Masters Running

GARMIN HR Monitor Strap Test - please participate! (Read 384 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Every time I wear my Forerunner HR strap upside down I get very whacky readings - low heart rate readings that go lower the longer I run. The other day my average HR was 50! I found this on the Garmin website: 1. The forerunner 305 heart-rate monitor is to be worn with the logo right-side up, directly on the skin just beneath the breastplate. TimBo thinks that I am goofy. Mainrunnah wore his upside down today and got acurate readings. I am thinking that he is goofy. If you have a Forerunner HR monitor will you please wear your strap upside down for a run and post your results here? Thanks! Not Goofy Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

evanflein

Um, Mary... wouldn't it be easier to just wear it the right way? Not nearly as much fun, I guess... If I ever get to really run again, and I remember to wear the thing, I'll give it a try, just for research sake, ok? Wink

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Yeah - I normally DO wear it right side up, but sometimes I am sleepy, no glasses and can't read the lettering, so I mistakenly put it on upside down. This is just for my sanity fun.

~Mary

~unknown

Marathon Maniac #3309

I'll try it tonight riding my stoopid cycling trainer...just to prove you are not goofy Big grin Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Subject #2 reporting in. Strapped on Garmin upside down to chest. Went out for 5 miler, easy. Garmin seemed to be working correctly pre-run, but once I started jogging, HR shot up over 180 (mine is set to beep at that rate, so I thought I was going to be in for a noisy run). It then seemed to right itself and started going down. Way down. Stats: pace Ave. HR Mile 1: 9:02 164 Mile 2: 8:35 120 ------ this is too low for my average when running Mile 3: 8:43 135 Mile 4: 8:33 143 Mile 5: 8:29 132 I think I would normally average 145-155 for this level, weather, and intensity. End of report.
            Masters 2000 miles

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Thank you Aamos! Now will you go out and do the same 5 miles wearing it right side up? Wink Maybe this'll turn out to be a wimmin vs. men thing ....

~Mary

~unknown

You know I would, but my boss might not quite understand the project.......
                Masters 2000 miles
                  I'll try and remember to wear mine incorrectly tomorrow, ma'am, then will wear it correctly on Friday. I'll report the results of both days, ma'am. Fatozzig Signing Out (PS - Subject #2 aka Aamos - How do you set the Garmin up so that you get those per mile results??)

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I have to tell you that I am way to OC to even try this. Just the thought of it is making me twitch. Roll eyes Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

I'm with the Beer Man. Much, much to OCD to mess with mine. Sorry! Embarrassed Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

too funny --- the same thing happened to me when i put mine on upside down by mistake once --my HR reading were all over the place!!

denise

Marathon Maniac #3309

Mary Mary Mary..you are a goof ball. I wore my HRM tonight up side down for an hour on my bike trainer. Results....43 BPM resting HR...137 ave HR, and 162 max when I pushed it the last 10 minutes. Seemed like the norm to me, but this is the first time I have wore my HR monitor in probably a year. Goofy Mary Big grin TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

OK normally I am way to OCD to do this as well. However, I am also one who likes loves a challenge which was why I wore mine upside down the other day. So I will give it a go again later today and record my results here. By the way did you also notice that the web-site lists wearing it with the monitor on your back if you continue to have problems? What's up with that? Confused
                              I wore my strap upside down today for an easy run...the first mile was really messed up,after that it seemed to fix itself
                              Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                              Tramps

I was halfway through my run this morning when I thought "Damn! I was supposed to wear my HRM upside down!" Science sometimes has setbacks. I'll try to remember tomorrow.

Be safe. Be kind.