Masters Running

Solstice Sunday, June 21, 2015 (Read 36 times)

evanflein

Since I'm still up I figured I'd start the daily! Why not, right? 

Happy Fathers' Day to all you dads! As Leslie said yesterday, never underestimate the impact you have on your kids. My dad is awesome and I'm so happy to still have him around! He turns 88 on Tuesday.

Last night's Midnight Sun Run was good! It's funny, I can never tie the time to any specific feeling, effort or happening. Last year, I started strong but had terrible GI distress in the last couple of miles. Right after mile 5, I was sorely tempted to ask a friend if I could use her bathroom! But I didn't, and finished in 46:35 or something like that. This year, other than a slightly slower start because of a crowded start, I ran about the same time (46:31) but felt strong and good throughout! So... why would one year that felt so awful (at least at the end) come up with almost the same time as the next year that felt so good? Who knows. But I won my AG, and was 25th overall woman (27th last year) so I'm happy with the results. Weather was good; it was hot all day, but we got some thunderstorms that came through late and brought light rain and wind before the start which dropped the temperature about 10 degrees and put the sun behind clouds. So it was low 70's with spotty sunshine at 10 pm for the start. It really was nice!

One side effect of the really nice day before the race... the race goes through a lot of neighborhoods where people have lawn chairs out to cheer on the runners, kids with hoses to spray you (if you want it, usually) or sprinklers set up, some impromptu bands or music and overall a real party atmosphere. Today, it was obvious some of those parties got started pretty early... I sure hope none of those revelers are driving anywhere tonight! It's interesting running a race through neighborhoods with drunken parties on either side....

Have a good day, all! I'll check in later to see what you all are up to on this gorgeous Solstice Sunday!

Marathon Maniac #957

Nice racing, Erika, and especially so since the race starts so late.  I can barely stay up until midnight, let alone run at that time.  Congratulations on your AG win!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

Fly by...leaving for Church in a few minutes.

Happy Fathers Day Dads.

An easy 11.5 this morning.

Mike E

MM #5615

Solstice Sunday...most daylight of the year...from here on out the days get shorter...winter is right around the corner...it's the beginning of the end...I don't like it.

Oh...but happy Father's Day to all the dads.

Happy Father's Day to all!!

Woke up to rain coming down in sheets - what a difference a day makes!!

denise

...mornin' guys//..........My Father's Day present is a surgery appt for Aug-1st

(hey, beats getting another Tie)

........surgeon says

he may only have to do a Partial Hip Replacement,

which gets me up sooner,

and

then he and Pickles both threatened to Kill Me if I started Jogging again

Jay is my New Role Model.

============

30-min bike ride in 8o's this morning, all hill repeats in the highest gear (which makes it more difficult)

trying to build up the muscle groups so they'll recover faster

couple of 30-min poolruns this week

mostly

finishing clearing out the store,

followed by 24-48 hours of back spasms>>>>>>>>>Mr Sunshine Strikes again

,,,,,,,,,,good running to the rest of you, it's actually a relief to have a date set,,,,,,

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Congratulations, Dee!  Sounds like a tough but fun time.

Mike - Those shoes . . . . I had to go out to my car and get my sunglasses so I could get a good look at them.  I think I got a bit of a sunburn from the photo.    Guaranteed to make you run like the wind, though!

Erika - That run sounds like a lot of fun.

I'm sitting on the couch trying to pull myself together to go run, when all I really want to do is grab a mug of coffee, stayed curled up in my robe, and watch a chick flick.  *sigh*  The sooner I go the sooner I get back, right?

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Congrats on a greta race, Erika. I was asleep by 10PM yesterday.

Thanks for the wet blanket on Soltice Day, Mike

Get out there and run, Leslie!

Ran 8 Floridian-conditions miles this morning, but at least no thunderstorms as originally predicted. Met up with streakin' perchcreek at my turnaround point and ran some with him on the way back in.

At least the advance predictions are showing IRC for this coming weekend's Charlevoix meet-up event.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

wildchild

Carolyn

Mike, I just got a new pair of NB shoes with bright pink laces, and it's kind of distracting running in them, because they keep catching my eye.  And they're not nearly as bright as your new shoes!   Guess if you wear sunglasses, you'll be fine!  Here's a pic of me in my new shoes yesterday:

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

mrrun

Mike - Henry has a pair of shoes of the same color which he wore all through France.  He got lots of comments on them.

Today is a TOTAL washout with rain, more rain, followed by guess what - more rain!  

Denise and Erika - nice racing

TW - congrats on a date

Holly - happy anniversary

marj

King of PhotoShop

I like the New Balance Fresh Foam series, and have 3 pairs of them.  Great colors.  Yours too Mike.

Nice racing Deez, EK and Aamos.  22 for a young lady like you is just great.

It's drizzly and overcast today, cool in low 80's and of course very humid, but the Saint and I found some places to run and did 9.8 pretty slow miles.  soon as I got home I had to renew my bowels.  Today it's dinner at Spare Tire's house. He's smoking a prime rib.

Watching baseball and the U.S. Open, channel switching a bit.  Spareribs

evanflein

I was looking for a new pair of my New Balance 1400s (version 1) and the only color I can find in my size is a shockingly bright yellow with orange trim. I may go back and get them...

Hey Mike, I sort of have that feeling here, too, but try not to be such a downer about it. But here, we watch the minutes drain away so fast by the time fall comes, it can be depressing. But then the best Christmas present is turning the corner and gaining those minutes back. Sure, it's still cold for awhile, but the return of the sunlight is awesome! Today on Solstice, there's a big festival downtown all afternoon and most of the night. We don't get much sleep around here in the summer months!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I love your attitude erika. It's okay now but I've been up there in the fall with such an overwhelming sense of dread for what's to come, . . . . until it came and us skiers (and northern lights watchers) couldn't have been happier.  Hope you have a wonderful summer compared to last year's deluges.  Lot's of fires to the south though.

yay deez. don't stop there. \

I've done half's that were harder than some fulls.

"Enjoy yourself.  Your younger days never come again."

wildchild - having done both, volunteering's

a lot more fun when you've done one first.

good luck.

Found a perfect Father's Day cure for cursing the constant lethargy that seems to have been slogging my legs this year. Took just-turned 6-yo GS for a seven minute ride on the tourist tram up to the timberline that I used to run up from sea level to 1,700 feet in 40 minutes and found out that walking down for his first time was as thrilling as the hundreds of times I'd gone up for ptarmigan or just hiking in those days. 
                            “Karson, wait for Papo!”
                            “Ohhhhhhkay, <<<(exasperated)>>>> I’ll wait,"

Then, as I approach, "just kidding”

as he sprints down the next swithback.
                            He finally tired though and I got to piggyback him much of the rest of the way.”

No wonder I love getting old so much. 
                            It didn’t hurt that much either when, after showing my senior ID, I said, “sure do, we went to high school together” to the ticket window kid wondering, “do you know my grandfather ______” and said, “the ride’s on us.”

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tramps

Solstice Sunday...most daylight of the year...from here on out the days get shorter...winter is right around the corner...it's the beginning of the end...I don't like it.

Oh, but imagine the cooler running temps!  Ahhhhh!

Nice racing, Erika.  That's sounds like quite a party scene!

Am I the only one who never changes shoes?  Every time I try something new, I don't like it as much as my old Asics GT-1000's, so I go back.

H&H 10 miler today.  Kind of brutal; took several breaks to avoid overheating.

Feel-good running-related story of the day, Runners Without Borders.

Be safe. Be kind.

Starr, sorry to hear about your family member with cancer.  Hope the surgery goes well.

Deez, half ironman?  Wow....awesome and congrats!

Good racing, EK, and others...

Happy Papo Day to those who are.  And those who aren't too (Jay, Tramps, am I missing anyone?) - I know you are terrific role models for our youth.

I must say I had so many chuckles reading the witty posts from you all the past few days, that I think I am going to have to become an RA addict again, whether or not I run much.  The Chicago lyrics for one thing.  The "flaming" flamingo-coloured shoes Mike bought....wow.  And my pals in the once-every-3-weeks-vacuuming-is-enough camp!

Checked the spreadsheet - yup, Door#33.  Alias - Mr. Blue Eyes.  We had a nice 3rd date last night.  Boy, I didn't get home until 2 am.  Apparently bars are open until 2 am?  And we ate at a restaurant in a "hip" part of town, and walked past so many nightclubs with these youngsters that looked about 17 lined up to get in.  It didn't make me feel old, until I woke up this morning after only 4 hours of sleep.     How the heck did I do that kind of thing in my twenties and thirties?  Mr. Blue Eyes had cycled 100 miles yesterday, and didn't seem the least bit tired!

You all know I am Canadian, and here is fun fact I found out only last night - Mr. Blue Eyes is Canadian!  Well, in the sense that he has Canadian citizenship (via one parent), but wasn't born and has never lived in Canada.  But, cool nonetheless.  I may just have to take up cycling...  

Oh yeah, I ran 5 miles at Bridle Trails on Saturday.  I was hoping for 10, I felt great and knew it would be no problem, but I got a bad pain in my "good" foot and had to stop.  I think I need new shoes.  Or maybe I need to take up cycling?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."