. I spent too much time at work, but got a lot done that I've needed to get done this week but never could get the uninterrupted time to do so. My reward was a most excellent run home on mostly dry roadsides and paths. Kept the pace pretty steady and didn't push it. Had much better pacing than Thursday's run. 9.1 miles, 8:15 avg pace, 40+ for the week so far.

Marathon Maniac #957

I love this!

Well, okaythen.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

........Claire Visit Today..........she is skipping TWO Birthday Parties to see her Mimi and Grandaddy....

does it get any better??

I think not

No higher praise than that!

Congratulations to The Saint on her AG win!

Robin and Mariposai - I love that thought about a good run following a lousy one.  I will try to keep that in mind when I get back to regular running.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

I don't have too many rules about what I do while running.  However, many years ago, I made a small mental list of things that I just will not do during a run that I follow to this day.  One of the items on that list is to never hug a gorilla...wearing bunny ears.

I didn't really know where I was but headed generally south and east and suddenly found myself in the hamlet of (I am not making this up) Hell, Michigan.  I took the requisite selfie in front of their general store and ambled onward, but want you all to know:

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

<ducks and runs>

A popular place for events, too. MarkGuy and I met up there at the Hell Creek Ranch for a 10K a few years ago. (You've either got really long arms or used a selfie stick for that photo. )

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"