Masters Running

Thundering Thursday Daily 9/4/14 (Read 34 times)

BTY

Thanks Andrew. I've used the reserve formula before and the numbers I get for training ranges bed on my previously established max and resting HRs still strike a familiar chord. I've usually put my programs together using the McMillan calculator which has a few more training ranges than what I see on that site (likely due to limitations of my BlackBerry).  Aside - my lowest HR Of the day is always at around 930 am, just before coffee break. My dreams seem to bring my wakeup HR at least into walk around rate.

Twocat, sorry about the tough day yesterday.  I hope today was better.  Steve, I like the first day of school picture of Noah.  starr, you've made big improvements in your running.  Blazin, nice picture of your daughters (and clean truck) on the first day of school.  Aamos, it sounds like you had a fun, fun run.

This morning, it was in the mid 60s and there was a light wind.  I got in 5 miles at an 11:33 pace.

This afternoon, while running the roto tiller in the garden, I ran into a nest of bees.  At first, I thought I'd hit a patch of nettles as it started stinging around my ankles.  I looked down and saw it was bees and they got my lower legs pretty good with a few stings on my arms.  I put some stuff on the stings, finished the garden, and had supper.  A portion of my lip swelled up even though I hadn't been stung there.  then I got some red splotchy spots on my arms where I hadn't been stung.  I didn't feel bad but my wife got panicky and dragged me to the after hours clinic at the local hospital.  By the time I saw the doctor, the symptoms had diminished a bit.  He said my immune system went on alert because of the stings and was reacting with the symptoms I had.  They gave me a steroid shot in the butt and sent me on my way.  My butt was more bothersome than the bee stings.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

The heart rate stuff is way over my head.  I wish I were smarter...and taller.

All them bee stings turned out to be a pain in the butt...glad it wasn't more serious, Tom.

Last night's run got cut to 2 miles because my son's car broke down and I had to go get him...another good reason to not run on the treadmill.

Tonight's run was a warmup of 3 miles in 23:40--3 miles in 20:04--and a 3 mile cool down in 23:38.

Okay--I gotta go...there's a good game on.

They gave me a steroid shot in the butt and sent me on my way.  My butt was more bothersome than the bee stings.

Dang, Tom!  Talk about not catching a break!  Very happy things didn't get worse.  . . . . and ps - if it'd been my hub, I would've dragged him to the doc, too.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

Sunday is my Tough Mudder. My goal is not to come home in an ambulance

Saturday I have a 50k, and my goal is to finish before it starts raining.  The forecast is showing a 42% chance of rain starting about 2 pm (the race starts at 8 am).   My 50k PR is 6:34, so it might be close... and this race is 33 miles.    I think I'll make my secondary goal not to come home in an ambulance - good goal!

Blazin - pretty daughters, and nice truck!

Aamos - dang, you're fast!  And fun!

Enke - nice wave run!  I haven't done one of those in ages - mostly because all my running has been in the mountains, where terrain dictates pace more than anything.

Holly, I hope that  calf pain turns out to be nothing.  Don't you have a marathon this weekend?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

They gave me a steroid shot in the butt and sent me on my way.

uh huh.  No wonder you're still running so fast

with nine-and-ten minute miles.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

I hope you reach your goal, JLynne

Aamos, that does sound like quite a fun run

Love the picture, Andrew.

Ribs, that sounds  like a greta education.  maybe you could guest lecture on when it's OK to tie a jacket around your waist while running.

Oh my gosh, Leslie. 

^5.2 Enke.

That sounds interesting BTY.

TomS! Holy Yikes!!!!!

Steve - what is hurting?

My muscles feel like they're sunburnt. I feel like I have the flu, however, my temperature is between 95.9F and 96.7F. There isn't any noticeable weakness. The last flare up was from January to the middle of August.  I rate the discomfort on a scale of 1-10. 10 being the most uncomfortable. The last time I was at a 9, I wore two pairs of compression shorts and compression sleeves to work. When Amy mentioned a series of Florida races in December, I panicked. Discussing it with the Drs has been frustrating.

I was at a job site unloading. One of the crew said that the driver from last week brought donuts, OJ, pencils, t-shirts and hats. I was the driver from last week and I really don't remember that. So I told the guy that the company sent a stripper. Most of the crew liked that idea until I took my shirt off and started screaming for tips. Sadly, I did not have change for a dollar.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

TomS - ouch!  And I agree with Leslie, I would have dragged my DH to the dr as well.  Better safe than sorry.

Carolyn - good luck at your 50K+ tomorrow.  Which one are you running?  And yes, I am running a marathon on Sunday - Canton City Marathon.

Steve - that is puzzling, and must be alarming as well.  Do they have any clue what is the cause?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."